Speculation: Say the Habs do end up signin Tavares AND Stastny, does that solve their problems short term?

MarkyMarkov

Jan 31, 2010
I think you can get away with Danault as your 2c if Tavares is your 1c.

Yeah probably, and Poehling would hopefully eventually be in the 2 spot. I think if they don't sign Tavares you have to just suck and not sign anybody, especially someone like Stastny. But if they get Tavares then it might be worth it to take the risk on Stastny to be competitive in year 1 and really go for it in Price/Weber's prime.

MisterY

May 7, 2010
Enigmatown
Since a player cannot sign a contract of more than 7 years, unless he signs with the team that holds his rights...

What if Bergevin and Tavares agreed on a 8 years contract, if the habs can acquires his rights before July 1st.

To do so, the Isles ask for our 1st round pick.

Would you do it?

mtl_felix

Sep 10, 2006
Lavaltrie, Quebec
I wouldn't sign him for free (aside from the cap hit), so no, I would not. You can't possibly win with so many holes on the roster, and you can't rebuild with guys like Tavares around.

Reactions: OldCraig71

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
Since a player cannot sign a contract of more than 7 years, unless he signs with the team that holds his rights...

What if Bergevin and Tavares agreed on a 8 years contract, if the habs can acquires his rights before July 1st.

To do so, the Isles ask for our 1st round pick.

Would you do it?

No, it is a tough one, but we need young foundational pieces.

habsfan909

Feb 20, 2018
No chance. Getting Tavares doesn't make us a real contender. Our 1st pick builds towards a future where we might be.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
I wouldn't sign him for free (aside from the cap hit), so no, I would not. You can't possibly win with so many holes on the roster, and you can't rebuild with guys like Tavares around.

Don't worry, he's not coming here anyways. Not a chance. He'll likely stay on the Island or go to a team that's close to a cup like Vegas, etc... If he leaves, it's to go for a cup.

Reactions: mtl_felix

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Build the team properly. That means not overpaying Tavares by ridiculous amounts. How’s he worked out for an average team on Long Island?

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017
If John Tavares values winning a Stanley Cup, he won't sign with the Habs regardless if Bergy wants to make him the NHL's highest paid player.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
You overpay for guys like Tavares. You overpay for guys like Karlsson. You overpay for guys like Dougty.
You overpay for the kind of players that can change the game.

If you have to offer an extra million or two to ensure you get them, you spend it.

When you hear MB say teams aren't giving up their 1C in a trade. And then you see a few being traded. But the argument is that the price is too expensive to trade for one. Well then here is your opportunity to get one (and one of the elite to boot) without having to empty the already bare cupboards. All he will cost you as a UFA is money.

And he's in the prime of his career.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 5