Speculation: Say the Habs do end up signin Tavares AND Stastny, does that solve their problems short term?

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
Win 1st Ov. Bring back Markov. Sign Tavares/Statsny.

Galchenyuk - Tavares - Gallagher
Pacioretty - Statsny - Drouin
Lehkonen - Danault - Hudon
Byron - DLR - Deslauriers

Dahlin - Weber
Markov - Petry
Mete - Juulsen

Bye Bye Shaw/Alzner
Better win the cup next year with this lineup, because after this we are f***ed! Pacioretty and Byron are UFAs and Scherbak, Hudon and Lehkonen are RFAs.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
Oh Man that would be epic! HF Boards would explode.

Bettman: "The 2nd overall draft goes to the Otawa Senators!" Thast means the Habs will pick 1st overall in the 2018 NHL Draft since they win the lotery!

One month later on TSN: " The Montreal Canadiens have just signed John Tavares and Paul Stastney back to back!!"

BOOM! HF Boards is obliterated! LOL

But if you believe in Karma, last years off season was so unbelievably bad, that this year could be unbelievably good.

Dahlin, JT and PS would surly constitute an unbelievably good summer to counter last years disaster! :sarcasm:

That would send Habs fans over the edge, ticket prices through the roof, merchandise sales on a scale we've never seen, a growth in fan base not seen in ages. And personally I would buy a new T.V.

And that's about all I have to say about that subject.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Zadina/Svech - Tavares - Drouin (dominant top line)
Lehkonen - Danault - Gallagher (shutdown 2 way line '2nd line')
Galchenyuk - Stastny - Scherback (the unofficial 2nd line; gets the much easier assignments; main purpose is to score)
Byron - De la Rose - Deslauriers

xxx - Weber
Mete - Petry
xxx - Juulsen

Price
Niemie/Lindgren

This team is still awful on LD. Unless we draft Dahlin (if we win lottery) but then we're awful at #1LW (unless we keep pacs, who has no chemistry with Drouin).

Regardless, we should stick to one or two more years of tanking...

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013
Forget Stastny id throw tons of money towards Carlson if Tavares comes in it might be appealing and then i would dump Alzner by even adding a pick in order to dump him for an AHLer

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
New-York Yankees of montreal.

Can't buy a championship anymore.

You have to develop it from within your system aka being good at drafting and developement.

With Bergevin on a short leash and the spotlight on him to do something now, does anyone believe he's going to dedicate all his efforts to developing a team for a time when he won't even be around as GM anymore?

I wish we didn't have to entertain options like in this thread but it looks like this is where we're headed. Throwing money at free agents -- what kind of hockey expertise does it take to get that done? "Geoff, how about we add another Million to our original offer?" I don't buy the likes of Tavares ending up here -- Stastny is more the type of player we're going to end up overpaying for.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
That defense needs an overhaul. It's a mess.

Weber - already showing signs of slowing down, and coming off injury
Mete - mid-season, MB called him 'almost NHL ready'. not sure why he was there if he wasn't ready. No goals.
Alzer - awful
Benn - awful
Petry - looks good at times, but awful other times. minus collector.
The rest - aren't locks to make the opening day roster.

Priorities should be:
1. #1 center
2. #1 LHD
3. #2 center

If they sign Tavares and win the lottery, then they can look at Stastny ... if they still need him after the Pacioretty trade.

If they don't win the lottery, they could draft a player like Hughes, who will need a few years of development before having an impact. So, no point in Stastny because this slows down the defense overhaul. It's why they call Dahlin a "franchise changing defenseman". He can have an impact right away, which could change the direction of his team.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
So there are a few reports out there that the favourites to sign JT are the Montreal Canadiens.

Also there have been reports that Stastney will sign here as well.

Let's say for the sake of argument Habs end up signing both JT and PS does that automatically make them contenders? Barring of course MB completes a couple trades.

I mean Max Pac will need to be traded, probably to upgrade defense.
Maybe shed a contract or 2 to make space.

Drouin - Tavares - Gally
Lehky - Stastney - Galchy
Hudon - Danault - Byron
D Lo - DLR/Froese - Shaw

Mete - Weber
Traded D - Petry
Alzner - Juulsen

That new forward corps looks much more balanced. And the fact that almost all our forwards are versatile they can be moved up and down and from side to side on the line-up is a plus.

Now is the defense still too weak to make this team a contender?

What do you Habs fans think?

Tavares has better players around him now than he would in Montreal. Last time I checked they are not in the play off either.

So no.

There are not too many teams JT could go to where his play would likely drop off. But Montreal is one of them.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
With Bergevin on a short leash and the spotlight on him to do something now, does anyone believe he's going to dedicate all his efforts to developing a team for a time when he won't even be around as GM anymore?

I wish we didn't have to entertain options like in this thread but it looks like this is where we're headed. Throwing money at free agents -- what kind of hockey expertise does it take to get that done? "Geoff, how about we add another Million to our original offer?" I don't buy the likes of Tavares ending up here -- Stastny is more the type of player we're going to end up overpaying for.
Its how the leafs used to do it. Throw money at free agents. Take an entire season to debate whether it worked out. Then "wait till next year"

Istvan

Nov 17, 2003
SoCal
Visit site
It's fun to speculate. At this point far more fun than watching the team play. For me the speculation is severely tempered by the fact that MB ( who has PROVEN to be very poor at his job ) has been entrusted to improve this team. The gm who said you have to build through the draft now postulated to be rebuilding by signing FAs. The gm who claimed that this year's d ( lmao) was better than last year. The gm who lacked the respect for Markov which he had EARNED during his tenure. As long as this incompetent, arrogant product of nepotism is gm it's irrelevant who he might sign because he's simply scrambling with no discernible plan and JT + PS can't fix a systemically broken team. "Trump lite".

Last edited:

brianp1950

Sep 28, 2017
So there are a few reports out there that the favourites to sign JT are the Montreal Canadiens.

Also there have been reports that Stastney will sign here as well.

Let's say for the sake of argument Habs end up signing both JT and PS does that automatically make them contenders? Barring of course MB completes a couple trades.

I mean Max Pac will need to be traded, probably to upgrade defense.
Maybe shed a contract or 2 to make space.

Drouin - Tavares - Gally
Lehky - Stastney - Galchy
Hudon - Danault - Byron
D Lo - DLR/Froese - Shaw

Mete - Weber
Traded D - Petry
Alzner - Juulsen

That new forward corps looks much more balanced. And the fact that almost all our forwards are versatile they can be moved up and down and from side to side on the line-up is a plus.

Now is the defense still too weak to make this team a contender?

What do you Habs fans think?
really? in two years we will need to sign Galychenyuk, we will have no cap space, forget trades just draft the best players like all other teams that rebuild. How long did the Leafs play this gme before,they finally caught onIf we trade our best crop of draft choices in over a decade Molson, and MB should be run out of town

habsfan909

Feb 20, 2018
Truth is if Price doesn't get his **** together then we will not be contending until the end of his contract.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
That would send Habs fans over the edge, ticket prices through the roof, merchandise sales on a scale we've never seen, a growth in fan base not seen in ages. And personally I would buy a new T.V.

And that's about all I have to say about that subject.
Okay Forrest lol

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
A good topic for a thread since we all know that this team will never commit to a proper rebuild. It's going to try and reload by signing whatever name players it can. Rinse and repeat.

Tavares is a pipe dream. He probably re-up's with the Islanders but if he does walk he probably won't walk that far. He'll move from Crooklyn to Manhattan and play for the Rangers. The only teams in the league which Tavares would want to avoid playing for more than the Habs are teams which aren't in on the Tavares sweepstakes to begin with.

Stastny could wind up with the Habs. He'll be well paid to come to this Siberian outpost and he's at the perfect age to start declining so he'll be perfectly in keeping with what management has been doing lately. And the sad part is that even in decline Stastny will easily be the best center we've had since Koivu, who himself wasn't even a #1 pivot on a contending team.

Tourist

Nov 26, 2014
Of course adding Tavares and Stastny would make the team competitive short term, but it would still go nowhere if Price is injured/terrible or if Weber is injured. Both of these guys also need to become relevant again for any short term success to happen.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Zadina/Svech - Tavares - Drouin (dominant top line)
Lehkonen - Danault - Gallagher (shutdown 2 way line '2nd line')
Galchenyuk - Stastny - Scherback (the unofficial 2nd line; gets the much easier assignments; main purpose is to score)
Byron - De la Rose - Deslauriers

xxx - Weber
Mete - Petry
xxx - Juulsen

Price
Niemie/Lindgren

This team is still awful on LD. Unless we draft Dahlin (if we win lottery) but then we're awful at #1LW (unless we keep pacs, who has no chemistry with Drouin).

Regardless, we should stick to one or two more years of tanking...
Who you get in return for Patches?

You have to add that in your equation man.......

My guessing is, depending where we draft, that will dictate the return. If we draft first, (Dahlin) expect a centre coming back and we sign let's say Kane. If we draft 2-3-4, we draft a top winger (Svechnikov, Zadina, Tkachuk, Whalstrom) and trade Pacioretty for a #2 LHD+ (Matheson) and sign Statsny.

Tavares signing is all speculation but what the hell, that's what this board is for......unlikely but very possible we get him

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
We also need to quantify the meaning of "short term" because if you're looking to win with Price, Weber and Stastny as your core short term is really short. Unfortunately, there are several other ancillary moves that the Habs would need to make in order to be a real Cup contender and there just isn't the time, the available assets or the combination of front office brains and balls to get all that done within the small window of time during which those core guys can do you much good. Once that window closes your core players morph into salary cap anchors which keep you stuck in mediocrity for the better part of another decade.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Of course adding Tavares and Stastny would make the team competitive short term, but it would still go nowhere if Price is injured/terrible or if Weber is injured. Both of these guys also need to become relevant again for any short term success to happen.
But you cannot not sign Tavares on the assumption that your current star players may get hurt. Roll the dice and sign both......injuries will happen if they happen.

Imagine not signing them having the opportunity just to see both Weber and Price have good years......I'm sure this board would be very forgiving and understanding :sarcasm:

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
I see Stastny as a damned-if-you-do, damned-if-you-don't move. I understand he will help somewhat short term, but I really don't think he'd be a sufficient upgrade for the contract he'll require. I think he's sailing firmly into 3C territory and we're fine in that regard.

Jul 6, 2016
I don't expect Habs to win the lottery and draft Dahlin 1st overall. And for me the next 10 players ranked in the draft are about the same. + No real potential franchise #1 centerman in that bunch. Mostly wingers and few d-men. So it's doesn't matter if they draft 3rd, 5th or 7th.

Tavares could be signed, and Habs should trade to get a good 2nd line centerman like RNH.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
I don't expect Habs to win the lottery and draft Dahlin 1st overall. And for me the next 10 players ranked in the draft are about the same. + No real potential franchise #1 centerman in that bunch. Mostly wingers and few d-men. So it's doesn't matter if they draft 3rd, 5th or 7th.

Tavares could be signed, and Habs should trade to get a good 2nd line centerman like RNH.
No to the Nuge.........

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Man there are going to be some dissapointed people when we don't draft top 3 or sign Tavares and/or Stastny...

Hate to be that guy but temper those expectations.
I think we all know theres a very good chance that's gonna happen, think all we discussing here is what we would LIKE to happen........:)

Reactions: King In Glory

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009
I would say the Habs would immediately be a top contender out of the East with that proposed lineup.

But wow, will be tough enough to fit Tavares into the cap let alone Statsny.

I think it makes more sense to trade for a young center that can step behind Tavares and learn and grow semi sheltered.

Pacioretty for Borgstrom, Vilardi, or Thomas and let them jump right into lineup and learn with their growing pains.

Tourist

Nov 26, 2014
But you cannot not sign Tavares on the assumption that your current star players may get hurt. Roll the dice and sign both......injuries will happen if they happen.

Imagine not signing them having the opportunity just to see both Weber and Price have good years......I'm sure this board would be very forgiving and understanding :sarcasm:

Of course if management's goal is to be competitive short term they should make a serious push to sign them all the while not knowing if Price and Weber will bounce back. The thread asks if the the Habs would have their problems solved short term by signing these two. My answer to that is if Price and Weber are a combination of injured/terrible, then no the problems would not be solved, as in the Habs would be better but still not a real threat. But if Price and Weber are in top form than yes signing Tavares and Statsny would fix a massive hole and make the team quite competitive.

Reactions: jaffy27

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad