Say something positive thread

SidDidNothingWrong

Beau's IcedCapp
Jan 2, 2014
Pouliot, Maatta, Sundqvist, Kapanen, Jarry, Murray

For the amount of **** our GMS get, they have found some gems. I am sure we can flip one of our goalies for a premium forward too. I understand that this does not validate any of our breakdowns recently, but we have had to use 5 defensemen instead of 6 and we are missing our best defensive defenseman and our best offensive defensemen. Any team would struggle. Not fold like a piece of toilet paper, but struggle. I am salivating at the thought of a team with Sundqvist, Kapanen, and Määtta added next year.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Pouliot, Maatta, Sundqvist, Kapanen, Jarry, Murray

Pretty much this, i'll add Harrington and Domoulin as well and we still gots Sid and Geno. Horny too.

Thats pretty much it folks.
Oh and Cole, of course.

cajal

Go Pens!
Dec 13, 2007
Miskatonic U
Watching Sid and Malkin when they're on is a real treat.

Watching Hornqvist play with an incredible amount of heart is great as well.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I really love our 3rd jersey

This is up there with Fleury's resurgence and many other changes that get masked over.

The team took some steps forward. It was really not gonna happen overnight as much that has changed.

My plus is they did go forward and change actually did happen.

joeyjake5

Feb 23, 2014
A successful blow-up that makes this team a legit contender for the next 5 years.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
A successful blow-up that makes this team a legit contender for the next 5 years.

I don't think the roster needs a blowup, assuming you define a blowup as a change in the core. What this team needs is some major trimming of the fat.

Sid, Geno, Hornqvist, Letang, Maatta, Pouliot. That's who you build around.

Kunitz, Sutter and Scuds need to be traded. Adams needs to walk. Martin too, but that's because he's going to get payed too much, not because we wouldn't want him on the team.

I think everyone else is somewhere in the middle. In the right situation and for the right price, the rest of the guys we have can play a role on a championship caliber team. But they are also more-or-less replaceable with a decent trade or free agent signing.

edit: But this is all in the wrong thread.

DoktorZaius

Feb 7, 2013
If you want something positive, it's that Olli will hopefully be fully healthy for next year. Olli Maatta is a game-breaking player for us, night in night out. And if our management team can get their heads out of their ***** for a minute and remove Scuderi from this roster, it's possible we could field a pretty good team next year.

roquay

Aug 9, 2012
Victoria
Hornqvist has become my favourite player on this team!

Changing my dogs name from Crosby to Horny probably won't go down to well though :laugh:

displacedpensfan

Dec 23, 2008

To that list I'd add Fleury; he has absolutely not been a part of the problem this year. At lower levels I'd add Harrington, Kapinen, and Sundquist to build around. I also want to see BB get a fair shake. Aside from those pieces, anyone else is fair game.

Aug 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
I was going to post this in the Salary cap thread, but it's closed.

I know some of the media chuckle heads and a small number of people in here have mentioned trading a core player, and most here know better, but in the spirit of being positive I'd like to point out that we are probably in a similar situation as the Caps a year or two ago. They refrained from moving any core pieces even though Backstrom, Ovie, Green, etc all had bad years and the Caps missed the playoffs. Instead they trimmed some of the fat, management, coach, and now they are going into the playoffs hot, and have about a good a chance as anyone to make a run. They even came off an instantly bad trade as well, an even worse trade then Lovejoy Despres. All they had to do was go out and find some support, and let their young guys play. Maybe Pittsburgh can take a page out of their book and do the rational thing.

Agree about some of the other positives in that hopefully there is room for some young guys next year.
Cole's game has been better than expected so there's that.
Sid/Malkin/MAF/Letang all had/are having good years.
Hornqvist is a breath of fresh air.
Beau has shown flashes, and considering his minutes and playing situations its about all you can ask for. Hopefully a summer of rest improves his health. He has at least gotten over the injury plague it seams. :Knocks on wood:

um...The PP has no where to go but up?

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
To that list I'd add Fleury; he has absolutely not been a part of the problem this year. At lower levels I'd add Harrington, Kapinen, and Sundquist to build around. I also want to see BB get a fair shake. Aside from those pieces, anyone else is fair game.

Goalie is just a completely different situation when talking about replacing a guy than any other, so I left him off the list. Fleury is a mid-tier goalie getting mid-tier goalie money. I wouldn't be looking too hard to replace him, but I certainly wouldn't call him untouchable either; assuming a replacement was available.

I like all of those other guys too. I think they can and will help us if they are here. We shouldn't be trying to get rid of any of them, but none of them have earned a place in our core certainly.

Last edited:

joeyjake5

Feb 23, 2014
I don't think the roster needs a blowup, assuming you define a blowup as a change in the core. What this team needs is some major trimming of the fat.

Kunitz, Sutter and Scuds need to be traded. Adams needs to walk. Martin too, but that's because he's going to get payed too much, not because we wouldn't want him on the team.

I think everyone else is somewhere in the middle. In the right situation and for the right price, the rest of the guys we have can play a role on a championship caliber team. But they are also more-or-less replaceable with a decent trade or free agent signing.

edit: But this is all in the wrong thread.

Pens don't have the cap space or assets to do it. They would have to use their prospects which is a very shallow pool.

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
We still have 91% chances to make the playoffs? lol.

That % isn't based on recent results but rather on times that we weren't injury plagued, thus this % doesn't represent... The present.

The scope is too big to be precise.

Lol indeed brah!

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Pens don't have the cap space or assets to do it. They would have to use their prospects which is a very shallow pool.

I don't think we'd have much trouble getting rid of the worst of it. I am still confident that somebody would trade for Kunitz and Sutter. Maybe not great returns, but we wouldn't be paying them to take them. Scuds could probably be shipped off in the off-season too.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
Fleury has been great this year.
The 3rd jerseys are gorgeous.
Watching Hornqvist makes me wish I could see a team where every player was Patric Hornqvist.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad