Rumor: Say it aint so Dats!

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Right. He should hang around and play until he can't skate anymore to make you happy.

What a ridiculous ****ing notion

Are fans going to crucify Zetterberg when he doesn't fulfill the last 2-3 years of his deal because it won't be worth it for him?

He won't have accomplished enough for the honor for me simple as that.

Zetterberg still has an outside shot.

Really I can't possibly put Datsyuk up before Fedorov anyway. He also shouldn't go up before Kelly and he would have had a hard time changing that if he signed a couple year extension. Without it no dice.

Datsyuk is the second best Russian I have seen play for us. Now that will probably make some people angry.

CloneHakanPlease*

[mod]

... but if you don't think there is a possibility Datsyuk is at least considering going home I don't know what to tell you.

-He still doesn't speak fluent english and hasn't had a Russian speaking teammate since Salei. I'm sure he gets by with small talk, but do you have any idea how lonely and aggravating that must get after awhile? You can only express yourself so much in a language you aren't very fluent in.

-His ex-wife took his daughter to Russia. This in my mind is easily the biggest factor. Pavs seems like the type of guy to care more about that than money or legacy.

-He can get more money in Russia regardless. So he'd be more comfortable and making more money.

-He won't have to play with Abdelkader and for a coach that seems hell bent on limiting his creativity.

The writing is on the wall folks. Credible or not, Kukla is just telling you what many people have expected for a long long time. From his perspective, it's just the better deal. I swear some of you people have this ridiculous ego trip about the Wings. Don't take it as a personal insult to the franchise and fans, take it for what it is, the right move for him.

Last edited by a moderator:

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
He played 10 years, given that it was illegal to go straight to the pros that age is too young.

30 years old in football isn't far off of leaving this early in hockey. The star running backs don't last beyond mid 30's often, but it was still early.

I get all that Datsyuk has accomplished, I will always like the guy and be thankful for him being here. Of course I still have great admiration for Fedorov and all that he helped us accomplish. Like I said the narrative will write itself and I do think some people are going to be angry.

I will say this, his jersey should not hang from the rafters if he does this.
Why on the world would it play a part in his jersey retirement? He isn't in his prime abandoning for more money. He isn't taking off because a rift with the front office. He isn't leaving because we suck.

He's going to be around 37 when he leaves. He's leaving to go home. He wants to be near is kid. He wants to be able to play a couple years in his home country. These things should be applauded not held against a player.

I usually agree with most you have to say. I'm not getting where you are coming from on this issue.

RedWingsNow*

He won't have accomplished enough for the honor for me simple as that.

Zetterberg still has an outside shot.

Really I can't possibly put Datsyuk up before Fedorov anyway. He also shouldn't go up before Kelly and he would have had a hard time changing that if he signed a couple year extension. Without it no dice.

Datsyuk is the second best Russian I have seen play for us. Now that will probably make some people angry.

So if he stuck around for two years and put up 110-120 points, that makes a difference?

That's bloody ridiculous.

Pavel is having this franchise more than 10 years of jawdropping, beautiful hockey.
He's been a Hart finalist. He's won two cups. At times, he's been the best player in the world.

He's got 3 Selke Trophies as best defensive forward. He led the team in scoring 7 or 8 seasons.

He's among the alltime most productive Red Wings despite a full season lost to a lockout and 1/2 of another season.

But you need him to put up a couple 55 point seasons...

No offense, but that's clueless. And it shows you don't understand what "greatness" actually is.

lilja4mvp*

I don't follow either enough to confirm or deny this but if you don't think there is a possibility Datsyuk is at least considering going home I don't know what to tell you.

-He still doesn't speak fluent english and hasn't had a Russian speaking teammate since Salei. I'm sure he gets by with small talk, but do you have any idea how lonely and aggravating that must get after awhile? You can only express yourself so much in a language you aren't very fluent in.

-His ex-wife took his daughter to Russia. This in my mind is easily the biggest factor. Pavs seems like the type of guy to care more about that than money or legacy.

-He can get more money in Russia regardless. So he'd be more comfortable and making more money.

-He won't have to play with Abdelkader and for a coach that seems hell bent on limiting his creativity.

The writing is on the wall folks. Credible or not, Kukla is just telling you what many people have expected for a long long time. From his perspective, it's just the better deal. I swear some of you people have this ridiculous ego trip about the Wings. Don't take it as a personal insult to the franchise and fans, take it for what it is, the right move for him.

i agree that datsyuk is done after next season. that doesn't change my previous statement, though.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Why on the world would it play a part in his jersey retirement? He isn't in his prime abandoning for more money. He isn't taking off because a rift with the front office. He isn't leaving because we suck.

He's going to be around 37 when he leaves. He's leaving to go home. He wants to be near is kid. He wants to be able to play a couple years in his home country. These things should be applauded not held against a player.

I usually agree with most you have to say. I'm not getting where you are coming from on this issue.

He will turn 36 that summer. It has more to do with the games and numbers, he needed more time to get there.

He also actually might have his best chance at the Hart Trophy next year though as scoring is easier in the East which might help.

It is not a hating thing getting your jersey retired with the Detroit Red Wings is one of the hardest things to do. Right now on resume you cannot argue he deserves it over either Fedorov and especially Kelly. He would be the first guy (not including Sawchuk as a goalie) to never be the captain. Even Kelly was a captain, I just don't see him with the standards they have attached to that, getting that honor without a little more time here.

He is a HHOF right now, like the day he leaves especially since they are supposed to include his Russian stats, the MVP during the last lockout and all his international accomplishments. That isn't what I am arguing about and to be clear I don't have a problem if they decide to do it, Pavel was/is a very special player. I just don't think he deserves it over Fedorov to date and if he leaves it is hard to see how he will have closed the gap in the 20 games and a year he has left.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
If hes gonna retire trade him. Could get a kings ransom for him at the deadline next year, I know people will be like "OMGZ he needs to retire a wing" but would you rather end up like the leafs the last 8 years or replensih the prospect pool and speed up a rebuild

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
And that Eastern Conference reasoning makes me doubt this is reliable at all. I doubt that's a part of Datsyuk's decision.

Agree. That part reads like a troll post on the mains. I mean, really? The eastern conference is more physical? Haven't noticed that before...if anything, the eastern conference seems a lot closer to the KHL at times...

CloneHakanPlease*

Stop.
Wings aren;t moving Datsyuk

I know they won't, but do you think they should?

If next year we aren't in the playoff hunt why not send him to NJ so he can light it up with his boy Kovalchuk and have one more chance of a cup. Jersey is almost as ****** and cold as Detroit and Russia so he'd be right at home.

Is two months of Pavel toiling away on a non-playoff really worth giving him one last shot at a cup and a 1st and a few good prospects? If I am Holland I would at least approach him and ask if he'd like to be traded at the deadline next year. Then again, if I were Holland, this team wouldn't have half the players on it for horrible contracts.

RedWingsNow*

If hes gonna retire trade him. Could get a kings ransom for him at the deadline next year, I know people will be like "OMGZ he needs to retire a wing" but would you rather end up like the leafs the last 8 years or replensih the prospect pool and speed up a rebuild

LOL.
So you might get a first and a prospect.
Big Whoop.

Kenny trades away firsts for Kyle Quincey... and we just bury prospects in Grand Rapids anyway

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
He will turn 36 that summer. It has more to do with the games and numbers, he needed more time to get there.

He also actually might have his best chance at the Hart Trophy next year though as scoring is easier in the East which might help.

It is not a hating thing getting your jersey retired with the Detroit Red Wings is one of the hardest things to do. Right now on resume you cannot argue he deserves it over either Fedorov and especially Kelly. He would be the first guy (not including Sawchuk as a goalie) to never be the captain. Even Kelly was a captain, I just don't see him with the standards they have attached to that, getting that honor without a little more time here.

He is a HHOF right now, like the day he leaves especially since they are supposed to include his Russian stats, the MVP during the last lockout and all his international accomplishments. That isn't what I am arguing about and to be clear I don't have a problem if they decide to do it, Pavel was/is a very special player. I just don't think he deserves it over Fedorov to date and if he leaves it is hard to see how he will have closed the gap in the 20 games and a year he has left.

We are talking about two different things here. I responded to what I perceived to be a claim from you that he shouldn't have his jersey retired based on his choice to leave.

I don't mind someone making an argument whether or not he deserves it. That's completely subjective and a legitimate debate.

I simply take issue with anyone that takes offense to his decision to leave. If someone uses that as an argument against jersey retirement is just being petty, imo.

If that's not what your statement was then my mistake for misinterpreting your meaning. But you worded it as such.

RedWingsNow*

Fedorov's jersey has very little to do with his performance. And more to do with the way he left.

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground

If next year we aren't in the playoff hunt why not send him to NJ so he can light it up with his boy Kovalchuk and have one more chance of a cup. Jersey is almost as ****** and cold as Detroit and Russia so he'd be right at home.

Is two months of Pavel toiling away on a non-playoff really worth giving him one last shot at a cup and a 1st and a good prospect?

I think Datsyuk would pull a hellavu lot more than that, unless that 1st is top 5 and the prospect is a blue chipper.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
So if he stuck around for two years and put up 110-120 points, that makes a difference?

That's bloody ridiculous.

Pavel is having this franchise more than 10 years of jawdropping, beautiful hockey.
He's been a Hart finalist. He's won two cups. At times, he's been the best player in the world.

He's got 3 Selke Trophies as best defensive forward. He led the team in scoring 7 or 8 seasons.

He's among the alltime most productive Red Wings despite a full season lost to a lockout and 1/2 of another season.

But you need him to put up a couple 55 point seasons...

No offense, but that's clueless. And it shows you don't understand what "greatness" actually is.

No I understand what he is, but greatness is merely one of the requirements for the honor we are talking about.

I am not going to engage in another one of your the only one that possibly understands what hockey is exchanges.

I stated right now him leaving in a year places him behind Red Kelly and Sergei Fedorov in the people I feel should be retired.

If they want to retire him fine, but he hasn't really earned it to the standards of what they have held other to, it would be a departure from how the Wings do it.

It would be good for Datsyuk as he is a great player, just not a banner player for me right now. A part of that is with him sticking around I think they would bounce back in a big way setting up the next generation, if he leaves after next season all credit goes to Zettterberg who already is close to Pavel in this conversation and holds the big trump C card when you look at who they retire traditionally.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
how can anyone be angry at a guy who goes home to be with his daughter and family and friends?

i still think he sticks around and signs two one year deals(like lidstrom) if we're a playoff team

RedWingsNow*

Is two months of Pavel toiling away on a non-playoff really worth giving him one last shot at a cup and a 1st and a few good prospects? If I am Holland I would at least approach him and ask if he'd like to be traded at the deadline next year. Then again, if I were Holland, this team wouldn't have half the players on it for horrible contracts.

Should the Wings have traded Lidstrom last year?
Should the Wings have traded Fedorov? Yzerman? Shanahan?

There are certain players you don't move unless they want to go.

Datsyuk/Zetterberg are those guys.

10 years from nobody is going to care if the Flames got a first round pick for Iginla.

That first round pick may or may not become an NHLer.

But what Flames fans will take pride in is a life-long Flame.

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
Barry left when he was 28 years old or something.

Pavel is leaving at 35-36 with two cup rings -- if he goes.

He played 10 years, given that it was illegal to go straight to the pros that age is too young.

30 years old in football isn't far off of leaving this early in hockey. The star running backs don't last beyond mid 30's often, but it was still early.

I get all that Datsyuk has accomplished, I will always like the guy and be thankful for him being here. Of course I still have great admiration for Fedorov and all that he helped us accomplish. Like I said the narrative will write itself and I do think some people are going to be angry.

I will say this, his jersey should not hang from the rafters if he does this.

Not sure that Pavel's situation compares to either Sanders or Fedorov. Especially Barry- he left the Lions after 10 seasons at age 30 which marks the start of a typically steep decline in production for virtually all RB's in the NFL (Pavel would remain far more productive in his mid-30's than Sanders would have in his early 30's). The constant losing for that bottom-feeder of a franchise wore him down, but he returned the favor by screwing the front office by announcing the retirement right before training camp, which didn't give them the draft or FA market that year to look for a replacement.

Sanders refused to repay part of his signing bonus at first, and the Lions sued him. He then changed his mind & offered to repay the desired amount if they would give him his release from the team (he clearly was looking to play elsewhere). That didn't work out and he didn't have much to do with the franchise for years.

So yeah, that's a level of acrimony between player and team that simply wouldn't exist if Pavel goes to Russia after his contract ends. He'd be leaving a winning team to go home, not to play for another NHL team. So unless he pulls a Sanders and announces his retirement right before camp, it's a different situation. It really would be the same petty fans who boo Hossa for leaving for a better contract who would think less of Pavel- everyone else should be grounded enough to see the full picture.

RedWingsNow*

No I understand what he is, but greatness is merely one of the requirements for the honor we are talking about.

I am not going to engage in another one of your the only one that possibly understands what hockey is exchanges.

I stated right now him leaving in a year places him behind Red Kelly and Sergei Fedorov in the people I feel should be retired.

If they want to retire him fine, but he hasn't really earned it to the standards of what they have held other to, it would be a departure from how the Wings do it.

It would be good for Datsyuk as he is a great player, just not a banner player for me right now. A part of that is with him sticking around I think they would bounce back in a big way setting up the next generation, if he leaves after next season all credit goes to Zettterberg who already is close to Pavel in this conversation and holds the big trump C card when you look at who they retire traditionally.

Pavel's record stands on its own.

If you need two more 70-game, 60-point seasons, you don't have a clue what Greatness is all about.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
We are talking about two different things here. I responded to what I perceived to be a claim from you that he shouldn't have his jersey retired based on his choice to leave.

I don't mind someone making an argument whether or not he deserves it. That's completely subjective and a legitimate debate.

I simply take issue with anyone that takes offense to his decision to leave. If someone uses that as an argument against jersey retirement is just being petty, imo.

If that's not what your statement was then my mistake for misinterpreting your meaning. But you worded it as such.

I just think it cuts short some of the time he can make for an argument, as right now he is just outside. Like I said I would not be mad if he gets retired, I would be very happy for Pavel. He has been a great guy and great player throughout most of his career. But like I said the standards are pretty high here, which is something I like. We will see if he has done enough, history suggests he has not.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Pavel's record stands on its own.

If you need two more 70-game, 60-point seasons, you don't have a clue what Greatness is all about.

It certainly does, it is a Hockey Hall of Fame resume/record. That isn't what we are talking about, those jerseys that hang in the rafters go well beyond greatness, surely you understand that while trying to give these backhanded snide shots. We aren't talking about whether or not he is great player, I will say it over and over I really do like Datsyuk just not to a God fearing status like some of you. He is a great player, among the most talented I have seen in my life watching hockey. But right now I don't think you can put him in the rafters by the standards the Wings have used to retire those to date.

RedWinger10

Feb 11, 2013
If Detroit does well in the East next year, and Datsyuk has a good year I think he may consider a 1-2 extension. He sure wont stick around if they play like they are this year. Especially if they keep giving him a bunch of Tards as wingers.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00