Rumor: Say it aint so Dats!

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
If this is "blog" is true a couple things need to happen.

1) Holland does his best to get a verbal commitment from Pav that he will sign a 2 year extension in the summer.

Assuming Holland cant change his mind he must look at how we faired over these back-to-back road trips

2) If we pull off a 4-2-2 record, we go for broke at the trade deadline, pouring most of our assets into players that will have a direct impact on the end of this season and all of next season.

3) If we pull a 3-3-1 record, sell Pavel now. Maybe we can pull a return like Zibanejed +. That would go a long way towards rebounding after Pavel leaves.

RedWingsNow*

Datsyuk does want to go home and go home healthy. It could be he has thought about the physical issue being a deciding factor too, but overall, he just wants to go home.

I wouldn't be surprised.

But what I do take issue with is all the stuff about the Eastern Conference.

Was that Iwo talking? Was that Iwo's source speculating? Or was that Datsyuk?

See what I mean?

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
I wouldn't be surprised.

But what I do take issue with is all the stuff about the Eastern Conference.

Was that Iwo talking? Was that Iwo's source speculating? Or was that Datsyuk?

See what I mean?

Not to mention, didn't we see 'sources' from Iwo's blog over the summer about how Suter 'bought an Escalade in Dearborn'. Until I see a reliable member of the media say something of the sort, I'll remain skeptical. I wouldn't be surprised if Datsyuk did retire from the NHL after next season, but this all seems like fan speculation.

Malkin, Kovalchuk and Ovechkin all hinted at wanting to stay in Russia, I think for a lot of guys they say what they want the media to hear. But I wouldn't doubt Datsyuk wants to finish his career in the KHL like Fedorov did.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
Yeah, that didn't make any sense... at all.

Apart from the Western conference being the one with a "rougher" reputation, the East offers a MUCH better travel schedule along with game times that are actually reasonable.

Of course it's perfectly possible that Datsyuk leaves and returns home once his contract is up. He owes us nothing. His family is there, his home is there... if it makes him happy then I want him to leave.

I highly doubt that his line mates this past month will influence his decision to head home or not. That's not the kind of player Pasha is, also we still have the rest of this season, and the next one... so I don't see how that factors into anything.

I take a little bit of issue with the "he owes us nothing" part. I'm not saying he's obligated to stick around until he turns into Cleary, but we DID make him rich as ****. He plays a game to entertain us and in return we shower him with more money than 100 of us could put together in our combined lifetimes. So "he owes us nothing" is a little bit of a stretch.

aar000n

Oct 16, 2006
Not to mention, didn't we see 'sources' from Iwo's blog over the summer about how Suter 'bought an Escalade in Dearborn'. Until I see a reliable member of the media say something of the sort, I'll remain skeptical. I wouldn't be surprised if Datsyuk did retire from the NHL after next season, but this all seems like fan speculation.

Malkin, Kovalchuk and Ovechkin all hinted at wanting to stay in Russia, I think for a lot of guys they say what they want the media to hear. But I wouldn't doubt Datsyuk wants to finish his career in the KHL like Fedorov did.
Lidstrom also hinted at wanting to play at home

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Lidstrom also hinted at wanting to play at home

He wouldn't make more money to do so, I am not saying that is all Datsyuk cares about but lets be honest Datsyuk is probably going to get north of 10 million US to play in Russia.

I do find the part about the Eastern Conference hilarious.

Also worth noting his agent rather publically stated he thought he would sign another short deal and that would be his advice. I guess we will see.

Be a shame if a part of how he is remembered is as the star HHOF Red Wings player that couldn't keep the streak going and then ran away. Some of you might think that way to harsh but we will see how the narrative forms over time.

RedWingsNow*

I take a little bit of issue with the "he owes us nothing" part. I'm not saying he's obligated to stick around until he turns into Cleary, but we DID make him rich as ****. He plays a game to entertain us and in return we shower him with more money than 100 of us could put together in our combined lifetimes. So "he owes us nothing" is a little bit of a stretch.

He literally owes us nothing.

Do you hold it against Brian Rafalski that he retired with a year left on his deal?

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

He doesn't owe us anything, it is his choice and right as a free agent. It will shape how he is remembered, the reference to Barry Sanders is an interesting one. While Barry remains popular and celebrated in Detroit, the affection people have for him isn't nearly what it seemed like it would be, considering some people feel like he quit the team and city before he had to.

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
As a 50 year fan of the sport, Datsyuk has given me more thrills than any player I've watched. Good on him if he wants to go home. All good things come to an end. That's why you need effective management of talent

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground

I get the argument that we took a chance on him in the 6th round and he turned into a superstar partly because of the development system but don't you think
12 years
750+ Games
750+ points
2 cups
3 Selkes
4 Lady Byngs
2 Hart nominations
4 all star games
And just letting us see his amazing skill is payment enough? I do.

RedWingsNow*

He doesn't owe us anything, it is his choice and right as a free agent. It will shape how he is remembered, the reference to Barry Sanders is an interesting one. While Barry remains popular and celebrated in Detroit, the affection people have for him isn't nearly what it seemed like it would be, considering some people feel like he quit the team and city before he had to.

Barry left when he was 28 years old or something.

Pavel is leaving at 35-36 with two cup rings -- if he goes.

GT500x

Im OK where we're at
Jun 15, 2008
My comfort zone
He wouldn't make more money to do so, I am not saying that is all Datsyuk cares about but lets be honest Datsyuk is probably going to get north of 10 million US to play in Russia.

I do find the part about the Eastern Conference hilarious.

Also worth noting his agent rather publically stated he thought he would sign another short deal and that would be his advice. I guess we will see.

Be a shame if a part of how he is remembered is as the star HHOF Red Wings player that couldn't keep the streak going and then ran away. Some of you might think that way to harsh but we will see how the narrative forms over time.

The streak will be remembered as ending with Lidstrom's retirement. Everything else will be remembered as a result of that, including player departures.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
As an outside observer, that whole Eastern Conference stuff is a load of B.S. as far as I'm concerned. The Western Conference is not only better, but it's more physical and more defense-oriented. In the East, there's Boston. And then???

Seriously, that Eastern Conference suggestion is completely out to lunch.

Teams like St. Louis, Nashville and Columbus would send me back home WELL before Montreal, Buffalo and Ottawa would.

What a joke.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Barry left when he was 28 years old or something.

Pavel is leaving at 35-36 with two cup rings -- if he goes.

He played 10 years, given that it was illegal to go straight to the pros that age is too young.

30 years old in football isn't far off of leaving this early in hockey. The star running backs don't last beyond mid 30's often, but it was still early.

I get all that Datsyuk has accomplished, I will always like the guy and be thankful for him being here. Of course I still have great admiration for Fedorov and all that he helped us accomplish. Like I said the narrative will write itself and I do think some people are going to be angry.

I will say this, his jersey should not hang from the rafters if he does this.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
As an outside observer, that whole Eastern Conference stuff is a load of B.S. as far as I'm concerned. The Western Conference is not only better, but it's more physical and more defense-oriented. In the East, there's Boston. And then???

Seriously, that Eastern Conference suggestion is completely out to lunch.

Teams like St. Louis, Nashville and Columbus would send me back home WELL before Montreal, Buffalo and Ottawa would.

What a joke.

Even at 35 in his send off year, I think you're about to see his highest point total, half the teams in the east are content to trade, Datsyuk might break 100 points over there.

stratego

Oct 31, 2008
People who would be mad at Pavel for leaving are probably the same ones who boo Hossa when he comes to town.

Players are obligated to play their contracts. Beyond that, he's free to go where he chooses. He's given us exceptional hockey and we should just wish him well and be grateful we got to see his level of play so much more often than other markets.

Dafgat

Dec 7, 2011
Rostov-on-Don
Russian most popular and biggest newspaper "Sport-Express" declare that Datsyuk is not going to prolong his contract with Red Wings. According to a "Kuklas Korner" linked at reliable inner source in team.

This is so sad but he deserve to play his last part of his own play for his folks.

I'm Russian but I don't want him to go. I am cheering for Detroit since 1997 when I'm take a first look at this league and that is most difficult thing ever to watch his retire...

Is this the end of the era?

Here's the link
http://news.sport-express.ru/2013-03-14/573412/

RedWingsNow*

He played 10 years, given that it was illegal to go straight to the pros that age is too young.

30 years old in football isn't far off of leaving this early in hockey. The star running backs don't last beyond mid 30's often, but it was still early.

I get all that Datsyuk has accomplished, I will always like the guy and be thankful for him being here. Of course I still have great admiration for Fedorov and all that he helped us accomplish. Like I said the narrative will write itself and I do think some people are going to be angry.

Right. He should hang around and play until he can't skate anymore to make you happy.

What a ridiculous ****ing notion

Are fans going to crucify Zetterberg when he doesn't fulfill the last 2-3 years of his deal because it won't be worth it for him?

Cursed Lemon

Registered Bruiser
Nov 10, 2011
Dey-Twah, MI

That is ********.

Datsyuk would not be leaving us for money, stardom, or any other pretentious crap like that. He'd be leaving for the same reason Nicklas Lidstrom left the country - he gave his best years and he wants to go home.

Datsyuk is one of the most impactful Red Wings to ever put on the sweater. His name could very justifiably be put up right next to Nick's.

PredsFanFromla

Jul 10, 2010
louisiana
I may not like the detroit red wings,but i am gonna miss datsyuk in the nhl,,nobody can dangle the entire Predators Team like Datsyuk can.

GOOD LUCK IN THE FUTURE PAVEL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad