Rumor: Say it aint so Dats!

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
Totally understand his reasoning. That's going to suck massive Mules, but you can't fault the guy for wanting to go out on his own terms.

"The Barry Sanders of Hockey" was always an appropriate term for him; bonus that he played in the same city.

If true, best wishes, Pavel. You will be sorely, SORELY missed.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Who can blame him? I don't think I can. He isn't being allowed to play much of a skill game here. At this point, Russia is more his style than Detroit is. He can grind it out in Detroit and retire at 36 or go back to Russia and retire at 40.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Well, the current situation sure isn't helping.

Some poster on trade board just mentioned how happy Datsyuk had been on one interview during the lockout, saying along the lines of 'it's fun to play with skilled players for change'. May have been during those few National team games where he was on fire.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Meh. Until there's someone credible giving the report it means nothing. Every Russian star said they wanted to keep playing in the KHL during the lockout. If Hollland offers Datsyuk a 2 year 14m deal, he'll stay I bet.

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground
If this is true it sucks big time but I can't blame him, He's already done it all in the NHL and will likely be inducted into the HOF. Couple that with the facts that his team is on the down swing while facing a rebuild/retool and that his family is still in Russia and it makes for an easy decision.
If this is true I wish him the best of luck, and thank him for all he's given to this team.

CloneHakanPlease*

People who think this isnt a possibility are blind. Datsyuk isnt an ego guy or a money guy. His daughter trumps all that. Reasons arent right, but I still think he wont be a wing in 2 years.

Babcock sure as hell isn't helping

Last edited by a moderator:

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Sounds like someone stirring the rumor mill, to be honest.
MOD

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 6, 2012
And that Eastern Conference reasoning makes me doubt this is reliable at all. I doubt that's a part of Datsyuk's decision.

Frozen Fiend

DOUBLE D
Oct 22, 2007
Kalamazoo
What does this even mean?

Yeah, that didn't make any sense... at all.

Apart from the Western conference being the one with a "rougher" reputation, the East offers a MUCH better travel schedule along with game times that are actually reasonable.

Of course it's perfectly possible that Datsyuk leaves and returns home once his contract is up. He owes us nothing. His family is there, his home is there... if it makes him happy then I want him to leave.

I highly doubt that his line mates this past month will influence his decision to head home or not. That's not the kind of player Pasha is, also we still have the rest of this season, and the next one... so I don't see how that factors into anything.

RedWingsNow*

The problem with "bloggers" who aren't aren't trained in journalism is that they don't know how to write "black and white."

It's hard to know wtf IWO is talking about. It's hard to know how much of what he is saying is from his source and how much is IWO.

Kukla

Mar 16, 2003
motown
www.kuklaskorner.com
The problem with "bloggers" who aren't aren't trained in journalism is that they don't know how to write "black and white."

It's hard to know wtf IWO is talking about. It's hard to know how much of what he is saying is from his source and how much is IWO.

Datsyuk does want to go home and go home healthy. It could be he has thought about the physical issue being a deciding factor too, but overall, he just wants to go home.

GT500x

Im OK where we're at
Jun 15, 2008
My comfort zone
The question of would Datsyuk decide to finish his career in Russia has been asked for a while now. I'm certainly not going to be surprised if he isn't on this team when he reaches 37 or 38 years of age. He's at the end of his career. We can't expect everyone to pull a Lidstrom and play past 40 in the winged wheel. Sadly, I think it's time to see what we can get for him and make Flip earn his pay by filling in for Dats.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->