Prospect Info: Sawyer Mynio: 89th Overall 2023 Draft (Seattle) - LD

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
When I used the term "polarizing," I was referring to the significant disparity in evaluations of his performance during the playoffs by different observers. The prevailing consensus view on him suggests that he is a low-event, low-ceiling prospect. Unless the poster who described his play as "brilliant, magnificent, and the best player on the floor" during the Memorial Cup had set higher expectations for him, it is possible that Mynio may not be a 'polarizing' prospect after all.

Furthermore, it is unusual to describe a defenseman who sits at the bottom of the depth chart and primarily focuses on providing reliable defense, with limited offensive production (only 4 points in 19 games), as "brilliant, magnificent, and the best player on the floor." Maybe he truly exhibits exceptional defensive skills. I couldn't find any article highlighting his outstanding performance during the Memorial Cup though.

Ok. I haven't come across that. Who said he wasn't good in the playoffs? Got any links?

TomWillander1RD

Jul 21, 2004
Ok. I haven't come across that. Who said he wasn't good in the playoffs? Got any links?
I didn't say anyone said he wasn't good in the playoffs.

(My apologies to MS for quoting his comments.) However, here's MS's observation after watching WHL final.

"But man, there's no tools there. I'll walk back what I said earlier about his skating - it isn't good. Doesn't generate much leg drive and isn't quick or smooth skating backward or forwards. Footwork is OK but nothing special. Talked in the Celebrini thread how Celebrini looked to have a bigger frame than he was listed at and Mynio is the opposite - looks pretty short and small. Offensively he makes the simple plays well enough but there's nothing dynamic there and no X-factor and no real upside. Basically a smallish, slowish defensive defender."

Quite different from "brilliant, magnificent, and the best player on the floor"

(Update) I may have misunderstood your question initially. To clarify, I was unable to locate any specific articles or information (3rd source) regarding his playoff performance. I don't know, maybe he played simple low-event hockey.

Last edited:
Reactions: geebaan

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I didn't say anyone said he wasn't good in the playoffs.

(My apologies to MS for quoting his comments.) However, here's MS's observation after watching WHL final.

"But man, there's no tools there. I'll walk back what I said earlier about his skating - it isn't good. Doesn't generate much leg drive and isn't quick or smooth skating backward or forwards. Footwork is OK but nothing special. Talked in the Celebrini thread how Celebrini looked to have a bigger frame than he was listed at and Mynio is the opposite - looks pretty short and small. Offensively he makes the simple plays well enough but there's nothing dynamic there and no X-factor and no real upside. Basically a smallish, slowish defensive defender."

Quite different from "brilliant, magnificent, and the best player on the floor"

(Update) I may have misunderstood your question initially. To clarify, I was unable to locate any specific articles or information (3rd source) regarding his playoff performance. I don't know, maybe he played simple low-event hockey.

It's just MS's opinion and his comments focused on skating which I would agree is an area where scouts differed. MS didn't comment on how he defended. Every scouting opinion I have read said that Mynio defended well including defending the rush (despite criticism of his skating).

MS is right about one thing. Celebrini is currently bigger. Mynio measured 6'0.5" 163lbs (same height as Hovat) at the combine while Celebrini is listed as 6'1" 187bs. Clearly Celebrini is bigger if Celebrini's listed height and weight is correct.

Mynio playing simple low-event hockey is his calling card. That's exactly my point. Nobody is saying he is dynamic. Nobody is saying he is an elite skater. So you can accept MS' opinion and that doesn't change anything. Everyone seems to agree that he defends well. That's what I mean by he's not a polarizing prospect. It really comes down to scouts/people having different projections of him.

You can say the same thing for a lot of prospects. He needs to develop further to make it to the NHL. So yes he needs improve his skating. Of course if Mynio doesn't get bigger and stronger he's not going to make it. He should develop his offensive game to increase the odds of him making it to the NHL.

Like I said, it's not considered "polarizing" to have a different opinion on whether or not the player projects to be an NHL player. If I came on here and say that every 3rd round pick of the Canucks won't make it as an NHL player I would be right 90+% of the time.

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
From the 2023 NHL Draft Black Book:

With a good IQ, strong skating and great compete, his game projects well defensively at the next level. It will be interesting to see if he can find another gear offensively with more offensive opportunities in the next few seasons.’

"Good puck mover and skates well. Just a guy you don‘t notice a whole lot. Used his body and his stick, plays well in his end. Has some room to get a lot stronger.
- NHL Scout, March 2023

"I thought he got a lot better this year. Really nice development curve." - NHL Scout, May 2023

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
From the 2023 NHL Draft Black Book:

With a good IQ, strong skating and great compete, his game projects well defensively at the next level. It will be interesting to see if he can find another gear offensively with more offensive opportunities in the next few seasons.’

"Good puck mover and skates well. Just a guy you don‘t notice a whole lot. Used his body and his stick, plays well in his end. Has some room to get a lot stronger.
- NHL Scout, March 2023

"I thought he got a lot better this year. Really nice development curve." - NHL Scout, May 2023

This is the thing where i think opinions sort of diverge on what Mynio's skating is. It's..."underdeveloped" physically. But i don't really see what MS is talking about with being overly "slow" or "bad" as a skater. It's just not particularly great either. But there are some foundations there. It's a projection thing like the example i go to with Jeremy Lauzon. Will be improve that like Lauzon? Maybe? Is Mynio a really high upside pick? Probably not. But it's the mid rounds. Most "high upside" picks at that point have been passed over multiple times by every team. They're huge longshots to become NHLers, at all.

I don't tend to gravitate toward players who aren't naturally smooth skaters. But Mynio's issues are in some ways, a little bit like the problems that led me to undervalue Pettersson in the draft. He's shorter, but it's some of that same awkwardness and lack of efficiency in the stride, more than just being an ultra clunky skater overall.

It's the kind of thing that you do sometimes see prospects overcome and turn into decent skaters. It's not the same clunky footwork and heavy feet that dooms so many prospects who are already at or close to a physically developed peak.

I think that's where Mynio and the Sautner comp diverge. Sautner was...a pretty unremarkable player who was reasonably filled out through a lot of his Junior career and didn't garner any real draft interest. Mynio is a project pick who could well end up being a Lauzon or even Sautner type disappointing organizational depth player...but he has the headroom to potentially become something more important.

It's like...Tanev was never the greatest skater either, but by the time he was in his 20s, he'd become a very functional NHL level skater and his defensive savvy has let him carve out a great career doing that. Wouldn't be surprised if Mynio was a similar "slow burn" who doesn't truly arrive until he's in his 20s. "Gilliam" Brisebois also too an eternity to arrive as a decent organizational piece...he was a high 2nd round pick. That's just the reality of a lot of draft picks. They take time. :dunno:

Reactions: Nick Lang and F A N

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
It's just MS's opinion and his comments focused on skating which I would agree is an area where scouts differed. MS didn't comment on how he defended. Every scouting opinion I have read said that Mynio defended well including defending the rush (despite criticism of his skating).

MS is right about one thing. Celebrini is currently bigger. Mynio measured 6'0.5" 163lbs (same height as Hovat) at the combine while Celebrini is listed as 6'1" 187bs. Clearly Celebrini is bigger if Celebrini's listed height and weight is correct.

Mynio playing simple low-event hockey is his calling card. That's exactly my point. Nobody is saying he is dynamic. Nobody is saying he is an elite skater. So you can accept MS' opinion and that doesn't change anything. Everyone seems to agree that he defends well. That's what I mean by he's not a polarizing prospect. It really comes down to scouts/people having different projections of him.

You can say the same thing for a lot of prospects. He needs to develop further to make it to the NHL. So yes he needs improve his skating. Of course if Mynio doesn't get bigger and stronger he's not going to make it. He should develop his offensive game to increase the odds of him making it to the NHL.

Like I said, it's not considered "polarizing" to have a different opinion on whether or not the player projects to be an NHL player. If I came on here and say that every 3rd round pick of the Canucks won't make it as an NHL player I would be right 90+% of the time.

Yes well said. You can scrutinize and rate a players attributes or tools, but then you can also step back and look at the totality of what they do. Kind of like hockey IQ which describes how they use those tools. Someone who has a good IQ doesn't need a great set of tools to do a great job. Sometimes you just have to look and say, geez this guy is just plain good at keeping the puck out of net. Period. Hopefully we got one of those guys. Seems to describe Tanev pretty well. He's a little taller at 6'2, but only 193 lbs. Isn't overly fast, first pass is strong, but not prolific by any means, isn't a bruiser, isn't mean, doesn't rack up points, can't shoot worth a crap, but wholly heck he's cool as a cucumber, keeps the puck out of the net, he's a hell of a teammate, and a blessing to any team.

Hopefully that's what we have here. Of course like you said he needs to bulk up, His hockey db says 173 so the 163 is kind of yikes but I assume when speaking with him they also liked his drive and believe he has the will to get there. I think this is also a cautionary tale for those that get to married to scouting reports and then get down on players we just drafted. Obviously there is so much more that goes into rating a player than even the most fastidious internet researcher can muster up. I am going to follow this player and give him every chance to show us why we made the selection at 89.

petterdaddy

Sponsor
Jul 1, 2023
Vancouver
This is the thing where i think opinions sort of diverge on what Mynio's skating is. It's..."underdeveloped" physically. But i don't really see what MS is talking about with being overly "slow" or "bad" as a skater. It's just not particularly great either. But there are some foundations there. It's a projection thing like the example i go to with Jeremy Lauzon. Will be improve that like Lauzon? Maybe? Is Mynio a really high upside pick? Probably not. But it's the mid rounds. Most "high upside" picks at that point have been passed over multiple times by every team. They're huge longshots to become NHLers, at all.

I don't tend to gravitate toward players who aren't naturally smooth skaters. But Mynio's issues are in some ways, a little bit like the problems that led me to undervalue Pettersson in the draft. He's shorter, but it's some of that same awkwardness and lack of efficiency in the stride, more than just being an ultra clunky skater overall.

It's the kind of thing that you do sometimes see prospects overcome and turn into decent skaters. It's not the same clunky footwork and heavy feet that dooms so many prospects who are already at or close to a physically developed peak.

I think that's where Mynio and the Sautner comp diverge. Sautner was...a pretty unremarkable player who was reasonably filled out through a lot of his Junior career and didn't garner any real draft interest. Mynio is a project pick who could well end up being a Lauzon or even Sautner type disappointing organizational depth player...but he has the headroom to potentially become something more important.

It's like...Tanev was never the greatest skater either, but by the time he was in his 20s, he'd become a very functional NHL level skater and his defensive savvy has let him carve out a great career doing that. Wouldn't be surprised if Mynio was a similar "slow burn" who doesn't truly arrive until he's in his 20s. "Gilliam" Brisebois also too an eternity to arrive as a decent organizational piece...he was a high 2nd round pick. That's just the reality of a lot of draft picks. They take time. :dunno:
Brisebois was picked with the 3rd the Canucks got in the Lack to Carolina trade. But still point remains.

Feb 20, 2013
Mynio was back in action today (returning from injury) and collected a goal and an assist to give him two points in two games on the season, both of which came at even strength.

With Korchinski in Chicago, Mynio played on the first pairing with AVS 2023 6th rounder (as a double-overager), Jeremy Hanzel. Mynio was also deployed on PP2 behind Hanzel.
I have not watched him play this year, but him continuing to get ice-time and most importantly PP time will be critical to answering questions about his offensive upside. Points aren't everything, but If he can continue to produce at his current pace it will go a long way to justifying the upside that Canucks scouts must have seen to select him wtih such a high pick.

Mynio was 43rd in scoring among WHL defensemen last year, but also got the fewest (4) of his points on the powerplay when compared to the rest of the top 50 scoring defensemen. Put these stats together and he was 24th in non-powerplay points with 27, which was impressive for a 17 year old despite him being on a high-scoring Seattle team.

Some examples of other defensemen who produced well at even strength last year, but got fewer than 10 PP points include the aforementioned Hanzel (8), Justin Kipkie (6), Villiam Kmec (5), Graham Sward (7) and Luke Shipley (7). All of these guys are near the top of the scoring charts so far in the 2023-24 season, with 20 year-old Sward leading the way with 17 points in 10 games played. This seems to show that non-PP production last year is a good predictor of overall production this year. Mynio's linemate Hanzel has 9 points in 6 games so far and already has 3 PP assists now that he is getting more powerplay time.

A good comparable for Mynio might be the ARI 2023 5th rounder (160th OA) Justin Kipkie who also put up 27 non-PP points for Victoria last year. He is off to a good start with 8 points in 10 games, including 2 PP assists. He is the only other player cited above who was 17 years old last year like Mynio.

Last edited:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Canuck fans are so used to players from the WHL--particularly d-men--flaming out, that there's a natural reticence to express much optimism for Mynio.

But this is a new Canuck regime, and obviously they thought enough of this kid to make him only the first player to be signed out of the 2023 draft class so far.

ihaveyuidonttouchme

MrShiftbyShiftGuy
Feb 21, 2009
Vancouver
www.youtube.com

This was my favourite Mynio game so far (4 games so far)
(interesting parts are timestamped in the desc)

He did an excellent job preventing opponents from getting past him. there were many instances in this game where he just rubbed guys off the boards who tried to skate by

It appears that he has recently elevated his game, becoming more involved in offensive plays and venturing deep into the opponent's zone. This shift might be motivated by a 5-0 loss earlier.

He also has significantly increased his shooting, with 7 shots in the game.

His shots are hard and impressive to me at least

His skating, at least for now, is of minimal concern to me—hopefully, I'm not the only one feeling this way. He's not the top-end fastest but a very good skater in all aspects,

are there still moments when he makes mistakes and things get a bit chaotic? yes, but let's be honest, that happens to everyone.
he's my sleeper's pick...so far

LemonSauceD

The Negotiator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver

This was my favourite Mynio game so far (4 games so far)
(interesting parts are timestamped in the desc)

He did an excellent job preventing opponents from getting past him. there were many instances in this game where he just rubbed guys off the boards who tried to skate by

It appears that he has recently elevated his game, becoming more involved in offensive plays and venturing deep into the opponent's zone. This shift might be motivated by a 5-0 loss earlier.

He also has significantly increased his shooting, with 7 shots in the game.

His shots are hard and impressive to me at least

His skating, at least for now, is of minimal concern to me—hopefully, I'm not the only one feeling this way. He's not the top-end fastest but a very good skater in all aspects,

are there still moments when he makes mistakes and things get a bit chaotic? yes, but let's be honest, that happens to everyone.
he's my sleeper's pick...so far

I didn’t know he was that good of a skater. Real nice edge work and explosiveness. You can tell management really zoned in on drafting mobile defenseman. Admittedly he’s my least watched prospect and he seems to also be under a lot of people’s radar. I’ll definitely have to tune into some Seattle games.

6’1 180lbs, he’s got some frame to work with as welll.

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014
His play has been night and day from last year it seems, has made as big of a jump as Brzustewicz if not more so. Wears 43 and wouldn't blame someone for mistaking him for another 43 the confidence he is playing with and the way he moves. Looks dynamic and very offensively engaged.

Clearly Canucks saw something in him the internet scouts did not. Looks really impressive and showing some serious upside as prospect.

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
His play has been night and day from last year it seems, has made as big of a jump as Brzustewicz if not more so. Wears 43 and wouldn't blame someone for mistaking him for another 43 the confidence he is playing with and the way he moves. Looks dynamic and very offensively engaged.

Clearly Canucks saw something in him the internet scouts did not. Looks really impressive and showing some serious upside as prospect.

I like him better as a prospect vs Hunter tbh.

This comment may come back to bite me, but I've always been a Mynio fan. I believe he has top 4 upside, and his skills project much better to the NHL.

He has potential to be a steal, he was hidden on a stacked Seattle defense last year, and he has flourished with a bigger role this season.

Reactions: F A N

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I didn’t know he was that good of a skater. Real nice edge work and explosiveness. You can tell management really zoned in on drafting mobile defenseman. Admittedly he’s my least watched prospect and he seems to also be under a lot of people’s radar. I’ll definitely have to tune into some Seattle games.

6’1 180lbs, he’s got some frame to work with as welll.

Yep. Those that liked him saw a player whose skating and IQ allowed him to defend gaps well. Those who dislike him just saw him as a below average skater when there really wasn't anything wrong with Mynio's skating except he needed to get better and gain more power in his strides (standard stuff that typically takes care of itself).

Yep. And again, those who like him expected that he would have more opportunities to improve offensively while rounding out his defensive game. It was never some unreasonable projection.

I like him better as a prospect vs Hunter tbh.

This comment may come back to bite me, but I've always been a Mynio fan. I believe he has top 4 upside, and his skills project much better to the NHL.

He has potential to be a steal, he was hidden on a stacked Seattle defense last year, and he has flourished with a bigger role this season.

I said this from Day 1, although I have to admit that Brew's offensive start has been impressive. But the eye test (of his shifts on video) concerns me. But they both are Canucks properties so I could care less who turns out better.

Jay26

Jul 13, 2022
Kamloops

Yeah I mean they clearly signed him for a reason, not shits and giggles. I didn't see it but seeing how it's playing out now I'm more and more content to just let management do their thing.

Jay26

Jul 13, 2022
Kamloops
Yep. Those that liked him saw a player whose skating and IQ allowed him to defend gaps well. Those who dislike him just saw him as a below average skater when there really wasn't anything wrong with Mynio's skating except he needed to get better and gain more power in his strides (standard stuff that typically takes care of itself).

Yep. And again, those who like him expected that he would have more opportunities to improve offensively while rounding out his defensive game. It was never some unreasonable projection.

I said this from Day 1, although I have to admit that Brew's offensive start has been impressive. But the eye test (of his shifts on video) concerns me. But they both are Canucks properties so I could care less who turns out better.
I feel like Brew might make for an excellent trade chip. Unless he projects to be a defensive stalwart I'm not too sure if he has a place long term on this team. Yes, you can never have too much puck moving talent on the blueline in your organization so that's sort of dangerous thinking but I think the Canucks genuinely have some depth in the pipeline that makes him at least feasible to use as bait.

Besides, he would.liley be bait to acquire a long term defenceman anyway.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
The Giants play the Mynio and his Thunderbirds in Seattle tonight, and the game will be broadcast on 650.

I find that listening to the radio play-by-play is an excellent way to scout prospects ...

Reactions: Play

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
I’m going to agree with having Mynio over Bru as a prospect. I totally get that, and feel the same way depending on the day. IF Bru can improve his skating and defensive play miles, we will be very wrong. There is no middle ground, he’s either a big star in the NHL or AHL.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Is this the prompt to talk about how he's hovering in the vicinity of PPG on a real bad rebuilding team as one of the top scorers on the club, not latching onto anyone's coattails? And his skating looks...entirely fine. Progressing as he gains strength and power to it.

Or is that not yet?

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Skating is such vital skill for every position player hoping to ever play in the NHL. And the fact that the Canucks have drafted and signed Sawyer Mynio; Kiril Kudryavtsev; Elias Pettersson (D-Petey) and soon Tom Wilander--is the reason they could part with Hunter Brzustewicz.

I'm afraid gaudy junior stats rarely mean much in the tough transition of pro hockey. That's when a player's basic skill-set, including skating and defensive positioning are essential to success.

Reactions: Play

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
As I look at BU’s team roster (Willander is now at 14 points in 25 games and a team leading +16), something jumps out:

Lane Hutson has finally become a + player on the team (I believe this has occurred over the last 2-3 weeks, and perhaps not so coincidentally since he’s been paired with Willamder)

Then something I’ve never ever seen before in all my years of following hockey as I look at the roster seeing if anyone is a - on the team:

There is a goalie on the roster (Henry Graham) who is a -1 on the season.

I initially assumed that had to be a typo, but then I’m left wondering is there any weird/rare scenario that a goalie could actually take a - ?

Reactions: GranvilleIsland

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Mynio is in action at the moment, as Seattle is facing Prince George. (Young is not in net for the Cougars.)

Prince George is up 2-0 after the first. The website has it as 2 SOG for Prince George, zero for Seattle, which would be hilarious if true, but it can't be true.

Edit: Yeah , they fixed the shot clock business, but not Seattle's game: down 5-0 now.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad