Prospect Info: Sawyer Mynio: 89th Overall 2023 Draft (Seattle) - LD

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
The draft analysts (Robinson etc.) are saying this is a wasted pick.
LOL I just heard his interview on the radio.

"I've maybe seen 6 or so games of the Seattle Thunderbirds, and I was focusing on Myatovic and Sawchyn."

I've watched the full season including playoffs and MEM cup.

Part of the reason I decided to follow junior hockey much more closely last year is to point out how much full of crap these scouts are out there.

And Elite Prospects had some weird group think about Sawchyn that clearly the NHL didn't think the same way.

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
He was always on the PK as well, and like I mentioned was absolutely brilliant in the Mem Cup ( have to laugh at that person who watched the same game and said otherwise). I'm pretty sure the Canuck scouts saw him there in Kamloops and that's why he was picked a bit earlier.

I was floored when I saw that comment as well. He was magnificent in the memorial cup game. The general consensus was that he was the best player on the floor in that game. How someone saw otherwise is baffling.

I too like the pick just because while he lacks tools, he has pretty good IQ and awareness. People also make it seem like hes skating in quicksand, he's definetly above average in that regard, and it definetly won't be the reason he's held back.

I see why he gets the Tanev comparisons. Does he get there? Who knows, this upcoming season will tell alot about what kind of player he will become.

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
I was floored when I saw that comment as well. He was magnificent in the memorial cup game. The general consensus was that he was the best player on the floor in that game. How someone saw otherwise is baffling.

I too like the pick just because while he lacks tools, he has pretty good IQ and awareness. People also make it seem like hes skating in quicksand, he's definetly above average in that regard, and it definetly won't be the reason he's held back.

I see why he gets the Tanev comparisons. Does he get there? Who knows, this upcoming season will tell alot about what kind of player he will become.

LOL it makes it a lot easier to spot people who know what they are talking about, and people who base their opinions on what others have TOLD them what to believe.

After all, he is a 3rd/4th round talent and what 10% of those become NHLers? Temper your expectations people. But I don't like the lazy reporting and downright wrong assessments of prospects.

This is HFboards, 90% of people are just talking out of their ass.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
LOL it makes it a lot easier to spot people who know what they are talking about, and people who base their opinions on what others have TOLD them what to believe.

After all, he is a 3rd/4th round talent and what 10% of those become NHLers? Temper your expectations people. But I don't like the lazy reporting and downright wrong assessments of prospects.

Not that bad. hopefully this chart shows up:

1688323691970.png

basically it says 25 % for 3rd round, 20% for 4th round.

Edit - based on 99 games played I believe. And sadly, the Canucks do not have this level of success, I don't believe.

Reactions: Bubbles

TomWillander1RD

Jul 21, 2004
He was lower on the depth chart simply because of the stacked defenseman. He will have much more increased role with the Birds next year and may be in the top pairing with Pickford.

He was always on the PK as well, and like I mentioned was absolutely brilliant in the Mem Cup ( have to laugh at that person who watched the same game and said otherwise). I'm pretty sure the Canuck scouts saw him there in Kamloops and that's why he was picked a bit earlier.

It's good value for a 3rd rounder. He'll never be offensively great but if everything works he may end up being a Tanev or Slavin.

He was also +50.
It appears that opinions about his play are polarized, with some describing him as a smallish and slowish player who lacks standout qualities, while others consider him brilliant, magnificent, and the best player on the floor. Perhaps the reality lies somewhere in between.

While I reacted with anger, I have to admit that my response was solely influenced by the words of others. I hope he can prove me wrong and impress me in a way that forces me to humbly admit my misjudgment. BUT, I still think Perron would've been a much better pick. :)

AHLdepth

Feb 17, 2020
So maybe some more insight is needed but I am super intrigued with this pick. It would seem that essentially every scouting report I've seen thus far can agree he's pretty solid defensively, needs some work on skating, needs work in the offensive zone, but most agree that a huge component of his game is his physical play, and ability to clear the front of the net.

If this kid doesn't rely on A+ skating, how much better is he going to be once he fills out? 6'1 and like 170? You figure he can probably get up to 185-190, and maybe more? This kid could be something special if he can bulk up and just translate some outlet passes?

Am I wrong here?

Reactions: Nick Lang

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
It appears that opinions about his play are polarized, with some describing him as a smallish and slowish player who lacks standout qualities, while others consider him brilliant, magnificent, and the best player on the floor. Perhaps the reality lies somewhere in between.

While I reacted with anger, I have to admit that my response was solely influenced by the words of others. I hope he can prove me wrong and impress me in a way that forces me to humbly admit my misjudgment. BUT, I still think Perron would've been a much better pick. :)

Some prospects are polarizing but I'm not sure why that would be the case for Mynio. It sounds to me that he's a steady defensive Dman who plays a mature defensive game. Opinions can vary in terms of whether he has what it takes to make it to the NHL and we can prefer other prospects. But he doesn't sound like the type to have wild swings in his performance.

It's no different from Woo (who was a higher ranked prospect). He was also known to be a defensive Dman who played a mature defensive game.

LemonSauceD

The Negotiator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Not that bad. hopefully this chart shows up:

View attachment 725424

basically it says 25 % for 3rd round, 20% for 4th round.

Edit - based on 99 games played I believe. And sadly, the Canucks do not have this level of success, I don't believe.
Since 1983, only 7 players selected in the top 5 never played more than 100 NHL games. Only 3 of them played less than 50 career NHL games. Juolevi is both of them. Excluding the recent 5th overall selections, of all 5th overall draft picks, Juolevi is set to be the worst 5th overall taken since Daniel Dore in 1988 in terms of lowest amount of games played. One of the worst top 5 picks taken in history of the NHL, let alone all players taken at #5. As of the date of this post.

2016 was awful. But Juolevi was an absolute colossal bust, a generational bust. And of course, it had to happen in the Benning era.

Last edited:

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Since 1983, only 7 players selected in the top 5 never played more than 100 NHL games. Only 3 of them played less than 50 career NHL games. Juolevi is both of them. Excluding the recent 5th overall selections, of all 5th overall draft picks, Juolevi is set to be the worst 5th overall taken since Daniel Dore in 1988 in terms of lowest amount of games played. One of the worst top 5 picks taken in history of the NHL. As of the date of this post.

2016 was awful. But Juolevi was an absolute colossal bust, a generational bust. And of course, it had to happen in the Benning era.

Alex Turcotte might provide some competition. I still like both players though. :laugh:

Reactions: me2

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
Since 1983, only 7 players selected in the top 5 never played more than 100 NHL games. Only 3 of them played less than 50 career NHL games. Juolevi is both of them. Excluding the recent 5th overall selections, of all 5th overall draft picks, Juolevi is set to be the worst 5th overall taken since Daniel Dore in 1988 in terms of lowest amount of games played. One of the worst top 5 picks taken in history of the NHL, let alone all players taken at #5. As of the date of this post.

In summary, you don't speak very highly of the Canucks Amateur Scouts; many of these same Scouts still get together each year to yell at each other in a room in order to establish the draft lists for determining the fate of the Franchise.

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
So maybe some more insight is needed but I am super intrigued with this pick. It would seem that essentially every scouting report I've seen thus far can agree he's pretty solid defensively, needs some work on skating, needs work in the offensive zone, but most agree that a huge component of his game is his physical play, and ability to clear the front of the net.

If this kid doesn't rely on A+ skating, how much better is he going to be once he fills out? 6'1 and like 170? You figure he can probably get up to 185-190, and maybe more? This kid could be something special if he can bulk up and just translate some outlet passes?

Am I wrong here?
He's listed at 173 already so I would project him close to 200 once he matures. Ah yeah, I misread your post. I think it was a great pick to get another LD in the system. I thought his game was stellar as well in the Memorial Cup Final.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Some prospects are polarizing but I'm not sure why that would be the case for Mynio. It sounds to me that he's a steady defensive Dman who plays a mature defensive game. Opinions can vary in terms of whether he has what it takes to make it to the NHL and we can prefer other prospects. But he doesn't sound like the type to have wild swings in his performance.

It's no different from Woo (who was a higher ranked prospect). He was also known to be a defensive Dman who played a mature defensive game.

The thing with Woo, is that he was already a pretty rocked up prospect. He had a small frame that was already pretty filled out by draft day. There was very little room for physical growth and development there.

Whereas...

He's listed at 173 already so I would project him close to 200 once he matures. Ah yeah, I misread your post. I think it was a great pick to get another LD in the system. I thought his game was stellar as well in the Memorial Cup Final.

At the combine, Mynio rang in at 6' and 1/2". But 163lbs. Which is obviously insanely light for that size. That's the profile of a prospect who is still growing into their frame. It's where i think the whole impetus behind this pick lies. It's a guy who is a pretty serviceable defenceman at the CHL level despite that lack of bulk...but in theory, that provides him a lot of room to physically grow and develop. Along with that, you often see significant improvements in terms of not only the strength to handle things defensively, but in terms of explosiveness in the skating.

That's the big weakness right now. He's a bit..."bambi-legs" as a skater. If he can grow into his frame and add power and coordination to his stride, there are the foundations of a pretty decent skater there.

@MS mentioned Sautner. But i don't really see it that way. Sautner was a free pickup who developed into a viable Pro caliber player late in his junior career, but did it mostly through development of his game, not his frame. Mynio to me, is more like Jeremy Lauzon. A really spindly player who did alright but is clearly still growing into their frame and lacking power as a result. The skating is a similar sort of point of contention with both. There are some decent technical foundations, but seriously lacking dynamic power and often looking a little bit...crossed up when pressured.

That's the thing for me, where most of Mynios skating issues come when he's forced to move his legs faster than his brain seems calibrated for. Lauzon was similar. When Mynio can move purposefully and is dictating that movement himself, it's a lot less cumbersome.

Who knows what actually happens with him developmentally. But to me, he looks like a 160lb kid who is taller than he knows what to do with at this point. He's not a heavy footed or overly awkward skater in general. He just looks to me like he lacks real power and authority behind each stride, and doesn't entirely trust himself to make really aggressive change of direction type moves. :dunno:

Reactions: AHLdepth

AHLdepth

Feb 17, 2020
Well you misread it because I worded it incredibly awkwardly! But yeah I have no issue with seeing him bulk up to 200 at which point you figure all the things he seemingly already does very well, would only be enhanced as a result

Reactions: Nick Lang

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
The thing with Woo, is that he was already a pretty rocked up prospect. He had a small frame that was already pretty filled out by draft day. There was very little room for physical growth and development there.

Whereas...

At the combine, Mynio rang in at 6' and 1/2". But 163lbs. Which is obviously insanely light for that size. That's the profile of a prospect who is still growing into their frame. It's where i think the whole impetus behind this pick lies. It's a guy who is a pretty serviceable defenceman at the CHL level despite that lack of bulk...but in theory, that provides him a lot of room to physically grow and develop. Along with that, you often see significant improvements in terms of not only the strength to handle things defensively, but in terms of explosiveness in the skating.

That's the big weakness right now. He's a bit..."bambi-legs" as a skater. If he can grow into his frame and add power and coordination to his stride, there are the foundations of a pretty decent skater there.

@MS mentioned Sautner. But i don't really see it that way. Sautner was a free pickup who developed into a viable Pro caliber player late in his junior career, but did it mostly through development of his game, not his frame. Mynio to me, is more like Jeremy Lauzon. A really spindly player who did alright but is clearly still growing into their frame and lacking power as a result. The skating is a similar sort of point of contention with both. There are some decent technical foundations, but seriously lacking dynamic power and often looking a little bit...crossed up when pressured.

That's the thing for me, where most of Mynios skating issues come when he's forced to move his legs faster than his brain seems calibrated for. Lauzon was similar. When Mynio can move purposefully and is dictating that movement himself, it's a lot less cumbersome.

Who knows what actually happens with him developmentally. But to me, he looks like a 160lb kid who is taller than he knows what to do with at this point. He's not a heavy footed or overly awkward skater in general. He just looks to me like he lacks real power and authority behind each stride, and doesn't entirely trust himself to make really aggressive change of direction type moves. :dunno:

I don't disagree. The comparison was made in the context that I don't think Mynio is a polarizing player in that scouts had wild swings in how they viewed the player but merely disagreed on NHL projections.

With regard to your point about Woo being physically developed he was but he was also seen as strong and that strength and ability to win board battles was likely to translate. Horvat was the same. He was 211lbs as weighed at the combine but scouts weren't concerned that he was good simply because he was bigger than others at the OHL level.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I don't disagree. The comparison was made in the context that I don't think Mynio is a polarizing player in that scouts had wild swings in how they viewed the player but merely disagreed on NHL projections.

With regard to your point about Woo being physically developed he was but he was also seen as strong and that strength and ability to win board battles was likely to translate. Horvat was the same. He was 211lbs as weighed at the combine but scouts weren't concerned that he was good simply because he was bigger than others at the OHL level.

It can go both ways. But when we're talking about a mid-round pick, it's generally seen as more advantageous when a prospect isn't that physically developed. It gives them some headroom and potentially explains why they're not as dominant as a top round pick.

Horvat's physical maturity was seen as a potential advantage, based on being a Top-10 pick. It meant he was probably close to the NHL and it narrowed some things in his projection that was already pretty NHL caliber.

With someone like Mynio...that lack of physical development kinda cuts the other way. It's room for improvement from a mid-round project pick.

Woo to me, was the awkward guy caught in the middle of the the two things. He was physically developed and still not really a great junior player. Just a guy. That's the worst of both worlds.

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
It can go both ways. But when we're talking about a mid-round pick, it's generally seen as more advantageous when a prospect isn't that physically developed. It gives them some headroom and potentially explains why they're not as dominant as a top round pick.

Horvat's physical maturity was seen as a potential advantage, based on being a Top-10 pick. It meant he was probably close to the NHL and it narrowed some things in his projection that was already pretty NHL caliber.

With someone like Mynio...that lack of physical development kinda cuts the other way. It's room for improvement from a mid-round project pick.

Woo to me, was the awkward guy caught in the middle of the the two things. He was physically developed and still not really a great junior player. Just a guy. That's the worst of both worlds.

I think part of the appeal with Mynio is hes still raw physically, which means there's a chance he could gain more muscle and iron out some of his kinks, by gaining strength alone.

The other part is he played on a stacked team, but whenever he was given a bigger role he did not look out of place. Like it's been noted, he was amazing in the memorial cup game, and if that's the Mynio that shows up next season, we have a steal on our hands. This upcoming season is going to be huge in seeing what type of player we drafted. He's going to have his number called, and he's going to be expected to be one of the top guys on that blue line.

Hopefully he's in the gym, filling out, and gaining more strength.

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011

I fully heartedly admit to talking out of my ass when it comes to prospects, I just like to be part of the conversation

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Whereas...

To be clear, I'm absolutely factoring in that he'll fill out in my take on him.

But in the best-case which is probably that he gets to 6'1 190, he's still slightly undersized for an NHL defender. And his skating isn't great - choppy-ish stride, not the best footwork and pivots. And there isn't a high skill level there.

So where I'm getting the Sautner comp from is that that's kind of the end result when you're dealing with a guy who has no real physical tools but can overachieve based on a high compete level. And I don't really think your Lauzon comp is much different - he's just a hard-working 6-7 while Sautner plateaued as a hard-working 7-8. And if you have Jeremy Lauzon upside ... that really isn't great for a pick in the first 3 rounds of the draft.

AHLdepth

Feb 17, 2020
I fully heartedly admit to talking out of my ass when it comes to prospects, I just like to be part of the conversation
Just remember buzzwords like "good edges/fills out/leadership" and then you don't even really need to know half of them! If all else fails just say "you know, total guess but I just think he has the intangibles to get there", irrefutable.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Just remember buzzwords like "good edges/fills out/leadership" and then you don't even really need to know half of them! If all else fails just say "you know, total guess but I just think he has the intangibles to get there", irrefutable.
Don’t forget “motor” “iq” and projectable frame.

Reactions: AHLdepth

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
Don’t forget “motor” “iq” and projectable frame.
nobody can dispute the claim: I watched a handful of games this year and was impressed with his xyz

you don't know if I live in Sweden, Abbotsford, Brampton or Minnesota

*hint* none of them

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010

But in the best-case which is probably that he gets to 6'1 190, he's still slightly undersized for an NHL defender. And his skating isn't great - choppy-ish stride, not the best footwork and pivots. And there isn't a high skill level there.

So where I'm getting the Sautner comp from is that that's kind of the end result when you're dealing with a guy who has no real physical tools but can overachieve based on a high compete level. And I don't really think your Lauzon comp is much different - he's just a hard-working 6-7 while Sautner plateaued as a hard-working 7-8. And if you have Jeremy Lauzon upside ... that really isn't great for a pick in the first 3 rounds of the draft.

You're right in that it's definitely not a high upside, "swing for the fences" sort of pick. It's probably not the pick i would've made there. But i think there is a reasonable path to Mynio becoming a useful player. If he turns out like Lauzon, that's not really a big win, but it's also getting an NHL player out of a 3rd which is more than like 75% of those picks turn out to be. That's not to say that's his absolute "ceiling" either. When you're talking about a player with as much projection as this pick, there's a fairly wide range of outcomes...both better and worse.

Even Lauzon originally, was a 2nd round pick who was seen as having some potentially high "upside". Never really got there and most likely that's where Mynio falls if we're lucky. Forgettable bottom-pairing D.

But we're talking about longshots pretty much exclusively at this point of the draft. At least this longshot has a reasoning behind it that i can kind of follow. That's more than can be said of other later picks this organization has made over the years. :dunno:

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

I think we're talking about different things here. So I'm not really disagreeing with what you're saying.

Again, the comparison I made to Woo was in the context of a poster saying Mynio was a polarizing prospect. My opinion is that he's not. There's a difference between having a difference in opinion in terms of NHL projections and actually having a wild difference in opinion of the player's strengths and weaknesses where you're questioning whether you're watching the same player/same game.

So just like with Woo, I don't hear anyone saying that Mynio didn't defend well at the WHL level. I don't see disagreement over Mynio's hockey IQ. Skating mechanics need to be improved but then you hear comments that he defends the rush well and is certainly considered mobile.

Again, Woo was projected to go in the late first round to early second round. So we are talking about a different level of prospect here in terms of where they were ranked in the draft. I disagree with your assessment of Woo. His defense was considered elite at the AHL level and Mynio is projected to be a top shutdown Dman in the WHL in the coming season.

From what I've read Mynio is quite mobile and combine with his high hockey IQ he's not "slow." I'm not reading that he gets blown past at times or anything like that. For me, Mynio's projection is different from Sautner's. Mynio's strength is in the way he defends and his hockey IQ. Sautner was a later bloomer but his development also kind of stalled. I say this noting that that's what happen to most prospects. Most don't become NHL regulars. So really just saying oh he's going to end up like Sautner really doesn't mean much.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I think we're talking about different things here. So I'm not really disagreeing with what you're saying.

Again, the comparison I made to Woo was in the context of a poster saying Mynio was a polarizing prospect. My opinion is that he's not. There's a difference between having a difference in opinion in terms of NHL projections and actually having a wild difference in opinion of the player's strengths and weaknesses where you're questioning whether you're watching the same player/same game.

So just like with Woo, I don't hear anyone saying that Mynio didn't defend well at the WHL level. I don't see disagreement over Mynio's hockey IQ. Skating mechanics need to be improved but then you hear comments that he defends the rush well and is certainly considered mobile.

Again, Woo was projected to go in the late first round to early second round. So we are talking about a different level of prospect here in terms of where they were ranked in the draft. I disagree with your assessment of Woo. His defense was considered elite at the AHL level and Mynio is projected to be a top shutdown Dman in the WHL in the coming season.

From what I've read Mynio is quite mobile and combine with his high hockey IQ he's not "slow." I'm not reading that he gets blown past at times or anything like that. For me, Mynio's projection is different from Sautner's. Mynio's strength is in the way he defends and his hockey IQ. Sautner was a later bloomer but his development also kind of stalled. I say this noting that that's what happen to most prospects. Most don't become NHL regulars. So really just saying oh he's going to end up like Sautner really doesn't mean much.

I think there's some different perspectives about Mynio's mobility here.

To me, he's not a guy who is "slow" or a "bad skater". But he has some clear room for improvement when it comes to dynamic, explosive skating that becomes so critical at the NHL level.

That's also where he's a completely different sort of prospect from Woo.

Jett Woo went into that draft as a good WHL defender, but i don't think you can just cast off the reality that he was doing it as a powerful, heavy, explosive sort of player for his frame. He was...inherently closer to his "ceiling" than a guy like Mynio. "Maxed out".

It's entirely plausible that Mynio ends up like a Sautner type. That's well within the wide range of predictive outcomes for a prospect with his profile. But there's at least still a chance that he becomes more than that.

Woo was more like...you hope he becomes a physical bottom-pairing D, despite his lack of size. But that's still really...the jury is out.

Mynio is a different type of projection, where unlike Woo...he's a bit of a "mystery box" in that he's a smart defensive player, but his biggest weaknesses are in that he's not a physically strong player or physically dynamic skater.

TomWillander1RD

Jul 21, 2004

When I used the term "polarizing," I was referring to the significant disparity in evaluations of his performance during the playoffs by different observers. The prevailing consensus view on him suggests that he is a low-event, low-ceiling prospect. Unless the poster who described his play as "brilliant, magnificent, and the best player on the floor" during the Memorial Cup had set higher expectations for him, it is possible that Mynio may not be a 'polarizing' prospect after all.

Furthermore, it is unusual to describe a defenseman who sits at the bottom of the depth chart and primarily focuses on providing reliable defense, with limited offensive production (only 4 points in 19 games), as "brilliant, magnificent, and the best player on the floor." Maybe he truly exhibits exceptional defensive skills. I couldn't find any article highlighting his outstanding performance during the Memorial Cup though.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00