Prospect Info: Sawyer Mynio: 89th Overall 2023 Draft (Seattle) - LD

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Sawyer MynioLDCanadaWHLApr 30, 2005685263162 (NA)6'1''173lbs

Elite Prospects Scouting Report

As the Seattle Thunderbirds loaded up for a Memorial Cup run, it seemed like Sawyer Mynio would have to fight for ice time. Instead, his role only shrunk by a few minutes and his game improved. How did he do it? It’s all in the details.

Mynio’s a capable rush defender, steadily smothering the opposition by forcing attackers to the outside and matching their footwork. He quickly switches from one puck carrier to the next, keeping the pressure on. By locking onto opponents, he eliminates them from the play entirely.

On breakouts, Mynio’s equally detailed. He avoids dump-outs and low-percentage plays, preferring to look for passing options cross-ice or up the middle.

Striking the right balance between patience and pacey, he’s rarely forced into poor decisions. He draws pressure and spins away from it before hitting a teammate building speed.

In the offensive end, Mynio beats defenders into shooting lanes by taking passes in motion. While he doesn’t show much playmaking or activation, that skill should lead to more offence as his role demands it.

To play in the NHL, Mynio must improve his stride, edges, and puck skills. More offence would help his case, too. But his detailed game gives him NHL potential. He’d make for a solid later round selection.

Last edited:
May 31, 2006
The draft/prospect nerds on Twitter don't like this one.

He played for that stacked Seattle team. I wonder if Korchinski will play in the NHL next year which should give this guy a bigger opportunity.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Beat me to it

I love big D
he's 6 feet tall and listed at 163 pounds lol

Y-DDcxxXMK98D-BaDr3-ub4zc2BbqDlwzV5321fs6YI.jpg

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Another defenseman (left-handed!)

Mostly unranked. EP did not rank him, but had a profile on him.

They call him a capable rush defender, and can make some crisp and effective breakout passes. Not much in-zone offense. The Canucks clearly have a type here, every pick has been a "transition defenseman".

I think it's at this point though I might rather throw the dart at Jayden Perron.

Reactions: sandwichbird2023

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
Like the pick. Kid is great defending his own zone and is buried behind a stacked team. i expect him to breakout once some guys graduate in the next 1-2 years. Although I think he would have easily been there at both Canucks 1st 2 4ths. Would have preferred Perron/Barkey

Reactions: VIPettersson

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
Big reach without impressive numbers or size.

The expectation has to be a huge breakout next season.

For what it’s worth he only had 4 PP points this season. Excluding PP production, he outscored Oliver Bonk and had the same number of points as Taylor Molendyk.

He was almost certainly helped by playing on a good team but there are things to hope on.

Last edited:

Yultron

Apr 18, 2017
I’m really happy with this pick and I like it a lot , I believe this kid has some very good potential and could be this years Kudryavstev and from all of the scouting reports this is looking like a promising pick .

Lots of untapped potential and considering he had a sheltered role on a loaded Seattle team ,

I cannot wait to see what he can do next season in a top 4 role

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015

I don't blame Dahliwal for getting these quotes. Fans will want to read them.

On the other hand, I have yet to see a representative of a team a player just got drafted from say something like "Inconsistent player, decent defensively but no translatable offensive skills. I was surprised to see him drafted this high."

ie I think this type of quote is every bit as useful as a blank page in predicting whether a player might be good.

btw, anyone who thinks I'm being critical of the pick or the player should read again, more slowly. I don't know if he's a good pick, my point is just that quotes from his junior gm or coach are NEVER going to be negative so aren't reliable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad