Prospect Info: Sawyer Mynio: 89th Overall 2023 Draft (Seattle) - LD

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Without looking deeply at who is still available, Mynio is my favourite pick today. I like him more than Brzustewicz. I think Mynio's game is more likely to translate as he's already relied upon as a shutdown Dman in the WHL so he will get plenty of ice time and opportunities for further development.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
I liked Mynio's chances after the all star team moves on in '24. will be interesting to keep track of this local boy. one of the few picks today that makes sense, albeit maybe a rnd too early with Karki, Perron and Rykov right there.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Interesting pick.

I thought he'd go a little later than this and most rankings had him later but it does line up with his #62 NA CSS ranking so not totally out of left field or anything.

My impressions of him are that he's a high-IQ defender, skates pretty well, no real standout tools. Probably doesn't have much more than #4-5 upside in the NHL if he makes it.

Scored a lot of ES points, but is that because he has untapped offensive potential that will come out in more minutes, or is it just by osmosis from playing for such a dominant offensive team?

I do have a couple Seattle games on tape that I haven't watched so I'll be doing that with a closer eye on him than I had in previous viewings where I was more focused on Myatovic and Sawchyn and the horde of high-drafted prospects there.

TomWillander1RD

Jul 21, 2004
I was extremely upset when Perron got picked a few picks after as I was extremely bullish with his skills and hockey IQ (thought he had a chance to be selected in the 1st round). I have no knowlege of Mynio but hope he pans out better.

Picking Perron @ 89 and targeting Mynio with 105th pick would've been a much better use of asset considering they've basically wasted that pick on overager.

Edit: I just watched the highlight clip. I can now understand why team selected this guy. He seems to be the only defenseman among their draft picks this year whose highlight shows the ability to execute a one-timer (although only 1 goal scored off one timer). :)

Last edited:
Reactions: CanuckCity

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
Lot of interesting takes in here, as usual from Canuck fans. :sarcasm:

I watched every single T-birds game this season along with a few from 2 years ago. Mynio is a solid defender that was lower on the depth chart simply because the T-birds were stacked with Korch, Allen, Hanzel, Prokop, so I wouldn't worry about the offense. It's there and he will really shine next year when pretty much the whole D-core will be gone.

His stock really went up in the Memorial Cup, where he really stepped up and killed a lot of penalties. Had about 5 shot blocks alone in the final.

This isn't a Delorme special. A Delorme Special is taking a 20 year old kid in the DUB that exploded offensively in his last season, OR Taylor Ellington.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Lot of interesting takes in here, as usual from Canuck fans. :sarcasm:

I watched every single T-birds game this season along with a few from 2 years ago. Mynio is a solid defender that was lower on the depth chart simply because the T-birds were stacked with Korch, Allen, Hanzel, Prokop, so I wouldn't worry about the offense. It's there and he will really shine next year when pretty much the whole D-core will be gone.

His stock really went up in the Memorial Cup, where he really stepped up and killed a lot of penalties. Had about 5 shot blocks alone in the final.

This isn't a Delorme special. A Delorme Special is taking a 20 year old kid in the DUB that exploded offensively in his last season, OR Taylor Ellington.

Was Mynio his team's top shutdown Dman before Allan came along?

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Pronman's brief comments.

Mynio played a top-four role on a top CHL team this season in Seattle. He’s a strong skater who can make stops due to his feet and brain. He has some offense, mostly as a rusher, but I don’t see him as an overly creative player with the puck.

SelltheTeamFrancesco

Aug 11, 2015
I like the profile and I am 100% okay with this pick. It's a good gamble, players with similar statistical profiles but where bigger got drafted earlier than him. I watched a couple of games and their whole playoff series vs the Winnipeg Ice did not notice him a ton but thought he was pretty steady.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I suppose the 'good news' is that the Canucks rolled the dice on another defender from the WHL. The 'bad news' is that the Canucks have historically flamed out with almost every d-men they've ever drafted from the Dub.

I mean surely sooner or later the 'law of averages' takes over, and somebody you draft from the Dub will work out. But then I said the same thing about Jett Woo.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I don't mind this pick. I think it's a reasonable gamble at this point. On a defenceman who has a lot of potential "late bloomer" qualities. A lot of "projection" and growth potential being forecasted here, but there are good fundamental traits to build on and a ton of apparent headroom.

Being buried a bit on a stacked team is one thing. That can certainly go both ways. Is he being flattered by playing on a stacked team? Or is he primed for a significant improvement as guys move on and his opportunity grows? Sort of the opposite problem when trying to evaluate a guy playing huge minutes on a terrible team. Both situations can go either way. But i think it's reasonable to see his underlying tools and traits and think he's got some room to grow into a bigger role.

He's also a guy who has a lot of room to grow physically. You can see it on the ice, but you can also see it in his presser where his Canucks jersey looks like a moomoo on him. :laugh: He's one of those players who seems like he hasn't really had a chance to keep up with his height in terms of filling out his frame. I think it's reasonable to project that as he does that, he'll have some more dynamic ability to offer all around. From the skating getting more explosive and coordinated, steady, to being more of a physical presence, harder shot, etc. Of course, he could just be one of those players who can never keep weight on their frame. But i think it's a reasonable projection that he should become more impactful when he's not like 6'1" - 160lbs. :laugh:

A gamble on a smart, decent skating defenceman with a decent frame and a lot of potential room to grow in size, strength, and opportunity in the coming years, is a solid pick at this point in the draft. He's not a "maxed out" man playing a role against teenagers. He's not a guy who has had the opportunity to play huge minutes and especially pile up PP points.

Even if he doesn't have a lot of creativity at the offensive end, if he can become a modern, mobile stay-at-home guy, that'd be a win.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
Myatovic was "buried" on the same team, but he found a way to stand out through pure hussle. im okay with the pick and understand why hes picked. From a team building perspective, the team is weak everywhere, and Perron has a chance to really break out and provide value. With a similar profile, a guy like Karki just seem like he needed less projection and you can see he can handle the puck on both ends and pop. So from a BPA perspective, its suboptimal this pick, completely wait and see at this point. Lets hope he really shows his true colors next year. that +50 looks good even on a stacked team.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Interesting pick.

I thought he'd go a little later than this and most rankings had him later but it does line up with his #62 NA CSS ranking so not totally out of left field or anything.

My impressions of him are that he's a high-IQ defender, skates pretty well, no real standout tools. Probably doesn't have much more than #4-5 upside in the NHL if he makes it.

Scored a lot of ES points, but is that because he has untapped offensive potential that will come out in more minutes, or is it just by osmosis from playing for such a dominant offensive team?

I do have a couple Seattle games on tape that I haven't watched so I'll be doing that with a closer eye on him than I had in previous viewings where I was more focused on Myatovic and Sawchyn and the horde of high-drafted prospects there.

OK, so I had a free night tonight so I basically shift-by-shifted Mynio in two of the games against Winnipeg in the WHL Finals.

And on closer watching ... not really impressed.

The good is that he's pretty clearly a guy who competes and battles, tries to get in front of shots, engages opposition forwards. Seems to have good hockey sense and solid fundamentals. Talked about his PK work in the interview linked above and yup - he basically plays top PK unit on an elite team.

But man, there's no tools there. I'll walk back what I said earlier about his skating - it isn't good. Doesn't generate much leg drive and isn't quick or smooth skating backward or forwards. Footwork is OK but nothing special. Talked in the Celebrini thread how Celebrini looked to have a bigger frame than he was listed at and Mynio is the opposite - looks pretty short and small. Offensively he makes the simple plays well enough but there's nothing dynamic there and no X-factor and no real upside. Basically a smallish, slowish defensive defender.

The player I kept thinking of watching play was Ashton Sautner who has basically the same toolbox and even has a similar look/stance/skating style on the ice. And Sautner basically overachieved to get 23 NHL games.

Looks like a guy who probably should have gone in the 6th-7th round and has 3rd pairing upside. I don't get the impression at all that he was a hidden gem on that great Seattle team.

TomWillander1RD

Jul 21, 2004
OK, so I had a free night tonight so I basically shift-by-shifted Mynio in two of the games against Winnipeg in the WHL Finals.

The good is that he's pretty clearly a guy who competes and battles, tries to get in front of shots, engages opposition forwards. Seems to have good hockey sense and solid fundamentals. Talked about his PK work in the interview linked above and yup - he basically plays top PK unit on an elite team.

But man, there's no tools there. I'll walk back what I said earlier about his skating - it isn't good. Doesn't generate much leg drive and isn't quick or smooth skating backward or forwards. Footwork is OK but nothing special. Talked in the Celebrini thread how Celebrini looked to have a bigger frame than he was listed at and Mynio is the opposite - looks pretty short and small. Offensively he makes the simple plays well enough but there's nothing dynamic there and no X-factor and no real upside. Basically a smallish, slowish defensive defender.

The player I kept thinking of watching play was Ashton Sautner who has basically the same toolbox and even has a similar look/stance/skating style on the ice. And Sautner basically overachieved to get 23 NHL games.

Looks like a guy who probably should have gone in the 6th-7th round and has 3rd pairing upside. I don't get the impression at all that he was a hidden gem on that great Seattle team.
I don't like to repeat, but reading your comment makes me ***** angry as Jayden Perron would've been a much better pick. Do we still have the same scouting team responsible for drafting Bryan Allen?

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site

I didn't watch 2 of his games, but I did watch the Seattle vs Quebec finals memorial cup - and focused on him. 1 game sample size.

But saw similar things, looks shorter than 6'1. and very thin frame. Moves ok but certainly wouldn't call him a great skater, and was outmuscled often.

Nothing stood out, and looks like Cam Robinson calling him another "guy" out there might be accurate. First impression of him is not very positive - maybe I caught a bad game or he's injured.

Reactions: Nona Di Giuseppe

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I didn't watch 2 of his games, but I did watch the Seattle vs Quebec finals memorial cup - and focused on him. 1 game sample size.

But saw similar things, looks shorter than 6'1. and very thin frame. Moves ok but certainly wouldn't call him a great skater, and was outmuscled often.

Nothing stood out, and looks like Cam Robinson calling him another "guy" out there might be accurate. First impression of him is not very positive - maybe I caught a bad game or he's injured.

Yeah, your take lines up pretty much exactly with my take.

I don't really know what they saw in this player to take him this high. 'Just a guy' is pretty accurate - he'll be a good two-way WHL defender over the next two years, but like I said above I think his pro potential is very Ashton Sautner-ish.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad