Saudi Pro League

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
True, as can be seen by every single player who's vacationing there playing like crap at the AFCON.

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
Sometimes I wonder if he knows he's in Saudi.

Funny story about 15 years ago a Romanian International called Neaga signed for Ronaldo's team and after the first match which they won the sheikh came and wanted to put his hand on his shoulder as it is custom, but the absolute bellend gave the sheikh a high five when he saw him lift his hand. It was caught on the cameras and he was on the first flight back to Romania afterwards.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Canal + bought the TV rights for this joke of a league, which made me mad (they can't even bid properly on L1 rights).
Turns out it's a total flop.
On march 1st for the game between Al Hilal vs Al Ittihad, only 5000 viewers. As a comparison, the Rouen/Sochaux game (National, which is France's 3rd level) was broadcasted on the same channel at the same hour on march 4th, there were 30000 viewers.

I don't even know where those 5k viewers come from? Ronaldo fan boys?

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Canal + bought the TV rights for this joke of a league, which made me mad (they can't even bid properly on L1 rights).
On march 1st for the game between Al Hilal vs Al Ittihad, only 5000 viewers. As a comparison, the Rouen/Sochaux game (National, which is France's 3rd level) was broadcasted on the same channel at the same hour on march 4th, there were 30000 viewers.

People who were watching something else and accidentally left the TV on that channel :laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: Evilo

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Shocking

Saudi Arabia has been forced to scale back its $1.5trillion plans for a 106-mile linear desert city, according to reports, in a humiliating decision for the kingdom.

The Line - part of the country's audacious and futuristic NEOM project - was meant to be home to around 1.5 million residents by the end of the decade.

Now, according to people familiar with the project, the development will only stretch 1.5 miles and house fewer than 300,000 residents by 2030.

• Haha
Reactions: robertmac43

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Shocking

Saudi Arabia has been forced to scale back its $1.5trillion plans for a 106-mile linear desert city, according to reports, in a humiliating decision for the kingdom.

The Line - part of the country's audacious and futuristic NEOM project - was meant to be home to around 1.5 million residents by the end of the decade.

Now, according to people familiar with the project, the development will only stretch 1.5 miles and house fewer than 300,000 residents by 2030.
Truly an outcome that could have never been predicted.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
How much will ever be finished is of course a valid question, but it's not like they've only been building a 1.5-mile stretch thus far. It's genuinely a 100-mile long construction site.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
How much will ever be finished is of course a valid question, but it's not like they've only been building a 1.5-mile stretch thus far. It's genuinely a 100-mile long construction site.
Right. They started a massive construction project and then, to the shock of absolutely no one not named MBS, have run out of money to complete it and are thus dramatically scaling it back.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
One thing I wouldn't bet on is the Saudis running out of money. The project just isn't really feasible as what it is supposed to become and any professional they hire will understand that. But digging ground and then some more ground they can evidently afford.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
They aren't running out of money. But like everything, at some point, a passing interest might just be that.

Similar to the Chinese league, at some point, people lighting money on fire, with no real hope to see a return anytime soon, is always going to be a loser. Especially when the soccer is putrid, players don't want to be there (for the vast majority), and even people there don't care to watch it.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I don’t mean running out of money as in literally going broke, I mean running out of money in the sense that they can no longer throw away tens or hundreds of billions of dollars on a vanity project.

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street

NGL Ronaldo vs St Maximin-Firmino-Mahrez was fun to watch

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad