Saudi Pro League

JPBolts

Jun 21, 2019
Like it or not, it probably warrants its own thread. The PIF has been pouring money into this and we are seeing several star names getting huge moves over there. Not sure where exactly the end game is (if they get the 2030 World Cup yes, but after that?)

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
When the Saudi League signs multiple elite contracted players than we can talk. Maybe. But the work and money it would take to make the SPL even remotely close to European soccer isn’t remotely realist.

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Is this really any different than what China did a few years back?

Obviously Ronaldo and Benzema are better than what China signed, but the core principle is the same.

The reaction is hilarious though. Ptsd from psg, city and newcastle?

Juve

May 13, 2011
Somewhere around the world
I am available to be signed. I can be the first girl to play in the league to inspire everyone, My football inspirations are Chiellini , Gattuso, De Rossi, Ramos and Pepe. You know what kind of style I play.

I really want that Saudi money!

Last edited:

JPBolts

Jun 21, 2019
Is this really any different than what China did a few years back?

Obviously Messi and Benzema are better than what China signed, but the core principle is the same.
It is definitely very similar, but the main difference is the Saudi Government (via PIF) just purchased and now owns a majority stake (I think it was reported 75%) in the top 4 clubs and are bankrolling these signings.
Especially with the LIV/PGA merger earlier today, I think this will just continue to rise and splash cash

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
It is definitely very similar, but the main difference is the Saudi Government (via PIF) just purchased and now owns a majority stake (I think it was reported 75%) in the top 4 clubs and are bankrolling these signings.
Especially with the LIV/PGA merger earlier today, I think this will just continue to rise and splash cash

Oh there’s definitely differences in format and I do think China has less money to just light on fire, but the core of “sign past their prime players for way over what they’re worth and hope people like it” is the same.

So far they haven’t been able to successfully target any prime stars. Ronaldo is clearly on the back side of his career and although Benzema is still very good, he’s getting to the point where he’ll start to fade.

You also can’t really build an interesting league out of a few random superstars. It’s not consistently exciting to watch Messi dribble around and pass to a bunch of dudes no one has ever heard of. You need at least a decent level of talent around them to make the league interesting which raises the potential cost and headache to a dramatically higher level.

Even if they managed to pip Mbappe for a billion dollars, no one is tuning into the league unless he’s playing with others who have at least some talent.

Reactions: JPBolts

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Oh there’s definitely differences in format and I do think China has less money to just light on fire, but the core of “sign past their prime players for way over what they’re worth and hope people like it” is the same.

So far they haven’t been able to successfully target any prime stars. Ronaldo is clearly on the back side of his career and although Benzema is still very good, he’s getting to the point where he’ll start to fade.

You also can’t really build an interesting league out of a few random superstars. It’s not consistently exciting to watch Messi dribble around and pass to a bunch of dudes no one has ever heard of. You need at least a decent level of talent around them to make the league interesting which raises the potential cost and headache to a dramatically higher level.

Even if they managed to pip Mbappe for a billion dollars, no one is tuning into the league unless he’s playing with others who have at least some talent.
If SA could fund(which I think
they technically could) 10-15 teams chalk full big names than we’d be getting somewhere. But you’re looking at what 150-200 players making ~300mil a season and whatever their transfers would cost. 200+ a player minimum I’d guess. I mean could they do it? Technically I guess, but good luck.

Reactions: JPBolts

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
The Saudi pro league is China 2.0, but what makes this more reasonable is that it is closer to Europe and more likely to speak English. However, it is still Saudi Arabia and 95% of the country is unliveable. If this was the UAE's pro league then I would be more worried because it is a MAJOR tourist destination with a ton of funds that can challenge all the best European teams. UAE is probably too small though and why I don't consider him a strong candidate.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Buying mostly declining players with name recognition for big money is exactly what China did as well.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
What's the time difference in Saudi Arabia to the US, EST? I think with the names they've brought in they could get some low level TV deal to start but if the games are on at 4am it isn't going to get any kind of ratings. Could do like LIV did and have games live on YouTube to start.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
What's the time difference in Saudi Arabia to the US, EST? I think with the names they've brought in they could get some low level TV deal to start but if the games are on at 4am it isn't going to get any kind of ratings. Could do like LIV did and have games live on YouTube to start.
It’s 7 hours. Not that much more than England, but I guess lunchtime matches would be 5/6am on the East Coast.

Nobody watches LIV.

Reactions: Ted Hoffman

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Has anyone ever sat and watched a match in this league?
I have... it was.......... painful.
I posted the Ronaldo wrestling match and he was like a clown in a circus on display.
Ohhhhh it was sad to see. Like my local college club signed Ronaldo and he came to play in pohdunkian new jersey... only it's really really hot and people wear ghutra and egal and bisht and shalwar kameez...
This league will take a lot more than what it is doing.... if it is even possible... to be an actual.... no. It's awful.:help:

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Even with all the players they're signing, I have zero interest. However, if one of these teams gets smart and throws 500 million at the Galaxy for Riqui...

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Need Bernardo Silva, Henderson, Mitrovic, Rakitic, Raphiinha and about 4-5 others to sign with Saudi clubs.
Let's make it spicy.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Vasilevskiy

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: