Post-Game Talk: Sat., Oct. 26, 2013|Flyers at Islanders

Dirty but Good

but mostly dirty
Jan 26, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
The good:

Berube:
I think you really have to give a lot of credit to Berube. He has instilled an actual D awareness. We arent scrambling in our own end all the time etc. The line up changes were great as well, better than nearly all ive seen on here. I like how he is going to get Talbot on the top line late in games when we are up. He has taught how to win games - keep playing to win but be responsible. I really like how he has put the young guys higher and given Schenn a more prominent role and opportunity. I really like him as a coach.

It's too early for me to like him as a coach or not but I did like that he moved Streit to the first PP unit. Also it was a great move putting the Couturier/Read/Simmons line on the Moulson/Taveras/Okposo line after the first period. They were cruising against the Giroux line 1st period but were relatively shut down after the switch.

AaronTrieu

Mar 6, 2008
I don't think vinny gets that 3rd goal if it weren't for the tougher practices and skating. He never gave up moving his legs.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Neil Smith was asked in an interview a couple weeks ago what he thought was wrong with the Flyers. He said the Flyers "just aren't a good hockey team." He has never impressed me as an analyst, but at the time I thought he meant that they aren't good on paper. And I couldn't agree with him. I think the Flyers are a playoff team on paper. If he meant the Flyer's weren't playing good as a team, I think that's accurate. The defense is all veterans, the top nine forwards are stacked. What is most interesting to me is the choice to put Lecavalier and Giroux together. I think that is essential and necessary for the team. Those two should play together every game from now on. I saw they had them together in the Rangers game as well. I had been wondering at the beginning of the season if they would do that. I would imagine a Lecavalier-Giroux line would be a monster, and with so many options in the other two forward lines, they should be a dominating team with the right system.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
I'm guardedly optimistic after last night's game. However, one caveat needs to be addressed - they faced Kevin Poulin, not Evgeny Nabokov. Would it have been a different game if Nabokov were playing? Who knows. Until they beat a team's number one netminder, I'll reserve judgement until then. However, I'll certainly give props to a much improved team game under the watch of Berube. I said Craig would need 10 to 15 games to fully implement his system and see how things work. So, game 7 into the Berube regime and we've seen big improvements so far.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Practice is at noon today but not in Voorhees...in case anyone is headed that way:

Coming off last night's 5-2 win, #Flyers will be at Scanlon Ice Rink in Kensington at noon for a @SniderHockey event.

https://twitter.com/billmeltzer

This is confirmed on the Flyers' Twitter site, too ( The #Flyers will practice at the Scanlon Ice Rink today at noon. ).

Gert B Frobe

Nov 18, 2003
Chester County
Okposo has really become a good player. I always thought he was underrated playing on some really bad teams. He's very aggressive and strong with a good shot.

One thing that annoyed the crap out of me about this game was Thomas Hickey constantly tapping his stick on the ice from the other point. It's not like he was in a spot where his teammates can't see him or anything. If a guy kept doing that I wouldn't pass it to him unless I had no choice.

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
Okposo has really become a good player. I always thought he was underrated playing on some really bad teams. He's very aggressive and strong with a good shot.

One thing that annoyed the crap out of me about this game was Thomas Hickey constantly tapping his stick on the ice from the other point. It's not like he was in a spot where his teammates can't see him or anything. If a guy kept doing that I wouldn't pass it to him unless I had no choice.

I noticed Hamonic do that a few times - and his teammates always played the puck in the exact opposite direction :laugh:

ilovetheflyers8

Jan 26, 2009
D.C.
He had to get stitches so I imagine he missed several shifts while getting sewn. He probably had to go through concussion tests as well, along with the obligatory "Lay in a bathtub of ice in the hotel to see if you nearly die" test.

Hey, it is a good test, if you don't die they know you are a witch... Wait?

Evergreen

Does anybody else think Schenn looks much better at center than on the wing? He just seems to be more involved in the play and has seemed to be getting a lot more touches on the puck than he did at wing. With Vinny looking good on Giroux's RW, maybe we will get one of our first extended looks at Schenn at his natural position.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
Does anybody else think Schenn looks much better at center than on the wing? He just seems to be more involved in the play and has seemed to be getting a lot more touches on the puck than he did at wing. With Vinny looking good on Giroux's RW, maybe we will get one of our first extended looks at Schenn at his natural position.

He sure does, hopefully he and Jake can rekindle some of the magic they had together last year.

onlylordsvsmorebp

HEAVYHOCKEY ENTHUSIAST
Dec 27, 2011
VAN ISLE CANADA
flyers pp

i really like what they were doing on the powerplay last night!just feed lecavalier at the point and crash the net,the isles just could not deal with it!he has a great shot!its simple and it will work-really like alot of things berube is doing!!!

Jun 13, 2010
New Jersey
i really like what they were doing on the powerplay last night!just feed lecavalier at the point and crash the net

I like the PP set up as well. With Giroux, Streit, and Lecavalier you have three shooting options. It's nice to see another forward (Lecavalier) be able to take a one timer other then Giroux.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
It's too early for me to like him as a coach or not but I did like that he moved Streit to the first PP unit. Also it was a great move putting the Couturier/Read/Simmons line on the Moulson/Taveras/Okposo line after the first period. They were cruising against the Giroux line 1st period but were relatively shut down after the switch.

Got to love a coach adjusting in a game. What it take to win playoff series.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad