Post-Game Talk: Sat., Oct. 26, 2013|Flyers at Islanders

Dirty but Good

but mostly dirty
Jan 26, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
My player ratings from tonight's game (based on player value in game, 10 = best game ever, 1 = worst game ever, 5+ = net positive contribution, 5- = net negative contribution)

Raffl (6.0) Giroux (7.5) Lecavalier (8.5)
Hartnell (5.5) Schenn (7.0) Voracek (6.5)
Read (7.5) Couturier (8.5) Simmons (6.0)
Rosehill (6.0) Talbot (5.5) Rinaldo (3.0)

Timonen (6.0) Gustafsson (5.0)
Grossmann (5.0) Coburn (6.0)
Streit (8.0) Schenn (5.5)

Mason (7.0)

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
The PP at least looked better. I think they finally realized that getting the one timer to Lecavalier is the best option and will always be a threat to score. No need for all the fancy passing; get it to Lecavalier and have Simmonds or Hartnell waiting for rebounds if there is one. The guy is going to score 30 this year and about 10 are going to come from his one timer on the PP.

Yeah, considering we have two front of the net guys who pretty much solely get points that way we might as well have Lecavalier launch hard shots at the net or have Streit shoot some carefully aimed ones.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
My player ratings from tonight's game (based on player value in game, 10 = best game ever, 1 = worst game ever, 5+ = net positive contribution, 5- = net negative contribution)

Raffl (6.0) Giroux (7.5) Lecavalier (8.5)
Hartnell (5.5) Schenn (7.0) Voracek (6.5)
Read (7.5) Couturier (8.5) Simmons (6.0)
Rosehill (6.0) Talbot (5.5) Rinaldo (3.0)

Timonen (6.0) Gustafsson (5.0)
Grossmann (5.0) Coburn (6.0)
Streit (8.0) Schenn (5.5)

Mason (7.0)

I thought Voracek looked pretty good tonight. Yeah he had that bad turnover that led to a goal but for the most part he looked the Voracek of last year. IMO he was far more impressive than Giroux tonight.

jd2210

Registered Non User
Jul 24, 2009
Great White North
Good: The First game we actually should have won. G was impressive. Vinnys hatty
Bad: Rosehill, Hartnell looked rusty
Ugly: Attendance

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
Yeah, considering we have two front of the net guys who pretty much solely get points that way we might as well have Lecavalier launch hard shots at the net or have Streit shoot some carefully aimed ones.
It just seems like when they have actually gotten the PP set up this year, almost everything has been blocked. Lecavalier's shot is so hard that defensemen will probably think twice about blocking it and even if they do block it, it's doubtful they can control and clear like they can with Timonen's weak shots.

I don't think they've had a shot like this since Pronger left. Even then, I think Lecavalier's shot is better. Maybe not as heavy, but he gets it off quicker.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
It just seems like when they have actually gotten the PP set up this year, almost everything has been blocked. Lecavalier's shot is so hard that defensemen will probably think twice about blocking it and even if they do block it, it's doubtful they can control and clear like they can with Timonen's weak shots.

I don't think they've had a shot like this since Pronger left. Even then, I think Lecavalier's shot is better. Maybe not as heavy, but he gets it off quicker.

Pronger's was definitely better or at least utilized better. JVR had an insanely good slapper but he just didn't use it at all.

We just have to get the PP going and the best bet at doing that is keeping it simple with Hartnell and Simmonds going to the front, Lecavalier and Streit launching shots at the net, and Giroux doing his passing thing.

Insulin

Jan 23, 2013
Atlantic City
I just watched Giroux's post game interview and to me he sounded and looked like somebody who just had a gigantic weight taken off their shoulders.

Wish we didn't have to wait all the way until Tuesday to get back at it again.

Yukon Cornelius*

Just got back from the Brian Wilson/Jeff Beck show (F***in' Awesome!) Didn't even make out of the car before my neighbour said "Huge win tonight for your boys...what, were you taping it or something?

Stupid Portuguese Man-Child aside, the archived version isn't up on Gamecenter yet and I'm debating on staying up and watching it whenever Sox/Cards game ends. How'd we look?

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Just got back from the Brian Wilson/Jeff Beck show (F***in' Awesome!) Didn't even make out of the car before my neighbour said "Huge win tonight for your boys...what, were you taping it or something?

Stupid Portuguese Man-Child aside, the archived version isn't up on Gamecenter yet and I'm debating on staying up and watching it whenever Sox/Cards game ends. How'd we look?

For the most part, like an NHL team.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania

Exciting and encouraging.

cheesesteakarmor

Jul 18, 2009
What happened with Rinaldo that he had such little ice time? Did he miss a lot after taking that shot to the face?

I only listened to the first period, but he had two big hits....

orangecrush8

May 21, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
I too missed this game.

Nice to read this PGT and not see "this doesn't feel like a win, they still played like garbage".

Voracek's goal is encouraging. Nice power-move to the net.

Also, was the happiest I've seen G all season on Vinny's third of the night.

Jun 13, 2010
New Jersey
Couturier made a few real good plays in the offensive zone tonight. That pass to Read was beautiful. Hope he keeps gaining confidence and taking steps forward offensively speaking.

Lecavalier, Giroux, Voracek (besides that pass), Couturier, Talbot, Grossmann, Mason and Streit all had good games. So, pretty much the whole team.

Feels good to finally see a game like that. I just wish the Devils and Rangers lost tonight. :)

Fred Murtz

Jan 20, 2009
Eric Boulton vs Jay Rosehill OCt 26 2013

Vincent Lecavalier PPG snap shot goal 1-0

Last edited:

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
What happened with Rinaldo that he had such little ice time? Did he miss a lot after taking that shot to the face?

I only listened to the first period, but he had two big hits....

He had to get stitches so I imagine he missed several shifts while getting sewn. He probably had to go through concussion tests as well, along with the obligatory "Lay in a bathtub of ice in the hotel to see if you nearly die" test.

Fred Murtz

Jan 20, 2009
Jakub Voracek wrist shot goal 2-0

Zac Rinaldo takes a puck to the melon

Vincent Lecavalier wrist shot goal 4-2

s

Last edited:

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
Outstanding: Lecavalier
Good: Voracek, Couts, Streit, Gustafsson...
Bad: Rinaldo (2 penalties over 4 shifts, second penalty at the worst point of time with the Isles pressuring for the equalizer), Rosehill in the first when he just couldn't handle the fast forecking Isles and his turnover nearly cost them twice
Ugly: the short hander

The rest was solid overall but not especially notable.

OzFlyers

Registered Boozer
Jul 3, 2011
Australia
Outstanding: Lecavalier
Good: Voracek, Couts, Streit, Gustafsson...
Bad: Rinaldo (2 penalties over 4 shifts, second penalty at the worst point of time with the Isles pressuring for the equalizer), Rosehill in the first when he just couldn't handle the fast forecking Isles and his turnover nearly cost them twice
Ugly: the short hander

The rest was solid overall but not especially notable.

I thought Read had another good game as well.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
The good:

Berube:
I think you really have to give a lot of credit to Berube. He has instilled an actual D awareness. We arent scrambling in our own end all the time etc. The line up changes were great as well, better than nearly all ive seen on here. I like how he is going to get Talbot on the top line late in games when we are up. He has taught how to win games - keep playing to win but be responsible. I really like how he has put the young guys higher and given Schenn a more prominent role and opportunity. I really like him as a coach.

Scehn:
I dont think Voraceks pass was all that bad. Its not like it was a point to point pass. If that gets through or they dont score then no one even remembers it. G was late reacting and he went to the same guy the Dman was covering.

Mason:
I was one of the big supporters of the mason trade and was very excited to see him play this year. He has the tools to be a very good goalie, he already was a great goalie at one point, and he is only 25. He isnt too high in the rankings with some great play from goalies this year but he is ahead of bob!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad