Post-Game Talk: Sat jan 17, 2015 washington dallas 8:00 pm et *(MOD WARNING POST #2, EVERYONE READ)

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Yeah but here's the thing. As Tex has pointed out a few times, do we really want 1 and 1A? Is it possible tha Holtby doesn't get to where he is with a better goalie breathing down his neck? My feeling is that the team has more confidence in Grubes but wants him in the AHL developing. Come playoff time I think he's our backup.

But he's been hurt and Peters is not the guy. This team goes from contender to missing the playoffs if something happens to Holtby. Too big of a risk.

Mickstix

Nov 30, 2010
Central Florida
He looks much better paired with Schmidt. I don't get why he got sent down in the first place, and now he's injured for awhile because of management's incompetence.

Not sure how big a deal it was, but I think Schmidy was approaching his max # of NHL games allowed before having to go through waivers if sent down? I agree though, much rather have Nate on the ice with Green than Hillen.. Hillen fits the 7-8 role fine, but every night is a little much. I'd rather have Oleksy on the ice than Hillen as well..

Efactor

Dec 10, 2002
hfboards.mandatory.com
You'd break up the most consistent line in all three zones for what reason?

Laich is on pace for less than 60 games and under 20 points. The $4.5M could be spent better. He is a shell of what he once was. Time to move on. Latta could bring more than what he brings offensively, defensively, and play grittier if you get him in the line up and build his confidence.

Fallschirmyager

Jun 25, 2009
Peters wasn't terrible. The skaters in front of him for the most part, were.

What's the difference between a bad goalie and a team that plays badly in front of a goalie?

Nothing. It's usually both a loss. If the team can't or won't play well in front of Peters than there is 0 sense in keeping him on the roster.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Laich is on pace for less than 60 games and under 20 points. The $4.5M could be spent better. He is a shell of what he once was. Time to move on. Latta could bring more than what he brings offensively, defensively, and play grittier if you get him in the line up and build his confidence.

Guess you're not watching the games then? Points aren't everything. Laich's been excellent for a while now, which is why the hate has dried up. Why is it "time to move one", results be damned? Because you don't like his contract?

And I like Latta, but he's shown absolutely nothing to indicate that he'd offer more than Laich in any area but physicality and agitation.

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
God i wish we had gotten a point last night. And that Peters wasn't on our team.

EDM feeling like a must-win game all of a sudden

Halpysback*

Guess you're not watching the games then? Points aren't everything. Laich's been excellent for a while now, which is why the hate has dried up. Why is it "time to move one", results be damned? Because you don't like his contract?

And I like Latta, but he's shown absolutely nothing to indicate that he'd offer more than Laich in any area but physicality and agitation.

and not costing good player money

Vladiator16*

Sloppy but hearty effort on 2nd of back to backs, and probably one of the worst back ups in the league, plus giving teams 2-3 goals headstart never is a good thing...
We better not underestimate Edmonton.

Dream Big

Jun 10, 2005
Axis Mundi
God i wish we had gotten a point last night. And that Peters wasn't on our team.

EDM feeling like a must-win game all of a sudden

We all wish to get points in every game.

Peters was put in a bad position. Had not played since November and then with a Caps team on a back to back visitors schedule.

Playing against a rested home team whose last game was Thursday and also a home game.

Peters was not set up to succeed.

I'm not crapping on him.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Its great to see Ovi motivated again. Its been about 5 years now. Recently single, fresh off his Gillette deal... maybe it's all Trotz. I saw him smile on the ice recently.

He tried to smoke Goli behind the net and just missed. That was a potential candidate for hit of the year.

Nick has looked very motivated as well. I think I saw him finishing some checks last night.

All our teams stars has been half assing for 4 full years.

We are back baby

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
But he's been hurt and Peters is not the guy. This team goes from contender to missing the playoffs if something happens to Holtby. Too big of a risk.

most teams with a strong #1 are in big trouble if he gets hurt. its a reality. here's hoping he doesn't get hurt.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
On the 2nd game of back-to-backs they've now won 1 of 7.

4 points thrown away in 2 days.

Suds

Nov 27, 2014
High salaries=more games= tired/sore players=sub standard games.

The NHL is a business for profit.

I wish the AHL had more trust worthy players that could be used in a pinch. To my line of thinking, a highly skilled pro that isn't skating,passing or checking right -> useless.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
most teams with a strong #1 are in big trouble if he gets hurt. its a reality. here's hoping he doesn't get hurt.

I don't think that's true. Most real contenders don't go from top team to trouble winning any games if they have to play their backup. We've seen backup goaltenders step up and carry teams to the playoffs and even Cups. The issue isn't do you have two studs, it's how far is the drop off. Right now it looks like a chasm.

Mickstix

Nov 30, 2010
Central Florida
Wonder what it would take to get Brodeur from the Blues? (not much I'd imagine) He's now the 3rd string goalie, and a UFA making 700K.. I bet he'd love to come and play once every 7 or 8 games? I don't see a downside?

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
I think Holtby makes a couple of those saves Peters let in.

Laich has been invisible. I know he's accumulated some points recently but Wardo and Fehr seem like the two who try to make something happen on that line.

What was up with the line change last night? Two of the goals came directly off of it.

Sloppy game defensively.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Brodeur is hardly an upgrade over Peters at this point. I'd honestly rather drag Tomas Vokoun out of retirement than go with Brodeur.

More realistically, just give Grubby or Copley periodic call-ups to fill in games if all faith in Peters is lost.

Mickstix

Nov 30, 2010
Central Florida
Brodeur is hardly an upgrade over Peters at this point. I'd honestly rather drag Tomas Vokoun out of retirement than go with Brodeur.

More realistically, just give Grubby or Copley periodic call-ups to fill in games if all faith in Peters is lost.

Yea, his #'s are bad, but I think he'd respond playing for a team he thought had at least a shot? And if the unthinkable happened, we'd have a vet backup.. I don't think Gruby's even healthy at the moment, to be called up..

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Yea, his #'s are bad, but I think he'd respond playing for a team he thought had at least a shot? And if the unthinkable happened, we'd have a vet backup.. I don't think Gruby's even healthy at the moment, to be called up..

You don't think St. Louis has a shot? Really?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad