Saskatchewan Minor Hockey Thread II

hockeyviewer

May 26, 2013
Notre Dame will tell you to look at how many of their kids were drafted. I think most if not all would still have been drafted if they had played for Yorkton or balgonie or whoever. It is just the fact that the higher end talent generally goes here because that is what they should do and they want and can afford to and there is nothing wrong with this if the situation fits their plans. Bit to say they develope the players I think it is a stretch

nah68

Sep 13, 2012
My last bit on ND
You may be able to tell that I'm not a big ND guy. Before last year all I knew about the place is it's where top hockey players develop, because of the consistency of being able to be on ice a lot more and a regimented schedule. With the quality of education being offered as a added bonus, and if you're kid don't perform with education he don't get to play hockey. When we visited ND for a game I was overcome with the history that plasters the walls of the rink, very impressive! Here's the part that bothered me, the cost.....primarily because in the history of Athol Murray in the show case cabinet it writes of how kids were given a chance, a lot of them because they couldn't afford it. Now it's the polar opposite of what the founder of this school stood for. Instead of being a place where it's affordable, it's for those who can afford it. You may argue this, but if you are a low income parent your kid still probably can attend because of available bursaries. And if your wealthy it really doesn't matter now does it....but if you are in the middle you really can neither afford it, and are on the edge of being eligible for any type of assistance. There's my complaint! I will no longer post anything more about this place, there development of players speak for itself. They do have a great staff who genuinely care about the students and take that extra time to see that they are looked after. Just couldn't work for my guy, maybe the reason I'm a little bitter.

Hockeynoitall

Feb 14, 2013
My last bit on ND
You may be able to tell that I'm not a big ND guy. Before last year all I knew about the place is it's where top hockey players develop, because of the consistency of being able to be on ice a lot more and a regimented schedule. With the quality of education being offered as a added bonus, and if you're kid don't perform with education he don't get to play hockey. When we visited ND for a game I was overcome with the history that plasters the walls of the rink, very impressive! Here's the part that bothered me, the cost.....primarily because in the history of Athol Murray in the show case cabinet it writes of how kids were given a chance, a lot of them because they couldn't afford it. Now it's the polar opposite of what the founder of this school stood for. Instead of being a place where it's affordable, it's for those who can afford it. You may argue this, but if you are a low income parent your kid still probably can attend because of available bursaries. And if your wealthy it really doesn't matter now does it....but if you are in the middle you really can neither afford it, and are on the edge of being eligible for any type of assistance. There's my complaint! I will no longer post anything more about this place, there development of players speak for itself. They do have a great staff who genuinely care about the students and take that extra time to see that they are looked after. Just couldn't work for my guy, maybe the reason I'm a little bitter.

Thank God someone said lets move on already. Enough said about likes and dislikes about the program. If you send your son or daughter there then awesome, great for them and the family. The cost to go there is the cost and if you do not like it then move on. But everytime the topic pops up about ND there is someone out there that bashes the program. Leave it alone already and move on. Its like those dolls you could buy years ago with the cord you pulled to hear them talk. Its bla bla bla.

nah68

Sep 13, 2012
Leave it alone already and move on. Its like those dolls you could buy years ago with the cord you pulled to hear them talk. Its bla bla bla.[/QUOTE]

Please by all means start a topic, state your point, if you don't like what you are reading turn onto something else and quit scolding those who have a difference of opinion other than yours. From what I understand about posting on this site is the allowance to voice your opinion, log off if you don't like what's being conversed about.

PokeCheck101

Feb 1, 2011
Moving on.... The state of competitive hockey at the midget AA level is very alarming. I've spoken to several parents from several towns and kids are driving enormous distances just to play AA.... And the single biggest reason for this? Anyone??..., bantam draft. Period. The draft age should be bumped back to first year midget. Kids now a days at 14 are hanging up the blades because they didn't get drafted. If you bumped it to 16 you'd keep those same kids playing AA midget for at least the first year of midget. Very sad. AA midget is still very good hockey. The late bloomers get passed over and discouraged (fact). 15 yr olds get 5 games in dub. Hardly even worth it. Never understood it.

Even on these boards, absolutely no talk about midget AA. Anyone like to mention their top two or three kids not to be drafted?

PokeCheck101

Feb 1, 2011
As far as academies go I think SHA should take the zone model a step further:
Have open zone tryouts within first month of season... Team stays together all year (but kids allowed to also play on respective local teams)..... Zone teams play in four tournaments (Saskatoon, PA, Regina, Yorkton)... Or wherever. Make the weekends about educating all players and parents on nutrition and fitness... Two games a day... Just an idea

PorkChopSandwiches

Oct 31, 2011
Moving on.... The state of competitive hockey at the midget AA level is very alarming. I've spoken to several parents from several towns and kids are driving enormous distances just to play AA.... And the single biggest reason for this? Anyone??..., bantam draft. Period. The draft age should be bumped back to first year midget. Kids now a days at 14 are hanging up the blades because they didn't get drafted. If you bumped it to 16 you'd keep those same kids playing AA midget for at least the first year of midget. Very sad. AA midget is still very good hockey. The late bloomers get passed over and discouraged (fact). 15 yr olds get 5 games in dub. Hardly even worth it. Never understood it.

Even on these boards, absolutely no talk about midget AA. Anyone like to mention their top two or three kids not to be drafted?

I actually agree with you about the whole bantam draft thing, i never really see the point in protecting a player basically 2 years before they will play. So many things can happen to young players in 2 years.

Having said that - re: late bloomers, statistically it doesnt matter to the 'next level' about the late bloomers because there are enough 'early bloomers' to fill spots. The sad reality is, as you stated, that kids are hanging up the skates, because they see no possible reason to keep going. You cant grow the game if there is a bad taste in so many peoples mouths'.

hockeyviewer

May 26, 2013
I know a lot I kids quit after bantam but I don't think it is because they didn't get drafted at 15. How many quit the whl at 18 because they didn't get drafted to the NHL. Some of the ones playing elite levels for a couple of years are tired of travel and pressure and just play house hockey with hometown friends instead of midget AA. Other- including house league- kids at this age start to have interests in other things such as school or other sports becoming more demanding working pt cars girls etc. and do not want to play at all anymore. Hockey just isn't "the" thing to do anymore like it used to be.

nah68

Sep 13, 2012
How are the you "Saskatoon folk" enjoying the league? Which players are impressing you, and which ones are disappointing a bit?

dickiedunnwrotethis

It's gotta be true.
May 16, 2009
saskatoon
How are the you "Saskatoon folk" enjoying the league? Which players are impressing you, and which ones are disappointing a bit?

The biggest plus would be the sheer variety of teams and players coming through town. It's great to see the depth of talent across the province. While the GSHL provided an entertaining product (in large part due to the parity), there was some staleness in only having 6 teams. On the negative side, the erosion of "fair play" standards, while expected, is nonetheless not something I personally celebrate. But it is what it is.

As for who is impressing, I'll stick with the non-Saskatoon players I've seen:

Hobson - The dominant player on his team, and in my opinion, is one of the top 2 defensemen in the Northern division. Dynamic player who needs to be the offensive catalyst for a team that seems somewhat anemic offensively. Needs to rein in his emotions a tad.

Bzdel/Tuffs - Form the most dangerous line I've seen so far (have yet to watch Gardiner/Poncelet play). Excellent blend of size and skill.

Davidson/Gryzbowski - Strongest goaltending tandem out there. Simple as that.

Wieler/Shumanski - Didn't hear a lot about them before the season started but they've surprised me with their effective play. Not a lot of offense, but I've seen them both be quite effective in shut-down roles. Wieler impressed me first, but Shumanski just might turn out to the strongest of the two.

Hamm - Smallish, but plays unafraid with a high compete level. Very good skater with clutch goal scoring instincts.

If you've noticed a high proportion of SV players that would be because they're the strongest team I've seen this year. No go-to guy at forward, but a lot of depth. Solid defense led by Wieler/Shumanski, and the ability to put out an elite goaltender every game.

PokeCheck101

Feb 1, 2011
I know a lot I kids quit after bantam but I don't think it is because they didn't get drafted at 15. How many quit the whl at 18 because they didn't get drafted to the NHL. Some of the ones playing elite levels for a couple of years are tired of travel and pressure and just play house hockey with hometown friends instead of midget AA. Other- including house league- kids at this age start to have interests in other things such as school or other sports becoming more demanding working pt cars girls etc. and do not want to play at all anymore. Hockey just isn't "the" thing to do anymore like it used to be.

Ya all of this and video games.... Girls? Jobs? Not so much folks. They're all glued to their ipods, ipads, computers, PS3's, etc.... Heaven forbid parents provide gentle encouragement to get motivated heh.

The reason why most midgets quit competitive hockey is because their psychotic parents have overstepped the boundary between sanity and insanity by basically forcing their child to play elite the previous 8-10 years. Yes, to that I agree they want to play house because they are burnt out. However a good majority of parents that have been supportive, encouraging and standing in the shadows have produced some fine young men only to be passed up by scouts all too often. Unfortunate.

PokeCheck101

Feb 1, 2011
The biggest plus would be the sheer variety of teams and players coming through town. It's great to see the depth of talent across the province. While the GSHL provided an entertaining product (in large part due to the parity), there was some staleness in only having 6 teams. On the negative side, the erosion of "fair play" standards, while expected, is nonetheless not something I personally celebrate. But it is what it is.

As for who is impressing, I'll stick with the non-Saskatoon players I've seen:

Hobson - The dominant player on his team, and in my opinion, is one of the top 2 defensemen in the Northern division. Dynamic player who needs to be the offensive catalyst for a team that seems somewhat anemic offensively. Needs to rein in his emotions a tad.

Bzdel/Tuffs - Form the most dangerous line I've seen so far (have yet to watch Gardiner/Poncelet play). Excellent blend of size and skill.

Davidson/Gryzbowski - Strongest goaltending tandem out there. Simple as that.

Wieler/Shumanski - Didn't hear a lot about them before the season started but they've surprised me with their effective play. Not a lot of offense, but I've seen them both be quite effective in shut-down roles. Wieler impressed me first, but Shumanski just might turn out to the strongest of the two.

Hamm - Smallish, but plays unafraid with a high compete level. Very good skater with clutch goal scoring instincts.

If you've noticed a high proportion of SV players that would be because they're the strongest team I've seen this year. No go-to guy at forward, but a lot of depth. Solid defense led by Wieler/Shumanski, and the ability to put out an elite goaltender every game.

Agreed. I've seen several of the teams in action and what you are seeing is that every team has those few key components and the supporting case is either there or they are not. Many of the games have actually been quite close with a few surprises. The north is tighter than it actually looks with exception of SV who will continue to pull away IMO. From what I've seen even the cellar dwellers in the north WC if they had better fate in a few games they'd be actually in a tie for 4-5th. Surprised by P.A. but still feel they make a run in the mid stretch here and steal away a few games before Xmas too.

lefthook

Jan 15, 2013
SV is strong in the north but NE is better , PS will be strong in the south but Yorkton is better we will have to wait and see ?

nah68

Sep 13, 2012
SV is strong in the north but NE is better , PS will be strong in the south but Yorkton is better we will have to wait and see ?

Ya maybe Yorkton is better than PS, but the last meeting of SV and NE had them in a tie. Did NE outplay them that badly? Looking at stats for NE they get 51% of there offense from one line! They seem to give up there fair share of goals, so why are they that much better.

PokeCheck101

Feb 1, 2011
Ya maybe Yorkton is better than PS, but the last meeting of SV and NE had them in a tie. Did NE outplay them that badly? Looking at stats for NE they get 51% of there offense from one line! They seem to give up there fair share of goals, so why are they that much better.

And this is why IMO SV will continue to pull away. More depth. If one of two or both key offensive threats for NE get injured they will suffer. Off setting that may be the fact they are well coached BUT so is SV.

Great showing at Tuer tourney in Regina thus far. Some really nice hockey.

hockeyviewer

May 26, 2013
I watched mainly north teams during the pool play. The Saskatoon teams competed very well this year with two making the quarter finals. Humboldt played very well with Gardiner deserving MVP as he carried the team. SV was very steady with no super strong nor any weak players- will be very tough to beat. NE struggled offensively but surprised with low goals against to stay in all games. WC played well at times but just doesn't have the talent. Didn't see PA or NB so can't comment on them

Last edited:

PokeCheck101

Feb 1, 2011
I watched mainly north teams during the pool play. The Saskatoon teams competed very well this year with two making the quarter finals. Humboldt played very well with Gardiner deserving MVP as he carried the team. SV was very steady with no super strong nor any weak players- will be very tough to beat. NE struggled offensively but surprised with low goals against to stay in all games. WC played well at times but just doesn't have the talent. Didn't see PA or NB so can't comment on them

PA very solid at times but unfortunately some very dis-jointed hockey more times than not. I was surprised. Strong D with Hobson and Markevich though. To me their offense looked gassed at times or genuinely not concerned with being there. WC was able to compete against NE and keep Tuffs and Bzdel off the scoresheet. There were a few pleasant surprises in a few WC 2000's. Bosch is relied upon for offence but we all know without a supporting cast it's very difficult to compete.

Last edited:

SKHKY99

Jan 23, 2013
Graham Tuer
What all think?
Yorkton deserved to win very well balanced team 3 good lines and good defense goaltending doesnt get tested a lot but plays good. Miller by far the best 2000 in the league, smart player with and without puck.
Gardiner deserved MVP played intense all weekend and had some support from his second line and top d pairing of Scheschuk and Danbrook who logged well over 30 minutes a game in ones I saw. Poncelet struggled or team would have been top in pool and would have challenged for finals.
Tuffs and Bzdel were disappointing to me as they didnt do a lot in games I watched did a lot of floating. Tyson Meyers was the best player for NE and Arps played good.
Holt was great he has such great talent would like to see him going all the time. Seems like he could score at will.
Vipers dont give up a lot of goals had strong goaltending as well Hamm plays well didnt do a lot in final but looked tired. Have good D and limit chances.
Leschyshyn played good like his competiveness always going both ends.
Like Thomas and Ong on the outlaws too.

What everyone else think?
Top 99's at tourney?
Top 2000's?
I liked Gardiner, Holt, Hobson, Myers, Shewchuk and Ong watsched more North games?
I liked Reny, Miller, Taphorns and Moore all south 2000's?

nah68

Sep 13, 2012
Is it hard to understand why this happens, though? Against teams from provinces with 3 and 5 times the population?

O.k but really there was a few players left at home that I'm thinking would have helped.

SaskRinkRat

Apr 1, 2010
Not in any sort of sustainable way.

If you want a single Saskatchewan team to compete at that tournament on an ongoing basis, you're going to have to convince Alberta to send 3 teams and BC to send 5.

nah68

Sep 13, 2012
Not in any sort of sustainable way.

If you want a single Saskatchewan team to compete at that tournament on an ongoing basis, you're going to have to convince Alberta to send 3 teams and BC to send 5.

Well I didn't see alberta or B.C leave there top scorer at home! Or a physical force in Johnson with a offensive upside?

coach kleats

Oct 28, 2009
You can always make an argument for certain players making the team but I don't think is Sask's case it would make much of a difference. The bottom line is barring an upset it will always be BC/AB for gold and SK/MB for bronze.

I think in the interest of making the tourney I little more intriguing AB and BC should send 2 teams. It would give some more deserving kids from those provinces a good experience and it would level the playing field a bit.

nah68

Sep 13, 2012
Well I've been involved with enough teams to realize the addition or subtraction of a top end player is huge. Maybe not to win but in this case to be better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad