Saskatchewan Minor Hockey Thread II

PokeCheck101

Feb 1, 2011
You can always make an argument for certain players making the team but I don't think is Sask's case it would make much of a difference. The bottom line is barring an upset it will always be BC/AB for gold and SK/MB for bronze.

I think in the interest of making the tourney I little more intriguing AB and BC should send 2 teams. It would give some more deserving kids from those provinces a good experience and it would level the playing field a bit.

The purpose of the tournament is a single showcase. Let's not water that down too. What's next 18U send two teams? WJ 20U send two teams per country? Enough.

Last edited:

Superbowlfishca

Aug 20, 2012
AB AAA Tournaments vs SK

For all those who thought SK teams would get blown out in the Alberta tournaments they actually faired quite well.

Balgonie lost in the C final(2_1) and had a combined record of 2W- 3L with 11 GF and 15GA

Yorkton Lost(5-3) in the D Final with a combined record of 1W-4L with 16GF and 22GA.

I say not bad for SK teams drawing from at least 1/2 the populations of the Alberta/BC/MB teams.

Hockeynoitall

Feb 14, 2013
Sask Teams

Yes Yorkton and Prairie Storm did well at the AAA events. They are probably the only two teams from Sask that would be worthy of competing at that level. I talked to a couple of parents from the Yorkton team and they figure they are three players out from competing. They new they were in a different league but they were happy with how the boys played and managed to win one game against a smaller and weak Coquitlam team.

nah68

Sep 13, 2012
Yes Yorkton and Prairie Storm did well at the AAA events. They are probably the only two teams from Sask that would be worthy of competing at that level. I talked to a couple of parents from the Yorkton team and they figure they are three players out from competing. They new they were in a different league but they were happy with how the boys played and managed to win one game against a smaller and weak Coquitlam team.

The teams they beat would have been beat by quite a few more Sask teams. Just looked at Balgonies schedule, I'm thinking there will be a few L's put into there column before xmas. And a few after also, saying that these are the only 2teams that could have competed is BS, unless your from the south and believe that the south conference is that much better than the north.

Superbowlfishca

Aug 20, 2012
North Teams vs South Teams

If we look at the entire SBAAHL league really on any given night any team can beat any other team which tells me that SK teams overall would be able to compete against the lower tiered teams of the AB/BC/MB leagues. SBAAHL is a great league and judging from the parity among all the teams SHA has done a pretty good job of creating a system that tries to level the playing field. Could it be tweeked, sure but at least its decently close to allowing as many kids as possible play AA level hockey without having to travel more than 2 hours to practice in most circumstances.

Definitely SK Valley and NE are at a level to be able to consistently compete against Yorkton and Prairie Storm in any game . I would also put PA into the conversation if they can get their act together.

Would SK be able to compete against the top tiered teams in AB(SSAC, Cgy Bisons/Flames, Lloydminister)) BC(BWC, NSWC,POE,OHA) MB(Monachs),SK (ND) Never!
These programs are basically allstar teams from there respective areas drawing from 3 or four times the populations. AB and BC especially are all about the Have Nots and Haves in their leagues year in year out. In MB the Wpg teams draw from 250K populations compared to maybe 100K populations for the rural teams.

We see in SBAAHL that SK Valley and NE have had strong progams every year in the North and Prairie Storm in the south but these programs do not dominate the SBAAHL to the same degree that the top tier teams in AB and BC dominate in their respective leagues.
We dont need to create a system that allows us to compete against those programs. We need to create a system that develops good people and elite players!
So far so good I think for SK but if things change dramatically indicating poor development the model may have to change.

PokeCheck101

Feb 1, 2011
I couldn't agree more superbowlfish. Our league is fine. In fact I've seen a vast majority of teams play from north and south. There are bright spots throughout the entire league. I've seen top teams battling it out, I've seen weak teams battling and playing with the top teams. It's been great. We shouldn't be concerned about competing against BC and AB elite. Our elite kids are getting drafted just the same and IMO if an elite kid makes the REST of his/her team better that's the kid I want. That's the kid I want to invest an organization's interests in. Any kid on an assembled highly elite team full of equally elite is sometimes not beneficial to draft position. The intangibles become masked. It's like the argument on size. How many times I've heard "he's a big body" and all the like. But look at the total package before you give the golden ticket to the next level. I could go on and on with that but I won't. Bottom line is SHA has a good model here that is working just fine.

justthinking

May 19, 2013
Regina
Swift Current tourney

The Saskatoon Outlaws beat Weyburn Redwings 5 -4 in A -Final and Saskatoon Stallions beat the SC 4-2 in the other Final. Swift finally beat a team in their tourney for their first win of the year. Pretty exciting for them. Also SC was beating NB by 4 but they came up short and lost 7-6.

Mbhockeyfan

Nov 29, 2013
Sbaahl, mb yadda yadda yadda

You guys should be proud of the sbaahl. It is a true provincial league. In manitoba there are really two regions. Inside perimeter highway and outside.the winners of the sbaahl represents in westerns. Winnipeg aaa league has no playoff format. The rural teams all go to a tournament and the city tteams playoff. The rural champ plays city champ to go to westerns. You would think that wpg could make a few more teams considering its pop is equal or greater than stoon and regina combined. Aaa or aa doesn't matter what you want to call it. As for rural teams i know for sure that at least 4 of the western teams didn't have more than 35 kids tryout. If thats is because low numbers or kids who just knew they couldn't make it i don't know. As a parent i wish my kid could have played in sask. Great league for the elite and for development. Some kids really don't understand the game till late bantam/early midget so you want them to keep playing to give them that chance. Sbaahl provides that opportunity. Just my two cents.
Ps, glad to see stoon is in and for the most part competing and doing well. Big topic this past spring amongst my sask buddies!

Superbowlfishca

Aug 20, 2012
MB Hockey

Good to get an outsiders perspective. MB has some great 1999 and 2000 players coming out of their programs. But you make a good point. Given that Wpg teams are drawing from about 250K the playing filed is skewed massively in their favor. I think they do this because they feel this must happen for them to compete at Westerns. but it creates a system of haves and have nots and therefore it is not a true "provincial" league.
Screw westerns, it's a weekend of hockey. Saskatchewan's system is highly competitive and the hope is twofold. That our elites develop at a level on par with all of the kids of Canada. And with the hope that nobody falls through the cracks.

Ryan Getzlaf did not even play triple AAA midgets as a 15 year old. He was cut by the Regina Pat Canadians. Kris Kunitz was on nobodies radar playing for the Melville Millionairs in junior, then moving on to college on a scholarship and now is in the conversation to play for Team Canada in the Olympics. Great examples of how kids develop at many rates and stages.

nah68

Sep 13, 2012
One thing I've really noticed in league play is if you have a goalie that can play, your chance of winning increases greatly. As for Messier in ND, whens the last time a coach in minor hockey resigns?

PokeCheck101

Feb 1, 2011
Resigned??? Half way through season? Interesting. Perhaps he was given a choice? Resign sounds better than fired. Could be anything though. Hard to read anything into it.

TitanJofaDaoust

Jan 21, 2013
Any comments on the Saskatoon Blazers? They have lost 7 in a row and the game I saw in Regina on Dec 1st they looked very disorganized.

nah68

Sep 13, 2012
Just wondering how the P.A tournament was, see that wehp has posted that SV has won, but no scores from other games. Were the Alberta and Winnipeg teams aaa or were they aa?

AlbertaHockey20

Feb 25, 2012
The Alberta teams were AAA. They were lower end teams, but both are fairly competitive on a game to game basis.

Fort Saskatchewan 4-12-2 42GF 78GA
Grande Prairie 2-13-4 48GF 100GA

Saskatchewan appears relatively stronger this year to my eye. Yorkton was able to beat a mid of the road Alberta team in Camrose (6-6-4 58GF 57GA) 5-2 in tournament play earlier in the year.

nosoup

Jun 7, 2011
Any comments on the Saskatoon Blazers? They have lost 7 in a row and the game I saw in Regina on Dec 1st they looked very disorganized.

Young and lost more than average amount of man/games to injury? Should improve next year I would imagine.

nah68

Sep 13, 2012
The Alberta teams were AAA. They were lower end teams, but both are fairly competitive on a game to game basis.

Fort Saskatchewan 4-12-2 42GF 78GA
Grande Prairie 2-13-4 48GF 100GA

Saskatchewan appears relatively stronger this year to my eye. Yorkton was able to beat a mid of the road Alberta team in Camrose (6-6-4 58GF 57GA) 5-2 in tournament play earlier in the year.

Thanks....I see Humboldt beat Grand prairie, they are middle of pack in sbaahl. SV beat both GP and Fort Sask, and Estevan beat GP also. I'm sure 500 plus teams in Alberta would consistently beat up most Sask teams. See that there was a Manitoba aaa team there, they lost 3 outa 4 games, one against swift. Looked on there website and see their about 500, they were the sharks. Either way sure that Sask was pleased they were able to compete at there level.

Superbowlfishca

Aug 20, 2012
SHA Rules on AP Players

Does anybody out there know the rules for teams to AP players from lower division to higher division. ie Is there a maximum amount of games a player or team is allowed to AP a specific player?

nah68

Sep 13, 2012
Does anybody out there know the rules for teams to AP players from lower division to higher division. ie Is there a maximum amount of games a player or team is allowed to AP a specific player?

B4 it used to be sign a a.p up, and use for as many games as you need til jan 10th, then max 5 games. If they played more than 5 games they had to play up after that date. Now simple, 10 games max, not including tourney play, after 10 games they must play back with there original club. Is this 100%....not really but pretty sure that's how I understood it at meeting. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Northwestcott

Dec 15, 2013

An AP player is now allowed to only play 10 games with their AP team. Once their originally rostered team is eliminated from playoffs they are able to play full time with their AP team. That is what I understand from Zone meetings.

PokeCheck101

Feb 1, 2011
Thanks....I see Humboldt beat Grand prairie, they are middle of pack in sbaahl. SV beat both GP and Fort Sask, and Estevan beat GP also. I'm sure 500 plus teams in Alberta would consistently beat up most Sask teams. See that there was a Manitoba aaa team there, they lost 3 outa 4 games, one against swift. Looked on there website and see their about 500, they were the sharks. Either way sure that Sask was pleased they were able to compete at there level.

The teams from AB were average in their league. SK teams competed very well. Case in point even WC lost a one goal game against Fort SK. I didn't find the AB teams to be dominant in any way. As mentioned even Swift Current competed.

icnet

Aug 1, 2012
When I use the term "average team" this would mean .500. These two teams are not .500

nah68

Sep 13, 2012
When I use the term "average team" this would mean .500. These two teams are not .500

Sask teams are somewhat underrated by our neighbours from the west and east. I'm just gonna guess at this number, but I'm thinking that most Alberta teams draw from at least 80k??? Maybe more for the bigger centers. Those who draw from less are probably near the bottom of the standings, those with more....near the top. Am I right or wrong in this statement? If Calgary is drawing from 200k + put this in perspective, that's NE, Humboldt, SV, NB, West central, and P.A combined, minus 50k. The team that would come out of that draw area would do more than just compete. And just loked at website on ambhl, Camrose who's a 500 team(avg) lost to Fort Sask.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->