Saskatchewan Minor Hockey Thread II

hockeyviewer

May 26, 2013
I was also at Warman yesterday and there is quite a bit of talent in sask. I think that the players that stood out we're playing more of a team game than the others. A lot of individual play out there. I know it would be impossible to do but it would be nice if the teams could have had a practice together so they would at least know their linemates names. All in all was a good showing for the first time holding an event like this. With some minor changes I think this will be a valuable scouting tool for junior teams. There were a lot of scouts there so they must think it was worth going to.

nah68

Sep 13, 2012

Also it would be my opinion that 25-30 of these kids will make the Sask First Top 40 roster in the 1999 age group. We will see but the group they had at this showcase is a great representation of the entire 1999 age group in the province.

Well superbowl with a comment like this, it really shows me that the kids that attended this "showcase" are the ones that will be assured to be in the top 40. With your aaa comment from spring hockey, did your team go to a top end tournament? Did you attend the subway? Or even to throw a real curve ball at you did the Sask 99 spring teams play each other in any games. I do know the answer to that, and still am baffled as to why....you are willing to haul your kid to a showcase in warman but are more than willing to protect him from not playing against each other in a spring exhibition game were scouts could be invited to see how they compete against each other. If scouts, like you stated, were asked about who they thought should be there. I do find that very hard to believe, and I'm not going to get into bringing out kids names because this is not what this was supposed to be about. SHA picks top 40, I hope for the sake of kids who weren't at this game they don't get overlooked before it even starts.

Last edited:

Superbowlfishca

Aug 20, 2012
Opinions!!

Note I prefaced my comment with the word “opinion†and yes it was my choice and my son’s choice to attend this event.
The Subway spring tournament is the premier event for all age groups in Western Canada. I have attended it for many years now. I watched the “Huskies†play two games there this year and they were very competitive in both games. In the Alberta Spartans game they lost but really the score did not indicate the play and the Huskies where very good in this game against one of the top teams in Western Cda this year. Their record was 0-3 in round robin with 3 GF and 15GA so it appears they lacked finish.
In my “Opinion†the Huskies were the top team in SK in the 99 age group. Really there was only one other team in SK, the ND Prospects and they played in some lower end spring tournaments this year.
Really this prospects game has no bearing on Sask First and how the kids get picked for that stream. My comment as you put it is just that. At the end of the day when things play out we will see whose opinion matches the actual result. I don’t think anyone’s opinion on this forum effects anything related to Sask First its really just for “Shi** and giggle.â€

nah68

Sep 13, 2012
Note I prefaced my comment with the word “opinion†and yes it was my choice and my son’s choice to attend this event.
The Subway spring tournament is the premier event for all age groups in Western Canada. I have attended it for many years now. I watched the “Huskies†play two games there this year and they were very competitive in both games. In the Alberta Spartans game they lost but really the score did not indicate the play and the Huskies where very good in this game against one of the top teams in Western Cda this year. Their record was 0-3 in round robin with 3 GF and 15GA so it appears they lacked finish.
In my “Opinion†the Huskies were the top team in SK in the 99 age group. Really there was only one other team in SK, the ND Prospects and they played in some lower end spring tournaments this year.
Really this prospects game has no bearing on Sask First and how the kids get picked for that stream. My comment as you put it is just that. At the end of the day when things play out we will see whose opinion matches the actual result. I don’t think anyone’s opinion on this forum effects anything related to Sask First its really just for “Shi** and giggles.â€

Sorry I jumped on you!

nah68

Sep 13, 2012
Really this prospects game has no bearing on Sask First and how the kids get picked for that stream. My comment as you put it is just that. At the end of the day when things play out we will see whose opinion matches the actual result. I don’t think anyone’s opinion on this forum effects anything related to Sask First its really just for “Shi** and giggles.â€

I apologize for hopping on your comments, over reacted.

hockeyviewer

May 26, 2013
I think people have to realize each one of these events doesn't make or break a kids career( if he is going to have one) by itself it is just one place to compare them to others. This event, regular season, tournament- like Graham Tuer for one, Saskfirst spring hockey are all used for scouting purposes. If you don't play in one or two of them doesn't mean your " career" is doomed. Play hard all the time and you will be noticed. Even some house league players are scouted so relax and enjoy playing and play to the best of your ability and you may go somewhere

radioface

Sep 27, 2013
I was at the game myself and forgot to post my thoughts
- Kustra and Holt were head and shoulders above everyone, in my opinion. Could have just been one game but they always noticed them on the ice. Kustra for his physical game, Holt for how dynamic he is with the puck.
- I was disappointed in Leschyshyn, Tuffs, Milligan, and Gardiner, after hearing so much good about them coming in. Leschyshyn shied away from gritty areas, Tuffs was floating, and Milligan and Gardiner didn't do anything that stood out to me.
- I agree with the poster above that said Tuchscherer and Arps were the better two goalies. Arps is going to be a big, big kid when he's fully grown and will cover a lot of net.
- Bzdel, Sandomirsky, Poncelet, and the Manz twins really impressed me. All worked hard. I'd say Bzdel would have been my player of the game for Team Blue.
- For defensemen, I liked Hobson, Sass, and Randell.

In any event, it was one game and not going to make or break a career, just like not making the game won't. It's going to be a fun year watching the bantams in Sask.

nah68

Sep 13, 2012
I was at the game myself and forgot to post my thoughts
- I was disappointed in Leschyshyn, Tuffs, Milligan, and Gardiner, after hearing so much good about them coming in. Leschyshyn shied away from gritty areas, Tuffs was floating, and Milligan and Gardiner didn't do anything that stood out to me.
- I agree with the poster above that said Tuchscherer and Arps were the better two goalies. Arps is going to be a big, big kid when he's fully grown and will cover a lot of net.
-

Tuffs, Milligan, and Gardiner....hmm, not sure but these kids are proven in last years play, and I do believe they will be forces to be reckoned with again this season. As for Tuchscherer and Arps, would have been nice to compare them to Morin, Henri, or Grybowski. I think you would have seen a more even playing field.

hockeyviewer

May 26, 2013
People are saying what they seen at this event. I agree with most of what is said. You can't compare the kids who were here to the ones that weren't. Yes maybe some who weren't here should have been but they weren't for whatever reason so for THIS game they couldn't be compared. I am sure over the year they all will be scouted at other events and some will like different players at that event. Most of the time in Sunday each was playing a selfish game which made them and others look bad. Some of the players had already played two games this weekend so were probably out of game shape this early in the season.
It will be better seeing them play on a system that they know and then we will see more of their talent.

SKHKY99

Jan 23, 2013
A few players that might make an impact on their teams this year that didnt play in league last year are Boutin and Stenson in Swift Current, Bil twins in NB , Danbrook and Sorensen in Humboldt. Watched these kids in Provincials last couple of years with their home town teams. Interesting to see how they do. Anybody else have any that may be worth keeping an eye out for that are new.

Superbowlfishca

Aug 20, 2012
Bantam AA Kids

A few players that might make an impact on their teams this year that didnt play in league last year are Boutin and Stenson in Swift Current, Bil twins in NB , Danbrook and Sorensen in Humboldt. Watched these kids in Provincials last couple of years with their home town teams. Interesting to see how they do. Anybody else have any that may be worth keeping an eye out for that are new.
Boutin and Senson did not stick out in a game i saw SC play. But two kids that I knew very little about and that surprised me where Evan Thomas from the Saskatoon Outlaws and Ryan Hordal from the PA Raiders. Evan Thomas made his line click with his good passing and some drives to the net. Ryan Hordal is a big(huge) kid who played great at both F and D. Can really skate for a big guy and showed some very good puck skills in the game I saw.

PokeCheck101

Feb 1, 2011
Thomas... Uneventful.
Holt... Dynamic.
Bzdel... Inspired.
Tuffs... Strong.
Arps... Solid.
Labelle... Consistent.
Bosch... Potential.
Tuscherer... Tested often, responded well.
Obrowsky... Solid.

I see the north shaping up to be P.A., NE and SV, no particular order yet. All with veteran leadership and good coaching. The stats are already shaping up in that way. Bottom dwellers will be WC and likely a few of the city teams. Unfortunately WC put all their eggs in one basket last year. Huge turn over has them winless and a team with little bantam AA experience. They are a year away from being talked about. It will be interesting to see how the city teams manage the travel and 3 games in 3 or 4 nights scenarios. I'm cautiously not counting Humboldt out of the top four (north) as they have had a few close games already.

nah68

Sep 13, 2012
.I see the north shaping up to be P.A., NE and SV, no particular order yet. All with veteran leadership and good coaching. The stats are already shaping up in that way. Bottom dwellers will be WC and likely a few of the city teams. Unfortunately WC put all their eggs in one basket last year. Huge turn over has them winless and a team with little bantam AA experience. They are a year away from being talked about. It will be interesting to see how the city teams manage the travel and 3 games in 3 or 4 nights scenarios. I'm cautiously not counting Humboldt out of the top four (north) as they have had a few close games already.

My top 5 is p.a, then Ne. These 2 teams in my opinion will be 1st and 2nd respectively. Followed by maniacs, sv, and Humboldt. North battleford may push there way into the mix also. P.A strength is defense with Hobson, and Markevich, Sawchuk main push on Offense, then other lines just average. NE has the beasts, Tuffs and bzdel...Arps also, but have shown signs of offensive craziness but get past that line and beating them is achievable. Maniacs, have most of the bigger names in the city like Mcleod, vogel, antonadias, prefontaine. Problem is it drops of hard from there, Antonadias is ther best player, McLeod has trouble seeing the ice, and vogel looks a little out of sorts, he'll be better though. SV is a real mystery, defense looks o.k with weiler and Thorpe, up front Adrian, Hamm, and Thorpe seems to be clicking. Grybowski, Davidson could be the best 1 2 punch in the league. Humbolt is and will be hard to handle, as Gardiner and poncelet go so will there team. Have them finishing top 5.
All in all very even, teams that are deeper in there lineups seem to do better in the long run. Rest of city teams also seem to be good but may take a while to get up to compete level they need to be at.

PokeCheck101

Feb 1, 2011
My top 5 is p.a, then Ne. These 2 teams in my opinion will be 1st and 2nd respectively. Followed by maniacs, sv, and Humboldt. North battleford may push there way into the mix also. P.A strength is defense with Hobson, and Markevich, Sawchuk main push on Offense, then other lines just average. NE has the beasts, Tuffs and bzdel...Arps also, but have shown signs of offensive craziness but get past that line and beating them is achievable. Maniacs, have most of the bigger names in the city like Mcleod, vogel, antonadias, prefontaine. Problem is it drops of hard from there, Antonadias is ther best player, McLeod has trouble seeing the ice, and vogel looks a little out of sorts, he'll be better though. SV is a real mystery, defense looks o.k with weiler and Thorpe, up front Adrian, Hamm, and Thorpe seems to be clicking. Grybowski, Davidson could be the best 1 2 punch in the league. Humbolt is and will be hard to handle, as Gardiner and poncelet go so will there team. Have them finishing top 5.
All in all very even, teams that are deeper in there lineups seem to do better in the long run. Rest of city teams also seem to be good but may take a while to get up to compete level they need to be at.

I agree with your assessment... I'm seeing a lot of mysterious finishes this year already. You know, if Poncelet gets injured Humboldt will plummet.

PokeCheck101

Feb 1, 2011
P.A. will bounce back... Shakey start.

I've been told WC broke their goose egg. Tied Scissons team 2-2.

Superbowlfishca

Aug 20, 2012
Melville Bantam AA Tourney This Weekend

Records:
Parkland(MB Team from Dauphin-Roblin Area) Record: 4-0 A Final Winners
Yorkton Record :3-1 Lose 7-3 In A Final
Melville Record: 2-1-1 B Final Winners Beat Weyburn 8-4
Weyburn Record: 1-2-1
Estevan Record 2-1-1 C Final Winners Beat Regina 6-5
Regina Pat Blues Record 1-3
Humbolt Record 1-2-1 D Final Winners Beat Regina 4-2
Regina Silver Foxes Record 0-4

Humbolt had a tough weekend and this was a big surprise. Regina teams a combined 1-7 record. Bottom line including Yorkton and my opinion. There was no SK team that was head and shoulders better than any other so the South is wide open as far as who will come out of the league.

I have seen PA play one game this year and they looked very good but went into Yorkton and got smoked which tells me that the entire SBAAHL is wide open.

If a poster makes comment on some of the players performances I may also weigh in on the topic.

Last edited:

Hockeynoitall

Feb 14, 2013
Sask Bantam AA

I recently was in contact with one of the parents off the Parkland team and that team is about the middle of the pack in Manitoba. If that is the case then this just shows that Manitoba is ahead of Saskatchewan in terms of developing their players. If Yorkton stays healthy they will win the league and go to Westerns this year. I watched the game between PA and Yorkton and it was not even close. PA is to be one of the top teams in the north? I have not seen the other teams yet, but I hope there is more talent out there than that. Was recently on the Rocky Mountain Bantam AAA Classic web site and looks like Yorkton is attending. This will be a good indication as to where a top team from Sask fits into the scheme of things. Personally my thoughts are they will get hammered. I do hope that they can make it competitive and keep a game or two close. But to be realistic, this wont happen.

nah68

Sep 13, 2012
I recently was in contact with one of the parents off the Parkland team and that team is about the middle of the pack in Manitoba. If that is the case then this just shows that Manitoba is ahead of Saskatchewan in terms of developing their players. If Yorkton stays healthy they will win the league and go to Westerns this year. I watched the game between PA and Yorkton and it was not even close. PA is to be one of the top teams in the north? I have not seen the other teams yet, but I hope there is more talent out there than that. Was recently on the Rocky Mountain Bantam AAA Classic web site and looks like Yorkton is attending. This will be a good indication as to where a top team from Sask fits into the scheme of things. Personally my thoughts are they will get hammered. I do hope that they can make it competitive and keep a game or two close. But to be realistic, this wont happen.

Well then what are we waiting for lets cut the teams down in half again, get to the aaa level and be done with it! Just so we can compete with our neighbouring provinces? If that actually happened we would be very competitive, but I don't think it develops our players here at home any differently.

Superbowlfishca

Aug 20, 2012
Sask Model OK!!

I agree with above comment. BC, Alberta, MB teams all draw from bigger population bases. As pointed out in this post many times our model does fine at developing players and a change creates more problems than its worth. I know some parents on the Parkland team. They have kids that have to travel 2 hours to and from practice!! That's insanity.

They were a very good team, Very well coached. Probably had 4-5 premium players on the team, wheres as most SK teams have 2-4. We catch up in Midget AAA as far as rep by population is concerned and do very well so that is where it should stay.

Put a team of Yorkton --Melville together or Weyburn-- Estevan and they crush the Parkland team. Even though there is probably an argument on whether the population draw matches. I do know t the population draw for that Parkland team is greater than most of our AA teams in SK.

And another point, this Parkland team won the D Event in that tournament last year. Winning one game. That area is very strong in the 99 age group.

Last edited:

icnet

Aug 1, 2012
I agree with above comment. BC, Alberta, MB teams all draw from bigger population bases. As pointed out in this post many times our model does fine at developing players and a change creates more problems than its worth. I know some parents on the Parkland team. They have kids that have to travel 2 hours to and from practice!! That's insanity.

For clarification not all teams have a large population in Alberta or BC. In Alberta there are bantam aaa teams that have as little as 40 players trying out for the team. And there are many a players that travel more than a hour and half one way for each ice time. Not all roses across the border.

nah68

Sep 13, 2012
Any one else notice how bad ND bantam aa are! Are these kids the ones who get cut from the aaa program? Really surprised at the quality of the team, seeing as they are supposed to be the hockey hub of sask.

Superbowlfishca

Aug 20, 2012
ND Bantam AA

Any one else notice how bad ND bantam aa are! Are these kids the ones who get cut from the aaa program? Really surprised at the quality of the team, seeing as they are supposed to be the hockey hub of sask.

Yes they are pretty bad.
Many of the kids on this team are there for other reasons like other sports, education, religion. The team last year were not good either but I did notice a big improvement in their play over the course of the year as did all the teams in SBAAHL. We will see but I would expect the team to improve immensely over the course of the year. And that is a little bit of what it is all about.
I realize many of the posters on this board have a problem with ND or feel it hurts SK hockey. I don't get it. To me they are a great option for those who can afford it.
I have not seen the Bantam AAA team play but so far they are undefeated in the Midget AA league and that is way better than I expected.

Last edited:

nah68

Sep 13, 2012
. I don't get it. To me they are a great option for those who can afford it.
I have not seen the Bantam AAA team play but so far they are undefeated in the Midget AA league and that is way better than I expected.

I think when you say afford it that's what gets me....your allowance to play a higher level of hockey in Sask is for those who can afford it? Other than that its aa for the rest which actually suits me just fine, but the question lingers on as to why the allowance for a aaa team only out of ND. This is why we have other private academies, for those who can "afford" it. Yes maybe the level of play and growth exceeds that of playing aa, but if that is the case why is SHA not seeking a aaa league? Is it the idea that going to ND places another "a" on a jacket? Does he get more exposure? Probably yes, hence the reason for instead of afford I would say cost.

Superbowlfishca

Aug 20, 2012
ND

Fair enough. Lets say cost. As I mentioned in a previous post their are many variables that enter into the development of a player the most important of which is talent. My belief is the SK model is fine in its current state and gives every player the opportunity to develop to an elite level. My belief is if you have the heart combined with the talent in the current model most SK kids will stream into a system that develops them to their full potential, even if they decide to stay in SK.
Our current model is not cheap especially if one moves on to play at a Midget AAA level. It is too expensive a proposition for some in its current state. Not fair but life is not always fair.

That being said money does play into the equation. My guess is with the exception of maybe the USA - Canadians spend more money on the sport of hockey than any country in the world. Hence we are number 1. And the amount of money the Americans spend on hockey and sport in general creates a more elite athlete hence they are number one in most olympic games. And in alot of sports period.

SaskRinkRat

Apr 1, 2010
Is there any evidence that playing at Notre Dame is actually better, developmentally speaking?

I'll grant you that a lot of people seem to believe this is the case, but is there any hard evidence that it - or any other hockey academy, for that matter - does a better job at developing hockey players?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad