Saskatchewan Minor Hockey Thread II

icnet

Aug 1, 2012
idea that Alberta doubles BC in registration is way off.

Last years numbers..

Bantam male
British Columbia 6028
Alberta 7,415
Saskatchewan 3001
Manitoba 2627

Perfect! Anyone now want to check the bantam draft and statistically track the number of draft picks from each province and divide it by these numbers. That would give you # of drafts per province ratio of bantam players drafted. I believe most would be surprised to find the numbers fairly even but it would be interesting.... A little time consuming but maybe this would help some people get over it and move on to other topics.[/QUOTE]

Even with the numbers presented many opinions could be formed. Of the 7400 from Alberta numbers show that 3600 of these are from Calgary and Edmonton. The other teams in the league are no where close to these. Much more like Saskatchewan's numbers. As for BC all of their top players move to only four teams.

TitanJofaDaoust

Jan 21, 2013
Pretty simple math..

BC:
6028/46 = 1 boy drafted per 131 registered bantam males

AB:
7415/77 = 1 boy drafted per 96

SK:
3001/37 = 1 boy drafted per 81

MB:
2627/36 = 1 boy drafted per 72

So it appears that my earlier premise is correct for this past year anyways.. and during an off year for Saskatchewan. Clearly BC is not developing kids nearly as well as the other provinces and I suspect they haven't for years.

OldClub needs to step out of the 80s and realize that all areas of Canada have other sports that compete for youth sport enrolment. I could care less what sport kids play as long as they play.

Your move, OldClub.

OldCub

Jan 9, 2011
Yes the math is very simple, but skewed primarily because SK had 8 kids drafted in rounds 10 and above. My way of example: AB had 10 first round picks with 7,415 bantam participants or 1.35 first round picks per thousand participants and SK who had 3 first round picks with 3001 participants or 1.0 first round picks per thousand bantam participants. AB had 22 first + second round picks or 2.97 picks per thousand participants while SK had 4 first + second round picks or 1.33 first and second rounders per thousand participants. You can continue with the math in all subsequent rounds you will find that AB is ahead in all rounds except after 4 rounds but jumps ahead and stays ahead till the 8 SK picks in rounds 10 and above. Yes SK wins if you want to emphasize the very last rounds.

My point is not to say AB produces better or more players than SK, but to stress kids can and will come from all areas of Canada. Just this "per capita" comments always irritates me.

SNIPE

Wheaties #1
Mar 12, 2013
idea that Alberta doubles BC in registration is way off.

Last years numbers..

British Columbia 62, 003
Alberta 71, 691
Saskatchewan 37, 817
Manitoba 29, 401

Bantam male
British Columbia 6028
Alberta 7,415
Saskatchewan 3001
Manitoba 2627

Perfect! Anyone now want to check the bantam draft and statistically track the number of draft picks from each province and divide it by these numbers. That would give you # of drafts per province ratio of bantam players drafted. I believe most would be surprised to find the numbers fairly even but it would be interesting.... A little time consuming but maybe this would help some people get over it and move on to other topics.[/QUOTE]

WEHP has just done it, complete break down of the stats per province

Superbowlfishca

Aug 20, 2012
Kids Come From All Areas

My point is not to say AB produces better or more players than SK, but to stress kids can and will come from all areas of Canada. Just this "per capita" comments always irritates me.

Absolutely!! And that is all good. But the reason you do not like the per capita comment is that facts go against your premise or argument.
We are having a discussion about which province does the best job of developing players!

Fact Saskatchewan does a great job(probably better job) per capita (and per registration and per bantam registration) at producing players that get drafted in the WHL bantam draft.

Also fact(and who cares why) Saskatchewan has more kids per capita who pick hockey as their sport of choice to play over any other province.

It does appear that BC and Alberta do a better job of developing a higher elite player when they reach the second bantam year. But i think the reason many SK kids are picked in the later rounds is history dictates that these kids will continue to pursue that hockey dream rather than choose to quit. Probably a cultural thing.

Below is link to WEHP Stats:
http://westernelitehockeyprospects....entage-of-bantams-drafted-per-enrollment.html

DirtyWinger29

Dec 6, 2012
Hello Everyone, I am excited that hockey is back and by the looks of the posts so are the rest of you.

I think we need to stop comparing Sask Bantam AA to other provinces Bantam AAA, in my mind it's pointless to compare things that are nothing alike. The other provinces have more people which means more players & coaches to choose from, they also have more money and better facilities. If you want that for your kid then send them to Notre Dame.

The Sask Bantam AA league brings our top players into one league, just not as elite as other provinces. If we were to eliminate teams to make it more competitive we would then have players travelling 2hr+ just to get to practices and that's just not feasible, especially so that 1 team can be more competitive at westerns.

If we could do one thing better in Sask hockey we need to have a better framework below the Bantam AA's. In the other provinces if you don't make the AAA's you still have access to competitive hockey & good coaching at the AA level. With Sask you have no other option than house league hockey. SHA should create some Bantam A leagues, that would put the kids that are still serious about hockey together so they can continue to develop. The kids that don’t' take it serious but still have fun playing can play at the house level.

My last comment is directed at those who talk down other sports, I think you’re missing the point. I love hockey and always will, I have never played a day of soccer in my life, but not everyone can play hockey. I don't care if you play hockey, football, soccer or table tennis.....the point is to get off your butt and do something!

Take Care,
DW

Superbowlfishca

Aug 20, 2012
Bantam A Leagues

Great points DW. I apologize to Old Cub but I was on a rant LOL. I do agree that no matter the sport the key is that the kids get out and play.

Estevan has a Bantam A team that plays in the Regina league. Seven players from that team are playing with the Bantam AA team this year. This team is huge for our overall development and program yet two things are at play here to eliminate this team.

1) Regina league has been considering dropping the small center teams from its program due to travel and politics.
2)Our board here feels dropping this team would create a situation to strengthen our house teams which currently struggle big time in our small center rural leagues.

I say dropping it would be a big mistake.
Rather they should open up our double AA and A programs to more imports in order to strengthen the overall program.
Again there is big politics at work both internally in Estevan(among a group that wants no imports) and within the rural because they see it as weakening their programs significantly. There is little or no cooperation for many reasons and because of history and culture. Very complex issue.
The rural does have a point though because even loosing one or two players creates a situation where they would have no team.( Solution?maybe Estevan could replace those lost but again who wants to be that family or kid from Estevan who has to travel)

Bottom line, the only way to solve these problems is for people to have an open mind to cooperation, and to have a mindset that it is all about the kids. And about giving every kid the chance to reach their full potential.

Old and Slow

May 6, 2013
Best post I have read on this site in some time. I am a resident of Alberta but have spoken with and my son has played against many Saskatchewan teams over the years. You have a great league stop comparing against the larger population centers and develop your players. You are doing a great job, the numbers support it.

There is no stopping on how few teams one may want to be competitive. Look at BC, there are only 4 teams that can likely make it out of that province this year. Same 4 teams as last year and likely the same 4 teams next year. Due population differences where would you stop in order to compete against the BWC, NSWC, POE & OHA's of this world. Sure some community based teams give them a run occasionally but year in and out year those teams are considered favorites. I believe BC needs to look more at what Sask is doing right more than Sask needs to look outside its province.

Develop the kids and have some fun doing it.

Hello Everyone, I am excited that hockey is back and by the looks of the posts so are the rest of you.

I think we need to stop comparing Sask Bantam AA to other provinces Bantam AAA, in my mind it's pointless to compare things that are nothing alike. The other provinces have more people which means more players & coaches to choose from, they also have more money and better facilities. If you want that for your kid then send them to Notre Dame.

The Sask Bantam AA league brings our top players into one league, just not as elite as other provinces. If we were to eliminate teams to make it more competitive we would then have players travelling 2hr+ just to get to practices and that's just not feasible, especially so that 1 team can be more competitive at westerns.

If we could do one thing better in Sask hockey we need to have a better framework below the Bantam AA's. In the other provinces if you don't make the AAA's you still have access to competitive hockey & good coaching at the AA level. With Sask you have no other option than house league hockey. SHA should create some Bantam A leagues, that would put the kids that are still serious about hockey together so they can continue to develop. The kids that don’t' take it serious but still have fun playing can play at the house level.

My last comment is directed at those who talk down other sports, I think you’re missing the point. I love hockey and always will, I have never played a day of soccer in my life, but not everyone can play hockey. I don't care if you play hockey, football, soccer or table tennis.....the point is to get off your butt and do something!

Take Care,
DW

OldCub

Jan 9, 2011
DirtyWinger29, are you saying there are kids in your area who want to play hockey but are not able to play as they don't have a level that matches their skill level?

DirtyWinger29

Dec 6, 2012
What I am saying is that there are kids who want to play better hockey that get stuck playing house league. In Saskatchewan it is tough to make a Bantam AA team, especially as a 1st year or some kids don’t play b/c of travel or cost issues. So I'm saying instead of having a whole bunch of these house leagues, let’s get organized and have the better players who don’t make AA, playing together and provide them an opportunity to continue to develop. There would still be house league for the kids that wanna just have fun and not be so serious. In the end the same amount of kids would be playing but all at their respective levels and I think this would make our Bantam AA league stronger as it would better prepare players to make the jump the next year. If you look at the Sask Midget model, after the AAA's there are 3 AA midget leagues (Centre 4, S'toon and South Sask), for te kids to continue to develop if they don't make the top level. But at the bantam age, when they're younger & could see more development we have nothing other than house.

nah68

Sep 13, 2012
Don't understand what the big deal is about number of kids in the bantam draft represented by provinces? Snipe wants to try a under play Sasks abilities in the hockey world, but the reality is the real game begins in midget, my opinion is the bantam draft is a waste of time. Instead of putting 14year olds under the gun, trying to make impressions, let them have fun and play. If you want more, there's ND.

SNIPE

Wheaties #1
Mar 12, 2013
Don't understand what the big deal is about number of kids in the bantam draft represented by provinces? Snipe wants to try a under play Sasks abilities in the hockey world, but the reality is the real game begins in midget, my opinion is the bantam draft is a waste of time. Instead of putting 14year olds under the gun, trying to make impressions, let them have fun and play. If you want more, there's ND.

Ok hang on, I'm not trying to under play anything. I was looking at Sask from the outside in. You guys have enlightened me as to the situation in Sask in regards to travel. Sask has a unique challenge that other provinces don't have and you guys are doing the best you can. I have change my opinion on the matter.

SKHKY99

Jan 23, 2013
Hey Guys, went to a exhibition game with ND and White City, I'm from Manitoba and I gotta tell you things have to change in Sask. You guys can talk about development all you want but wow, the Manitoba AAA teams would absolutely destroy the Sask teams. Also the Manitoba AAA teams are not the best in the country. You may be developing more players but your not developing your top elite players.

Wasnt.at the game Snipe but I know both sides didnt dress any of there top players as it was 1st exhibition and still had large rosters. They were trying to make some decisions on cuts.

Superbowlfishca

Aug 20, 2012
SBAAHL Exhibition Action - Scores

Weyburn 0 Regina Monachs 1
Weyburn 3 Regina Foxes 3
Weyburn 4 Estevan 2 Very little to choose from again in this game so based on all scores from exhibition games in the south it shapes up to be an extremely competitive league this year. Have not heard of any games yorkton has had but based on what I have seen there is no team that will outmatch any other team this year in the south.

Let the real games begin.

IDC

Dec 22, 2009
What I am saying is that there are kids who want to play better hockey that get stuck playing house league. In Saskatchewan it is tough to make a Bantam AA team, especially as a 1st year or some kids don’t play b/c of travel or cost issues. So I'm saying instead of having a whole bunch of these house leagues, let’s get organized and have the better players who don’t make AA, playing together and provide them an opportunity to continue to develop. There would still be house league for the kids that wanna just have fun and not be so serious. In the end the same amount of kids would be playing but all at their respective levels and I think this would make our Bantam AA league stronger as it would better prepare players to make the jump the next year. If you look at the Sask Midget model, after the AAA's there are 3 AA midget leagues (Centre 4, S'toon and South Sask), for te kids to continue to develop if they don't make the top level. But at the bantam age, when they're younger & could see more development we have nothing other than house.

There is, of course, three years of midget.
Starting up Bantam A leagues across Saskatchewan would kill house league teams and minor hockey associations in the rural areas. We can barely dress teams as it is, let alone having the "bubble" kids being able to leave to go play A hockey somewhere.

hockeyviewer

May 26, 2013
I believe that the main trouble in Saskatchewan is our small population spread out over a very large area which makes tiering impossible in many areas. There can be a huge dofference on skill levels on teams. It takes exceptional coaching to develope all kids to there potential. Some talented kids in lower age groups do not have a chance to play against tougher competition until peewee AA. Some get bored some lower talent level kids who maybe don't get to play the puck as much when better players are on team. This hurts development of all. Everyone is looking for an easy solution to this but I don't think there is one.

IDC

Dec 22, 2009
I believe that the main trouble in Saskatchewan is our small population spread out over a very large area which makes tiering impossible in many areas. There can be a huge dofference on skill levels on teams. It takes exceptional coaching to develope all kids to there potential. Some talented kids in lower age groups do not have a chance to play against tougher competition until peewee AA. Some get bored some lower talent level kids who maybe don't get to play the puck as much when better players are on team. This hurts development of all. Everyone is looking for an easy solution to this but I don't think there is one.

I agree. With the new checking age, even Peewee AA is different.

radioface

Sep 27, 2013
So the rosters were posted today to Western Elite's website for the Top 40 game in Warman on Sunday.

99 Game Blue
#8 Erik Gardiner LF #9 Jake Leschyshyn LC #10 Logan Foster RW
#11 Chad Petruic LF #12 Riley Sawchuk RC #14 Regan Poncelet RF
#15 Kris Bzdel LW #16 Mathew Kesslering RC #17 Kane Altwasser RW
#18 Mathew Chekay LW #19 Colby Holloway F #20 Isaac Sandomirsky LW

#2 Wyatt Ardnt LD #3 Donovan Beatty RD
#4 Tyler Stratechuk LD #5 Tylor Ludwar RD
#6 Ty Prefontaine LD #7 Carson Sass D
#30 Cody Dubas RD

#1 Dallon Tuchsherer G #30 Caleb Lumbardi G

99 Game Black
#8 Eamon Milligan LF #9 Brody Vogel RC #10 Connor Tuffs RF
#11 Tanner Manz LF #12 Tristian Deroose LC #14 Tyson Manz RF
#15 Carson Welke LW #16Jaden Shewchuk LC #17 Chance Adrian LW
#18 McKenzie Welke LW #19 Dawson Holt RC #20 Luke McLeod LF

#2 Keegan Randall D #3 Brayden Pachal RD
#4 Austin Johnston D #5 Jake Hobson RD
#6 Jake Kustra LD #7 Landon Markovich RD

#1 Hunter Arps G #30 Zach Johnson G

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I gotta ask about a few players. I'm not sure if they any are too old (let me know if any are). Gotta think a few of them were on the bubble.
--- Tylo Anderson (West Central), Kyle Bosch (West Central), Ryder Kissick (West Central), Dino Antoniadis (Stn Maniacs), Liam McMaster (Stn Generals), Tye Morin (Stn Bandits), Colby Brandt (Regina), Eliliot Grande-Sherbert (Regina), Dylan McCabe (Regina), Matt Lenz (Regina), Jeremy Bisson (Moose Jaw), Jarrett Gerlach (Swift Current), Joshua Sundquist (Swift Current), Dalton Dosch (Weyburn).

nah68

Sep 13, 2012
Picking process
Really baffled as to how this team was picked, as far as I can see it seems like western elite and western prospect camp made most of those decisions. Pretty sad if that's the case. I searched the stats on players and goalies and am quite amazed on how some kids were overlooked....Top goalies last year Meger and Close were backed up by who? And did these backups make that much of a impression against the teams they faced? Or did they make more of a impression at the prospect camp?

radioface

Sep 27, 2013
Picking process
Really baffled as to how this team was picked, as far as I can see it seems like western elite and western prospect camp made most of those decisions. Pretty sad if that's the case. I searched the stats on players and goalies and am quite amazed on how some kids were overlooked....Top goalies last year Meger and Close were backed up by who? And did these backups make that much of a impression against the teams they faced? Or did they make more of a impression at the prospect camp?
I completely agree with this. I guess if you don't make AA in your first year of bantam then there's no reason to even try because scouts have their minds made up already. I have a friend whose son was born in October of 2000. So he's only 12 right now. Whether he'll make it to junior or not is determined before he's 13 years old. Yikes.

Hockeynoitall

Feb 14, 2013
SJHL 99 Showcase

Travelled to Warman to catch the SJHL 99 Prospects game and there were no surprises at all from what I saw. There was no real one player that stood out but there was some kids that had their moments. Some of the players that looked good playing forward were Holt, Leschyshyn, Foster, Tuffs, Adrien. Defence were Kustra, Hobson, Pachal, Prefontaine and Sass. There were a few of the players that were expected to make a strong showing but did not. Tuchscherer and Arps were by far the best two goalies amongst the four there. The program that was available had the rosters of the two teams but had the heights and weights listed for the players that were from over a year ago. All in all it was a good showing of what the SJHL labels as the top 40, 1999 born players in the province. Mind you there are always some kids that get missed out for whatever reason and there was some kids in attendance that probably should of not been there. But for a first time event is was OK. Was disappointed in the SJHL presentation as it was only a 5 minute introduction about the league and nothing was really said about the NCAA college route and the pros and cons of the NCAA or WHL route. As I am sure a lot of the parents would of had some questions pertaining to both. But you can reassure there will be some growing pains with this as there is with something new. All in all the kids put on a great game and hats off to them.:handclap:

Hockeynoitall

Feb 14, 2013
So the rosters were posted today to Western Elite's website for the Top 40 game in Warman on Sunday.

99 Game Blue
#8 Erik Gardiner LF #9 Jake Leschyshyn LC #10 Logan Foster RW
#11 Chad Petruic LF #12 Riley Sawchuk RC #14 Regan Poncelet RF
#15 Kris Bzdel LW #16 Mathew Kesslering RC #17 Kane Altwasser RW
#18 Mathew Chekay LW #19 Colby Holloway F #20 Isaac Sandomirsky LW

#2 Wyatt Ardnt LD #3 Donovan Beatty RD
#4 Tyler Stratechuk LD #5 Tylor Ludwar RD
#6 Ty Prefontaine LD #7 Carson Sass D
#30 Cody Dubas RD

#1 Dallon Tuchsherer G #30 Caleb Lumbardi G

99 Game Black
#8 Eamon Milligan LF #9 Brody Vogel RC #10 Connor Tuffs RF
#11 Tanner Manz LF #12 Tristian Deroose LC #14 Tyson Manz RF
#15 Carson Welke LW #16Jaden Shewchuk LC #17 Chance Adrian LW
#18 McKenzie Welke LW #19 Dawson Holt RC #20 Luke McLeod LF

#2 Keegan Randall D #3 Brayden Pachal RD
#4 Austin Johnston D #5 Jake Hobson RD
#6 Jake Kustra LD #7 Landon Markovich RD

#1 Hunter Arps G #30 Zach Johnson G

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I gotta ask about a few players. I'm not sure if they any are too old (let me know if any are). Gotta think a few of them were on the bubble.
--- Tylo Anderson (West Central), Kyle Bosch (West Central), Ryder Kissick (West Central), Dino Antoniadis (Stn Maniacs), Liam McMaster (Stn Generals), Tye Morin (Stn Bandits), Colby Brandt (Regina), Eliliot Grande-Sherbert (Regina), Dylan McCabe (Regina), Matt Lenz (Regina), Jeremy Bisson (Moose Jaw), Jarrett Gerlach (Swift Current), Joshua Sundquist (Swift Current), Dalton Dosch (Weyburn).

Some of the kids on this list are midget now.

Superbowlfishca

Aug 20, 2012
Sjhl SHowcase Event

I was there also. Agree with you assesement!

As I mentioned in a previous post I thought this event might be somewhat of a political mine field for the SJHL in relation to how the kids were picked for this event. In talking to some of the SJHL coaches I was told that each team decided (in consultation with some of their scouts) who they wanted to invite. A consensus list was put together and then each team phoned to invite the players they wished to attend. One coach indicated that being this was the first event the process was not as formalized as it might have been, but going forward they were going to put a more formalized process in place for the next event.

That being said the game was a great display of the talent Saskatchewan has at the Bantam level. I was at all of the top AAA spring tournaments this year. This game almost matched up to the level of play I watched all spring. I say almost, because these teams would have competed very well but would not have won any of the top tournaments.

Also it would be my opinion that 25-30 of these kids will make the Sask First Top 40 roster in the 1999 age group. We will see but the group they had at this showcase is a great representation of the entire 1999 age group in the province.

As for the comment that if your child is not picked as a 2000 aged kid for a Bantam AA team it means they are kind of on the outs going forward. I think we all put too much importance on the bantam draft. I agree the kids are too young and many are at different maturity levels and physical development stages. As has been mentioned in previous posts these things start to even out when kids get into midget ages or even junior ages. So really in the big picture of things all kids will forge their own path and I think we all know that eventually the cream rises to the top.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->