Proposal: Saros to Toronto

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
I do not think that Nashville and Toronto would make a trade for Saros. He will get traded, if he gets traded, to be a starter. Some one mentioned Schneider before and I think he is a good comparable as a trade. He went to the Devils to be a starter. With Lou with the Islanders, perhaps, they would make good partners?

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
I do not think that Nashville and Toronto would make a trade for Saros. He will get traded, if he gets traded, to be a starter. Some one mentioned Schneider before and I think he is a good comparable as a trade. He went to the Devils to be a starter. With Lou with the Islanders, perhaps, they would make good partners?
Saros is not getting traded. The only way Poile would remotely think about it would be a massive overpayment. Everybody knows when it comes to value it's Nylander>>>>>>saros. But in all honesty that's probably what kind of overpayment it would take. Saros is way more valuable to Nashville than probably any other team. He's being groomed to be our future goalie for the last 2 years. He's probably a year away from being our starter and rinne being our back up. Yes saros and rinne are that good of friends that I could see rinne taking back up role and staying in Nashville. Some would say rinne looks at saros as his little brother. Don't laugh or get upset when you see an outrageous offer for saros from preds fans because in all honesty that's probably what it would take. Saros isn't getting moved for 3rd or 4th liners or picks. It would have to blow poile out of the water.

Reactions: Eyeseeing

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
First off, why do the Preds make this move considering Rinne is near his end and Saros is pretty easily a future starter and second, why do the Leafs need a starter? Andersen is a great goalie despite what some HF trolls may think.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Saros is not getting traded. The only way Poile would remotely think about it would be a massive overpayment. Everybody knows when it comes to value it's Nylander>>>>>>saros. But in all honesty that's probably what kind of overpayment it would take. Saros is way more valuable to Nashville than probably any other team. He's being groomed to be our future goalie for the last 2 years. He's probably a year away from being our starter and rinne being our back up. Yes saros and rinne are that good of friends that I could see rinne taking back up role and staying in Nashville. Some would say rinne looks at saros as his little brother. Don't laugh or get upset when you see an outrageous offer for saros from preds fans because in all honesty that's probably what it would take. Saros isn't getting moved for 3rd or 4th liners or picks. It would have to blow poile out of the water.
Great, but Nylander is not an Islanders.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
So he's got the most trade value of all time in terms of goalies? because goalies don't have high trade value, I don't get why but that's been proven over and over

The value is obviously not Nylander or close, which is, again, obviously a response designed to end a discussion the Preds don't have to engage in. However, no, it has absolutely not been proven that goalies don't have "high" trade value - that's a myth that people just keep repeating among themselves. Guys like Lehner (to BUF), or Jones, or even Andersen have all proven to have reasonably high trade value despite limited starting goalie resumes. Again, obviously not Nylander, which was said for obvious reasons, but the trope of goalies having low value is just so overused. One can find just as many cases, relatively speaking, of bargains for non-elite goalies as for non-elite skaters.

Reactions: Saekk

GoldOnGold

Mar 27, 2016
Nashville, Tennessee
I don't really see why either team would do this. Toronto, who already has a great goalie in Andersen, could get a serviceable backup in FA or for a much smaller price than the one Saros would go for. And Nashville sees Saros as the successor to Rinne. Trading him away would seriously hurt the Preds' long-term competitiveness.

Reactions: Vipers31

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
As with the saros to Calgary thread, Nashville has no need or want to trade saros. Rinne is 35 and on the last year of his contract. Due to extensions coming for fiala and josi, I don't forsee us keeping rinne unless he is willing to take a huge paycut. Saros is being primed to replace rinne in the next year or two. We would be absolutely crazy to trade him.

The idea of nylander for saros is ridiculous... But so if the idea of us trading what we view as our future starter for anything other than a completely ridiculous overpayment. If saros worth nylander in a vacuum? No. Does Nashville want to trade saros? No. Why would we? Great 3 year contract just signed. Looks to be the real deal. Puts up great numbers. Even if we kept him as just a backup, it's hard to get that quality for cheaper. Rinne is getting older and needs more time off.

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
Saros is NOT on the market. RInne has a maximum lifespan of two or three more seasons as a starter.

Preds have a succession plan with Saros taking more starts until he is the starter in the next 2-3 years.(sooner if Rinne falters)

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
rotflmao.gif

Saros will not be traded for anything you would ever realistically consider offering. Unless what you offer is the location of the Fountain of Youth.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Lmao no. I'm not a Toronto fan and I like Saros a lot, but that's not even a starting point for Nylander.
This isn't the Preds trying to acquire Nylander. This is the Leafs trying to acquire Saros.

There's a difference between "what we think we can sell this asset for" and "what it would take to convince us to sell this asset". Saros is in the latter category, and to try to turn around and act like this discussion relates to the former category is disingenuous at best.

Reactions: AdmiralsFan24

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
This isn't the Preds trying to acquire Nylander. This is the Leafs trying to acquire Saros.

There's a difference between "what we think we can sell this asset for" and "what it would take to convince us to sell this asset". Saros is in the latter category, and to try to turn around and act like this discussion relates to the former category is disingenuous at best.
And there’s a difference between fantasy and reality.

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
And there’s a difference between fantasy and reality.
You're right.... Nashville trading their future starting goalie for anything less than overpayment is a fantasy ;) saros isn't untouchable because yea poile would take saros for a top player but he isn't trading him for a pick, prospect or some 3 or 4 liner

ViktorBaeArvidsson

Greenville Swamp Rabbits fan lol
Feb 18, 2017
The Bible Belt of South Carolina
This is so stupid, you think Saros is worth a backup at best (maybe a possible starter who knows still not as high as potential as Saros) and a possible 3rd liner, AND YOU GUYS HAVE FREAKING ANDERSEN WHY THE HECKAROONIE DO YOU NEED SAROS??? LAST TIME I CHECKED ANDERSEN ISNT 35 WITH AN EXPIRING DEAL! Good God...

Reactions: Monument

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island

Disingenuousity and all other semantics and hypotheticals aside, Saros isn't getting you Nylander. I understand that Nashville isn't looking to deal Saros and I've never made any mentioning of them trying to do so, but that response is silly and is akin to a "let me prop up my asset as more valuable so I can feel better" approach.

It's a typical HF response and it holds no water in real life. Look at the returns for Schneider and Talbot, who were far more proven goaltenders and got far less in return in deals than Nylander. Which is fact, not opinion or conjecture. Saros might have potential to be as good or better, but that remains to be seen, so even with contract favoring Saros, the others were far more advanced, proven and reliable.

The bottom line is that if you want a player like Nylander, you better be ready to pony up and Saros isn't even a starting point for a team with a veteran goaltender in his prime years, so it's a non-point and there's really no discussion to be had.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Bottom line: Nashville needs Saros much more than Toronto does. So Saros has much greater value to Nashville than he does to Toronto. So a trade is impossible.

Reactions: Vipers31

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Why OP - why make a useless thread about Saros who we don't need and the Preds have no inclination to move whatsoever with Rinne out the door in a couple of years?

Sometimes I wonder if these posters are really Leaf fans, or fake accounts from other fanbases just to stir **** up and contribute to the anti-Leaf bias on HFB.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Disingenuousity and all other semantics and hypotheticals aside, Saros isn't getting you Nylander. I understand that Nashville isn't looking to deal Saros and I've never made any mentioning of them trying to do so, but that response is silly and is akin to a "let me prop up my asset as more valuable so I can feel better" approach.

It's a typical HF response and it holds no water in real life. Look at the returns for Schneider and Talbot, who were far more proven goaltenders and got far less in return in deals than Nylander. Which is fact, not opinion or conjecture. Saros might have potential to be as good or better, but that remains to be seen, so even with contract favoring Saros, the others were far more advanced, proven and reliable.

The bottom line is that if you want a player like Nylander, you better be ready to pony up and Saros isn't even a starting point for a team with a veteran goaltender in his prime years, so it's a non-point and there's really no discussion to be had.

Schneider and Talbot were also surplus to requirements, and were stuck behind goalies (Luongo and Hank) who at the time, were locked in to their positions firmyl as the teams #1. IIRC, they were also both RFA's when dealt.

No one thinks Saros is worth Nylander. No one thinks the Leafs would make that deal. But by trading Saros, the preds are gambling away their window on a replacement that may not fit their system as well as Saros does, who does not know the teams players and their tendencies like he does, and doesnt have a great relationship with their current #1. In order to get the Preds, who are in the middle of a contending window, with a goalie who looked a little shaky in the playoffs last year, to gamble on bringing in another backup/potential starter, just doesnt make sense. If you want them to do it, its not going to be cheap, and it will cost a piece that will have to make up for everything i listed above. That's all that's being said.

PerdFan

Oct 10, 2010

And you have completely either missed the point or choose to ignore it. Nashville fans are aware that Saros isn’t worth Nylander and have said it over and over. But trades don’t happen in a vacuum do they? It would take an overpayment in the value level of Nylander for the Preds to give up Saros because of where he’s at in his development, Rinne’s status, and Saros’s team friendly contract. Period. It’s not that hard to understand.
We know NSH is not getting Nylander for Saros and you need to know that TOR isn’t getting Saros for anything less.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad