Proposal: Saros to Toronto

BeLeafing

Jun 5, 2017
Not even close. Would have to be a heavy overpayment to get Nashville to talk (especially with his new contract). You'd have teams lining up outside the building. He's going to be that good.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
1. Goalie value are hard to judge more so for young goalies in the league/prospects, in this case bad for NSH
2. Toronto has a starting goalie in his prime(4th in Vezina voting this past year)
3. Although not as good as Saros, Toronto has a decent goalie prospect(Woll) and 3 potential backups(Sparks,Pickard and McElhinney)

The last thing Toronto needs is a goalie, long time coming. Also no reason for NSH to move a good asset unless they have to.

Reactions: DominikBokkFan

The Best Leafs Ever

Feb 28, 2017
I was just wondering what would it take to get him, not to dish at NSH or anything. Yes we do have Woll and I believe he would be good but he is not as ready as Saros is. Also if NSH likes they can switch Sparks with Woll who is very comparable to Thatcher Demko.

Last but not the least I don’t ever have faith in Andersen, so I wouldn’t mind if we decide to move on from him.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
And why is Nashville sticking with a soon to be 36 year old goalie over their promising young one?

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
I was just wondering what would it take to get him, not to dish at NSH or anything. Yes we do have Woll and I believe he would be good but he is not as ready as Saros is. Also if NSH likes they can switch Sparks with Woll who is very comparable to Thatcher Demko.

Last but not the least I don’t ever have faith in Andersen, so I wouldn’t mind if we decide to move on from him.

If you move on from Andersen, please give him to the Flames thanks.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

Rinne doesn’t have much time left and Saros is heir apparent there. They see him as their next star starter and he’s been lights out anytime he’s been called upon.

You’d need to offer quite a badly tilted deal in their favour. A piece that would hurt you really badly. As in not Grundstrom and whatever spare goalies you have lying around.

Comparable to Demko? Uhhh. What? He’s 25 and still an AHLer. That’s like saying Hutchinson is comparable to Matt Murray.

The Best Leafs Ever

Feb 28, 2017
Rinne doesn’t have much time left and Saros is heir apparent there. They see him as their next star starter and he’s been lights out anytime he’s been called upon.

You’d need to offer quite a badly tilted deal in their favour. A piece that would hurt you really badly. As in not Grundstrom and whatever spare goalies you have lying around.

Well this clears it up.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Try Nylander.
When is the last time any goalie got a return of a 60 point 22-year-old? The goalie market has collapsed. The biggest return a goalie has gotten in recent years is Cory Schneider who was a lot more proven than Saros.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
When is the last time any goalie got a return of a 60 point 22-year-old? The goalie market has collapsed. The biggest return a goalie has gotten in recent years is Cory Schneider who was a lot more proven than Saros.

[MOD]

Yes Nylander is a crazy ask but Saros shouldn’t be available for less than ‘pry him out of our cold dead hands’ prices. I sure wouldn’t be moving him if my starter was 36 years old.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Best Leafs Ever

Feb 28, 2017

Yes absolutely, one of the main reasons for not including 1st rd pick was also because of the recent value in goalies have been absolutely abysmal. Although I have to admit I underestimated the value he holds for NSH.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
would this be enough for Saros?

To NSH
Grundstrom, Sparks

To TOR
Saros

No it wouldn't be enough and it's not particularly close.

A lot more proven? He had 50 more games in the NHL and was 3 years older. That's hardly a lot more proven.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Is there a manual that comes when you get 100 posts on the Leafs board or something? Lowball offer for a player, get rebuffed, then bash the player? What chapter is that in?

Yes Nylander is a crazy ask but Saros shouldn’t be available for less than ‘pry him out of our cold dead hands’ prices. I sure wouldn’t be moving him if my starter was 36 years old.
I already said the offer was ridiculous ask. Maybe you shouldn't generalize fanbases. What comes with being an Oilers fan, being bitter about Leafs coverage?

I also seriously don't see where I bashed him. Saying he isn't worth Nylander or that goalie's don't get very much isn't directly bashing that player.
A lot more proven? He had 50 more games in the NHL and was 3 years older. That's hardly a lot more proven.
Well, I mean, 50 games doesn't sound like a lot, until you realize that would more than double what Saros has already played.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
Well, I mean, 50 games doesn't sound like a lot, until you realize that would more than double what Saros has already played.

Saros has played 48 games in the league over two seasons by the time he turned 23. Schneider didn't crack the NHL permanently until he was 24 and had 98 total games in the NHL when he was traded at age 27. 98 games spread out over 3 full seasons and 2 partial seasons from age 22-27 vs 48 games spread over 2 full seasons and 1 partial season for a 21-23 year old. It's really not that big of a difference.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
first, why in the world does Toronto need a goalie when they have Andersen who can eat up 60+ games?

Second, there are plenty of teams in need of a goalie who would top that offer.

Third, Saros is Nashville's future starter. It'd take a big overpayment. Rinne is 35.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018

I think he probably made that offer facetiously, but in truth it would probably be what it would take. Realistically Nashville won't trade Saros. He's too important. He's incredibly cheap insurance on their cup hopes. For what he provides that team in terms of being able to stay competitive in the event that Rinne needs time or even gets injured is invaluable. I guarantee you, Nashville would feel like they still had a team to reckon with if Rinne got put on the IR in April. I doubt they'd think that way with Sparks or practically any other backup goalie that has a cheap cap hit. Saros would never get Nylander, but Saros probably provides = impact to Nylander for that team's cup hopes just based on insuring Rinne.

Reactions: RickP

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad