Proposal: Saros to Toronto

Stuzchuk

Mar 25, 2009
Eastern Canada
Poile & Rinne said that he'll be seeing more start next year (in other words it's his time), so with that being said unless it's a gross overpayment (Andersen+1st) NAS will hold on to Saros

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Schneider and Talbot were also surplus to requirements, and were stuck behind goalies (Luongo and Hank) who at the time, were locked in to their positions firmyl as the teams #1. IIRC, they were also both RFA's when dealt.

No one thinks Saros is worth Nylander. No one thinks the Leafs would make that deal. But by trading Saros, the preds are gambling away their window on a replacement that may not fit their system as well as Saros does, who does not know the teams players and their tendencies like he does, and doesnt have a great relationship with their current #1. In order to get the Preds, who are in the middle of a contending window, with a goalie who looked a little shaky in the playoffs last year, to gamble on bringing in another backup/potential starter, just doesnt make sense. If you want them to do it, its not going to be cheap, and it will cost a piece that will have to make up for everything i listed above. That's all that's being said.

Might be some confusion here as I was responding to @Viqsi who was responding to my response to @Deen.

I totally understand Nashville's situation and I've actually had to explain this approach several times on here. My point is the "it will take a massive overpayment to acquire ___" is a typical response that posters use on here that really doesn't hold any water in real life with some of the players that have filled in the blank.

I have no problems with fans of a team saying they don't want to deal said player or that the organization probably wouldn't due do to depth, circumstances, etc. none of that is the issue at hand. I don't like to speak in absolutes but I'll leave it at this...

I have a VERY HARD TIME seeing the following two things...

1. Nashville dealing Saros anytime soon.
2. Nylander being dealt for Saros or a similar goaltender/skater.

Hopefully that clears everything up.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
And you have completely either missed the point or choose to ignore it. Nashville fans are aware that Saros isn’t worth Nylander and have said it over and over. But trades don’t happen in a vacuum do they? It would take an overpayment in the value level of Nylander for the Preds to give up Saros because of where he’s at in his development, Rinne’s status, and Saros’s team friendly contract. Period. It’s not that hard to understand.
We know NSH is not getting Nylander for Saros and you need to know that TOR isn’t getting Saros for anything less.

No, I haven't missed the point. You're either missing or choosing to ignore mine.

I've already stated multiple times that I understand the situation, however, you're right, trades don't happen in a vacuum and hypothetical fan scenarios don't either.

If you don't want to see that, it's not my problem and this discussion is over.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
No, I haven't missed the point. You're either missing or choosing to ignore mine.

I've already stated multiple times that I understand the situation, however, you're right, trades don't happen in a vacuum and hypothetical fan scenarios don't either.

If you don't want to see that, it's not my problem and this discussion is over.

Would it be better if preds fans just said, "saros will not be traded. He is a key part of our near future. Please close the thread".

Reactions: Monument

GoodbyeLuongo

Jun 8, 2012
Seattle
I was just wondering what would it take to get him, not to dish at NSH or anything. Yes we do have Woll and I believe he would be good but he is not as ready as Saros is. Also if NSH likes they can switch Sparks with Woll who is very comparable to Thatcher Demko.

Last but not the least I don’t ever have faith in Andersen, so I wouldn’t mind if we decide to move on from him.

I don’t even even know who this Woll guy is but to suggest he’s even comparable to Demko who’s widely regarded as one of the top goalie prospects in the league is something,

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Disingenuousity and all other semantics and hypotheticals aside, Saros isn't getting you Nylander.
The rest of your post is irrelevant because you have missed the essential point. This has nothing to do with Nylander to Nashville. Not one damn thing. That is not the objective. It is strictly about Saros to Toronto, and what would be required to make that happen. Since Nashville will not give up Saros for anything even remotely reasonable, the only possibility is something that's completely unreasonable. Whether or not you find it bothersome or offensive is irrelevant, because he's not for sale unless you offer something completely unreasonable. Whatever other examples of goaltender trading you want to bring up are also irrelevant, because he's not for sale unless you offer something completely unreasonable. Whatever vacuum value one might presume he has is additionally completely irrelevant, because he's not for sale unless you offer something completely unreasonable. That is the alpha and omega of the discussion.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
If NSH decides to stick with Rinne would this be enough for Saros?

To NSH
Grundstrom, Sparks

To TOR
Saros
Is there anyone else in Nashville’s goalie pipeline that is around 22 that could be rinnes successor? Given the extension saros signed, he’d be a cheap option to hands the reigns to and save cap space.

If no one else is close to being ready why would Nash give him up? Rinne is at the end of his mid 30’s. He’s not 30 where you have several more years.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
1. It's not at all a need for Toronto and they don't have prospects like Grundstrom in the system
2. It's not even close to enough value for Nashville to consider

No go.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
I was just wondering what would it take to get him, not to dish at NSH or anything. Yes we do have Woll and I believe he would be good but he is not as ready as Saros is. Also if NSH likes they can switch Sparks with Woll who is very comparable to Thatcher Demko.

Last but not the least I don’t ever have faith in Andersen, so I wouldn’t mind if we decide to move on from him.

Them both playing for USA at the juniors does not make them comparable. Demko is head and shoulders above Woll even considering the age gap

GoodbyeLuongo

Jun 8, 2012
Seattle
Them both playing for USA at the juniors does not make them comparable. Demko is head and shoulders above Woll even considering the age gap

Exactly. Just look at their college numbers. Woll’s are solid and he may be an okay prospect. Demko’s were out of this world. He was brilliant in his lone NHL game too, despite what the numbers say. His defense literally stopped skating the final ten minutes, it was absolutely embarrassing

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
The rest of your post is irrelevant because you have missed the essential point. This has nothing to do with Nylander to Nashville. Not one damn thing. That is not the objective. It is strictly about Saros to Toronto, and what would be required to make that happen. Since Nashville will not give up Saros for anything even remotely reasonable, the only possibility is something that's completely unreasonable. Whether or not you find it bothersome or offensive is irrelevant, because he's not for sale unless you offer something completely unreasonable. Whatever other examples of goaltender trading you want to bring up are also irrelevant, because he's not for sale unless you offer something completely unreasonable. Whatever vacuum value one might presume he has is additionally completely irrelevant, because he's not for sale unless you offer something completely unreasonable. That is the alpha and omega of the discussion.

No, it's only irrelevant in your mind because of some petty superiority complex you carry when it comes to this.

He isn't for sale because this is a hypothetical discussion board, aka fantasy aka not reality. The reality of it is two things that I can't necessarily guarantee, but I'd bet good money on not happening...

1. Saros isn't being moved.
2. Saros isn't returning a Nylander or player type similar.

Now, if you want to get personal and point fingers as if you're the gospel, go right ahead. Doesn't bother me one bit, but don't act like what you say is final, when it's not, because regardless of what you, I or the next person says, it has no bearing on what happens in real life.

Thanks.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
No, it's only irrelevant in your mind because of some petty superiority complex you carry when it comes to this.

He isn't for sale because this is a hypothetical discussion board, aka fantasy aka not reality. The reality of it is two things that I can't necessarily guarantee, but I'd bet good money on not happening...

Now, if you want to get personal and point fingers as if you're the gospel, go right ahead. Doesn't bother me one bit, but don't act like what you say is final, when it's not, because regardless of what you, I or the next person says, it has no bearing on what happens in real life.

Thanks.
#1 is the response to the thread topic. #2 is a distraction; a strawman being used to attempt to bully Preds fans into backing off on #1. That's why it's not relevant.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
When was the last time a goalie that looked like he was on the right path to becoming a good starter, was traded right after signing a below market value contract, from a team with a 36 year old goalie. If you can find that scenario, you'll like get an idea of his value

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017

Thanks.
And <poof> this entire forum vanishes. :thumbu:

I think Preds fans might as well make a game of this... Saros with his new contract is going to be on the wishlist for fans of every team that remotely thinks they might want to go the trade route to get a new young goalie in house. I think we just keep throwing out the names of Gaudreaus and Nylanders now and see how long it takes the rest of y'all to get tired of asking. Turn it into a meme.

Gaudreau + Nylander + 2nd round pick. That's what Saros costs now. :cool:

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
And <poof> this entire forum vanishes. :thumbu:

I think Preds fans might as well make a game of this... Saros with his new contract is going to be on the wishlist for fans of every team that remotely thinks they might want to go the trade route to get a new young goalie in house. I think we just keep throwing out the names of Gaudreaus and Nylanders now and see how long it takes the rest of y'all to get tired of asking. Turn it into a meme.

Gaudreau + Nylander + 2nd round pick. That's what Saros costs now. :cool:
I could totally get behind this. :nod: If only "The price for Ryan Johansen is Jordan Eberle" had aged better... :D

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Saros might be one of the top young goalies available right ow. Think it's going to cost more than that to get him to Toronto.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Before last season I said I'd only be interested in trading Saros for Murray or Vasilevskiy, then Vasilevskiy broke out in a big way. Point still stands, if you're interested in Saros we value him similarly to other top young goalies around the league.

Mortiest Morty

Feb 6, 2017
Look at the returns for Schneider and Talbot, who were far more proven goaltenders and got far less in return in deals than Nylander. Which is fact, not opinion or conjecture.

Cam Talbot was about a week away from turning 28 years old and had 57 career NHL appearances when he was traded. He wasn't far more proven than anyone. Which is fact, not opinion or conjecture.

SoulDynasty

Jan 25, 2017
Ottawa
To keep going with this topic, the only way I see Saros to Toronto is if they trade Nylander or Marner somewhere else for a package, then use some high end pieces from that package plus a great backup to Nashville.

They might think about it then.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
#1 is the response to the thread topic. #2 is a distraction; a strawman being used to attempt to bully Preds fans into backing off on #1. That's why it's not relevant.

1. Cheers.
2. Distraction to a hypothetical situation that's not happening? What is this, The Outer Limits?

Time for this lovely little charade to end.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Cam Talbot was about a week away from turning 28 years old and had 57 career NHL appearances when he was traded. He wasn't far more proven than anyone. Which is fact, not opinion or conjecture.

He started for an extended period of time while Lundqvist was down with an injury after getting hit in the throat. He basically finished out the regular season for a team that ended up winning the presidents trophy due in part to his play and played more games than Saros at the time he was dealt.

There's two things that mentioning his age confirms...

1. Saros has more time to his career.
2. You're grasping at straws to dance around the original point.

But hey, let's call facts conjecture. Semantics is a fun little game played often on here.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Leafs need Grundstrom on an ELC more than they need Saros to be a backup/fight Andersen for the starting spot, Also Sparks has definetly earned the opportunity for an NHL spot.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Is there anyone else in Nashville’s goalie pipeline that is around 22 that could be rinnes successor? Given the extension saros signed, he’d be a cheap option to hands the reigns to and save cap space.

If no one else is close to being ready why would Nash give him up? Rinne is at the end of his mid 30’s. He’s not 30 where you have several more years.

Svoboda seems like he could possibly end up in he NHL but he doesn't have any ahl experience yet so idk. He's 23. I think he'll end up as saros' backup once rinne retires. We don't have anyone that could take over saros' immediate role in our pipeline right now

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad