Rumor: Saros to be made available if Preds become sellers?

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
This has Sabres written all over it.
The need is there, the assets to acquire are there, the team is heading in the right direction.

Reactions: Keke and Dirty Dog

Miro4Norris

Jan 24, 2021
Do it trade Saros to a contender I don't need another elite Finnish goalie's career be wasted with always mediocre Nashville

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Sens

2023 first likely around 8th-12th range in a stacked draft

Pick of one of our best goalie prospect Sogaard/Merilainen

Ridly Greig

- cap dumps
Zaitsev to make it work cap wise
Talbot as a replacement goalie UFA at years end

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Honestly it could make some sense. If the Predators finally recognize they aren't going to win with what they have now, it would be a good way to start a rebuild or at the very least a "retool on the fly"

Saros would return a pretty good haul, you've got Askarov who they probably view as the future starter... Grab a good backup that can split starts with Askarov in the short term.

Obviously you dont trade him unless you get a really great return. But if that great return does present itself and Nashville can be honest about its future, it would be a good move.

if it was to happen, the draft would bring a better return. I think it woukd be more likely in 24 when they see more of Askarov either deadline or draft.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
No chance. They'll move the rest of the roster before moving their star goaltender.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Doesn't make any sense for the Preds to do this as they can't really go into a "tear it down" rebuild--still too much time/money on Johansen and Duchene's contracts for them to be moveable, and while all of Josi, Forsberg, Ekholm, and McDonagh COULD be moved, there's too much retention (which Poile doesn't do) and taking back of bad contracts that would need to happen to make it practical since so many teams are so close to the cap ceiling.

They'll keep treading water and "trying to make the playoffs" until Johansen's contract is up in another two years, at the least.

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
Oilers fan here. I would love to trade Campbell, 2023 1st, and probably Borgault/ Shaeffer for Saros.
Campbell will probably cost a 1st just to move if not more a 5 million back up goalie for 4 more years. Whew I don’t know if I take that package taking saros out of the deal

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
In the summer I wanted to do Nylander for Saaros

Now Nylander has stepped his game up a tier and our offense would take a ugly hit

plus we got 6.5M on two decent goalies

Saaros in my opinion is a top 5 goalie and a core level piece

A guy who if the leafs had could beat Vasilvesky or Shesterkin in a game 7

id still offer 2023 1st + Knies + Murray + 2024 1st for Saaros +

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
Kypreos is a hack! There’s zero reason to move Saros while he’s on a good contract. You move him when Askarov makes him
expendable which isn’t happening yet.

Reactions: SouthNash

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Land of Nod in the East of Eden
Probably just another member of the media desperately trying to find a "mighty Leaf"angle for a story. Nashville is the epitome of mediocrity. They are mix of old talent, decent youngsters and a couple AAAA players. Get them a good coach and a little more toughness in back, they would do ok.

Even so, you do not trade Saros, unless you want to rebuild. I just do not see the Preds at that stage. Besides, I cannot recall Poile ever doing one-expansion or not.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
This according to Nick Kypreos

"Many believe Saros will be available when the Predators finally slip out of playoff contention in two or three weeks. Both are 27 years old and locked into extended contracts with very reasonable $5-million (U.S.) cap hits."

:huh:
That's going to be big. Not long ago Saros mentioned in same sentence as Vezina. Still young and signed. Leafs need a scorer and Defenseman also. That's too big, can't see Leafs biting.

Leafs may hang tight this season. Boston good, Carolina. They meet Tampa first round. Odds they getting out of east are virtually nil. Prices are high this deadline. Leafs may sacrifice this coming playoffs keep their picks and Knies instead.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Edit

Doesn't make any sense for the Preds to do this as they can't really go into a "tear it down" rebuild--still too much time/money on Johansen and Duchene's contracts for them to be moveable, and while all of Josi, Forsberg, Ekholm, and McDonagh COULD be moved, there's too much retention (which Poile doesn't do) and taking back of bad contracts that would need to happen to make it practical since so many teams are so close to the cap ceiling.

They'll keep treading water and "trying to make the playoffs" until Johansen's contract is up in another two years, at the least.

& what trade assets will they then have?

If that’s the plan Nashville won’t do anything for the next 10 years.

Saros has 2.5 years left at 5M, they’d be crazy if they didn’t trade him during the next 12 months or so.
You can’t lose his trade value just to have a shot at the playoffs.
Which will be just more difficult moving forward

Reactions: GeauxPreds1

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad