Sarnia Sting 2019 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maddangler

Nov 25, 2018
There are two players not getting talked about, that I believe could legitimately compete for roster spots - forward, Cole Craft and D-man, Justin Nolet - both 2001-born players selected in the 2017 OHL draft. No idea if either still wish to pursue the OHL-route, but am hopeful both are in training camp.

I definitely thought Reddick and Craft played well together at last years camp. I'd love to see them both back as 18yr olds if they're still interested.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
There are two players not getting talked about, that I believe could legitimately compete for roster spots - forward, Cole Craft and D-man, Justin Nolet - both 2001-born players selected in the 2017 OHL draft. No idea if either still wish to pursue the OHL-route, but am hopeful both are in training camp.
Agreed. Watched a few of Nolet's games this yr and he definitely has the offensive skills to play in the OHL. Not the best defensive guy. Craft was a guy i was very hopeful for hopefully he is having a big summer.

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
I was always a fan of Reddick. I heard he signed else where for this season in the OJHL....Collingwood perhaps?

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
Looks like Perreault got cut, perfetti and Byfield were locks to make the team, foudy and cuyyle beat him out of a spot.

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
Crazy Perreault gets cut for Hlinka tournament. 3 Goals in 3 Games. Was easily a top forward in the last 2 games. Brutal decision.

Absolutely blows my mind as well. Makes you wonder if there was something else going on. The performance was there without a doubt. I have heard that he's been known to have an attitude so who knows.

Maddangler

Nov 25, 2018
Absolutely blows my mind as well. Makes you wonder if there was something else going on. The performance was there without a doubt. I have heard that he's been known to have an attitude so who knows.
Blows my mind as well when "I'm too good for Peterborough-Cuylle" makes it over him.

Reactions: Ferda11

mkraayen

Mar 7, 2011
Speaking of Cole Craft and Justin Nolet - today both were named to Canada East Selection Camp (Aug. 7-9) for the World Junior A Challenge (Dec. 7-15)
Canada East Selection Camp Roster | 2019 World Junior A Challenge | Hockey Canada

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
Where does everyone see Sarnia finishing this year? I'll give two different scenarios and you decide what position they end up come playoffs.

1. Sarnia tweaks the roster with moves that see guys like Grima, Lamour, Martin etc. ship out. Assume your OA's are McGregor, Josling and Hatcher.

2. Sarnia sells off. McGregor/Josling being the main two being dealt.

My predictions:

Scenario #1 - Sarnia finished 7th last season. Losing Hugo/Spro/Eliot is a lot of points gone but I think you see those points being replaced then some. Hjorth comes in and replaces Eliot's numbers then some. Berka has proven to put up big time points in every level of hockey he has played, he replaces Francos numbers his first year. Perrault witht he potential to score 40-50 goals, A healthy Rees and McGregor scores 90-100 pts with Josling 70-80pts. There's no way this team takes a step back in this scenario. I predict 5th place with a possibility of 4th.

Scenario #2 - The loss of McGregor alone would be a big hit. Not only on the score sheet but in the locker room. Not sure I see anyone else being able to step up and lead this team the way he can. This option would give guys like Dann/O'Donnell a lot more ice time and valuable experience. Also, If Sarnia is to make a big run next year then we will need to recoup some picks as the cupboard for early round picks is a little too slim in my opinion. Might be the right thing to do moving forward. I predict a 7th place finish.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Where does everyone see Sarnia finishing this year? I'll give two different scenarios and you decide what position they end up come playoffs.

1. Sarnia tweaks the roster with moves that see guys like Grima, Lamour, Martin etc. ship out. Assume your OA's are McGregor, Josling and Hatcher.

My predictions:

Scenario #1 - Sarnia finished 7th last season. Losing Hugo/Spro/Eliot is a lot of points gone but I think you see those points being replaced then some. Hjorth comes in and replaces Eliot's numbers then some. Berka has proven to put up big time points in every level of hockey he has played, he replaces Francos numbers his first year. Perrault witht he potential to score 40-50 goals, A healthy Rees and McGregor scores 90-100 pts with Josling 70-80pts. There's no way this team takes a step back in this scenario. I predict 5th place with a possibility of 4th.

Scenario #2 - The loss of McGregor alone would be a big hit. Not only on the score sheet but in the locker room. Not sure I see anyone else being able to step up and lead this team the way he can. This option would give guys like Dann/O'Donnell a lot more ice time and valuable experience. Also, If Sarnia is to make a big run next year then we will need to recoup some picks as the cupboard for early round picks is a little too slim in my opinion. Might be the right thing to do moving forward. I predict a 7th place finish.
I have fairly similar thoughts. If the goaltending holds up & the team defence improves we should fight for 4-6 spot. But if we decide to sell or those things i said don't happen then 7-8 spot. They will struggle to go head 2 head against the elite teams. Younger team plus the bottom-6 isnt very good

Tone

Jan 28, 2019
I have fairly similar thoughts. If the goaltending holds up & the team defence improves we should fight for 4-6 spot. But if we decide to sell or those things i said don't happen then 7-8 spot. They will struggle to go head 2 head against the elite teams. Younger team plus the bottom-6 isnt very good
Don't write off the bottom 6 just yet. we don't even know who they are.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Don't write off the bottom 6 just yet. we don't even know who they are.
We know it'll be 6 of Tabak, Hill, Dann, O'Donnell, DeGurse, Burke, Saye, McCombs, Craft.. Possibly Voit if he signs. I like them all but i think its a little unrealistic to think they'll produce much. But i guess you never know.

Tone

Jan 28, 2019
We know it'll be 6 of Tabak, Hill, Dann, O'Donnell, DeGurse, Burke, Saye, McCombs, Craft.. Possibly Voit if he signs. I like them all but i think its a little unrealistic to think they'll produce much. But i guess you never know.
I am very interested to see how Tabak,Hill,Burke and Saye perform at camp.All have great potential, I believe.

jwalk

Mar 25, 2006
AJAX

My predictions:

I think there's a good chance that McGregor does return this year to try and attract interest from other pro teams now that the Leafs have given up his rights. The Leafs gave him a 4 game Amateur tryout at the end of last year but he didn't really show much at the AHL level so you have to think that there is a pretty good chance he will return to junior. I agree that he would make a significant difference to the Sting's prospects this coming season and with him I could see the team finishing top 5 in the West.
The one thing the Sting have that most teams don't is a plethora of 2001 born players some of whom have already seen two full years of playing team. I think the team could surprise to the upside even tough you may see the prognosticators from other cities around the league predicting that they won't even make the playoffs because of the loss of Hugo , Eliot , and Franco.

Saggy

Apr 24, 2019

Who are the "elite" teams you are referring to?

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I think there's a good chance that McGregor does return this year to try and attract interest from other pro teams now that the Leafs have given up his rights. The Leafs gave him a 4 game Amateur tryout at the end of last year but he didn't really show much at the AHL level so you have to think that there is a pretty good chance he will return to junior. I agree that he would make a significant difference to the Sting's prospects this coming season and with him I could see the team finishing top 5 in the West.
The one thing the Sting have that most teams don't is a plethora of 2001 born players some of whom have already seen two full years of playing team. I think the team could surprise to the upside even tough you may see the prognosticators from other cities around the league predicting that they won't even make the playoffs because of the loss of Hugo , Eliot , and Franco.

The Soo has eight 2001 born (right now). Flint & Kingston nine; many of them high picks or imports. There are others fairly invested in the 2001 group too. But, I think it will be the teams with 10+ ‘99 & 2000 born that will be in contention for the four home ice playoff spots in each conference.

Last edited:

davewheeler

Dec 5, 2016

My predictions:

Probably somewhere between 4-7 ... Another meh season and an early exit in the playoffs, the typical Sarnia Sting season.... So many question marks coming into this season.. Goaltending, defence, can Rees finally put it all together...The will be all in the next year. I think the only thing for certain is Perreault will score a but load of goals.... I would love to be surprised and see this team compete and do something other than fizzle out. My interest in this organization is slowly fading I'm sad to say....

InSuL1nImP

Feb 11, 2017
Hey guys, planning on making a trip out to catch the first game for the Bulldogs in Sarnia this year. Wondering if anyone had any travel suggestions/eating recommendations similar to the bellow thread.

Trip Advice and Tips For Posters
Parking at the Sting's arena is free. The parking lots are shared with Lambton college so depending on the day/night parking tends to be a nightmare. Don't eat at the game as the bar there is shit along with the concession stands. Beer is severely overpriced and everybody get's over severed. The concourse is very small and tight in several spaces especially on the bar side so walking around is a pain some nights. Bain's BBQ is across the street from the arena and have decent food. Twisted Arm has probably the best wings in town. Brownstones is another bar that is pretty close to the arena as well. There are no bad seats in the arena however there is no security at the arena so kids will always be standing running around and never seated. Any other tips you are specifically looking for let me know. I've been to many arena's in the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad