Sarnia Sting 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Texcanuck

Nov 28, 2017
How bad has Grima been? He has been noticeably bad. Every goal where you question where the hell the D was on that he seems to be on the ice. Huge disappointment this season.

It's a shame that we cant get our goalie to come up with those big saves when you need them. I cant imagine how frustrating and deflating it is for the team who went out and owned the Knights in the first and then Hughes lets 2 softies in right after the Sting go up.

I said yesterday to a friend that the team needs to try and find an experienced goalie to come in and give this team some confidence. The Sting have the ability to score goals but they can't be expected to have to score 5+ goals every game to have a chance to win.
I hear you regarding Grima. Just looking awkward out there right now - has not progressed since he was acquired a couple years ago.
First 3 games this year, goals against were 2, 1, 1. Since then, averaged over 5. Defense has stopped blocking shots as well.
Coffin has earned another shot, just by doing nothing. Every time Hughes plays, he’s taking another step backwards in the pecking order.
Team now tied with Erie for last playoff spot

Texcanuck

Nov 28, 2017
K. Hatcher currently tied for 194th among this season’s goal scorers. ;) Seriously, congrats to him for finally netting one.

Reactions: The Howler

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
Langevin - 2.86 GAA - 0.890 Save%
Hughes - 4.27 GAA - 0.843 Save %

Both have played 7 games.....Enough said.

bobbygore

Jun 27, 2011
Langevin - 2.86 GAA - 0.890 Save%
Hughes - 4.27 GAA - 0.843 Save %

Both have played 7 games.....Enough said.
Because Langevin is part of the 2001 group that is the future of the team it makes a lot of sense to give him the starter’s job. It could be painful at times but it’s the best way to for him to learn . As long as he keeps a save percentage close to .9 I’d say keep starting him .
Also , I’d keep playing the 01 players as much as possible along with Perrault and Hill.

This team isn’t going anywhere this year so they may as well let the young kids develop .

Reactions: Ferda11

InSuL1nImP

Feb 11, 2017
Coffin already off to a rough start with Pickering. He's playing in arguably the toughest division in the entire OJHL albeit Lindsay switched divisions this year. Pretty surprised how many down years Stouffville has had recently.

davewheeler

Dec 5, 2016
Because Langevin is part of the 2001 group that is the future of the team it makes a lot of sense to give him the starter’s job. It could be painful at times but it’s the best way to for him to learn . As long as he keeps a save percentage close to .9 I’d say keep starting him .
Also , I’d keep playing the 01 players as much as possible along with Perrault and Hill.

This team isn’t going anywhere this year so they may as well let the young kids develop .
The Western Conference is so wide open this year it is unbelievable ...... This team has the chance to make it just as far as "the best" Sting teams ever. So to say they're going no where acting like they have went somewhere before is weird but ok. Funny, everyone wanted the Sting to load up when they had no shot to win. I'd argue their chances of winning this year are about the same or maybe better as years past. If we get solid goaltending, return of Rees, maybe pick up a player.... who knows. Only a loser would give up a season 12 games in.

Texcanuck

Nov 28, 2017
The Western Conference is so wide open this year it is unbelievable ...... This team has the chance to make it just as far as "the best" Sting teams ever. So to say they're going no where acting like they have went somewhere before is weird but ok. Funny, everyone wanted the Sting to load up when they had no shot to win. I'd argue their chances of winning this year are about the same or maybe better as years past. If we get solid goaltending, return of Rees, maybe pick up a player.... who knows. Only a loser would give up a season 12 games in.
A closer look tells you that half the team’s wins so far have been against Flint, who have been completely absent from the win column this year. If they can show me a few wins versus teams over .500 then I might get my hopes up.
Langevin looks promising in the net but he’s a rookie and needs to show me a lot more before I can consider him as “solid goaltending”. The number of goals scored by Flint tonight has been pretty normal against the Sting. Unless the team proves it can keep pucks out of its own net, I’m convinced we’re going nowhere

StingDrone

Sep 21, 2017
topof106.tumblr.com
A closer look tells you that half the team’s wins so far have been against Flint, who have been completely absent from the win column this year. If they can show me a few wins versus teams over .500 then I might get my hopes up.
A few wins vs .500 + teams: 9/22 SAR 6 SAG 2 (SAG 7-4-1-1), 9/29 SAR 2 SSM 1 in OT (SSM 10-3-2) and 10/13 SAR 6 GUE 3 (GUE 7-4-2)

davewheeler

Dec 5, 2016
A few wins vs .500 + teams: 9/22 SAR 6 SAG 2 (SAG 7-4-1-1), 9/29 SAR 2 SSM 1 in OT (SSM 10-3-2) and 10/13 SAR 6 GUE 3 (GUE 7-4-2)
Exactly. Half our wins have come against +.500 teams. If Sarnia can get into the 5-6 range in the playoffs they can absolutely win a round. Even if they get the 7 seed depending on the 2 seed that could be an "upset". There are no powerhouse teams this year. I am just curious as to what "going nowhere" is?? If this Sting team wins a playoff round ... just one... that would tie the furthest a Sting team has ever went..... what is going nowhere?

Reactions: StingDrone

Texcanuck

Nov 28, 2017
Except for Kingston, Erie, Windsor and Flint, the entire league is 500 or better. So if they go the equivalent of 3-6-1 over the rest of the season then they sure won’t finish 5 or 6 in the conference.
I appreciate your optimism, but that’s “Cicarelli-era” thinking. Hatcher and gang have demonstrated a desire to go for it (all-in) and I believe that they have enough sense to understand that unless something amazing happens with the goaltending and the boys find a way to keep the puck out of their own net, then the upside for this team is limited. I’m not about to dig through the data but I’ve gotta believe that teams seeded 6 or worse, with rookie goalie at the helm, haven’t done real well in the playoffs historically.
We will know a month from now what this team is all about.
Oh, and by the way, going nowhere is losing in the first round of the playoffs (or worse).

InSuL1nImP

Feb 11, 2017
I'd still love to know what's up with this organization's infatuation with using top picks (First few rounds) on players who have absolutely no desire to play in the league. Also why is this team drafting a 5'3 110 player?

davewheeler

Dec 5, 2016
Except for Kingston, Erie, Windsor and Flint, the entire league is 500 or better. So if they go the equivalent of 3-6-1 over the rest of the season then they sure won’t finish 5 or 6 in the conference.
I appreciate your optimism, but that’s “Cicarelli-era” thinking. Hatcher and gang have demonstrated a desire to go for it (all-in) and I believe that they have enough sense to understand that unless something amazing happens with the goaltending and the boys find a way to keep the puck out of their own net, then the upside for this team is limited. I’m not about to dig through the data but I’ve gotta believe that teams seeded 6 or worse, with rookie goalie at the helm, haven’t done real well in the playoffs historically.
We will know a month from now what this team is all about.
Oh, and by the way, going nowhere is losing in the first round of the playoffs (or worse).
what r u talking about.... you asked for a few wins vs +.500 teams and he showed you exactly that. Showing optimism is not cicarelli era thinking. Maybe if the cicarellis gave stamkos some help they could have been better. Cicarelli era thinking would be thinking Thomas policelli would turn out to be good..... So in your opinion the sting have gone "no where" in Hatchers 3 out of 4 years? including this year???

Texcanuck

Nov 28, 2017
Sting have been absolutely great in the Hatcher era. As I’ve posted multiple times in the past, in 2 of the past 3 years they have taken bold steps to try and go deep. (Konecny trade first year and the big push last year). In the middle year, the expected loss of Zacha plus the unexpected loss of Chychrun and TK was too much to overcome.
What I’m saying is that in my opinion this team has the lowest potential of the past four.
What I’m saying is that half the team’s wins have come against a crappy team (and were not blowouts)
What I’m saying is that this team has, at this point, a goaltending problem (or maybe a defensive zone problem) and we don’t have a lot of draft picks left to upgrade
And while I hope you’re right and they perform well enough to be a 5 seed or so, I’m absolutely OK if they sell off 19 year olds or O/A’s in December/January in an effort to put together a “best ever” team for the 2020/21 season.

Reactions: jwalk

InSuL1nImP

Feb 11, 2017
This team clearly isn't a contender for anything. Merely getting to the playoffs doesn't cut it. It would be foolish not to sell as much as possible and re-coup assets to plan ahead for years 2020+ the Sting bank is empty. Why go into over draft when we don't need to. Obtain assets and a safety net. Get rid of all the O/A's & both imports. If we don't show a promising future players won't commit to us and players like Rees & Perreault will not come back as soon as they get first opportunity to leave.

davewheeler

Dec 5, 2016
Sting have been great but have went no where in 3 of 4 years, seems contradictory to me.... I am not going to presume what Hatcher is thinking but, the Sting have lost money in each of the seasons he has owned the team .... Attendance is way down this year and rightfully so. Can he afford to sell off and lose even more fans? If management had done a better job in drafting Sarnia would be in a better position to compete this year. This was suppose to be the year Sarnia competed.... If Sarnia isn't great in 2020 the franchise may be in tourble.... I'm not saying its going to move to Chatham because that is stupid but its in trouble.

Reactions: dansk55

dansk55

Jul 30, 2010
Sting have been absolutely great in the Hatcher era. As I’ve posted multiple times in the past, in 2 of the past 3 years they have taken bold steps to try and go deep. (Konecny trade first year and the big push last year). In the middle year, the expected loss of Zacha plus the unexpected loss of Chychrun and TK was too much to overcome.
What I’m saying is that in my opinion this team has the lowest potential of the past four.
What I’m saying is that half the team’s wins have come against a crappy team (and were not blowouts)
What I’m saying is that this team has, at this point, a goaltending problem (or maybe a defensive zone problem) and we don’t have a lot of draft picks left to upgrade
And while I hope you’re right and they perform well enough to be a 5 seed or so, I’m absolutely OK if they sell off 19 year olds or O/A’s in December/January in an effort to put together a “best ever” team for the 2020/21 season.
no this is just history repeating itself

bobbygore

Jun 27, 2011

You more than anybody would know about that . Lol

Anyone who actively advocates anonymous adults making disparaging remarks about kids really is a loser .

And if you think that this team with it’s obvious defensive problems and shaky goaltending can win the West then you are delusional . There is a lot of development needed for this team to become a true contender .

InSuL1nImP

Feb 11, 2017

Anyone who actively advocates anonymous adults making disparaging remarks about kids really is a loser .

And if you think that this team with it’s obvious defensive problems and shaky goaltending can win the West then you are delusional . There is a lot of development needed for this team to become a true contender .

There is a lot of development needed in both the front office and on the ice for this team to become a true contender. $30 per ticket I won't be giving this team any money any time soon.

davewheeler

Dec 5, 2016

Bobby... For some reason you keep putting words in my mouth. No where did I say they could or would win the west. All I said was the west is wide open and have the potential to win a round in a weak west. For some reason you keep bringing up that I defended someone who called a OHL hockey player trash, the discussion was over. I was defending his right to free speech and his right to criticize a hockey player on a forum with no direct contact with that player. Is it right or wrong?, I don't know or care. The fact is this forum discusses positive and negative views and doesn't require real names to be used therefore, people don't have to use their real names, I understand wanting anonymity on here. Maybe this isn't the place for you, Bobby, if you're that easily offended.

Reactions: InSuL1nImP

Texcanuck

Nov 28, 2017
Great game by the entire team today. If we can get another 85 or so of that kind of effort, I see a Memorial Cup coming our way.

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
I don't mind being a .500 team because the genius that picked us to finish last in the conference looks like a clown.

davewheeler

Dec 5, 2016
Great game by the entire team today. If we can get another 85 or so of that kind of effort, I see a Memorial Cup coming our way.
There's not a whole lot to say other than you're a clown. No one ever said they are going to the memorial cup. Read this and tell me if you understand? No, the sting aren't as good as years past but neither are any of the teams in the west. They are a decent team, will make the playoffs in anywhere from the 5-7 spot would be my guess. They are a game above .500 without Rees and sub par goaltending. Get a good matchup in the first round and anything can happen. How many times have the Sting got upset in the first round in years past?? Try reading that and make a rebuttal other than being a troll.

Texcanuck

Nov 28, 2017
In 19 playoff appearances the sting have been “upset” 6 times. Twice the “upset” was against a team with only one point less than the sting. Other upset differentials were 8 points in 1998-99, 11 in 2003-04, 17 in 2015-16 and 21 points in 2002-03. Once our guys beat a heavily favored Windsor team (2007-08).
So 63% of the time the team with the best record won the first round. That’s about two-thirds...
Of the seven upsets, we were on the wrong end of 86% of them. Do the odds favor us if we’re talking upset possibilities??? Who knows?
What I do know is that I’ll be at every game rooting for the team, but I also have to be real about what I’m seeing.
The memorial cup comment was just for chuckles. Lighten up!
By the way, K. Hatcher now tied for 153rd in the OHL goal scoring race (not counting the one he tipped behind Hughes today). Tied with Ryan McLeod of Missy, a former first round OHL draft pick and a 2nd round NHL pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad