Sarnia Sting 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
Update on Rees...Don't ask how I know but It's from a very close source.

Rees suffered a lacerated kidney from a cross check in the SSM game. He spent 4 days in the hospital. He wont be skating for at least 2-3 more weeks and isn't expected back until late December.

Huge blow to the Sting. Poor kid has had the worse luck and now this in his draft year. Gotta feel bad for him. Total bummer.

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
re: Calvas,

Thought we'd get a higher pick as OA D-man are usually a premium. This team desperately needs to recoup 2nds and 3rds...They have no choice but to shop Sali and Franco or even Ruzicka if they can pull it off.

Texcanuck

Nov 28, 2017
Disappointing regarding Rees. Saw him in a suit before the Kitchener game, fully mobile, no casts or slings, no limp, so it doesn’t surprise me that it’s an internal thing. Really unfortunate!!

Texcanuck

Nov 28, 2017
Another topic - anybody other than me disappointed with the play of Kammerer? I thought he was going to be exceptional, but he’s barely keeping up this year. Am I seeing it wrong?

InSuL1nImP

Feb 11, 2017
If anything is wrong with Kamerrer it's his defensive pairing. He is really young and will only turn 17 October 21st. Normally it takes a little longer for D to develop. As for Rees it's extremely upsetting to see him be out to Mid-Late December. He's been pretty injury prone in his young junior career not good at all. Especially when many people thought he was going to crack the WJ roster. It amazes me why the Sting keep trading the majority of the time with the same teams over and over again (Peterborough, North Bay, Etc..) As it stands right now we should be trading Hughes and another 2 O/A's to re-coup some assets.

Reactions: The Howler

Texcanuck

Nov 28, 2017
If anything is wrong with Kamerrer it's his defensive pairing. He is really young and will only turn 17 October 21st. Normally it takes a little longer for D to develop. As for Rees it's extremely upsetting to see him be out to Mid-Late December. He's been pretty injury prone in his young junior career not good at all. Especially when many people thought he was going to crack the WJ roster. It amazes me why the Sting keep trading the majority of the time with the same teams over and over again (Peterborough, North Bay, Etc..) As it stands right now we should be trading Hughes and another 2 O/A's to re-coup some assets.
You might be right regarding defense pairings. With Calvas gone and not having to sit him or Eliot out as 4th OA, perhaps the pairings can be more stable. Hope so...
Regarding trade partners, much more likely to trade with teams that are not in your conference. For example, Saginaw could have used Calvas to replace Middleton, and perhaps we could have added a goalie swap to get Lamour who was displaced by a parachuted Russian, but why strengthen a team you’re directly competing against? So teams in the other conference who we only see twice per year are more likely partners. Also, if two GMs have a history of win-win trading, they’re more likely to do it again. A trust thing.

Reactions: The Howler

InSuL1nImP

Feb 11, 2017
I'm pretty sure there are more teams in the East then just North Bay, Sudbury, Peterborough. The Pezzetta trade we gave up a very solid defensive prospect, TWO 2nd round picks and a 4th round pick. The Ang trade we sent Hinz (Who we could REALLY use this year) a 2nd & a 3rd. The Dineen trade we sent Henderson Two 2nd, Two 4th, 6th, 2 conditional picks. It is hard to believe we didn't get at least robbed in the Dineen trade. We need to start recouping many of these assets we sent out. At the very minimum Eliot & Ruzicka need to be traded. I'm sure a lot more should be done. We really need to stop overpaying for players as well as underselling our own.

Texcanuck

Nov 28, 2017
Have to admit that trading Ruzicka is an interesting possibility. We now have two final-year imports, so if the team is going nowhere by December, unload for a younger import and a pick.
Next year is the “penalty” year where the team pays for the crappy draft of Weiss and Samuelson, so our next big target year is 2020-21 in my humble opinion...
Might see the big selloff if goalie situation remains

Texcanuck

Nov 28, 2017
By the way, fixing the goalie situation includes one of the guys earning the #1 spot through good play...

BoxerMax

Nov 6, 2010
I'm pretty sure there are more teams in the East then just North Bay, Sudbury, Peterborough. The Pezzetta trade we gave up a very solid defensive prospect, TWO 2nd round picks and a 4th round pick. The Ang trade we sent Hinz (Who we could REALLY use this year) a 2nd & a 3rd. The Dineen trade we sent Henderson Two 2nd, Two 4th, 6th, 2 conditional picks. It is hard to believe we didn't get at least robbed in the Dineen trade. We need to start recouping many of these assets we sent out. At the very minimum Eliot & Ruzicka need to be traded. I'm sure a lot more should be done. We really need to stop overpaying for players as well as underselling our own.

I think you are the first person that I have heard say Lavallee is a solid defensive prospect. I have no problem with the trades last year and I think what we got in return, depending on the condition, was a very good return for Calvas.

As we get closer to the deadline, I'm sure we will see a few players being moved. As for the return, that will depend on how many teams are buying and how many are selling. As of now, we can only wait and see.

InSuL1nImP

Feb 11, 2017
I believe he's a solid prospect because he can switch between D/C which is very unique. He's an absolute giant at 6'7 over 220 and can tally points both goals and assists. He's a tough kid which is something this team has really needed for a long time. Like I said before we could have got a bit more for Calvas but like typical management settle for less. Regardless of winning or losing this team should write off the year and sell. Even if a miracle happens and we make the playoffs we would need to make the conference final before you could even call it a success. Like I've also said many times before this franchise is inept at not only drafting players but developing and giving up on them too. Getting rid of Ruzicka another O/A and Hughes is a small step in the right direction towards stability within this organization. Many fans like to sugar coat the hard facts and reality when it comes to the team. The real fans know what is up and are getting tired of the same garbage spewing from the Sting. Naming Langevin starter is the correct thing to do. If he develops properly that is one thing we can check off the long list if not he'll become disposable in the next year or two.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

Lavallee is 18. He might be 10 on the wolves D depth chart. There is very likely no 4th owing as Pezzetta does not seem destined for an OA season.
Compared to the other deadline deals last season, the sting did not really over pay in any of those trades, imo.

InSuL1nImP

Feb 11, 2017
Lavallee is 18. He might be 10 on the wolves D depth chart. There is very likely no 4th owing as Pezzetta does not seem destined for an OA season.
Compared to the other deadline deals last season, the sting did not really over pay in any of those trades, imo.
The Wolves are built for this year as well as the future. Plus once they get their new arena they will be near the top echelon of destinations for recruits and prospects. It's hard to say we didn't overpay when we didn't receive the caliber of players that SOO, Kingston etc.. got. Albeit Kingston sold their souls for who they got in return and will be in the basement for years to come for doing so.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Idk. Dineen is better than Sambrook, I think. We will see how long it takes for Kingston to being seriously competitive again. They did dig themselves a pretty big hole

Soo traded 2001 1st & 9 picks for Raddysh and Sambrook; that’s pretty steep. Kingston traded away 2000 & 2001 1sts and lots of picks. Hamilton, Kitchener also traded away 1sts & picks. Those teams got the elite F because they parted with the 1st round picks.
Having said that, the big winners of the deadline were probably Windsor & London

Last edited:
Reactions: BoxerMax

Texcanuck

Nov 28, 2017
I believe he's a solid prospect because he can switch between D/C which is very unique. He's an absolute giant at 6'7 over 220 and can tally points both goals and assists. He's a tough kid which is something this team has really needed for a long time. Like I said before we could have got a bit more for Calvas but like typical management settle for less. Regardless of winning or losing this team should write off the year and sell. Even if a miracle happens and we make the playoffs we would need to make the conference final before you could even call it a success. Like I've also said many times before this franchise is inept at not only drafting players but developing and giving up on them too. Getting rid of Ruzicka another O/A and Hughes is a small step in the right direction towards stability within this organization. Many fans like to sugar coat the hard facts and reality when it comes to the team. The real fans know what is up and are getting tired of the same garbage spewing from the Sting. Naming Langevin starter is the correct thing to do. If he develops properly that is one thing we can check off the long list if not he'll become disposable in the next year or two.
I agree with some of your stuff, disagree with other parts.
First, I can’t see this team missing the playoffs with what they have right now. Flint appears to be brutal and Erie has a bad start underway, so I don’t know how you do worse than 8th. However, if they play a month without Rees, I can’t see better than 5th, and they really have nothing to trade up with. So it comes down to a management decision as to whether they are satisfied with a middle-of-the-pack performance or whether to go all in for 2020-21, and trade off some current talent, since as I said before, next year does not look good either.
Next 2 months will be interesting and maybe the team will gel and outperform my expectations.

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
I was happy with the trades, you have to go for it if you are sitting second in the league, I think the team was better after the deadline, and other teams got rid of a lot more than us... and as for lavalee he may be big but my god he is brutal ... sooooo slow , when he was here for camp I actually felt so bad for him watching guy after guy after guy skate around him.

Reactions: Texcanuck

BoxerMax

Nov 6, 2010
I was happy with the trades, you have to go for it if you are sitting second in the league, I think the team was better after the deadline, and other teams got rid of a lot more than us... and as for lavalee he may be big but my god he is brutal ... sooooo slow , when he was here for camp I actually felt so bad for him watching guy after guy after guy skate around him.

Hatcher would skate circles around Lavalee.

I do see the Sting squeaking into the playoffs this year. That is because they will be sellers. They have no choice but to be sellers if they want to build a championship team around their 2017 draft class.

InSuL1nImP

Feb 11, 2017
Massive 3 game set this weekend. I'd like to see Langevin get tested tonight by a solid London team as well as the game against Sauga. Put Hughes in tomorrow night against Guelph.

Texcanuck

Nov 28, 2017
Massive 3 game set this weekend. I'd like to see Langevin get tested tonight by a solid London team as well as the game against Sauga. Put Hughes in tomorrow night against Guelph.
That would work for me too. Can easily go 3-0 or 0-3. A telling weekend

InSuL1nImP

Feb 11, 2017
Don't agree at all with putting Hughes in net tonight. If we win 2 out of 3 that is HUGE for this team. Guelph & Sauga are absolutely red hot right now. 5 game home stretch that we need to take advantage of.

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
Watched the game lastnight, I thought our team looked good, especially in the third and and OT, beauty goal by foudy, Hughes had no chance lol... didn’t see the second when London scores most of there goals, did Hughes play bad or ok? This team is actually a pretty good team in my opinion, London didn’t look that great to me.... again sarnia just needs steady goaltending......I agree do what london did last year (have a middle of the pack team, and unload at the deadline) , and if we unload I want to every OA gone if we can, and also ruzicka and some 99’s the sting won’t use as OA’s next year.... will Hugo be back as an OA next year? Or can you use a import as an OA? Terrible how Hatcher will be an OA for us ... I would of liked Mcgregor, josling, grima. Or Mcgregor, Hugo, grima..... looks like Mcgregor, josling, Hatcher

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
Smallish defence for Guelph get in fast and hard on the fore check tonight and run them into the boards... I would suspect hogue sits out and jako comes in since Guelph has a lot of massive forwards. I will be attending I’m hopeing for a good game, can’t wait to see Perrault play, I hope langevin is in Net I want to see him play... wish Rees was playing so I could see his development since last season.... go sting go!

dansk55

Jul 30, 2010
Watched the game lastnight, I thought our team looked good, especially in the third and and OT, beauty goal by foudy, Hughes had no chance lol... didn’t see the second when London scores most of there goals, did Hughes play bad or ok? This team is actually a pretty good team in my opinion, London didn’t look that great to me.... again sarnia just needs steady goaltending......I agree do what london did last year (have a middle of the pack team, and unload at the deadline) , and if we unload I want to every OA gone if we can, and also ruzicka and some 99’s the sting won’t use as OA’s next year.... will Hugo be back as an OA next year? Or can you use a import as an OA? Terrible how Hatcher will be an OA for us ... I would of liked Mcgregor, josling, grima. Or Mcgregor, Hugo, grima..... looks like Mcgregor, josling, Hatcher
not sure we watched the same game... Our defence was horrific. Hughes had no help... especially on the OT goal... after he blew around Ruzika, Grima stood and watched. He did not even try to stop him and he was inches away... i think we should have kept Calvas and got rid of Grima...i am really disappointed with the defence... Hughes is not great, but he does need a bit of defence in front of him....Hugo had a great goal...

dansk55

Jul 30, 2010
Hatcher would skate circles around Lavalee.

I do see the Sting squeaking into the playoffs this year. That is because they will be sellers. They have no choice but to be sellers if they want to build a championship team around their 2017 draft class.
we will make the playoffs because Erie and Flint are horrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad