Sarnia Sting 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Texcanuck

Nov 28, 2017
I don’t see McGregor on the game sheet tonight. Is he outward bound? Hate to lose him, but he’s the best bargaining chip this team has. Will know by noon tomorrow

Texcanuck

Nov 28, 2017
When motivated he could be your best player and this could look an amazing trade. He is big and highly skilled. Just as easily Wolves fans may be pissed that they gave up 3 high picks for a guy that rode out the season and did zero come playoff time.

Which is exactly what he did for the Sting last year in the playoffs. He was one of the point leaders on the team last year in the regular season and only got 2 or 3 points in the playoffs in 2 series with no goals. To be fair to him there was a rumour that he had an injury so that might be an extenuating factor but he didn't appear to be overly motivated come playoff time which is a knock on some of the Euros.

Personally, I think this is a great move for the Sting recouping three high draft picks.
In 2009 the Sting gave a big pitch to the fans about building the team from drafts and player development called Brick by Brick. The whole idea was building the team from within and not making knee jerk moves and trading a pile of high picks and mortgaging the future.
This is what I'd like to see Hatcher and Sinclair do now with the team. Stockpile high picks and build from within. Also, stop using the high picks to take gambles - draft solid sure thing players who are guaranteed to show up - the 2000 born draft year was an unmitigated disaster. Drafting Weiss, Samuellson and Hughes in the top 4 picks and having none show up was a huge embarrassment. Currently there are zero players from that draft on the team. Hopefully they've learned their lesson from that. Draft those guys in the 9 th round not the 1 st !

If the situation warrants it then move some of your picks but in general be stingy with your high picks ( because they are like gold in this league ). Hatcher owns the team so he doesn't have to deal with the perform now or be fired mentality. These guys have the luxury of being patient.

They've shown they know how to draft and develop the players so they should stick with that strategy. That 2001 draft class and picking Perreault from the 2002 class are great examples of this .
I would think Eliot could bring a bigger haul than Salinitri. If Sinclair could add a few more second round picks to the mix that would be a huge coup for Sting fans.
JWalk - The Eliot train has left the station. OA trade deadline was noon today.

jwalk

Mar 25, 2006
AJAX
I don’t see McGregor on the game sheet tonight. Is he outward bound? Hate to lose him, but he’s the best bargaining chip this team has. Will know by noon tomorrow
He should bring a better haul than Salinitri being a 99. Would be another smart move by management if the return is big enough.

Reactions: Texcanuck

jwalk

Mar 25, 2006
AJAX
Or Sinclair was asking more than buyers were willing to pay.
Could be . The guys that own the team are probably losing money and the playoff gate to get to the second round could also be a consideration. Eliot may also have had a say on where he didn't want to go. Either way a missed opportunity as a late round pick who showed up out of nowhere it would've been a coup to turn him into a couple of second round picks.

dansk55

Jul 30, 2010
Can you give me some info on Ruzicka?
I think it would be safe to make your own evaluation. Very skilled..learning to use body in corners. Some Sarnia fans have a hardon for the kid because he can float. They obviously are professional fans who pay their two bits to be critical of teens. He is an excellent passer and controls play. Just had a few problems putting puck in net but has a fantastic shot. I think with right players, he can put the points which Sudbury sorely lacks

Reactions: hockeynorth

jwalk

Mar 25, 2006
AJAX
Reesor and grima let lamour down on the 3rd goal tonight.
Warming up to Lamour. He's a work in progress but he's got a lot of skill. Could be a very good fit with the 2001 group. This team will start making noise in the league next year.

Reactions: Stingland

Texcanuck

Nov 28, 2017
Warming up to Lamour. He's a work in progress but he's got a lot of skill. Could be a very good fit with the 2001 group. This team will start making noise in the league next year.
He’s going to be just fine. He’s reasonably quick and agile, something not present in either of the two now-departed goalies. My buddies in Saginaw indicated that he would make stellar saves then let in an occasional softie. That’s just a concentration and focus thing. He was just squeezed out of a job when Prosvetov was parachuted in to the #1 job there. I’m guessing he will earn a 50-50 split with Langevin by the end of the year.

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
I like lamour be nice to see the sting score some goals and get him a W, he’s fast and athletic and doesn’t get down on himself when he gets scored on like old Hughes did. I feel a lot more comfortable with lamour and langevin than langevin and Hughes.

Reactions: Stingland

Texcanuck

Nov 28, 2017
Observer game report indicated “lower body injury”. False alarm!?

Texcanuck

Nov 28, 2017
On another note, if you haven’t already, take a look at the game highlights on the ohl website. On the empty net goal, have a look at Hugo when Frost winds up for a slapper on his empty net goal. Absolute terror - where can I hide! Hilarious. I’d much rather see him play Friday than get hurt blocking that one!

Reactions: The Howler

BoxerMax

Nov 6, 2010
I think the biggest factor in Eliot not being moved is the fact that all the buyers already had 3 O/A's and exchanging one with Eliot and burning a card was not worth it.

As for today, should be interesting to see if anyone would be moved. I wish someone had a list of how many cards each team has available. I think if we do trade a player away, that player would be McGregor. But I wouldn't be surprised if we bring someone in with how small the current roster is.

massey

Sep 5, 2012
I think the biggest factor in Eliot not being moved is the fact that all the buyers already had 3 O/A's and exchanging one with Eliot and burning a card was not worth it.

As for today, should be interesting to see if anyone would be moved. I wish someone had a list of how many cards each team has available. I think if we do trade a player away, that player would be McGregor. But I wouldn't be surprised if we bring someone in with how small the current roster is.

I would think we must soon be out of cards. If McGregor truly has an injury could be trade stopper depending how serious.If any cards left,maybe we can pick up a younger player caught in a numbers game.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace

Ottawa picked up 2 OA's this week so not all buyers had 3 OA's.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Jamieson Rees looked really good last night. Shifty forward, nice edgework, really strong on his skates, good vision and awareness. Beautiful setup on your first goal from behind the net. You got a good one there. The 2001 draft class seems to have an unusually high number of misses in the first round, but you guys nailed it.

Texcanuck

Nov 28, 2017
Jamieson Rees looked really good last night. Shifty forward, nice edgework, really strong on his skates, good vision and awareness. Beautiful setup on your first goal from behind the net. You got a good one there. The 2001 draft class seems to have an unusually high number of misses in the first round, but you guys nailed it.
We had our disaster draft the year before!

BoxerMax

Nov 6, 2010
Ottawa picked up 2 OA's this week so not all buyers had 3 OA's.

Good point, however, is Eliot better then the 2 they picked up? Would he fit in better than what they got? What about the return? And I forgot to add in my previous post, is Eliot better than the O/A's those teams have?

BoxerMax

Nov 6, 2010
I would think we must soon be out of cards. If McGregor truly has an injury could be trade stopper depending how serious.If any cards left,maybe we can pick up a younger player caught in a numbers game.

I don't think we are any where near out of cards. My guess is we have used 24 so far. 6 more cards would be available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad