Sarnia Sting 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

massey

Sep 5, 2012
Well Eliot is top 8 in defence scoring, he’s strong defensively and can be physical, makes mistakes ya a few , do other junior players make mistake yep about 99 percent of them... Eliot should fetch almost as much salinitri did. And who cares what a player does in the WJC that’s not the OHL different style of play and higher competition. Look what ruzicka did last year and he’s a point per game this year without kyrou. The package of them together should bring back a decent return.

Yes Eliot is a in the top 8.But he is an O/A.Sorry just no buyers for him this year and u never know what the sting was asking for him.

Ruzicka trade looks good to me but u never know till a year or so later if u win or loose.If he ever decided to use his size and become ambitious he could be a beast in the OHL

Texcanuck

Nov 28, 2017
Yes Eliot is a in the top 8.But he is an O/A.Sorry just no buyers for him this year and u never know what the sting was asking for him.

Ruzicka trade looks good to me but u never know till a year or so later if u win or loose.If he ever decided to use his size and become ambitious he could be a beast in the OHL
Sarnia’ ability to draft well has been pretty good over the past 2 years. This deal and Salinitri’s has patched up most of the Konecny vacuum.

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015

Actually sounds like Sudbury wanted a dman who quarter back the power play, he’d be the perfect fit and they seem to be buyers, I think sarnia was asking a lot for him.

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
Sarnia’ ability to draft well has been pretty good over the past 2 years. This deal and Salinitri’s has patched up most of the Konecny vacuum.
I agree he last 2 drafts have been dynamite, I hope this is just a regular thing for this franchise... the owners want to be a middle of the pack team on the years they are in a rebuild

Texcanuck

Nov 28, 2017
Ruzicka today no better than Ruzicka on day 1 of his Sting career. Reasonable to recoup picks, and more playing time for the younger guys.
Will see if the vacant import slot will be used to pull in an import of a different age than Hugo, and avoid having to draft 2 import rookies this spring.

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
I will take this trade any day of the week for Sarnia. I didn't expect Ruzicka to be back for a OA season. I'm betting he plays over seas or in the AHL

Reactions: davewheeler

BoxerMax

Nov 6, 2010
Ruzicka today no better than Ruzicka on day 1 of his Sting career. Reasonable to recoup picks, and more playing time for the younger guys.
Will see if the vacant import slot will be used to pull in an import of a different age than Hugo, and avoid having to draft 2 import rookies this spring.

Sting will still be drafting 2 imports this year. Very rare does an import play an overage season. If Hugo doesn't get an AHL contract after this season, I would think he would go play pro hockey in Europe.

Texcanuck

Nov 28, 2017
Sting will still be drafting 2 imports this year. Very rare does an import play an overage season. If Hugo doesn't get an AHL contract after this season, I would think he would go play pro hockey in Europe.
Unless they somehow acquire an 18-yr old import as part of another deal...
Agree that import OA is unusual (Michnac in Saginaw right now, perhaps others...), and unlikely, but the odds of getting 2 decent import players in the same draft are slim, considering all 3 leagues rotate through the draft cycle.

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
Big, protects the puck well, great shot, good offensive instinct, never uses his big body to make a hit or even bump someone off the puck, and doesn’t hussle to achieve pucks , doesn’t forecheck or backcheck , gets a lot of hooking penalties due to not wanting to move his feet

Reactions: hockeynorth

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
Not a bad idea if the player is a 2001 born winger.

Attachments

• 71B69DC2-0912-4CC5-B7EC-E09CEC36DBC4.png
    71B69DC2-0912-4CC5-B7EC-E09CEC36DBC4.png
    99.8 KB · Views: 84

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Big, protects the puck well, great shot, good offensive instinct, never uses his big body to make a hit or even bump someone off the puck, and doesn’t hussle to achieve pucks , doesn’t forecheck or backcheck , gets a lot of hooking penalties due to not wanting to move his feet
Yet he’s around a point a game player? Here’s hoping a change of scenery brings out the best in him.

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
Not sure why the return would be nice. Ruzicka hasnt played that great,was silent in the WJC and Eliot has struggled of late.Guess it depends on your definition of nice.Doubt Eliot is involved.Hopefully it is a fair return,lots of trades in the OHL and I am sure the buyers are close to done.Went to London and Guelph game last night,with the Guelph trade picks overnight and if the team comes together,WOW they r going to be tough.Really interested what London does now.Love the trade deadline time

London has already run out of player cards

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
Talk about this on the SSM thread and sure enough now on Sarnia thread. MacGregor for Roth would be a win-win for both teams.

Leafs have more than enough forwards in the system already.McGregor will probably be back next year as an OA

jwalk

Mar 25, 2006
AJAX
Yet he’s around a point a game player? Here’s hoping a change of scenery brings out the best in him.
When motivated he could be your best player and this could look an amazing trade. He is big and highly skilled. Just as easily Wolves fans may be pissed that they gave up 3 high picks for a guy that rode out the season and did zero come playoff time.

Which is exactly what he did for the Sting last year in the playoffs. He was one of the point leaders on the team last year in the regular season and only got 2 or 3 points in the playoffs in 2 series with no goals. To be fair to him there was a rumour that he had an injury so that might be an extenuating factor but he didn't appear to be overly motivated come playoff time which is a knock on some of the Euros.

Personally, I think this is a great move for the Sting recouping three high draft picks.
In 2009 the Sting gave a big pitch to the fans about building the team from drafts and player development called Brick by Brick. The whole idea was building the team from within and not making knee jerk moves and trading a pile of high picks and mortgaging the future.
This is what I'd like to see Hatcher and Sinclair do now with the team. Stockpile high picks and build from within. Also, stop using the high picks to take gambles - draft solid sure thing players who are guaranteed to show up - the 2000 born draft year was an unmitigated disaster. Drafting Weiss, Samuellson and Hughes in the top 4 picks and having none show up was a huge embarrassment. Currently there are zero players from that draft on the team. Hopefully they've learned their lesson from that. Draft those guys in the 9 th round not the 1 st !

If the situation warrants it then move some of your picks but in general be stingy with your high picks ( because they are like gold in this league ). Hatcher owns the team so he doesn't have to deal with the perform now or be fired mentality. These guys have the luxury of being patient.

They've shown they know how to draft and develop the players so they should stick with that strategy. That 2001 draft class and picking Perreault from the 2002 class are great examples of this .
I would think Eliot could bring a bigger haul than Salinitri. If Sinclair could add a few more second round picks to the mix that would be a huge coup for Sting fans.

Reactions: dansk55

davewheeler

Dec 5, 2016
Is a point per game in the OHL even that hard to do for a 3rd year played drafted by the NHL? Ruzicka needs more than a change of scenery, a change in attitude would be best for him.

Reactions: robp1219
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad