Sarnia Sting 2015 Off-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ringing Iron

May 8, 2011
Sting Orientation Camp is April 25 & 26. Public welcome.

Doubt I will be able to make it but if anyone's going then keep an eye out for Ross Krieger and let me know how he looks. To my surprise, he was passed over in the 2014 OHL Draft and then had an outstanding rookie season with the Dresden Jr. Kings. He'sa lot of Lajeuenesse - small, skilled, fearless and smart.

Smart invite on Sarnia's part adn well deserved for Krieger

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
Doubt I will be able to make it but if anyone's going then keep an eye out for Ross Krieger and let me know how he looks. To my surprise, he was passed over in the 2014 OHL Draft and then had an outstanding rookie season with the Dresden Jr. Kings. He'sa lot of Lajeuenesse - small, skilled, fearless and smart.

Wondering how many rosters spots are available for next season ?

guy97

from sarnia
Apr 16, 2015
Wondering how many rosters spots are available for next season ?

I think 3 or 4 spots zacha,white.brown, will be gone at fowards and at Def deferias,Black , schlichting , will be moving on too.any other inputs:yo:

Ringing Iron

May 8, 2011
Tough roster to project...I don't see much turnover from last season other than Sarnia's top 2 picks

Earlier in the year, I'd say Zacha might not be back but due to setbacks with injuries/suspensions, I am not sure the NHL team that drafts him will be as eager to testing him in the NHL.

A lot of the questions on Sarnia's rosters are among their 95/96 vets (Brown, Hodgson, Renaud, Bushnell, White, etc), I'd bring back Nikandrov as one of the key vets up front and I'd expect Hodgson, Renaud and Bushnell to remain vital pieces. White missed a lot of time and Brown was wildly inconsistent.

From the 2015 draft, I don't see any forward outside of Chmelevski or McGregor pushing for a spot. However, players like Campbell and Ribau are ones to watch from the '98 crop.

Sarnia has a lot of centres so some of these kids will have to play outside of their natural position. Personally, I love Kyrou at C but he's got experience on the wing so he's an easy swap.

FORWARDS: not overly concerned with line combos
Kyrou-Zacha-Korostelev
Lindberg-Salinitri-Chmelevski
Renaud-Nikandrov-Hodgson
McGregor(LC)-Lajeunesse-Bushnell

Aces - Patrick White (LW), Chase Campbell (RW), Brendan Trottier (RW)
Decisions to be made on OA Davis Brown (LW), Matteo Ciccarelli (C) - injured/health?
Others: Zach Ribau (was impressive at '14 camp), Brendan Morgan (LW), agitator Jacob Stos (unlikely to push out above group yet)

DEFENSE:
Core-Chychrun(L)
Black-King
Spinozzi-O'Donnell
Schlichting (health??)

Others: Franco Sproviero, Josh Defarius
May push for a spot but likely not there yet: Francesco Luca (in the games I watched, he needs some work - Jr B?), Ryan Porter (D, likely headed to OJHL for a yr), Brett Banwell (good season with Amherstburg in JrC)

GOALTENDERS
Justin Fazio
BIG QUESTIONS: Shayne Battler vs. Kaden Fulcher (outstanding yr with Hill Academy) vs. Aidan Hughes (tough for a 16 yo to break in but he's got the skill/size) vs. Veteran G addition?

Wildcard: Brad Belisle (C, committed to NCAA)

Then there's the import selection.

I don't see many open spots without some trades happening first.

Last edited:

hockeyinmyblood

Nov 11, 2014
Tough roster to project...I don't see much turnover from last season other than Sarnia's top 2 picks

Earlier in the year, I'd say Zacha might not be back but due to setbacks with injuries/suspensions, I am not sure the NHL team that drafts him will be as eager to testing him in the NHL.

A lot of the questions on Sarnia's rosters are among their 95/96 vets (Brown, Hodgson, Renaud, Bushnell, White, etc), I'd bring back Nikandrov as one of the key vets up front and I'd expect Hodgson, Renaud and Bushnell to remain vital pieces. White missed a lot of time and Brown was wildly inconsistent.

From the 2015 draft, I don't see any forward outside of Chmelevski or McGregor pushing for a spot. However, players like Campbell and Ribau are ones to watch from the '98 crop.

Sarnia has a lot of centres so some of these kids will have to play outside of their natural position. Personally, I love Kyrou at C but he's got experience on the wing so he's an easy swap.

Kyrou-Zacha-Korostelev
Renaud-Nikandrov-Hodgson

Decisions to be made on OA Davis Brown (LW), Matteo Ciccarelli (C) - injured/health?
Others: Zach Ribau (was impressive at '14 camp), Brendan Morgan (LW), agitator Jacob Stos (unlikely to push out above group yet)

DEFENSE:
Core-Chychrun(L)
Black-King
Spinozzi-O'Donnell
Schlichting (health??)

May push for a spot but likely not there yet: Francesco Luca (in the games I watched, he needs some work - Jr B?), Ryan Porter (D, likely headed to OJHL for a yr), Brett Banwell (good season with Amherstburg in JrC)

GOALTENDERS
Justin Fazio
BIG QUESTIONS: Shayne Battler vs. Kaden Fulcher (outstanding yr with Hill Academy) vs. Aidan Hughes (tough for a 16 yo to break in but he's got the skill/size) vs. Veteran G addition?

Thanks for the post Dean. Always enjoy your input. I sure hope Zacha is back. I'll be surprised if he isn't.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Pavel Zacha can not play in the nhl next year because he will be drafted out of the CHL.

No, he can't play in the AHL next year because he will be drafted out of the CHL.

He could play in the NHL if he made the team, but that's pretty unlikely.

goodtimes

Sep 24, 2013
No, he can't play in the AHL next year because he will be drafted out of the CHL.

He could play in the NHL if he made the team, but that's pretty unlikely.

He could go back home and play pro. Doubt that happens next year, as a 19 year old thats probably realistic.

guy97

from sarnia
Apr 16, 2015
That is not good news for Sarnia if true. In an earlier post you indicated that Black would be moving on. Inside scoop too or just a hunch?

black is a hunch and only eway zacha stays if he still in love with girl friend from sarnia,,,,,

StungbySting

Jun 10, 2011
Sarnia

Kyrou-Zacha-Korostelev
Renaud-Nikandrov-Hodgson

DEFENSE:
Core-Chychrun(L)
Black-King
Spinozzi-O'Donnell
Schlichting (health??)

GOALTENDERS
Justin Fazio

Love the post Dean. I hope they don't have Brown back as an OA. He's too streaky of a player and is only one dimensional. When he's not scoring, he isn't much use to the team. I really hope they can add a veteran d-man to the top 4. Someone who plays with grit and can clear the front of the net. I have a feeling the first pick in the Euro draft will be a d-man. This is what I'm hoping for on the back end:

Chychrun-O/A
Spinozzi-Euro pick
Black-King
O'Donnell-Core
Schlichting

guy97

from sarnia
Apr 16, 2015
Love the post Dean. I hope they don't have Brown back as an OA. He's too streaky of a player and is only one dimensional. When he's not scoring, he isn't much use to the team. I really hope they can add a veteran d-man to the top 4. Someone who plays with grit and can clear the front of the net. I have a feeling the first pick in the Euro draft will be a d-man. This is what I'm hoping for on the back end:

Chychrun-O/A
Spinozzi-Euro pick
Black-King
O'Donnell-Core
Schlichting

well said :handclap:

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland

fanofdo

Oct 31, 2009
sorry guys Zacha wont be back inside scoop not happy in sarnia,,,,,:cry:

Players being unhappy is part of the game. Period. Players on bad teams are unhappy, players on good teams are unhappy and players on championship teams are unhappy. Don't read too much into this - pretty much the same pattern in the corporate world. Add to this, there a plenty of players that perform much better when they are unhappy.

Some people have legitimate issues, others not. It all depends on who you listen to.

Another fact is that NHL teams have been and do so more all time, is look at character - the good CHL teams have followed suit. Players that have a less than a great attitude are a risk. This can and often does affect their draft position and that often translates to having an affect on their contract.

It really isn't a question of if, but more of a question of when players will face less than perfect circumstances - its going to happen. Teams want players that not let these issues affect their play - good players don't let it.

Zacha has talent - I saw his game improve this year - he was very good against Erie. If he is pissed off about something and going to pout, then good riddance. Should this franchise want to take the next step we need to avoid drama with players that want to be bigger than the team and want things handed to them.

We've been there and done that - doesn't work. I for one am ready for a new chapter.

guy97

from sarnia
Apr 16, 2015
Players being unhappy is part of the game. Period. Players on bad teams are unhappy, players on good teams are unhappy and players on championship teams are unhappy. Don't read too much into this - pretty much the same pattern in the corporate world. Add to this, there a plenty of players that perform much better when they are unhappy.

Some people have legitimate issues, others not. It all depends on who you listen to.

Another fact is that NHL teams have been and do so more all time, is look at character - the good CHL teams have followed suit. Players that have a less than a great attitude are a risk. This can and often does affect their draft position and that often translates to having an affect on their contract.

It really isn't a question of if, but more of a question of when players will face less than perfect circumstances - its going to happen. Teams want players that not let these issues affect their play - good players don't let it.

Zacha has talent - I saw his game improve this year - he was very good against Erie. If he is pissed off about something and going to pout, then good riddance. Should this franchise want to take the next step we need to avoid drama with players that want to be bigger than the team and want things handed to them.

We've been there and done that - doesn't work. I for one am ready for a new chapter.

:handclap: :)

new2sting

Sep 19, 2014

Chychrun-O/A
Spinozzi-Euro pick
Black-King
O'Donnell-Core
Schlichting

Are you guys not expecting to see Hatcher in the line up this coming year? I fully expect him to be there. Count on campbell being in the line up next year.

StungbySting

Jun 10, 2011
Sarnia
Are you guys not expecting to see Hatcher in the line up this coming year? I fully expect him to be there. Count on campbell being in the line up next year.

Hatcher said he is probably a year away from the OHL. He won't set him up to fail. He will develop best in Junior B.

new2sting

Sep 19, 2014
sorry but cambell wont be in ,who spot will he take,,,,,:sarcasm:

I won't be sorry at all if he doesn't make the line up.... they really like him. When they want to, they make room. Unless Hatcher doesn't share the same opinion.

bobbygore

Jun 27, 2011
I won't be sorry at all if he doesn't make the line up.... they really like him. When they want to, they make room. Unless Hatcher doesn't share the same opinion.

I believe that Campbell will be given every opportunity to make the team but he will be one of the bubble players who will have to really step up to make the team.

This weekend is the mini camp for the prospects. They typically have a player introduction at the Hive where they introduce the picks - does anyone know if that's happening again this year and ifso when is it ?

Sting Fire

Aug 31, 2008
Hockeyland

Very good skater a bit undersized but not afraid to compete very well could be a sleeper (and keeper).

Thought another Free Agent looked good today:

Connor Lamont:: Good hands and feet, always in motion

bobbygore

Jun 27, 2011
Very good skater a bit undersized but not afraid to compete very well could be a sleeper (and keeper).

Thought another Free Agent looked good today:

Connor Lamont:: Good hands and feet, always in motion

I agree he was very impressive. His line mates Zach Ribau from last year's draft and another walk on Daniel Tsiampas all looked really good. I think all might warrant an invite to the big camp at the end of August.

I wasn't overwhelmed by any of the 99 group. I thought the second rounder McGregor was about the best of the bunch, as he is a highly skilled player .

Chmelevski showed from flashes but then you didn't notice him for long stretches. Unfortunately, Hughes the goalie had a really rough 2nd period when he got stung for five goals. Even though that happened he looks like he's got a ton of potential , and one scrimmage doesn't mean a whole lot.

Ironically, the kid that stood out and played great was the other goalie local boy Kaden Fulcher ( also from last year's draft). Nothing was getting by him. Hatcher's son also looked pretty good although he would need some development before he would be ready to play in this league IMO.

jwalk

Mar 25, 2006
AJAX
I agree he was very impressive. His line mates Zach Ribau from last year's draft and another walk on Daniel Tsiampas all looked really good. I think all might warrant an invite to the big camp at the end of August.

I wasn't overwhelmed by any of the 99 group. I thought the second rounder McGregor was about the best of the bunch, as he is a highly skilled player .

Chmelevski showed from flashes but then you didn't notice him for long stretches. Unfortunately, Hughes the goalie had a really rough 2nd period when he got stung for five goals. Even though that happened he looks like he's got a ton of potential , and one scrimmage doesn't mean a whole lot.

Ironically, the kid that stood out and played great was the other goalie local boy Kaden Fulcher ( also from last year's draft). Nothing was getting by him. Hatcher's son also looked pretty good although he would need some development before he would be ready to play in this league IMO.

I dropped by this morning and it was a pretty energetic scrimmage. I was impressed with some of the 99's . THe kids who stood out for from that group me were the 2 kids out of Burlington - McGregor and Hyrsko - both of whom are highly skilled and competitive and the big goalie Hughes. Not sure what happened yesterday but he looks like he's got all the tools from what I saw. I also thought that the first rounder Chmelevski was pretty much a non factor . Not sure if he was even playing a regular shift. Maybe he was injured.

I was very impressed with some of the free agents. As a matter of fact it may be the best free agent group I've seen at one of these mini camps. Some of the kids I thought stood out were Tsiampas, Lamont , Diamond and Krieger. As a matter of fact I thought that that some of the FA's were quite a bit better than the picks but most were a year older.

From last years picks I thought the best player on the ice was Franco Sproviero. I would expect he could crack the lineup this year despite his size. The other kids that competed hard were Campbell and Ribau and O'Donnell looked good.

One interesting player is the big defenceman Luca. I would think the Sting would take a long look at this kid although he appears to be a bit of a project. He's big and tough and thru some killer hits early on but his positioning and decision making could use some work. The Sting do not have a lot of toughness on the back end ( or throughout the lineup for that matter). If this kid can fight it might it might also get him a spot on the team even though that particular skill is not as important as it once was. If I were the Sting I think I might offer this kid a card come September.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad