Sarnia Sting 2015 Off-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobbygore

Jun 27, 2011
Sting will pick 10th in this Year's Priority Selection. I wonder if Sinclair and his gang are interested in Matthew Strome captain of the Marlies at that spot. He sure does come from a good hockey family.

jwalk

Mar 25, 2006
AJAX
Sting will pick 10th in this Year's Priority Selection. I wonder if Sinclair and his gang are interested in Matthew Strome captain of the Marlies at that spot. He sure does come from a good hockey family.

I believe that Strome is rated somewhere near mid to the end of the first round so it might be possible that the Sting could take him at 10 or if they got lucky maybe with Windsor's 2nd round pick. To get quality lineage sometimes its worth it to pay up.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
I believe that Strome is rated somewhere near mid to the end of the first round so it might be possible that the Sting could take him at 10 or if they got lucky maybe with Windsor's 2nd round pick. To get quality lineage sometimes its worth it to pay up.

Don't see Strome making it past Niagara with the 13th pick.

And even if they somehow pass on him, he won't go past Erie. Bassin seems to have developed a weird thing for family members on his team.

jwalk

Mar 25, 2006
AJAX
Don't see Strome making it past Niagara with the 13th pick.

And even if they somehow pass on him, he won't go past Erie. Bassin seems to have developed a weird thing for family members on his team.

You're likely right about Strome not getting out of the first round. If I remember correctly Jordan Subban went quite a bit higher than where he was originally projected even though he was pretty small . Like Jordan Subban, Matthew Strome is the third brother going thru the league so it should help his stock.

Canuck71*

I really hope if we get the chance to at #10 to draft Ben Jones. Loved what I have seen from this kid and that is around where most people have him pegged to go. Kid has a mean streak and skys the limit. He would fit in well here next year and is the kind of player that can play any role from my viewings.

tommy89

Dec 12, 2011
This is disappointing but this should not be a surprise to very many...I was just hoping Hatcher would give Trevor an opportunity to see how far he could take the team next season rather than jumping right in...Let's hope his kid is good

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
This is disappointing but this should not be a surprise to very many...I was just hoping Hatcher would give Trevor an opportunity to see how far he could take the team next season rather than jumping right in...Let's hope his kid is good

Back in February I heard Delmore interviewed about the ownership change. This was when it was announced a month ago but not signed off by the board of governors. Delmore said neither he nor Letowski had any talks with Hatcher or Legwand. Yeah that writing was pretty much on the wall.

dansk55

Jul 30, 2010
And people thought the other owners were too hands on

i really think Abercrombie should have been the one to be fired. Not quite he has value added except sucking up to the owners, past and present.
I think with any new boss, people change hands. If he had survived, i would have been surprised.
Of course it doesn't matter what I think but I do believe he will find the transition a little more difficult than one thinks.

Good luck to Andy and Trevor...
Also if you spend millions on a team, you can do what u want... there are many examples.

Stingland

Jul 27, 2013
And people thought the other owners were too hands on
Trevor and Andy did a great job with what they had. I hope Derian knows what he is doing as there is a lot riding on this. There was a lot of positivity surrounding the trajectory of the team this year. A misstep at this point would be a huge setback. The new owners have a lot of money riding on this so I will give them the benefit of the doubt for now.
I hope that Trevor and Andy find a new coaching gig for the upcoming season. They would be perfect for Kitchener if openings become available.

jwalk

Mar 25, 2006
AJAX
"@StingHockey: Sting announce Co-owner Derian Hatcher as new Head Coach - Read more -->... http://t.co/i0xernK2l6"

Wow.

Huge red flag here . Let's hope for the sake of long suffering Sting fans that we aren't jumping from the frying pan into the fire in respect meddling owners. 20 years of that is enough.
The first indication of this will be in the draft on Saturday . If the owners' relative get drafted way higher than he should then Sting fans could be watching a re run of Groundhog Day.

The thing that is a real pity is that Letowski has been in the league 5 years and has paid his dues and has made big strides as a coach at this level. Both him and Delmore did a very good job this year . The fact that the first major decision under new ownership is to throw that out the window and replace them with a coach who has minor hockey and Developmental experience is pretty questionable. Under any normal circumstance who would do that ? A meddling owner perhaps.

One thing for sure Hatcher has put a lot pressure directly on himself now. There is a lot of hope for this team given the number of excellent young prospects the team has accumulated, but after years of mismanagement the fans could easily disappear in droves if the team doesn't perform. If this coaching change doesn't work the new owners will have made a very bad investment . You've got to wonder if the new owners have a really good handle on just how alienated a lot of the Sting fan base is because of the way the team has been run in the past, and how easily the goodwill created last season could disappear. They are certainly rolling the dice big time with their first move and are about to find out.

Last edited:

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland

we should be picking 8th but because of compensation picks we sit at 10th. teams shouldn't be able to double dip when it comes to players that don't report. :rant:

StungbySting

Jun 10, 2011
Sarnia
I've read Hatcher's kid is ranked in the 3rd to 4th round of this draft. I really hope the Sting don't use one of their three 2nd round picks to take him. I really hope the Sting take a goalie with one of those three picks. I'm 100% about drafting the best player available, but the Sting need a young goalie with number 1 potential in the system.

Canuck71*

Jesus Christ, here we go ago. Trevor was doing a great job behind the bench for the talent he was given. Nobody had this team even making the playoffs. I really think they should have given him another year. Now we got a guy with zero experience coaching a Junior team in a league of this caliber coming in, I'm praying it doesn't turn in a circus. First sign is gunna be if we take his kid higher than expected.

Overall not impressed with this.

dansk55

Jul 30, 2010
hear abercrombie on chok trying to justify the decision, and he was right, he owns team. It is not what he said but how it said it that irked me...sounded a bit pissy to me.

Gr8northscout

Aug 29, 2012
Ontario
draft

Isn't there an unwritten rule to leave a kid alone up until his rating spot arrives in the draft, then if daddy doesn't take him, he's fair game?

So if little Hatcher is rated at 101 overall and Sarnia passes on him when they pick say at....94th, then in my opinion he would be fair game.

Let's hope they don't take him at 50 or something ridiculous like Sudbury did a few years ago.

I always say: if you're not happy with the way the team is run then show your displeasure by not attending.

Rumor on the Sudbury board is Letowski will land is Suds.

Last edited:

Spitsy

Mar 21, 2015
I've read Hatcher's kid is ranked in the 3rd to 4th round of this draft. I really hope the Sting don't use one of their three 2nd round picks to take him. I really hope the Sting take a goalie with one of those three picks. I'm 100% about drafting the best player available, but the Sting need a young goalie with number 1 potential in the system.

You have that goalie right now in Fazio....

StungbySting

Jun 10, 2011
Sarnia
You have that goalie right now in Fazio....

Fazio is unproven over a full season. He's always been a back up. I feel the Sting need another young goalie that will be ready to start in 2-3 years when Fazio is gone. This will be a huge year for Fazio if ownership doesn't bring in a veteran goalie for him to compete with. I hope Hatcher wouldn't go into his first OHL coaching stint with an unproven goalie and a young defense corps. That's just setting himself up to look really bad after what Letowski did this season.

SeniorJuniorFan

Dec 13, 2013
Not trying to stir the pot, just asking the question. With the owner now coaching, could the 2 owners (and Michigan natives) be looking at a new location for the team?

jwalk

Mar 25, 2006
AJAX
Not trying to stir the pot, just asking the question. With the owner now coaching, could the 2 owners (and Michigan natives) be looking at a new location for the team?

The team would likely only be moved if the fan base doesn't support the team and the team continues to lose money, not because the owner is now the coach. Whether the fans support the team will be based on the performance of the team because the fans have been subjected to 20 years of mediocre performance by the club. The new owners have a big sell job ahead of them to convince the fans that they know what they are doing .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad