Sarnia Sting 2015 Off-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spitsy

Mar 21, 2015
Glad to see they didn't take him in the 2nd round.....that would have been a bad situation to put that kid into.

dansk55

Jul 30, 2010
Can someone tell me more about Sasha? I see a couple mock drafts that had him going to us. Preferably I would have rather taken Meireles or Davis, but I hope Chmelevski proves me wrong.

i believe is coached by Sarnia's new assistant coach... pat peake.
We seem to now have a strong american contingent among our selection....hmmmmm Detroit area honey baked... and a team from new jersey. That seems odd our GM would delve that deeply into those two teams?
And our new goaltending prospect... huge is an understatement. 240 lbs is lot of weight to carry for young kid that is 16. means he will end up being about 6'6"
Nothing wrong with Hatcher kid in 4th.

Last edited:

Ringing Iron

May 8, 2011
We seem to now have a strong american contingent among our selection....hmmmmm Detroit area honey baked... and a team from new jersey. That seems odd our GM would delve that deeply into those two teams?
And our new goaltending prospect... huge is an understatement. 240 lbs is lot of weight to carry for young kid that is 16. means he will end up being about 6'6"

Hughes is an athletic goaltender. Tested the best of all goaltenders at the combine. Outstanding big goaltender for the Jr. Knights this year.

EasternOntario Fan

Mar 21, 2012
Hughes is an athletic goaltender. Tested the best of all goaltenders at the combine. Outstanding big goaltender for the Jr. Knights this year.

Was their first round pick rated high? I believe they will attract a lot of U.S. players now, which could be a good thing---but I believe Hatcher was not truthful when he said he would let GM go by his list.

StungbySting

Jun 10, 2011
Sarnia
It's a deep goaltending class. No need to use a second rounder on a goaltender if you are the Sting. There will be a good goaltender in the middle rounds available. Just my opinion.

Fazio is legit

What do you think of that 2nd round pick now after your pre-draft thoughts? Too early?

bobbygore

Jun 27, 2011
Was their first round pick rated high? I believe they will attract a lot of U.S. players now, which could be a good thing---but I believe Hatcher was not truthful when he said he would let GM go by his list.

Last year there were some late round afterthoughts coming from the US but this year year about half the draft came from the US including some top picks so I would definitely say that you are correct and the owner had his fingerprints on these selections. The 98 draft class may turn out to be the best draft the Sting ever had when the GM was left to his own devices. Hopefully, the same can be said about the 99 class.

Ringing Iron

May 8, 2011
What do you think of that 2nd round pick now after your pre-draft thoughts? Too early?

Ryan McGregor? He's a good player. Clearly everyone has different rankings but I'm not one to say that one player was the right pick and others were wrong. Hes extremely skilled and with Sinclair's good eye, I would trust his instincts. I didn't get to see a lot of McGregor but when I did, he was the team's best forward. Type of player who has a lot of room to grow.

Fans should be happy with him.

From about the 15th -60ish pick, there were a ton of players who could've fell into those spots. A lot of worthy candidates. Going to be a fun class to watch develop.

StungbySting

Jun 10, 2011
Sarnia
Ryan McGregor? He's a good player. Clearly everyone has different rankings but I'm not one to say that one player was the right pick and others were wrong. Hes extremely skilled and with Sinclair's good eye, I would trust his instincts. I didn't get to see a lot of McGregor but when I did, he was the team's best forward. Type of player who has a lot of room to grow.

Fans should be happy with him.

From about the 15th -60ish pick, there were a ton of players who could've fell into those spots. A lot of worthy candidates. Going to be a fun class to watch develop.

Sorry Dean, I meant what did you think of the Sting using one of their 2nd round picks on a goalie? A few days I ago I suggested it and you said it was too early to select a goalie because there were a bunch that could be picked up in the middle rounds. Did the Sting select a goalie too early in your mind?

Ringing Iron

May 8, 2011
Sorry Dean, I meant what did you think of the Sting using one of their 2nd round picks on a goalie? A few days I ago I suggested it and you said it was too early to select a goalie because there were a bunch that could be picked up in the middle rounds. Did the Sting select a goalie too early in your mind?

There were four goaltenders IMO that are a step above the rest of them and I'm fine with teams using a 2nd on them. If management felt they needed help in net (always good to have lots of options) then its not a bad move to shore up one of their top ranked netminders. Hughes fits that billing so thats good.

There were lots of very good goaltenders who went mid-late rounds too though. Bertucca is one of those tenders. Deep deep G class

StungbySting

Jun 10, 2011
Sarnia
There were four goaltenders IMO that are a step above the rest of them and I'm fine with teams using a 2nd on them. If management felt they needed help in net (always good to have lots of options) then its not a bad move to shore up one of their top ranked netminders. Hughes fits that billing so thats good.

There were lots of very good goaltenders who went mid-late rounds too though. Bertucca is one of those tenders. Deep deep G class

Dean, any chance you could do a brief write up on the players drafted by the Sting? I always enjoy reading your input.

Sadist

Feb 4, 2008
Detroit

Hadn't heard that Pat Peake was coaching for Sarnia. Maybe I missed the announcement. They have a lot of former Compuware guys running the show now. As a Whalers fan, this will be interesting to watch.

dansk55

Jul 30, 2010
Hadn't heard that Pat Peake was coaching for Sarnia. Maybe I missed the announcement. They have a lot of former Compuware guys running the show now. As a Whalers fan, this will be interesting to watch.

no announcement... purely speculation on my part... call it intuition.

fanofdo

Oct 31, 2009
At this point I will give them the benefit of the doubt - while I still don't like the whole Trevor issue, from what I have read I at least get a warm fuzzy they have a plan and thought this out.

David Legwan is a great player - Hatcher was a great player that was a team leader - won in Junior and in the NHL.

Pat Peake was a very good player.

I welcome their pedigree and hope as much as anyone that they can make this an upper echelon franchise.

They have made their move, they stepped up to the plate and explained themselves, which is appreciated.

massey

Sep 5, 2012
At this point I will give them the benefit of the doubt - while I still don't like the whole Trevor issue, from what I have read I at least get a warm fuzzy they have a plan and thought this out.

David Legwan is a great player - Hatcher was a great player that was a team leader - won in Junior and in the NHL.

Pat Peake was a very good player.

I welcome their pedigree and hope as much as anyone that they can make this an upper echelon franchise.

They have made their move, they stepped up to the plate and explained themselves, which is appreciated.

I agree with your post
Hatcher said that there was those in the OHL outside the team that thought we should have been playing for home ice advantage in playoffs meaning 4th or better.Looking at the injuries,suspensions and considering most had us 10th in the conference then 7th wasnt bad.
If Hatcher thinks that,I will be very disappointed as a STH if we are not the top 2 next year.No excuses.He set the bar now.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Sting

We all ready have 2 imports.NHL teams have to return them to jr because they will be drafted out of the CHL.

Sting, only have 1 import Zacha, and he will go in the 1st rd, so the Sting will be allowed to select 2 in the import draft, if Zacha was not selected in the 1st rd by NHL team, then only 1 import to be selected

StungbySting

Jun 10, 2011
Sarnia
We all ready have 2 imports.NHL teams have to return them to jr because they will be drafted out of the CHL.

Sting traded Kodola leaving them with only Zacha. There is a 99% chance that Zacha gets drafted in the first round therefore allowing the Sting to make 2 selections in the import draft. My guess is they use the first pick on a 17 year old d-man and the second pick will be a 16 old center.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
import draft

Sting traded Kodola leaving them with only Zacha. There is a 99% chance that Zacha gets drafted in the first round therefore allowing the Sting to make 2 selections in the import draft. My guess is they use the first pick on a 17 year old d-man and the second pick will be a 16 old center.

Minimum age to be drafted in Import draft is 17, not 16 which is the minimum OHL draft age

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
Sting, only have 1 import Zacha, and he will go in the 1st rd, so the Sting will be allowed to select 2 in the import draft, if Zacha was not selected in the 1st rd by NHL team, then only 1 import to be selected

1)Sorry for the mistake
2)Zacha will be drafted in 1st Round in the NHL Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad