Sarnia Sting 2015-16 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

dansk55

Jul 30, 2010
The Soo have definitely been the better team by far in the first 2 games.The team that continually wins the battles for the puck and executes its defensive system properly is very likely going to win the Series.

The Sting need to fix their defensive woes quickly or the hole will become too deep.Way too many breakdowns and missed assignments. Hatcher should put the kibosh on both Chychrun and King rushing the puck into the offensive zone as these rushes have directly led to outmanned situations that have led to goals in both games.

I thought Graham played well yesterday and was hung out to dry by the Soo players that were left wide open. Don't know what Spinozzi was thinking on the Soo's second goal when he gave Katchouk a clear path to the net. That was brutal. as a matter of fact on the first four goals the Soo scored somebody was left wide open. These games are now so critical that Hatcher should consider shortening his bench down to 4 defenceman.

The other major issue is that the Soo's best players have been their best players in the Series. Can't say the same thing about the Sting. I wonder if there is something wrong with Konecny as he's been virtually invisible these first 2 games. Ditto for Mistele and Studnicka . Were they even dressed yesterday ? Chychrun also needs to play a lot smarter or he should be riding the pines.

There have been some positives like the play of Salinitri and Lajeunesse who have played hard but if the team is going to come back in this Series the leadership group needs to stand up now. It goes without saying that if they lose the next game the Series is over.

I have said it often about Chychrun. He's not Bobby Orr, or even Tony D when he rushes the puck, so i am not quite sure why he continues to do it, or is allowed to do it. He gives it away far too often.

Have we looked at another issue: the coach. Does anyone else think he is lost? I don't think he is able to assess or break the Soo system or at least counteract. He sends out his lines before the other bench. I think we have been out coached. Regular season and playoffs are two separate stories, and constant flipping of line combos.
i do think they will regroup. Can they win the series? I hope so, but not putting money on it.
tough hill to climb. Adversity will see how much character these kids have

jwalk

Mar 25, 2006
AJAX
I have said it often about Chychrun. He's not Bobby Orr, or even Tony D when he rushes the puck, so i am not quite sure why he continues to do it, or is allowed to do it. He gives it away far too often.

Have we looked at another issue: the coach. Does anyone else think he is lost? I don't think he is able to assess or break the Soo system or at least counteract. He sends out his lines before the other bench. I think we have been out coached. Regular season and playoffs are two separate stories, and constant flipping of line combos.
i do think they will regroup. Can they win the series? I hope so, but not putting money on it.

Hatcher doesn't seem overly concerned with matching lines. I noticed a couple of times last game that the Sting had the fourth line and third defence pairing out against the Soo's top line. In my books you're really asking for trouble when you allow that kind of matchup.

To be fair to Hatcher there has been a huge improvement this year with players being aware of their defensive responsibilities and the way they communicate ( which has been reflected in big improvement in the GA ) over the way they played defensively under Letowski.

The strange thing is once the Soo scored a few goals in each game of this playoff series the defensive responsibility went out the window as player's tried to make up for the scoring deficit by themselves. Player's get caught out of position which lead to 3 on 1's and 3 on 2's.

Looks like they started to panic once they realized it was a lot more difficult to score on the Greyhounds in the playoffs than it was in the regular season. I think they expected that they would be able to blow the Soo out of the water with their high powered offence when the reality is that they are having a difficult time generating any decent scoring chances. ( kind of like Conor Mcgregor in his last UFC fight once he realized that he couldn't outmuscle Diaz).

If the Sting are going to win this series they need to play a defensively sound game and be patient . Guys have to stop trying to do everything themselves. They need to stick to the system and not get caught out of position. The players who don't do this should be benched. The Hounds are not likely going to have another period like they did in third of game 2 where they took their foot off the accelerator. If the Sting expect that or games like the regular season games at the Essar they are in for a rude awakening. This is the playoffs and so far the inexperience of the Sting is really showing.

If they are going to win it will likely be a 3 -2 game and they desperately need their best plaqyers to show up and they need to stop panicking.

tommy89

Dec 12, 2011

I don't want to pick on Chychrun as it seems I'm not the only one who sees glaring flaws in his game (I used to think I was one of the few) but I cannot express how frustrating Jakob has become to watch. My biggest issue is his effort level when getting back in to the play after he does turn it over or the play goes the other way. For a player credited with such great skating he sure doesn't use it appropriately, I'd be hard pressed to find a play where he got caught up the ice and skated back with more than 60-70% effort (I'm a season ticket holder). I really wish he would stick to playing defense especially for the playoffs when there is more than his draft rank on the line.

The same can be said for the whole defense and that's what I believe the problem is with this train wreck of a series...keep it simple, just play defense. The sting have several gifted offensive players who are capable of skating the puck up the ice but the defense seems to think they are the only ones. It's great to have defenseman who can skate the puck up the ice don't get me wrong, but not 4 of them all game long. A great first pass is much more beneficial...If the rushing d-man doesn't take the puck all the way in the zone himself (often to lose it anyway) the forwards are left standing still if they get a pass and have no other option with the puck but to dump it in or back track . I'm not sure if coach Darian has promoted this style of an offensive breakout but it is not working.

I have continually been miffed as to why Hatcher can't seem to keep 3 players together for more than a game. Players like Konecny (playmakers) rely on chemistry with their line mates to make plays happen. Travis can't get used to knowing where his teammates are in the offensive zone without looking(not to mention getting used to their other tendencies) when his line mates are constantly changing.

I'm having a hard time being optimistic about the rest of the series but I hope they prove me wrong.

stingfan1989

Jan 8, 2016
I don't want to pick on Chychrun as it seems I'm not the only one who sees glaring flaws in his game (I used to think I was one of the few) but I cannot express how frustrating Jakob has become to watch. My biggest issue is his effort level when getting back in to the play after he does turn it over or the play goes the other way. For a player credited with such great skating he sure doesn't use it appropriately, I'd be hard pressed to find a play where he got caught up the ice and skated back with more than 60-70% effort (I'm a season ticket holder). I really wish he would stick to playing defense especially for the playoffs when there is more than his draft rank on the line.

The same can be said for the whole defense and that's what I believe the problem is with this train wreck of a series...keep it simple, just play defense. The sting have several gifted offensive players who are capable of skating the puck up the ice but the defense seems to think they are the only ones. It's great to have defenseman who can skate the puck up the ice don't get me wrong, but not 4 of them all game long. A great first pass is much more beneficial...If the rushing d-man doesn't take the puck all the way in the zone himself (often to lose it anyway) the forwards are left standing still if they get a pass and have no other option with the puck but to dump it in or back track . I'm not sure if coach Darian has promoted this style of an offensive breakout but it is not working.

I have continually been miffed as to why Hatcher can't seem to keep 3 players together for more than a game. Players like Konecny (playmakers) rely on chemistry with their line mates to make plays happen. Travis can't get used to knowing where his teammates are in the offensive zone without looking(not to mention getting used to their other tendencies) when his line mates are constantly changing.

I'm having a hard time being optimistic about the rest of the series but I hope they prove me wrong.

I agree Hatcher has to get these guys going, and yes one night he's got Konecny with Studnicka... the next he's got him with Zacha. I know Zacha & Konecny are your two best forwards but if they don't work together stop trying to force it.

Also Hatcher should ride the bus once and awhile with the boys, I remember a game I attended (Last game in Kitchener) little over a week ago... I left after the final buzzer and went to meet a few friends at Ups N' Downs and not more then ten minutes later in walks Hatch to the bar.

That being besides the point, don't matter the name on the back if you screw up multiple times you MUST be held accountable... Zacha 4-5 boneheaded penalties and doesn't miss a shift after the penalties. Chychrun trying to go coast to coast and turns the puck over leading to two goals... Think he missed a shift?

I am hoping boys know they're much better and bring the A effort in the Soo, GO STING GO!

hockeytalk

Dec 7, 2015
sarnia

Great post. Couldn't agree more.

jwalk

Mar 25, 2006
AJAX

The other glaring problem I saw in both games was the failure of the forwards to get back and cover the open man after the Soo gained possession of the puck. Must've happened 20 times in the last couple of games where the Hounds broke into the offensive zone and the trailer was left wide open. This is a big problem. They have to address thisor there is no way they can win.

Schlerk

Aug 31, 2013
Sarnia
The other glaring problem I saw in both games was the failure of the forwards to get back and cover the open man after the Soo gained possession of the puck. Must've happened 20 times in the last couple of games where the Hounds broke into the offensive zone and the trailer was left wide open. This is a big problem. They have to address thisor there is no way they can win.

Sting have just been off their game, is all. Reason(s)? No idea. It's playoff hockey and a whole differnt mindset. That can work for you, or against. Picking up the trailer, wingers coming back, back end coverage - this is basic stuff; Sting were pretty good at most of their assignments this season and they know how to do this stuff. I think a game on the road might be good for the lads and a golden opportunity to get back to basics and turn this damn thing around. Good luck tonight, Sting.

jwalk

Mar 25, 2006
AJAX
Sting have just been off their game, is all. Reason(s)? No idea. It's playoff hockey and a whole differnt mindset. That can work for you, or against. Picking up the trailer, wingers coming back, back end coverage - this is basic stuff; Sting were pretty good at most of their assignments this season and they know how to do this stuff. I think a game on the road might be good for the lads and a golden opportunity to get back to basics and turn this damn thing around. Good luck tonight, Sting.

You answered you're own question. What worked for the Sting in the regular season isn't working now as the Hounds are much more diligent defensively than they were in the regular season. It's a lot harder to score , and the Sting seem to be panicking once they get down. The situation is made worse when players try to do everything themselves and when they stop doing their jobs on the defensive end. They need to be patient and disciplined and they need to stop taking stupid chances and stupid penalties and they will have a good chance to win. Let's see if they can execute the game plan tonight.

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
Well I thought to myself on Sunday that it was a do or die game but now it most certainly is a do or die situation...a 3-0 deficit would be too much to come back from. Win this game tonight and all of a sudden some confidence and momentum are back on our side and it's a whole new series.

I'd say good luck but good fortune doesn't win hockey games, hard work and determination does.

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
Travis Konecny not in the line up tonight...didn't participate in the morning skate either.

stingfan1989

Jan 8, 2016
Could see this one coming, TK hasn't been the same player the last 5-7 games... you could tell he's been playing through pain.

Konecny or Not this team should still be able to beat the SOO if they play their game if it's one for all like it's been last two games then it will be 3-0 fairly quickly.

Go Sting Go!

honey bee

Sep 29, 2011
Sting win 5-2. This was the team we all know and love. I cannot fault anyone's play, all played well. I was surprised Charlie Graham was in net, however he played an excellent game, really stood on his head for a couple. White, Zacha, Mistele, outstanding tonight. Hope they can continue Thursday night. We miss Konecky, but sometimes this is exactly what happens when a team is missing a big piece, they step up. Really impressive game tonight, boys. Go Sting Go. BTW where is Bushnell?

stingfan1989

Jan 8, 2016
Sting win 5-2. This was the team we all know and love. I cannot fault anyone's play, all played well. I was surprised Charlie Graham was in net, however he played an excellent game, really stood on his head for a couple. White, Zacha, Mistele, outstanding tonight. Hope they can continue Thursday night. We miss Konecky, but sometimes this is exactly what happens when a team is missing a big piece, they step up. Really impressive game tonight, boys. Go Sting Go. BTW where is Bushnell?

Great W! scroll above you'll read about the whole Bushnell situation.

Schlerk

Aug 31, 2013
Sarnia
You answered you're own question. What worked for the Sting in the regular season isn't working now as the Hounds are much more diligent defensively than they were in the regular season. It's a lot harder to score , and the Sting seem to be panicking once they get down. The situation is made worse when players try to do everything themselves and when they stop doing their jobs on the defensive end. They need to be patient and disciplined and they need to stop taking stupid chances and stupid penalties and they will have a good chance to win. Let's see if they can execute the game plan tonight.

It worked tonight. Sting played a good back-end game tonight. They used their speed up front and created opportunities. The whole damn bunch stepped up. Given the situation this was a game to see what the Sting are made of. They answered that call...the pivot game turning this damn thing around, I hope. Bring it Thursday, lads. Go Sting Go.

DavelPatsyuk13

Oct 10, 2014
Sault Ste. Marie, ON
What's up with Konecny? He was scratched but can't find anything on an injury of if they healthy scratched him. Credit to the Sting, played really well and finally looked like the team we were expecting. Us on the other hand... our usual abysmal selves at home.

h10*

Jan 12, 2011
What's up with Konecny? He was scratched but can't find anything on an injury of if they healthy scratched him. Credit to the Sting, played really well and finally looked like the team we were expecting. Us on the other hand... our usual abysmal selves at home.
He has some type of shoulder injury it seems and is done for year, or at least that's the word. Likely surgery for him

h10*

Jan 12, 2011
Oh yikes, hope he's ok. Kid's got crazy talent.

Unfortunate for Sarnia. Although maybe increases their chance to get him back next year because can see Philly less likely to start him in NHL off major surgery. But for Sarnia this likely ends their chance at chasing a long run. They surely can, and I guess will, come back vs SSM but London will be a near impossible task without their best player Konency

Schlerk

Aug 31, 2013
Sarnia
Unfortunate for Sarnia. Although maybe increases their chance to get him back next year because can see Philly less likely to start him in NHL off major surgery. But for Sarnia this likely ends their chance at chasing a long run. They surely can, and I guess will, come back vs SSM but London will be a near impossible task without their best player Konency

Soo sportswriter tweeted Konecky to 'rejoin' Sting on weekend. Don't know if that means 'play' on weekend though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad