Sarnia Sting 2015-16 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

count35

Nov 26, 2014
Soo
I would agree that the officiating as a whole is pretty bad, but it is not a professional league so the refing will always be spotty at best. Unfortunately Spinozzi put himself in a bad situation, but that is not the reason they lost. If people went through the top 9 forwards, I would venture to guess it is very easy to figure out exactly why the Sting are down 3-1 in the series. I do commend the Sault for how they are playing, but on one side note they certainly are selling to get the calls, and I am not referring to the penalty in overtime. I was watching with a buddy who really doesn't know a lot about hockey, and his exact words were " it seems like they are shot and dead every time they hit the ice". Soldier on Sting, you are in deep trouble but it is possible to dig out of it, but only if the no-shows decide to step up.

I can't speak to the games in Sarnia as it's never easy to tell on TV but i was at the 2 games here and the one thing i can tell you is that when you're there, watching live from only 5 rows from the glass the size difference of the Sting is VERY noticeable.

The Hounds are a young and small team so ANY check the Sting make is definitely felt especially when you're ridden hard into the boards! I'm sure that the Sting players get frustrated with the calls but they truly are huge compared to the players they're checking.

The difference other than that Spinozzi penalty....which the Hounds also had to kill off one...or more...i can't remember in OT was that the Sting were visibly gassed. Having to chase down a bunch of chickens like Rocky did in his first movie is wearing them down. That and the fact that like that penalty they're shooting themselves in the foot.

From our perspective here in Hound Nation Sarnia is the the ONLY team of the top 5 in the Western Conference we figured we matched up favorably with. We all were rooting to NOT move up a spot to play London. Erie, Kitchener and Windsor were all teams we didn't want to meet in the first round.

I'm not sure what it is that gave us this feeling....and i still wouldn't be surprised if Sarnia could put it all together and come back in this series, but there's something about them that makes us feel they're vulnerable. They personally remind me of last year's Hounds team...not quite as deep mind you but in the sense that they are hot-headed when frustrated...which killed us in the end!

I'm sorry if i took up too much time on here rambling on i just wanted to give an opinion from someone who was there. Thanks to you all and although i don't want to wish you luck i do want to say as stated before the reffing truly does stink in junior hockey!

h10*

Jan 12, 2011
I can't speak to the games in Sarnia as it's never easy to tell on TV but i was at the 2 games here and the one thing i can tell you is that when you're there, watching live from only 5 rows from the glass the size difference of the Sting is VERY noticeable.

The Hounds are a young and small team so ANY check the Sting make is definitely felt especially when you're ridden hard into the boards! I'm sure that the Sting players get frustrated with the calls but they truly are huge compared to the players they're checking.

The difference other than that Spinozzi penalty....which the Hounds also had to kill off one...or more...i can't remember in OT was that the Sting were visibly gassed. Having to chase down a bunch of chickens like Rocky did in his first movie is wearing them down. That and the fact that like that penalty they're shooting themselves in the foot.

From our perspective here in Hound Nation Sarnia is the the ONLY team of the top 5 in the Western Conference we figured we matched up favorably with. We all were rooting to NOT move up a spot to play London. Erie, Kitchener and Windsor were all teams we didn't want to meet in the first round.

I'm not sure what it is that gave us this feeling....and i still wouldn't be surprised if Sarnia could put it all together and come back in this series, but there's something about them that makes us feel they're vulnerable. They personally remind me of last year's Hounds team...not quite as deep mind you but in the sense that they are hot-headed when frustrated...which killed us in the end!

I'm sorry if i took up too much time on here rambling on i just wanted to give an opinion from someone who was there. Thanks to you all and although i don't want to wish you luck i do want to say as stated before the reffing truly does stink in junior hockey!

Well said about Sarnia. SSM last year was far more dangerous with offense/offensive depth and on backend and in net. I just think this Sarnia team is slighty overrated. Good team yes but just for whatever reason not elite. You would think on paper they are but they just haven't put it together. I don't think they can win much on talent alone, not many teams can except maybe London. And their are 3-4 teams more talented and deeper than they are. they have to become a more cohesive physical and disciplined unit to win and so far they haven't managed that consistently enough. But I wouldn't count them out especially if Konency returns because they still have enough skilled players to get on a roll

StingSkeptic

Jan 6, 2016
Count35 it's funny that you saw Sarnia as a good matchup for the hounds because I saw it the same way. The last team I wanted the Sting to face is the Soo! The hounds play a very disciplined clog up the middle of the ice in their defensive zone kind of game which forces a team like Sarnia to either play dump and chase (which they suck at) or shoot primarily from the perimeter which is ineffective especially against Halverson and usually results in a turnover which has proven to be suicidal in this series as the Soo has shown an amazing transition game against the Sting. Sarnia can still come back and win this series but it will take all 4 lines showing up for all 3 games and Graham has to be flawless. Sure the refs suck but that is not why the Sting are down...... They are down because they have not adapted their game to combat their opponents game. Fingers crossed they will figure it out...... If not maybe I will get my wish and they will draft high enough to get Riley Damiani in a Sting jersey next year.

Last edited:

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
If Sarnia has any chance of coming back they need Konecny back for the rest of the games....We win last night if he was in the line up.

count35

Nov 26, 2014
Soo
DeAngelo had his shoulder separated during last year's series with Erie and though he tried to play thru the pain he was essentially a shadow of his usual self and was hardly a threat the rest of the series. I imagine Koneckny will basically play just on the power play to protect him from any contact.

h10*

Jan 12, 2011
DeAngelo had his shoulder separated during last year's series with Erie and though he tried to play thru the pain he was essentially a shadow of his usual self and was hardly a threat the rest of the series. I imagine Koneckny will basically play just on the power play to protect him from any contact.

Probably was easier on defense for Deangelo. Essentially he didn't have to move the puck. Just simple passes. As a forward you have to be able to at least shoot the puck and use more strength. It's a tough loss for Sarnia

bobbygore

Jun 27, 2011
Gonna go out on a limb here but I say the Sting do the unexpected and come back and win this Series. I thought they were the better team in both games in the Soo and deserved a better fate.

They do need guys like Korostelev , and Kyrou to step up and deliver some offence(both have been disappointing so far ) and they need to play good team defence like they did in games 3 and 4. This is a winnable series.

Scorcho

Twitter @AmateurAdult11
Apr 16, 2010
Space
Well said about Sarnia. SSM last year was far more dangerous with offense/offensive depth and on backend and in net. I just think this Sarnia team is slighty overrated. Good team yes but just for whatever reason not elite. You would think on paper they are but they just haven't put it together. I don't think they can win much on talent alone, not many teams can except maybe London. And their are 3-4 teams more talented and deeper than they are. they have to become a more cohesive physical and disciplined unit to win and so far they haven't managed that consistently enough. But I wouldn't count them out especially if Konency returns because they still have enough skilled players to get on a roll

please fix the grammar here it's killing me slowly :P

hopefully the sting turn it around quick, was really hoping they would go on a fairly deep run

jwalk

Mar 25, 2006
AJAX
Gonna go out on a limb here but I say the Sting do the unexpected and come back and win this Series. I thought they were the better team in both games in the Soo and deserved a better fate.

They do need guys like Korostelev , and Kyrou to step up and deliver some offence(both have been disappointing so far ) and they need to play good team defence like they did in games 3 and 4. This is a winnable series.

It's definitely doable if they can play the solid defence they played up in the Soo and if Graham plays the way he is capable of.There have been a few travelers along the way who are not helping their NHL dreams. Its put up or shut up time.

count35

Nov 26, 2014
Soo
Probably was easier on defense for Deangelo. Essentially he didn't have to move the puck. Just simple passes. As a forward you have to be able to at least shoot the puck and use more strength. It's a tough loss for Sarnia

I doubt it was easier on a D man than a forward as the entire offense at the time ran thru DeAngelo, not to mention being the first man back to the puck in your own end....we've all seen every D man get creamed against the boards trying to get the puck back.

h10*

Jan 12, 2011
I doubt it was easier on a D man than a forward as the entire offense at the time ran thru DeAngelo, not to mention being the first man back to the puck in your own end....we've all seen every D man get creamed against the boards trying to get the puck back.

He seemed to have enough strength in his arm to make passes. And use his stick. He was decent enough in every area but getting off a powerful shot. Wasn't 100% but SSM masked it well with him.

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
The final 6 penalty calls in the game tonight were all against the Sting...amazing.

massey

Sep 5, 2012
The final 6 penalty calls in the game tonight were all against the Sting...amazing.

Anytime you have #20 as a ref it is going to be really bad.Overall Sting deserved what they got but should have been some back there way.Zacha,what can I say.totally disappointed in Hatcher that he rewards him with extra PK instead of letting him warm the bench

from1981

Jan 7, 2015
Anytime you have #20 as a ref it is going to be really bad.Overall Sting deserved what they got but should have been some back there way.Zacha,what can I say.totally disappointed in Hatcher that he rewards him with extra PK instead of letting him warm the bench

One thing you can count on from the OHL is the quality of the officiating. Some things just never change. What ever happened to the premise that the best officials get chosen for the playoffs ?

EasternOntario Fan

Mar 21, 2012

I understand what you are saying, and I have posted on here about dumb penalties. But this series would have been over by now if not for him, so I guess I would be ok taking the good with the bad right now. I think a more important concern is that forwards that are complete no-shows are being given top 6 minutes and PP. Best of luck tonight Sting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad