Sarnia Sting 2015-16 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobbygore

Jun 27, 2011
And they're off...................Training Camp Scrimmage Schedule

Aug 04, 2015 - 12:59 EDT
The Sarnia Sting Hockey Club will host Training Camp at the RBC Centre from Monday, August 31 through Saturday, September 5.

See below for all pertinent dates and times relating to Sarnia Sting Training Camp.

Please note that scrimmage times (Tuesday & Wednesday) have been pushed back by 30 minutes each.

Important Dates & Times to note:

Monday, August 31 @ 11:00 AM Player Registration
Monday, August 31 @ 12:00 PM Fitness Testing
Tuesday, September 1 @ 11:30 AM Scrimmage #1 (Black vs. Gold)
Tuesday, September 1 @ 5:30 PM Scrimmage #2 (White vs. Gold)
Wednesday, September 2 @ 11:30 AM Scrimmage #3 (Black vs. White)
Wednesday, September 2 @ 7:00 PM Annual Black & White Game - Release to follow*
Friday, September 4 @ 7:30 PM Pre-season game in London
Saturday, September 5 @ 7:05 PM Pre-season game at the RBC Centre vs. London

Ringing Iron

May 8, 2011
TEAM BLACK

35 Anthony Bertucca (G) – good debut performance
1 Justin Fazio (G) – solid

2 Alex Black (LD) – status quo for Black.
3 Zach Core (LD) – continues to be one of my favourite Sting defenders…will this be the year he breaks out? Is there enough offensive opportunity for him to do that? I hope so.
4 Kelton Hatcher (LD) – did a lot of little things well …he was paired with Jacobs which surely helped him feel more comfortable but he was solid….his footwork looks like it could improve to help him adjust to the OHL speed
5 Josh Jacobs (RD) – Came as advertised – Shutdown defender with the ability to physically engage…Interested to see if how he will transition offensively…passing looks legit but it doesn’t appear he will be leading the offensive rush (ala Chychrun, King or even Spinozzi)
6 Nash Nienhuis (LD) – was actually quite sound given his late draft status…not a big defender but he maintains good positioning…didn’t make any mistakes and got his feet wet in his first OHL camp – Success!
7 Ryan Porter (LD) – hesitant…very slight build

9 Curtis Egert (LW) – raw winger who looked a bit overwhelmed (to be expected) but he did flash some eye opening offensive tools…used his lengthy reach well and unloaded a couple quick shots on the rush.
12 Hayden Hodgson (RW)- good energy today
13 Troy Lajeunesse (C) – had flashes but didn’t establish himself this morning as much as he has in the past…Black didn’t click today
16 Anthony Salinitri (C) – didn’t notice him much today
18 Zach Ribau (C) – big fan of Ribau’s game…very poised under pressure…reacts quick and executes tough passes under pressure…probably projects as a Daniel Nikandrov type of player who takes care of his end first and foremost…he’s close to making this team.
19 Patrick White (LW) – scored a few goals but I’m still waiting for him to emerge as a consistent offensive option.

TEAM GOLD

29 Aidan Hughes (G) – looks like a seasoned vet…have to love his size and overall demeanour between the pipes. It’s rare for 16 year old goaltenders to play in the OHL but he might be the exception.
30 Jean-Pascal Sabourin (G) – excellent showing today…he’s not big but he gets it done.
2 Brett Banwell (LD) – confident puck mover….didn’t step out of his comfort zone but I can tell there’s more upside here…assuming he makes a Jr B squad, I think he’s poised for a big year as a puck mover.
3 Josh De Farias (LD) – appeared eager to make his mark today…was playing with lots of jump in his game….really engeged…he’s battling Black, Schlichting, O’Donnell and Sproviero for the final few spots. Really played well today.
4 Francesco Luca (LD) – not sure he’s progressed in the areas he needed to…where’s the nastiness? Skating remains a work in progress….often skates to areas where he becomes trapped with limited options. He’s still young so this will be a big year for him.
6 Jake O’Donnell (RD) – Mr. Steady Eddy back there…simple transition game…he’ll look to eat some heavy defensive minutes this year.
8 Matthew Kellenberger (RD) –NAILED in open ice and had to leave the ice (right knee injury) …the injury is unfortunate because he was one of the standouts in the opening scrimmage…he’s raw and a bit gangly (skinny off ice too) but he reads the opposition very well…hopefully he’s not sidelined too long.
9 Kevin Spinozzi (LD) - looks lighter and more mobile…jumped into offensive action quite a bit…shot looks as dangerous as ever but hitting the net will be an area to work on ;)

5 Chayse Herrfort (C; FA) – impressive free agent invite…played a simple yet effective game…understands the game well and seemed to have no problem adjusting to different linemate styles.
10 Noah Bushnell (RW) – is there another level? …flashes some nifty puck skills at times but also makes some gaffes…he’s an impact player but I keep hoping that he’ll break out
11 Jordan Kyrou (RC) – most dynamic player on the ice and he looks poised to lead Sarnia offensively this year (even if Zacha comes back)
15 Holden Hrysko (RW) - recognizes soft areas well…uses long reach in possession…well timed dishes…impressed today
16 Alex Renaud (LW) – passionate player who has come a long ways over the past two years but he still lacks puck skills to be a top six player. Ideally, Renaud should be on the 3rd line …he knows the kind of player he is and that plays to his advantage.
22 Sasha Chmelevski (C) –better in second scrimmage, holding onto puck longer and showing some deceptive puck maneuvres ( misdirection and fakes)….didn’t seem to be gripping the stick as much in the second scrimmage….really intrigued with him…appears to have good hockey sense, flashes of creativity but most importantly, he can play with top offensive options – providing puck support to keep plays alive (players like this are needed on this squad)….appeared to be coming out of his shell by the end of the day.
23 Jacob Stos (LW) – not gritty enough to play the role he needs to as a fourth line energy guy…

TEAM WHITE

35 Kaden Fulcher (G)…allowed 1GA in his start vs White (not to his fault)…sound positioning…he’s improved DRASTICALLY since his draft year…makes goaltending look easy. He’ll challenge for the backup role.
2 Cameron Babiak (D) – performed well for 2015 draftee…didn’t blow the doors off offensively but he was very sound defensively…relies on good positioning and tight gap controls….moves well…actually laid out a few guys (which was noticeable since he’s not the thickest of defenders)
3 Alex Boudreau (D) – not overly noticeable but that’s a good thing …not sure where he’ll play but he could be a solid defensive defenseman option in a years time.
4 Jakob Chychrun (LD) – did not play but we talked and he’s excited for the season…it appears he will probably suit up in a few exhibition games.
6 Jeff King (D) – status quo with Jeff King as he showed off his mobile offensive game…likely teams up with Chychrun to run the PP…scored a highlight reel shootout goal (quite amazing)
8 Connor Schlichting (D) – so nice to see him back playing (always liked him…even back in his draft year – loved the selection)…very mobile… looks strong and he’s got a calming style of game where he executes simple yet effective passes…lost time doesn’t help but he probably should be in a top four role with this team.
9 Franco Sproviero (D) – should receive long look even with lots of D…he’s the Jeff King of last season…he’s in tough due to numbers but I really like his game…so smart and efficient in a distributing role.

12 John Baker (RW) – buzzsaw forward was all over the ice…good support player always presenting himself as a passing option…chemistry player…could be the Troy Lajeuness of this training camp…smart quick touches…gets to top gear quickly…
14 Chase Campbell (RW) – underwhelmed…lacked the energy he’s shown in the past…needs to be that buzzsaw forward to warrant a spot on the roster
18 Nikita Korostelev (RW) – skating remains an issue particularly in lateral movement (rarely uses crossovers)..improved as the game went on…executed one of the filthiest shootout goals I’ve ever witnessed to end the second scrimmage.
20 Brandon Lindberg (LW) – awesome energy with lots of jump…another chemistry guy who’ll be easy to slot in as a top 9 forward
24 Ryan McGregor (C) –strength will be biggest area to work on but his speed lets him survive …highly intelligent player...progressed VERY well over his first game…good vision…wide skating base gets to top speed quickly...reminds me of a more skilled and quicker Salinitri…could improve body position to ready himself for passes and shots (simple fix)
26 Colton McKenna (LW) – good poise with the puck …adjusting to speed will be key…good quickness on a whippy snap shot…has the hands and range to earn space but he needs to exploit that when he gets it rather than wait for other options to arrive.
27 Brendan Trottier (RW) – didn’t do much to stand out from the pack

Sting Depth Chart (line combos are irrelevant)

Justin Fazio
Aidan Hughes
Kaden Fulcher

Jakob Chychrun -Josh Jacobs
Zach Core - Jeff King
Kevin Spinozzi - Jake O’Donnell
Alex Black
Josh DeFarias
Connor Schlichting

Brandon Lindberg - Jordan Kyrou - Nikita Korostelev
Troy Lajeunesse - Daniel Nikandrov - Hayden Hodgson
Patrick White - Ryan McGregor - Anthony Salinitri
Alex White - Sasha Chmelevski - Noah Bushnell
Chase Campbell

Pavel Zacha (???)

Bubble (close to duty):
D Kelton Hatcher
C Zachary Ribau
RW Holden Hrysko
RW Brendan Trottier

Canuck71*

So any word on Chychrun? Is he fully healthy? And judging by the comments I was hoping for a bit more out of Salintri. Hoping he can break out this year

BoxerMax

Nov 6, 2010
Thanks Dean for the write up. Couldn't agree more. And that Korostelev shootout goal was sick.

EasternOntario Fan

Mar 21, 2012
Thank you Dean for your writeup, it is nice to read whats going on with a couple my sons buddies. I think Renaud has progressed, I have said before that I really think where he was drafted put unreasonable expectations on him. He can be very effective if he plays as a power forward---hits in the corners and drives the net. He has a good shot and should score some mucking in front. As for White, think he is in a bit of a catch 22. I believe he can score regularly if playing with quicker offensive minded players, but he has missed so much time with injuries that it is hard to slot him there. Again I appreciate reading how they are doing, so thank you for that and future updates would be appreciated.

Forgot to ask---you don't have Renaud in your depth chart, oversight? Or is that a possibility.

Ringing Iron

May 8, 2011
Forgot to ask---you don't have Renaud in your depth chart, oversight? Or is that a possibility.

Typo in that depth chart. Should say Alex Renaud (not Alex White). I like what Renaud brings but I think he's best suited for the bottom six.

Hey Dean, question, you didn't mention Battler at all? Is he not at camp?

Battier is at camp. I just didn't spend much time talking goaltenders since they were all pretty good yet none outstanding

StungbySting

Jun 10, 2011
Sarnia
I really thought Holden Hrysko and Zach Ribau stepped up their games tonight. I'm glad there are going to be some tough decisions for management to make. Aidan Hughes flashed his glove hand a few times and played solid for the most part. I hope to see him in an exhibition game soon.

guy97

from sarnia
Apr 16, 2015
I really thought Holden Hrysko and Zach Ribau stepped up their games tonight. I'm glad there are going to be some tough decisions for management to make. Aidan Hughes flashed his glove hand a few times and played solid for the most part. I hope to see him in an exhibition game soon.

any cuts yet.:amazed:

jwalk

Mar 25, 2006
AJAX
TEAM BLACK

35 Anthony Bertucca (G) – good debut performance
1 Justin Fazio (G) – solid

2 Alex Black (LD) – status quo for Black.
3 Zach Core (LD) – continues to be one of my favourite Sting defenders…will this be the year he breaks out? Is there enough offensive opportunity for him to do that? I hope so.
4 Kelton Hatcher (LD) – did a lot of little things well …he was paired with Jacobs which surely helped him feel more comfortable but he was solid….his footwork looks like it could improve to help him adjust to the OHL speed
5 Josh Jacobs (RD) – Came as advertised – Shutdown defender with the ability to physically engage…Interested to see if how he will transition offensively…passing looks legit but it doesn’t appear he will be leading the offensive rush (ala Chychrun, King or even Spinozzi)
6 Nash Nienhuis (LD) – was actually quite sound given his late draft status…not a big defender but he maintains good positioning…didn’t make any mistakes and got his feet wet in his first OHL camp – Success!
7 Ryan Porter (LD) – hesitant…very slight build

9 Curtis Egert (LW) – raw winger who looked a bit overwhelmed (to be expected) but he did flash some eye opening offensive tools…used his lengthy reach well and unloaded a couple quick shots on the rush.
12 Hayden Hodgson (RW)- good energy today
13 Troy Lajeunesse (C) – had flashes but didn’t establish himself this morning as much as he has in the past…Black didn’t click today
16 Anthony Salinitri (C) – didn’t notice him much today
18 Zach Ribau (C) – big fan of Ribau’s game…very poised under pressure…reacts quick and executes tough passes under pressure…probably projects as a Daniel Nikandrov type of player who takes care of his end first and foremost…he’s close to making this team.
19 Patrick White (LW) – scored a few goals but I’m still waiting for him to emerge as a consistent offensive option.

TEAM GOLD

29 Aidan Hughes (G) – looks like a seasoned vet…have to love his size and overall demeanour between the pipes. It’s rare for 16 year old goaltenders to play in the OHL but he might be the exception.
30 Jean-Pascal Sabourin (G) – excellent showing today…he’s not big but he gets it done.
2 Brett Banwell (LD) – confident puck mover….didn’t step out of his comfort zone but I can tell there’s more upside here…assuming he makes a Jr B squad, I think he’s poised for a big year as a puck mover.
3 Josh De Farias (LD) – appeared eager to make his mark today…was playing with lots of jump in his game….really engeged…he’s battling Black, Schlichting, O’Donnell and Sproviero for the final few spots. Really played well today.
4 Francesco Luca (LD) – not sure he’s progressed in the areas he needed to…where’s the nastiness? Skating remains a work in progress….often skates to areas where he becomes trapped with limited options. He’s still young so this will be a big year for him.
6 Jake O’Donnell (RD) – Mr. Steady Eddy back there…simple transition game…he’ll look to eat some heavy defensive minutes this year.
8 Matthew Kellenberger (RD) –NAILED in open ice and had to leave the ice (right knee injury) …the injury is unfortunate because he was one of the standouts in the opening scrimmage…he’s raw and a bit gangly (skinny off ice too) but he reads the opposition very well…hopefully he’s not sidelined too long.
9 Kevin Spinozzi (LD) - looks lighter and more mobile…jumped into offensive action quite a bit…shot looks as dangerous as ever but hitting the net will be an area to work on ;)

5 Chayse Herrfort (C; FA) – impressive free agent invite…played a simple yet effective game…understands the game well and seemed to have no problem adjusting to different linemate styles.
10 Noah Bushnell (RW) – is there another level? …flashes some nifty puck skills at times but also makes some gaffes…he’s an impact player but I keep hoping that he’ll break out
11 Jordan Kyrou (RC) – most dynamic player on the ice and he looks poised to lead Sarnia offensively this year (even if Zacha comes back)
15 Holden Hrysko (RW) - recognizes soft areas well…uses long reach in possession…well timed dishes…impressed today
16 Alex Renaud (LW) – passionate player who has come a long ways over the past two years but he still lacks puck skills to be a top six player. Ideally, Renaud should be on the 3rd line …he knows the kind of player he is and that plays to his advantage.
22 Sasha Chmelevski (C) –better in second scrimmage, holding onto puck longer and showing some deceptive puck maneuvres ( misdirection and fakes)….didn’t seem to be gripping the stick as much in the second scrimmage….really intrigued with him…appears to have good hockey sense, flashes of creativity but most importantly, he can play with top offensive options – providing puck support to keep plays alive (players like this are needed on this squad)….appeared to be coming out of his shell by the end of the day.
23 Jacob Stos (LW) – not gritty enough to play the role he needs to as a fourth line energy guy…

TEAM WHITE

35 Kaden Fulcher (G)…allowed 1GA in his start vs White (not to his fault)…sound positioning…he’s improved DRASTICALLY since his draft year…makes goaltending look easy. He’ll challenge for the backup role.
2 Cameron Babiak (D) – performed well for 2015 draftee…didn’t blow the doors off offensively but he was very sound defensively…relies on good positioning and tight gap controls….moves well…actually laid out a few guys (which was noticeable since he’s not the thickest of defenders)
3 Alex Boudreau (D) – not overly noticeable but that’s a good thing …not sure where he’ll play but he could be a solid defensive defenseman option in a years time.
4 Jakob Chychrun (LD) – did not play but we talked and he’s excited for the season…it appears he will probably suit up in a few exhibition games.
6 Jeff King (D) – status quo with Jeff King as he showed off his mobile offensive game…likely teams up with Chychrun to run the PP…scored a highlight reel shootout goal (quite amazing)
8 Connor Schlichting (D) – so nice to see him back playing (always liked him…even back in his draft year – loved the selection)…very mobile… looks strong and he’s got a calming style of game where he executes simple yet effective passes…lost time doesn’t help but he probably should be in a top four role with this team.
9 Franco Sproviero (D) – should receive long look even with lots of D…he’s the Jeff King of last season…he’s in tough due to numbers but I really like his game…so smart and efficient in a distributing role.

12 John Baker (RW) – buzzsaw forward was all over the ice…good support player always presenting himself as a passing option…chemistry player…could be the Troy Lajeuness of this training camp…smart quick touches…gets to top gear quickly…
14 Chase Campbell (RW) – underwhelmed…lacked the energy he’s shown in the past…needs to be that buzzsaw forward to warrant a spot on the roster
18 Nikita Korostelev (RW) – skating remains an issue particularly in lateral movement (rarely uses crossovers)..improved as the game went on…executed one of the filthiest shootout goals I’ve ever witnessed to end the second scrimmage.
20 Brandon Lindberg (LW) – awesome energy with lots of jump…another chemistry guy who’ll be easy to slot in as a top 9 forward
24 Ryan McGregor (C) –strength will be biggest area to work on but his speed lets him survive …highly intelligent player...progressed VERY well over his first game…good vision…wide skating base gets to top speed quickly...reminds me of a more skilled and quicker Salinitri…could improve body position to ready himself for passes and shots (simple fix)
26 Colton McKenna (LW) – good poise with the puck …adjusting to speed will be key…good quickness on a whippy snap shot…has the hands and range to earn space but he needs to exploit that when he gets it rather than wait for other options to arrive.
27 Brendan Trottier (RW) – didn’t do much to stand out from the pack

Sting Depth Chart (line combos are irrelevant)

Justin Fazio
Aidan Hughes
Kaden Fulcher

Jakob Chychrun -Josh Jacobs
Zach Core - Jeff King
Kevin Spinozzi - Jake O’Donnell
Alex Black
Josh DeFarias
Connor Schlichting

Brandon Lindberg - Jordan Kyrou - Nikita Korostelev
Troy Lajeunesse - Daniel Nikandrov - Hayden Hodgson
Patrick White - Ryan McGregor - Anthony Salinitri
Alex White - Sasha Chmelevski - Noah Bushnell
Chase Campbell

Pavel Zacha (???)

Bubble (close to duty):
D Kelton Hatcher
C Zachary Ribau
RW Holden Hrysko
RW Brendan Trottier

Nice report Dean. I attended the Black and White game and three players that appeared to have stepped it up from the afternoon session were Campbell, Salinitri and Chemelevski.
Campbell was playing a real high energy game and being a real pest. I believe he had points on the first 4 or 5 goals the White team scored . He will need to keep this up all thru the camp to make the team IMO.
Chemelevski was centering a line with Korostetelev and the rookie from Buffalo ( McKenna ?) and he looked slick . Seemed to have an instant chemistry with Korostelev and I was impressed at how well he sees the ice and how good of a playmaker he is . Skating will need some work .
Ditto for Salinitri. I thought the kid made some great plays including a hi light reel goal.

I agree with you about Ribau and Sproviero. Both these kids can play and should both get long looks at the camp. I would think Ribau might be able to take a job from one of the older 4th line players and he looks like he has big upside. I might be inclined to try Sproviero at the wing like they did with King last year, as the defence appears to be very difficult to crack this year. I would think Schlicting will become a top 4 defenceman on the team once he re establishes himself. He is NHL material IMO.

Last edited:

StungbySting

Jun 10, 2011
Sarnia
I'm shocked to see Stos over Holden Hrysko and Zach Ribau. Looks like a lot of depth on defence. This whole season comes down to if Zacha returns or not. The Sting could potentially start the season without a Euro player. Ask Don Cherry how that worked out in Missy

Canuck71*

I thought Ribau and Hrysko played well enough to warrant a longer look. Salinitri is coming along but I still come away wanting more from him. I hope he shuts me up this year, looking for a big year out of him. Really hope we get Zacha back. This could be a strong line up throughout. I love how our defence is shaping up and we could almost overpay for an OA rock on the blueline. Loving how Zach Core has come along and he looks like he could step into a prominent top 4 role.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
I'm shocked to see Stos over Holden Hrysko and Zach Ribau. Looks like a lot of depth on defence. This whole season comes down to if Zacha returns or not. The Sting could potentially start the season without a Euro player. Ask Don Cherry how that worked out in Missy

worked out fine for Erie last season.

Although I do agree Zacha coming back will make a huge difference.

jwalk

Mar 25, 2006
AJAX
Bit of a tough one to open the pre season in London last night as the Sting were totally outplayed by the Knights last night. THe only real bright spot was the play of the rookie goalie Aidan Hughes who settled down and played great after letting in the first shot he faced as an OHL goalie. THe other goalie Shayne Battler also played well but was left out to dry and a number of occasions by the Sting who played horrible defensively the whole game.

Surprisingly, some of the players who are fighting for jobs were almost invisible last night. Won't name names but some of these guys maybe left out in the cold when the final cuts come if they continue to play like that in the pre season. THe one line that did impress a bit was Lajeunesse , Bushnell, and Stos. At least they were engaged and threw the body around a bit and won some puck battles. Strangely, Hatcher didnt seem to play them a whole lot . That was puzzling. The only other player that impressed a bit was a Kyrou . Other than Hughes he was the best player on the ice for the Sting.

The defence as a group played pretty badly. The absence of players like Chychrun, Jacobs, and Core is glaringly obvious when you play a team as good as the Knights. These guys will eat up big minutes and are badly needed against top end offensive teams.
The one guy who I think is a top end offensive talent is Sproviero . Would like to see the Sting find a spot for him as I believe he has more offensive talent than a lot of the forwards battling for jobs. Can't see him making it as a defenceman though.

One pre season game can't tell you a whole lot except that if you want to play against the top end teams you can't be mailing it in and playing one period of hockey. Hopefully, we will see a much better effort tonight.

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
Just picked up tix for Jan 2 vs the Knights.

Just remember that London only visits 3 times in the regular season.

Also Jan 21 & Feb 13

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
Sting prospect Shane Battler won his first Junior B game for Sarnia making 35 saves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad