Injury Report: Santorelli has shoulder surgery; will miss remainder of season.

Wolfhard

Jul 7, 2012
BC
I simply don't believe in hoping for a top ten pick(unless we're already cellar dwellers), I would rather believe that every team in the playoffs has a shot at winning in spite of everyone thinking they don't have a chance.

Besides, top 10 pick doesn't mean **** especially in a weak draft, top 5 would be interesting but I wouldn't want to watch my team lose that many games.

Playoff's > Top 10 pick

I'm with you. The right kind of team with the right mindset can surprise a lot of other teams in the playoffs. Getting there is what gives you the cards to play with.

Besides. There's always upsets. And it doesn't always have to be us doing the upsetting. Sometimes the road just gets paved for a team.

Not to mention that this team doesn't have the best Draft history. I'll take a slight chance at a cup over a slighter chance to Draft a substantial player.

The only place I don't want to be is 1 or 2 spots out of the playoffs, which would give us around the 20th pick in the Draft, with no hope for a cup

Basso

Dec 11, 2008
All it cost Martin Hanzal to injure three Canucks was $5k, with the bonus of Santorelli's injury tearing up his shoulder. Good value for money.

Are the Arizona Yotes still owned by the NHL? If so that's money for the owners ;)

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
I'm with you. The right kind of team with the right mindset can surprise a lot of other teams in the playoffs. Getting there is what gives you the cards to play with.

Besides. There's always upsets. And it doesn't always have to be us doing the upsetting. Sometimes the road just gets paved for a team.

Not to mention that this team doesn't have the best Draft history. I'll take a slight chance at a cup over a slighter chance to Draft a substantial player.

The only place I don't want to be is 1 or 2 spots out of the playoffs, which would give us around the 20th pick in the Draft, with no hope for a cup

What?

Missing the playoffs by 1 or 2 spots would give us anywhere from 9-12th overall. New Jersey doesn't have a first rounder this year.

The 16 teams that make the post season occupy spots 14-30. (Well with Jersey having to forfeit their pick it will be 13-29).

Phrazer

Apr 2, 2008
Cairns
What?

Missing the playoffs by 1 or 2 spots would give us anywhere from 9-12th overall. New Jersey doesn't have a first rounder this year.

The 16 teams that make the post season occupy spots 14-30. (Well with Jersey having to forfeit their pick it will be 13-29).
Actually the draft lottery format changed this year. Every team that misses the playoffs has at least a small chance of moving up to the 1st overall pick. But I feel that its important for me to state that by no means am I advocating missing the playoffs as a "good strategy" here.

Wolfhard

Jul 7, 2012
BC
What?

Does it go by standings or separate playoff from non-playoff teams? I was looking at the fact that the team that misses in the west, is still better than most of the teams that make it in the east. I haven't researched that recently.

Regardless, I just feel like you don't rebuild until you're out anyways. I don't like the idea of giving up a shot at the cup, just because you're not a favorite. This team has made the finals 3 times. 2 of them, we were the underdog. The one that came closest to winning was an underdog, 8th seed that barely made it in.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
I ****ing called it, I knew it. Nobody would be THAT quiet if it was not a season ending injury.

Monster blow to vancouver

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
Does it go by standings or separate playoff from non-playoff teams? I was looking at the fact that the team that misses in the west, is still better than most of the teams that make it in the east. I haven't researched that recently.

Regardless, I just feel like you don't rebuild until you're out anyways. I don't like the idea of giving up a shot at the cup, just because you're not a favorite. This team has made the finals 3 times. 2 of them, we were the underdog. The one that came closest to winning was an underdog, 8th seed that barely made it in.

It goes by playoffs standings, yes. And then I believe it is based on points in two groups (playoffs teams and non-playoffs teams).

Wolfhard

Jul 7, 2012
BC
It goes by playoffs standings, yes. And then I believe it is based on points in two groups (playoffs teams and non-playoffs teams).

So missing by 1 spot would put us around 12-14.

My feelings still stand though. If we're on the cusp, and still able to get in, you go for it. Not saying you sell picks or prospects to make a run, but you don't "sell" veterans and throw in the towel unless you're out anyways.

If we can get in, go for it. If we're out anyways, sell and rebuild. But there's too many spoiled fans wanting to sell just because we're not a favorite.

Caspian

Jun 3, 2006
Why do people continue to perpetuate that tanking is a good idea? I would rather make the playoffs as the 8th seed than get the 10th overall pick.

Tanking has worked out oh so well for Edmonton right?

Even if we get a pick in the 5-10 range that pick is still a huge wildcard and may not benefit the team at all. Why waste an entire year hoping that you get lucky and draft ONE decent player.

Unless the player you're getting is a franchise player (ie: crosby, tavares, stamkos, etc) tanking is an absolute waste of time. The 2014 draft doesn't appear to have anyone franchise worthy.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
So missing by 1 spot would put us around 12-14.

My feelings still stand though. If we're on the cusp, and still able to get in, you go for it. Not saying you sell picks or prospects to make a run, but you don't "sell" veterans and throw in the towel unless you're out anyways.

If we can get in, go for it. If we're out anyways, sell and rebuild. But there's too many spoiled fans wanting to sell just because we're not a favorite.

No, I agree with you. I was just correcting the draft structure issue.

And it would be 11-13 this year, New Jersey has to forfeit their 1st rounder due to the Kovalchuk contract penalty. The first round will be picks 1-29.

Shorthander

Apr 2, 2011
Why do people continue to perpetuate that tanking is a good idea? I would rather make the playoffs as the 8th seed than get the 10th overall pick.

Tanking has worked out oh so well for Edmonton right?

Even if we get a pick in the 5-10 range that pick is still a huge wildcard and may not benefit the team at all. Why waste an entire year hoping that you get lucky and draft ONE decent player.

Unless the player you're getting is a franchise player (ie: crosby, tavares, stamkos, etc) tanking is an absolute waste of time. The 2014 draft doesn't appear to have anyone franchise worthy.

I agree, this draft looks weak and even if it isn't, many of the high ranked prospects are not going to be NHL ready (lots of them under 180 lbs) so they won't be making an impact for us anytime soon. It's more valuable to make the playoffs and maintain some semblance of a winning culture in this city.

Phrazer

Apr 2, 2008
Cairns
No, I agree with you. I was just correcting the draft structure issue.

And it would be 11-13 this year, New Jersey has to forfeit their 1st rounder due to the Kovalchuk contract penalty. The first round will be picks 1-29.
Assuming New Jersey doesn't make the playoffs.

Phrazer

Apr 2, 2008
Cairns
The first round will be picks 1 through 29.

Sixteen teams make the playoffs: 29-16 = 13

It's a penalty for them circumventing the cap, it doesn't matter where they pick.
The draft goes from the bottom up. So if 14 teams miss the playoffs that aren't new jersey they get the top 14 picks in the draft, not 13. Any team that finishes higher as in further in the playoffs than new jersey, would get slotted up a spot.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
The draft goes from the bottom up. So if 14 teams miss the playoffs that aren't new jersey they get the top 14 picks in the draft, not 13. Any team that finishes higher as in further in the playoffs than new jersey, would get slotted up a spot.

Ahhh, you might be right. I read the structure I was stating from an article written around the draft last season.

Can't brain today, I have the dumb.

Anyhow, I find it doubtful that Jersey will make the post season.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
That is too bad.
He is having what looks to be a career year on a league minimum contract.
I feel for the guy.

I do hope the Canucks do reward him for his effort though.
He definitely belongs...
And he deserves a raise.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
agreed, wouldn't give him a multi year contract.

Depends on the price. 2 or 3 years x $1m would be a no brainer because if he stays at NHL you get great value, if he flops his entire cap hit is hidden. Even 2 years at $1.5m, that'll be only about $500K penalty in the minors but more than likely he wouldn't pass through waivers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad