Injury Report: Santorelli has shoulder surgery; will miss remainder of season.

John Bender*

Ugh. Now I'd only be interested in giving him a 1 year extension. I wanted to see if he could play well for a full season + playoffs before considering giving him a multi-year contract.

Nah, he deserves a multi-year deal. Maybe something along the lines of what Hansen got? He's a good skater, hard worker, has some offensive flair and is from Vancouver. He's one of the few skill guys on the team that you can put out in a shootout and depend on him to not look like a complete fool.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Hopefully the injury means we can re-sign Santorelli for around 1-1.5 million next season. That's about the only silver lining.

Him out is a huge blow. Basically losing a top-six RW/C.

John Bender*

Perhaps he'll come back for the 2014 SCF:

"Mikey! Mikey! MIkey!"

I can hear it already.

Fire Gillis. Promote Gilman.

BoHorvatFan

Dec 13, 2009
Vancouver
I don't think one good HALF season is worth a big multi year deal. We don't even know how he'll hold up over a full season if healthy. He was a nice surprise but only because of our awful depth. If Santo is relied on the same way next season it means we've done nothing to improve and that will be very sad.

VanCanucks53

Jul 6, 2007
Calgary
Damn that sucks. Was expecting it though. There were rumors of him being out for the rest of the reason.

I do think most of you are overrating his presence on the team. He has been dynamite and one of our better players but it's not like he was carrying this team on his back. Is he really the difference between being a good playoff team and being "done" as you say? That's pretty darn sad if so.

John Bender*

ON the bright side, at least this will all be good news to Johnny Canucker

bure 96

Sep 6, 2013
Bold prediction: The Canucks are expected to play like chumps now with all the injuries. There's no pressure, so they go on a really good run into the Olympic break. Something like 4-1 on the road trip.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
Would only give him a 1 year deal. Then deal him at the deadline if the team has a poor year and go with Horvat and youth the following season.

No multi-year deal for you Santo!

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Dont completely agree with botch entirely but he seems to think this injury helps our chances of resigning him. I think hes getting a little to ahead of himself as to santo's value and the want for him around the league, but food for thought.

Jason Botchford ‏@botchford 7h
@***** the way it was going, he wasn't coming back. Actually more likely now. Where else is he going to go?

Jason Botchford ‏@botchford 7h
@***** give Em $8m over 4 and call it hometown discount

Jason Botchford ‏@botchford 6h
******** his agent will have a great case. He'll end up with more points than jannik playing half a season

Its interesting varying opinions on what his worth is and his worth would be to other teams on the trade market.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
Soft, undersized players that can put up 45 points rarely get paid in free agency. Especially if they don't have a long track record of success.

I don't think anyone offers Santorelli more than 2 years if he hits July 1st...

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
I agree although i wouldnt call him soft. He worked pretty hard in corners and gritty area's.

I just dont see as high of demand for him like botch thinks. Im sure if he hits free agency someone will take a chance given the poor fa pool, and higher cap, which is why I think gillis should try to get him done cheap before then, but i dont see any gm offering him a long term deal either. He also bounced around the league which are not great optics either and is coming off shoulder surgery. Then again didnt oilers did give boyd gordon 3 million long term deal, some idiot gm's are the risk.

Raymond actually could be a good example from gillis point of view, when he hit free agency he was lucky to get a PTO, although the cap was down last year.

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
Soft, undersized players that can put up 45 points rarely get paid in free agency. Especially if they don't have a long track record of success.

only a desperate team would offer a guy coming off major shoulder surgery a multi year deal. He needs some stability (joining another organization could put him behind the 8 ball specially coming off shoulder injury where he's likely to lose his job if he's not great in training camp) but if he wants a long term deal he needs to sign a 1yr deal and prove for longer than 50 games that he is worthy of it. History is not on his side after he bombed in Florida following a good season. I like Santo but he still has a lot to prove and tying up another 2.5 in cap space long term seems rather premature.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I don't think one good HALF season is worth a big multi year deal. We don't even know how he'll hold up over a full season if healthy. He was a nice surprise but only because of our awful depth. If Santo is relied on the same way next season it means we've done nothing to improve and that will be very sad.

Agreed.

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve

i

SighReally

Sep 6, 2011
Honestly I could see a team taking a gamble and offering him a one year contract at 2.5 mil+.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Honestly I could see a team taking a gamble and offering him a one year contract at 2.5 mil+.

There are a tonne of goal starved teams out there that would easily take a gamble on Santo. Dallas, Phoenix, Nashville.... LA.

That would suck a lot if Santo joined LA.... big time suck.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
There are a tonne of goal starved teams out there that would easily take a gamble on Santo. Dallas, Phoenix, Nashville.... LA.

That would suck a lot if Santo joined LA.... big time suck.

Doesn't seem like an LA type player. Phx, Dallas, Calgary, Edmonton, Jets, etc plenty of potential teams.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
his playoff run got him that contract

Small sample size, same as Santo's small sample size of good play this year. You have to wonder if Philly are still happy with the Mason contract they signed based of a small sample size.

Last edited:

erik19

May 1, 2006
This thread is tough to read. Yes Santorelli was great for half a season but it's not the end of the world. He overperfomed on a bargain 2-way deal but that's not reason to tank now that he's hurt.

Schroeder still has a higher ceiling than Santo, IMO. Once Hank comes back it's Hank-Kes-Schroeds down the middle with Richardson on the 4th and that's still decent centre depth. It woulda been great to have another option at C especially since Santo can play the wing but this hardly a dagger in the Canucks. It's up to other, non-lesser players to decide their fate this year, namely Danny, Hank, Kes, Burr... and if Kass and Schroeds step up then up then all the better...

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
If some teams wants to give Santorelli a multi-year contract, the Canucks should ensure they are not that team.

Teams don't contend by giving bargain basement players multi-year deals.

Santorelli has been an excellent surprise this year, but after a serious injury, he would represent an extreme risk going forward for multiple years.

The Canucks need to develop their own bottom 6 guys so that they don't need to go to the UFA market to fill those spots with lesser, but more expensive players.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Nah, he deserves a multi-year deal. Maybe something along the lines of what Hansen got? He's a good skater, hard worker, has some offensive flair and is from Vancouver. He's one of the few skill guys on the team that you can put out in a shootout and depend on him to not look like a complete fool.

And what if this shoulder injury has lingering complications that slow Santorelli down? While 2.5M is rapidly becoming chump change in the new cap era, we are not quite at the point where risking even that amount on someone who could be regulated to the fourth line is viable, not unless depth pushes him down the line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad