Injury Report: Santorelli has shoulder surgery; will miss remainder of season.

BrandonL

Jun 18, 2012
Awful break, you couldn't help but root for Santorelli.

As for his future, I would definitely do 2 years at $1.5 million per or 1 year at 1.75 million

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
It's been a good streak of play-off showings, there is absolutely no shame in throwing in the towel and regrouping for next year and those beyond.

I agree, we should sell.

Wolfhard

Jul 7, 2012
BC
It's been a good streak of play-off showings, there is absolutely no shame in throwing in the towel and regrouping for next year and those beyond.

I agree, we should sell.

I don't understand this. Someone needs to make a poll haha.

Btw, I agree on resigning Santo. I said to someone earlier today that I'd love to have him back next year at 1-1.5. Though even with the injury, he could probably get more elsewhere

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
To be honest if i was gillis I would try to get him signed this season yet preferably on a year or two year deal, in a weak free agency pool and a cap going up, some team (oilers?flames?) would likely take a chance on him and overpay.

This is one situation i hope gillis is not patient with, right now he has no leverage but if he starts eyeing free agency one team out west might be willing to take a shot at him. He's surely impressed a few teams hes played against, fans of other teams have commented on how good hes looked, surely gm's seen it as well.

I could be wrong, nobody even wanted raymond but I assume it had more to do with the cap, and i also think santorelli is a more well rounded player. I would like him back next year and wouldnt want another team getting designs on signing him close to free agency.

Have to think if botchford was accurate and surgery was inevitable and the canucks continuing to try to get more opinions to avoid surgery is a good sign what he means to management and the team.

Last edited:

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
I'd sign him to a cheap 2 year deal as well. $1.5 MM wouldn't really affect our cap situation and would reflect of his lack of durability.

I hope this forces Gillis' hand to make this a rebuilding year.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
I simply don't believe in hoping for a top ten pick(unless we're already cellar dwellers), I would rather believe that every team in the playoffs has a shot at winning in spite of everyone thinking they don't have a chance.

Sorry but you're delusional, one look at this lineup it's clear Stanley cup is not happening. This isn't the 8th place kings roster coming together to win in the postseason.

Missing the playoffs is the best possible option for this franchise. Might not like it, but the options it opens might make the SCF possible in a couple short years.

ugghhh

Apr 17, 2009
Awful break, you couldn't help but root for Santorelli.

As for his future, I would definitely do 2 years at $1.5 million per or 1 year at 1.75 million

I was thinking the same, and I think that sounds fair, but with the increase in cap I wouldn't be surprised to see those numbers inflated by 250-500k.

I wouldn't do 2 years unless the cap hit was significantly lower (500k), and I think you want him to stay hungry on a one year deal to prove himself again.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Id wait to see how santo rehabs his shoulder before re upping frankly.

It was reported it was a successful surgery and suppose to make full recovery, we really wont know fully until we watch him play in the season, its a small risk i would take signing him before he can hit free agency (provided we can get a short term and small cap hit).

If you wait to see how he rehabs we will be into free agency and he may go elsewhere by then. Hes out of commission for 6 months. I would personally take my chances and try to get him signed to a cheap short term deal before FA when he has little leverage and hope he looks as good next season as he did this season.

Last edited:

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I'd be willing to up his current salary because the guy damn well earned it, but I wouldn't go above 1.5M, and it would be for one year. Love ya, Santo, but Booth has soured us all on taking that gamble again.

That being said, if we could get him for 1-1.5M, then re-sign him the following year. Well, it does offer much more flexibility. Silver lining.

That's pretty much what I was thinking. Santorelli signed at minimum this season to prove that he could earn a contract. And he was doing good but unfortunately for him the injury won't allow him to show the consistency to earn say a 3 year deal, either from the Canucks or someone else. With more breathing space under the cap though he earned a more respectable 1-year contract from the Canucks to prove himself again.

scramboni

Jan 24, 2014
Fraser Valley
This is devastating news for this season. On top of all the other injuries (Henrik, Bieksa, Tanev) it may time for MG to consider moving one of the no-trade clauses even if it means breaking that trust between the player. Make a deal for the future, and bring in some youth that can help down the road as this team begins a face-lift.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
Ouch. Santo has been the best player on the team thus far, especially on expectations.

Such a strange position... really close to be completely out of it or climbing right back into it.

That ugly powerplay is still why I think there's no chance.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Huge loss. I believe this will be felt a lot harder than most may think. He has been a hard working player for this team all season.

Soups On

Apr 27, 2012
I feel really bad for Santo. He signs for dirt, plays in his hometown and makes a name for himself and now injured. Gillis has gotta offer him a 1 year contract extension for 1.5-2 million. If Booths being bought out or traded for scraps, there is more than enough cap room.

Type Not Specified

Part of the process
Oct 1, 2010
Vancouver
A good half season doesn't warrant a 1 million dollar raise...

It doesn't matter what anyone thinks is "warranted"... a player's salary will depend on the salary cap and what other teams are willing to pay. The cap will be going up considerably next year and the UFA market will be limited, so we're likely to see a lot of players signed to contracts that appear to be too large.

ionicbluebird

Apr 18, 2012
I'd definitely resign Santo for 1 year, 2M.. maybe even 2.5M. I mean.. he was our best forward while he was playing. Maybe even 2 years at 2.5M per.

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
I'd definitely resign Santo for 1 year, 2M.. maybe even 2.5M. I mean.. he was our best forward while he was playing. Maybe even 2 years at 2.5M per.

Not coming off shoulder surgery. if he wants a multi year deal he's not getting more than 1.5. best bet for him would be to sign a 1 yr deal and show he is capable of producing consistenly over a full season.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Hanzal wrecks three guys and destroys the season of one of the most valuable franchises in the sport and is fined $5000.

Canuck coach raises voice in arena and is suspended two weeks.

The baseball guy was right, the NHL is kind of a joke.

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
What?

Missing the playoffs by 1 or 2 spots would give us anywhere from 9-12th overall. New Jersey doesn't have a first rounder this year.

The 16 teams that make the post season occupy spots 14-30. (Well with Jersey having to forfeit their pick it will be 13-29).

16 teams that make the playoffs draft 15-30. 14-30 (or 13-29) is 17 teams.

Hyack57

Aug 6, 2004
Airdrie, AB
You guys are making the draft layout overly complex.

If NJ makes the playoffs, then 14 teams are up for the lottery

If NJ misses the playoffs, then 13 teams are up for the lottery.

bure 96

Sep 6, 2013
There's a game against PHX in March. Assuming these two teams are still fighting for a wildcard spot at that time (or even if not), I want to see Hanzal, Vermette, OEL, etc get crosschecked under the arm all game long.

Hopefully we can injure a couple of them. These obviously aren't suspendable checks since Hanzal only get his fine for a crosscheck to the head and not the other dirty crosschecks.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Ouch. Santo has been the best player on the team thus far, especially on expectations.

Such a strange position... really close to be completely out of it or climbing right back into it.

That ugly powerplay is still why I think there's no chance.

Santo disappeared around Christmas with the rest of the team (1g 0a -6 in the last 9 games, 2g 0a -5 in the last 12). For a guy with consistency issues I wouldn't want to go all in on a couple of hot months early in the season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->