Injury Report: Santorelli has shoulder surgery; will miss remainder of season.

Wolfhard

Jul 7, 2012
BC
https://twitter.com/TEAM1040/status/429300197655842816

Smart man, wait for the guy to suffer a season ending injury before starting contract talks. Keeping the cap hit low. Genius.

(no but seriously, this injury could end up saving the Canucks a bit of money when it comes to re-signing Santo)

Seems like it really might work in our favour. They wouldn't talk contract until he'd proven he could maintain his play all season, and into playoffs.

Then he gets injured while in a cold stretch. So he's basically showed very well, but not proven enough to get a healthy contract. Still worth a raise, but certainly cheaper than if he managed 20 goals and 50 points, plus a decent playoff showing.

Last edited:

Kickassguy

High-End Intangible
Sep 24, 2002
Vancouver + NYC
In an ideal world, Mike Santorelli centers a (relatively) skilled 4th line, between Richardson and Sestito/Weise (or a draft pick like Fox or Gaunce). Perfect swing guy to soak up 3rd line, or even top 6, ice time in a pinch.

But not in the top 6 of a contender.

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
The point is some idiot GM (Snow, Sather) will gladly overpay to get him. Also this year's crop of UFA's is pretty bad, so it's likely he can get a longer, more lucrative deal somewhere else.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
In an ideal world, Mike Santorelli centers a (relatively) skilled 4th line, between Richardson and Sestito/Weise (or a draft pick like Fox or Gaunce). Perfect swing guy to soak up 3rd line, or even top 6, ice time in a pinch.

But not in the top 6 of a contender.

Pretty much this, that being said he has probably earned a 2 or 3 contract with decent money, say 5-6 million total over 6 years.

Kickassguy

High-End Intangible
Sep 24, 2002
Vancouver + NYC
4th line centre? You guys are nuts.

Contenders need luxuries on their fourth line, and Santorelli is a perfect luxury player. Slot him on line 2 or 3 and one injury in the top 9 affects your depth pretty significantly. He's in a position where we could capitalize on signing him as a luxury guy, then have a double digit minutes 4th line and a great utility guy for top 9 patchwork. His career doesn't scream top 9 consistency so I wouldn't want to sign him with that intent.

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
Contenders need luxuries on their fourth line, and Santorelli is a perfect luxury player. Slot him on line 2 or 3 and one injury in the top 9 affects your depth pretty significantly. He's in a position where we could capitalize on signing him as a luxury guy, then have a double digit minutes 4th line and a great utility guy for top 9 patchwork. His career doesn't scream top 9 consistency so I wouldn't want to sign him with that intent.

We aren't even close to being a contender though. He plays well with Kesler so put him there and maximize his value. Burrows was on a super cheap contract for a few years while playing on the number 1 line. Get Santorelli on the cheap and play him with kes on the 2nd line. If he slips a bit, put him on the 3rd. We just aren't that good of a team anymore though and I don't mind him on the 2nd line.

We are lucky enough that we have quite a few players that took a discount to play on this team. Now, there will be even fewer players that are willing to sign for a discount to play for this team. I'm not sure what is going to happen with these guys right now. I'm sure there will be a few of them asking to be traded.

Last edited:

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
Tough break for Santo, but possibly a good break for the Canucks this summer. I'd like to see Santo as the 3rd line C/W option. He can play on the 2nd line as well if necessary, but I want as many C's as possible on this team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad