Recalled/Assigned: Sandin is up

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
I can only imagine how mad you are about the ELC years of Matthews and Marner that Lou burned.
Completely different situation. Lou didn't have us handcuffed with the cap. And bringing up guys like that can have a far greater chance of instant impact vs rookie dmen. If he burns their ELCs his entire plan failed. Ceci, Barrie, getting rid of Hainsey.....Muzzin (but i don't mind muz) all his doing. He put us in cap hell and now has to bring up 2 rookie dmen and burn their ELCs which are super valuable considering our cap situation.....to fix his mistakes?

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Finally.

Sandin is probably our 4th best player on the backend after rielly(despite not being himself for so long) Barrie and dermott. Think he will be a clearly better player than holl by the end of the season.

Marincin is the worst of our 6 currently playing. He has been replaced by a high end player with skills that can help the team.

Need to replace Ceci who while not as big of a scrub as Marincin is still a overpaid number 6 defender. Lilijgren should be coming hopefully as well soon.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Who cares about burning a year, it’s pure madness to think you can inject two rookie D men next year and be successful. Get the kids some time NOW.

Now move Barrie and bring up Lil.

The only way it's going to work is if we had 2 stud experienced D-men to pair with them - which we don't.

If 4 of our defensemen going into next year are Sandin, Liljegren, Dermott, and Holl, we are in massive trouble, that's way too inexperienced of a defense core.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
What’s the alternative? You really want to start next year with two greenhorns on D? At least get one in here and there, we need to get these kids some seasoning because the Dubas cap structure almost demands they play full time next year.
I don't know man. Bringing up Sandin is the right call for the situation. But we're in this situation because teh GM thought Barrie and Ceci would take us to the promise land :p We all questioned the d core Dubas created to start the season. It's just another example of horrific asset management by our GM. We're handcuffed cap wise cause he hands out money like candy...and when that doesn't work he now has to burn through assets in an attempt to fix it. It's juts plain horrible management

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Unless I'm missing something, I don't see the issue in burning the first year of his ELC if he stays up and plays.

Based on his trajectory and potentional, I'd prefer to lock in him into his next deal after only 2 full seasons (+ whatever he plays this season) rather than waiting to see what he looks like after 3+.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Completely different situation. Lou didn't have us handcuffed with the cap. And bringing up guys like that can have a far greater chance of instant impact vs rookie dmen. If he burns their ELCs his entire plan failed. Ceci, Barrie, getting rid of Hainsey.....Muzzin (but i don't mind muz) all his doing. He put us in cap hell and now has to bring up 2 rookie dmen and burn their ELCs which are super valuable considering our cap situation.....to fix his mistakes?
Lilijrens ELC has already started so of we are assuming that the two rookies actual production is worth less than having to pay them a bit sooner( probably gonna be a bridge for both as sandin will only have 2 full years of NHL play some change this year and lilijgren the same while he will prob have lower point totals due to lack of pp time) than it's only one ELC being burned.

I think sandin and lilijgren if he gets the call up(deservedly) will far outplay their contract this year and stabilize our bottom pair until muzzin is brought back.

You should never hold players back because of cap reasons. If they have areas to improve in minors/juniors etc than yes the ELC is important. If dubas/keefe believe that these two are ready for 16-17 minutes at the NHL than they should be up. We can worry about making the cap work in 3 years.

Papi 4 Hart

Nov 9, 2018
We seem to care about burning a year and rightfully so because we need cheap labour to win. But we also need cheap labour to win NOW.

Reactions: Sundinisagod

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
Unless I'm missing something, I don't see the issue in burning the first year of his ELC if he stays up and plays.

Based on his trajectory and potentional, I'd prefer to lock in him into his next deal after only 2 full seasons (+ whatever he plays this season) rather than waiting to see what he looks like after 3+.
we have to resign like all the blue line next year. When you're in our cap situations an ELC becomes very valuable. You better think we can make a run if you're gonna burn it this year. Unfortunately his first plan was that :)

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
Lilijrens ELC has already started so of we are assuming that the two rookies actual production is worth less than having to pay them a bit sooner( probably gonna be a bridge for both as sandin will only have 2 full years of NHL play some change this year and lilijgren the same while he will prob have lower point totals due to lack of pp time) than it's only one ELC being burned.

I think sandin and lilijgren if he gets the call up(deservedly) will far outplay their contract this year and stabilize our bottom pair until muzzin is brought back.

You should never hold players back because of cap reasons. If they have areas to improve in minors/juniors etc than yes the ELC is important. If dubas/keefe believe that these two are ready for 16-17 minutes at the NHL than they should be up. We can worry about making the cap work in 3 years.
Really? You think 2 rookies are the solution to our defensive problems? Both good players but that's asking alot

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
The only way it's going to work is if we had 2 stud experienced D-men to pair with them - which we don't.

If 4 of our defensemen going into next year are Sandin, Liljegren, Dermott, and Holl, we are in massive trouble, that's way too inexperienced of a defense core.
Sure looks like your second paragraph is reality, all four will be required.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Hainsey for 2 million is looking so good right now :)

Hainsey is making 3.5 million right now. We had no way of getting him back. He wanted to much cash. We can only fit this team barely under the cap with Barrie making 2.75 million. Despite Barrie being atrocious at defense he has good offensive skills and is still a better player than hainsey is rn. Hainsey was getting feasted on by bergeron/rat/pasta the past two years. Nothing would have changed if we brought him back.

We need to find a better fit for the top pair than Barrie who is young enough to play with Mo long term.

Hainsey is a used, peeling bandaid bot a difference maker.

Reactions: cipher

FlatIron

Sep 27, 2017
Montreal
I don't know man. Bringing up Sandin is the right call for the situation. But we're in this situation because teh GM thought Barrie and Ceci would take us to the promise land :p We all questioned the d core Dubas created to start the season. It's just another example of horrific asset management by our GM. We're handcuffed cap wise cause he hands out money like candy...and when that doesn't work he now has to burn through assets in an attempt to fix it. It's juts plain horrible management

Dubas is as bad as Bergevin here in Montreal, our idiot just hordes the cash for ownership and doesn't spend it.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Not a good move to burn the year if that is their plan. He's not ready for that. He's still making far too many mistakes in the AHL, and they are the same mistakes that are plaguing the Leafs right now.

If you want to give him the last three games of this week to see what he has got, then go ahead, but he should not see 10 games this year. Liljegren should be the one getting exposed to the NHL right now, because he's going to be in the NHL 100% next year. There should still be doubts about Sandin making it.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Really? You think 2 rookies are the solution to our defensive problems? Both good players but that's asking alot
The defensive issues start from the team as a whole.

Anderseive sucking, the forwards cheating and not coming back to support, bad pinches and reads. These factors are pretty much reversible things of the players decide to buy into a proper defensive system. We played shutdown hockey against the isles. We have had great defensive outings before.

Muzzin going down and holl starting to suck(same for Ceci becoming worse the past 3 games) and Marincin showing his true colors have us playing porous defense.

Lilijgren is being recognized as a smart defender with good positioning and luck moving ability. I think he can play tougher assignments than Marincin for sure. Marincins biggest weakness is he panicks when there is pressure being applied and loses the puck in high dangerous areas. I think lilijgren and sandin can control the opposing teams forecheck better than Marincin for sure.

Reactions: yubbers

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
I cant see any reason why they recalled him now if they werent ready to.keep him up. Looking forward to seeing how fast he adapts.

Does anyone know how many minutes he was averaging with the Marlies?

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
How do we afford Pietrangelo though, he's gonna fetch 9M plus. Also i don't get why he would leave the Blues, it's not like he's on a bad team, i think he stays in St.Louis. Assume we did sign him, how many pieces are we getting rid of to fit him on the roster ? we'd have like 40M tied up in 4 players, almost 50M in 5 if we include Nylander.

Pieterangelo + Lil + Sandin combined will be making roughly what Ceci+Muzzin+Barrie (50% retained) are making this year.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
He put us in cap hell and now has to bring up 2 rookie dmen and burn their ELCs which are super valuable considering our cap situation.....to fix his mistakes?

He has only called up one D-man so far. A D who Bobby Mac said was the Leafs' 2nd or 3rd best D some games during the 6 game try out at the start of the season. Lilly loses a year this year regardless.

Boston burned ELCs for both Carlo and McAvoy in 2016/17. Probably resulted in them getting cheaper 2nd contracts for both.

I was opposed to bringing him up right now (although it has nothing to do with being concerned about burning an ELC year which I have always thought was a ridiculous concern and one that GMs don't care about, but fans have fainting spells over).

Reactions: yubbers

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I don't think you're following Sandin all that closely...

Watch what he's been doing in the AHL. There is still a lot of work that needs to be done for him to be ready for next year. He can be passable at best right now, and we are not burning an ELC year and wasting development time for passable at best.

If we spend the rest of this AHL year developing him properly, he should be ready for next year. There should still be doubts, and the Leafs will definitely need to invest in another top 4 AHLer who can handle a full time role in the NHL if necessary, but Sandin should be ready for next year.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
You guys have too many offensive type defensemen, that's part of the issue. You need two bruisers back there.

Yes, and no.... I mean, Muzzin is supposed to be a bruiser, but really hasn't been that much of one for us.... but what we need, is one solid guy, who can parter up with Reilly, and is strong defensively. If he's a bruiser, all the better. He needs to be a RHD.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad