Sandin-Brannstrom

Who do you take going forward

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
I think Brannstrom has a higher ceiling but more bust potential than Sandin. Given how young both players are and with neither showing anything to reasonably suggest they'll bust at this point, I have to go Brannstrom. As a Leafs fan, I really like Sandin and he's been outplaying his expectations since the moment he's been drafted so we'll see how things play out.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
both guys will be good top-4 defenseman as soon as next season. Brannstrom has a higher ceiling but the Leafs likely lose Reilly to F/A and rightly or wrongly make Sandin their #1 because of it so he'll get more opportunities than Brannstrom because of it.

Close call here, I could go either way.
But I go Brannstrom since I had him in my top-10 before the 2017 draft.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Read it slowly one more time.

One is a prospects list -- guys who ain't NHL players -- U23 with less than 25 games.

The other is every hockey player under-23. The only criteria is age.

They're ranking two different things. Did you not notice the first two guys on the list have +150 games??? I mean the names "Dalhlin and Pettersson" are literally in the link you posted. You think those guys are prospects? Do you even know who they are? When you tried to spike the football just now, did that occur to you?

You're trying to compare apples to oranges and I tried to go easy on you three times but I'm sorry to have to spell it out and embarrass you.

Unfortunately you proved a little bit,so I dug deeper below,
I guess you didn’t read the part where I said both lists are U23, how the hell do you think Kaprisov got on your list.

So digging deeper,
Both are U23
Your list has a maximum of 50 games played,
The difference is Pronman removed the 50 games played part, he tweaks his qualifications seems most years.
So I guess if you want apples to apples remove any player with more than 50 games, that is about 15 players.

So that moves Sandin up to 56th and Brannstrom to 39th.
Thanks enjoy your day.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
I guess you didn’t read the part where I said both lists are U23, how the hell do you think Kaprisov got on your list.

So digging deeper,
Both are U23
The difference is Pronman removed the 50 games played part, he tweaks his qualifications seems most years.
So I guess if you want apples to apples remove any player with more than 50 games, that is about 15 players.

Thanks enjoy your day.

Still wrong. Lol

Benttheknee

Jun 18, 2005
Ottawa
Earlier in the season I would have picked Sandin, but at the end of the season, Brannstrom proved he should have a strong NHL career ahead of him.

Yackiberg8

Mar 11, 2016
Halifax

So digging deeper,
Both are U23

Thanks enjoy your day.
Tough look for you buddy. Just admit you didn't know what you were talking about and move on.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Tough look for you buddy. Just admit you didn't know what you were talking about and move on.

What’s tough about it, remove 15 players that have played more than 50 games and both lists have the same qualifications by the same author, 1 year apart.
It’s not a hard concept to grasp. Lafreniere is 3rd..
If you don’t have the Athletic , can’t help you.

Yackiberg8

Mar 11, 2016
Halifax
What’s tough about it, remove 15 players that have played more than 50 games and both lists have the same qualifications by the same author, 1 year apart.
It’s not a hard concept to grasp. Lafreniere is 3rd..
If you don’t have the Athletic , can’t help you.
You continued to state that Sandin fell from 10th to 71st when one list included experienced NHLers and one didn't lol.

I'm not even sure the point you are trying to prove, Brannstrom is better because he's higher on Pronman's list from January?

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
You continued to state that Sandin fell from 10th to 71st when one list included experienced NHLers and one didn't lol.

I'm not even sure the point you are trying to prove, Brannstrom is better because he's higher on Pronman's list from January?

Read the bolded in my quote, remove the 15 players that played more than 50 games, and voila both Pronmans lists are equivalent qualifications.

Sandin becomes 56
Brannstrom becomes 39.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa

I may be wrong but I think he was initially pointing out that Sandin was no longer Pronman’s 10th best prospect.

He posted a list that includes under 23 players, but it’s still pretty safe to infer from the list that Sandin wasn’t Pronman’s 10th best prospect in January 2021 given that several prospects from the January 2020 list have leapfrogged him.

Last edited:
Reactions: Golden_Jet

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I may be wrong but I think he was initially pointing out that Sandin was no longer Pronman’s 10th best prospect.

He posted a list that includes under 23 players, but it’s still pretty safe to infer from the list that Sandin wasn’t Pronman’s 10th best prospect in January 2021 given that several prospects from the 2000 list have leapfrogged him.

Exactly and both lists were U23, as 2020 list had Kaprisov on it.
Only difference was 2020 list was 50 games or less played and 2021 didn’t have a max limit, that’s why I excluded 15 players.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Actually surprised original poster didn’t compare Liljegren and Brannstrom as they were the same draft, 2 picks apart.

Yackiberg8

Mar 11, 2016
Halifax
Read the bolded in my quote, remove the 15 players that played more than 50 games, and voila both Pronmans lists are equivalent qualifications.

Sandin becomes 56
Brannstrom becomes 39.
They are not equivalent qualifications because the other list also had the criteria of less than 25 games played in a season combining regular season and playoffs. Neither Sandin or Brannstrom would qualify this year if the same criteria was in place.

If you are just trying to say that Pronman has Brannstrom ranked higher than Sandin than yes you would be correct. Saying Sandin dropped from 10th to whatever place on a completely different list isn't accurate.

Cole Caufield dropped from 4th to 47th, he must've had a pretty bad season.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
They are not equivalent qualifications because the other list also had the criteria of less than 25 games played in a season combining regular season and playoffs. Neither Sandin or Brannstrom would qualify this year if the same criteria was in place.

If you are just trying to say that Pronman has Brannstrom ranked higher than Sandin than yes you would be correct. Saying Sandin dropped from 10th to whatever place on a completely different list isn't accurate.

Cole Caufield dropped from 4th to 47th, he must've had a pretty bad season.

Your correct , 25 games in 1 season or 50 total games.
Note: list was put out in January so this season hadn’t been played yet, new drafts picks caused him to fall, to 47-15=32,
Agreed seems like a big drop, Seems like the new crop of picks bump down some others each year.

Last edited:

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Sandin, for sure. Big playoff goal tonight, to seal it.
Sandin also got worked pretty bad on Montreal’s second goal in the first game. I still go with him though. I don’t think Brannstrom is an NHL defenseman long term

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Sandin also got worked pretty bad on Montreal’s second goal in the first game. I still go with him though. I don’t think Brannstrom is an NHL defenseman long term

Really puzzling assessment after the season and second half he just had as a 21 year old.

Poor Brannstrom, guy cant catch a break.

19 year old season: .5 PPG excellent rookie showing in AHL
20 year old season: Close to PPG in AHL and large cup of tea in NHL
21 year old season: 36 point pace and mainstay in top 4 of one of the hottest and most effective defensive teams in the NHL second half of season.

He's closer to being a future top pair a la Ellis/Spurgeon than he is of not making it in the NHL longterm.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Sandin is better longterm imo. Brännström will be a star in KHL/SHL in 3-5 years.
Both have been a bit overhyped though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad