Speculation: San Jose scouting Chicago

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Chmelevski and Chekhovich are honestly better prospects than anyone Chicago has sans Boqvist and Beaudin(arguable)
I think the Sharks made amazing picks with those 2 guys and for late round picks they really have a shot of making the NHL.

But Jokiharu's 12 pts as a 19 year old Dman in the NHL is more impressive than a F getting 65 pts in the OHL at the same age.

ThorNton Apologist

Jumbo needs a cup
Oct 1, 2006
Cali
I think the Sharks made amazing picks with those 2 guys and for late round picks they really have a shot of making the NHL.

But Jokiharu's 12 pts as a 19 year old Dman in the NHL is more impressive than a F getting 65 pts in the OHL at the same age.
I didn’t include Jokiharu because I no longer consider him a prospect. He will be a top 4 dman for years to come

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
San Jose could be interested in adding a guy like kookoo/forsling/dahlstrom/murphy, more so the last two IMO.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
That's hilarious if you think Toews would waive to go to San Jose. Even if Toews didn't have a NMC, the value is way off and Stan would hang up.

The value is off, but I would think Toews would waive to go almost anywhere that would take on his contract if given the opportunity. CHI is a sinking ship.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
but I would think Toews would waive to go almost anywhere that would take on his contract if given the opportunity. CHI is a sinking ship.
How dense do you have to be to think that?

They're going to erect a Toews statue outside the UC and retire #19. He's going to be a Hawk the rest of his career and go down as the best captain in franchise history.

ThePlanet

Aug 13, 2008
San Jose
Nope. I'd rather trade Jones than Dell at this point. Jones has been slightly better, but that contract looks really bad.

I'll go with size, positioning, and playoff pedigree. While Dell has outstanding reflexes, he is often forced to make spectacular saves due to his rebound control, and smaller stature.
Jones is tied for the league lead in wins, despite playing six fewer games than MAF. I don't view his contract as an issue.

SnarkAttack

Registered Loser
Jan 18, 2011
East Bay, CA
I'll go with size, positioning, and playoff pedigree. While Dell has outstanding reflexes, he is often forced to make spectacular saves due to his rebound control, and smaller stature.
Jones is tied for the league lead in wins, despite playing six fewer games than MAF. I don't view his contract as an issue.

I'm not advocating for Aaron Dell being the goalie of the future. Just that if a team were to take Jones off our hands, and we were able to replace him with a league average goalie, it would benefit the Sharks on the ice, and when trying to re-sign their players.

Wins is a fine way to measure a team, and a much less accurate way to measure a goalie. The Sharks are winning despite Jones, not because of Jones.

ThePlanet

Aug 13, 2008
San Jose
I'm not advocating for Aaron Dell being the goalie of the future. Just that if a team were to take Jones off our hands, and we were able to replace him with a league average goalie, it would benefit the Sharks on the ice, and when trying to re-sign their players.

Wins is a fine way to measure a team, and a much less accurate way to measure a goalie. The Sharks are winning despite Jones, not because of Jones.

I would not advocate dumping Jones, as I don't believe we would see a noticeable improvement in net, with those rumored to be available. The system we play produces quite a few more HDCA than league average, and would victimize nearly any goalie. Buckling down on defense, and a more consistent effort are what the team needs to focus on if we want to reduce our goals against. Despite numbers, I view Jones as being well above league average.

SnarkAttack

Registered Loser
Jan 18, 2011
East Bay, CA
I would not advocate dumping Jones, as I don't believe we would see a noticeable improvement in net, with those rumored to be available. The system we play produces quite a few more HDCA than league average, and would victimize nearly any goalie. Buckling down on defense, and a more consistent effort are what the team needs to focus on if we want to reduce our goals against. Despite numbers, I view Jones as being well above league average.

And his numbers against those chances are poor, as well as in low danger opportunities.

ThePlanet

Aug 13, 2008
San Jose
Back to the topic at hand, who would we realistically target from the Blackhawks line-up? We just acquired Nyquist, so perhaps someone to improve our defensive depth?

ThePlanet

Aug 13, 2008
San Jose
And his numbers against those chances are poor, as well as in low danger opportunities.

Vasi has poor numbers against high danger shots as well, yet Tampa fans have no issues with who is in net. Jones gives us an opportunity to win on most nights, and his playoff numbers are lights out. I would be far more concerned if he wasn't putting up wins.

SnarkAttack

Registered Loser
Jan 18, 2011
East Bay, CA
Vasi has poor numbers against high danger shots as well, yet Tampa fans have no issues with who is in net. Jones gives us an opportunity to win on most nights, and his playoff numbers are lights out. I would be far more concerned if he wasn't putting up wins.

The Sharks are putting up wins. Jones is along for the ride.

As for vasi, his high danger save percentage is 2% better than jones and his total save percentage is almost 4% better. Yeah, I wouldn't complain either.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
It's weird how much scouting they've done. How many games do you need to watch to make a decision? Apparently a month's worth.
Yeah I really don’t know what they could be looking at now. Maybe some of them were looking at other teams also and it was just a coincidence.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
It's weird how much scouting they've done. How many games do you need to watch to make a decision? Apparently a month's worth.

They play each other twice pretty soon. It might really not be anything more than that.

Pro scouting generally isn't all that big of a deal. It's possible that some nepotism is going on and Doug Wilson has a family member/friend who is in the Chicago area and wants to spend some time closer to family.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
San Jose is just watching the Hawks to try figure out how to have a killer offense.

And also how not to defend.

ThePlanet

Aug 13, 2008
San Jose
The Sharks are putting up wins. Jones is along for the ride.

As for vasi, his high danger save percentage is 2% better than jones and his total save percentage is almost 4% better. Yeah, I wouldn't complain either.

Sharks are putting up wins, yes, but they're taking their goalies for a ride, rather than them being along for the ride. Put damn near any goalie in the league in this position, and we'd be having the same discussion.

Perhaps I was looking at Tampa's team HDSV%, rather than Vasi's, because I remember it being much closer than that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad