Speculation: San Jose scouting Chicago

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
San Jose has been regularly scouting the Blackhawks for the past 5 games now.

The trade deadline is imminent.

I think Kruger and Anisimov are the most likely targets.

Would either fit the needs of the Sharks?

(source below)

Last edited:

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
I could possibly see something around Braun for Anisimov. There may have to be some adds, and some rentention somewhere, but I think Ani would be a good replacement for Donskoi.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
It's probably Kruger.

He seems like a Wilson type acquisition to shore up the 4th C spot. Like what they did with Fehr last year.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
I could possibly see something around Braun for Anisimov. There may have to be some adds, and some rentention somewhere, but I think Ani would be a good replacement for Donskoi.
Bottom pairing defenders are the last thing the Hawks need. We have an abundance of them and Braun is still signed another year.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
San Jose has an impending cap crunch, I can’t see them taking on Saad with 2 more years at $6M, or Anisimov with 2 more years at $4.55M.

Kruger, on the other hand, is a possibility.
I agree it could be Kruger. I can't imagine the price being high. Probably a 6th or 7th round pick gets the job done.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Bottom pairing defenders are the last thing the Hawks need. We have an abundance of them and Braun is still signed another year.

If somebody is trading for Braun, they won’t be looking at it as a trade for a bottom pairing guy. They’ll be looking at it as a trade for a guy who plays over 20 minutes per game on a top-5 team with an elite defensive core.

I personally think he sucks and he’s a mediocre bottom pairing guy at best, who is being way overplayed by his coach, but GMs who have interest in him will see it differently.

I agree it could be Kruger. I can't imagine the price being high. Probably a 6th or 7th round pick gets the job done.

What do you think of Kruger?

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
I could see Chicago trying to dump Saad's contract.
We don't really need to, nor would it be a "dump". Saad is on pace for 49 points, playing 3rd line minutes, which is about what he was scoring in Columbus.

He's overpaid a tad, but we don't need to actively shop him either. Basically I think it would have to take a really appealing offer for Bowman to trade Saad.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
If somebody is trading for Braun, they won’t be looking at it as a trade for a bottom pairing guy. They’ll be looking at it as a trade for a guy who plays over 20 minutes per game on a top-5 team with an elite defensive core.

I personally think he sucks and he’s a mediocre bottom pairing guy at best, who is being way overplayed by his coach, but GMs who have interest in him will see it differently.

What do you think of Kruger?
We have a logjam of too many defenders right now that we're trying to weed out, not add onto. I doubt we acquire any defenders unless somehow we can get a bonafide top pairing guy.

I don't care for Kruger. I think he's very replaceable. In fact when Kampf comes off injured reserved, we really won't need him. But he'll likely only cost a 7th round pick so it's not a big payment.

CupfortheSharks

Sponsor
Mar 31, 2008
San Jose
Nearly every time someone posts a list of scouts at a game, San Jose has at least one there. We might just have a scout at every game.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
Kruger in theory would fill a need (4C) but my sense is he is not the player he once was. I don't see Anisimov who has been rumored as a fit for the Sharks for a variety of reasons (position and non-expiring contract).

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
We don't really need to, nor would it be a "dump". Saad is on pace for 49 points, playing 3rd line minutes, which is about what he was scoring in Columbus.

He's overpaid a tad, but we don't need to actively shop him either. Basically I think it would have to take a really appealing offer for Bowman to trade Saad.

Third line minutes? He’s been in the top six with one of Toews or Kane for the most part. He’s averaged over 17 minutes a night which is second line ice time.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Third line minutes? He’s been in the top six with one of Toews or Kane for the most part.
Saad? Nope.

He's been on the third line for at least 2 months now. He's on the second power play unit which almost never sees ice time.

Reactions: Sinbad

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
We have a logjam of too many defenders right now that we're trying to weed out, not add onto. I doubt we acquire any defenders unless somehow we can get a bonafide top pairing guy.

I don't care for Kruger. I think he's very replaceable. In fact when Kampf comes off injured reserved, we really won't need him. But he'll likely only cost a 7th round pick so it's not a big payment.

Braun is an established top-4 RHD. Currently, the majority of your minutes are eaten up by 3 defenders, Keith, Seabrook and that other LHD Gustafsson. A veteran shut-down RHD would go a long way towards shoring up your defense for that playoff push, since you are literally dead last in GA right now.

Sharks on the other hand, have a looming cap crunch, and are going to be forced to make some sacrifices. Trading Braun for Anisimov (even better with 700k retention), would allow us to move Joonas Donskoi either at the TDL or off-season. Kills two birds with one stone in that regard.

I am not saying E4 gonna happen, but I do think it benefits both teams. Justin Braun is a good defender by all metrics. He’s been pushed down San Jose’s right side by two of the best defenseman of the generation, who happen to also both enjoy 25+ minutes a game.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Saad? Nope.

He's been on the third line for at least 2 months now. He's on the second power play unit which almost never sees ice time.

Funny, because dobber has his usage by far the most with Toews and Kahun.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Braun is an established top-4 RHD. Currently, the majority of your minutes are eaten up by 3 defenders, Keith, Seabrook and that other LHD Gustafsson. A veteran shut-down RHD would go a long way towards shoring up your defense for that playoff push, since you are literally dead last in GA right now.

Sharks on the other hand, have a looming cap crunch, and are going to be forced to make some sacrifices. Trading Braun for Anisimov (even better with 700k retention), would allow us to move Joonas Donskoi either at the TDL or off-season. Kills two birds with one stone in that regard.

I am not saying E4 gonna happen, but I do think it benefits both teams. Justin Braun is a good defender by all metrics. He’s been pushed down San Jose’s right side by two of the best defenseman of the generation, who happen to also both enjoy 25+ minutes a game.
The issue has more to do with next season. Murphy, Seabrook, and Jokiharju will all be on the right side. Mitchell is a RHD and likely makes the team next year too. We need to grow our guys, not push them out of the line up.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Funny, because dobber has his usage by far the most with Toews and Kahun.
He played a lot of top 6 in the first half of the year, but the latter half he's been commanding the third line. Probably stays there the remainder of the season.

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
The issue has more to do with next season. Murphy, Seabrook, and Jokiharju will all be on the right side. Mitchell is a RHD and likely makes the team next year too. We need to grow our guys, not push them out of the line up.

JB has this season and next on his contract. And could easily be flipped at the TDL next year to boost return, if Jokiharju was ready to step into the top-4.

Everything I hear out of Chicago is that you guys are trying to make a playoff push.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad