Pre-Game Talk: San Jose @ Rongods

Status
Not open for further replies.

SupersonicMonkey*

5 more games and Stepan is back. That will sort things out. Gonna guess Duclair is sent back to juniors at that time

Hopefully, but remember its a leg injury, so he hasn't been able to work on his legs and most likely his conditioning isn't game ready.

It's going to take time for him to be himself again.

As far as injuries go, we got lucky with Boyle. He can still work on his conditioning.

Killem Dafoe

Hold my baby, man.
Jun 19, 2010
Land of Corn
I don't see how Duke can be scratched.

At any rate, those lines look fine. We need to find some chemistry, and even more so, we need to get mentally tough here.

This should be a real test.

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
Hopefully, but remember its a leg injury, so he hasn't been able to work on his legs and most likely his conditioning isn't game ready.

It's going to take time for him to be himself again.

As far as injuries go, we got lucky with Boyle. He can still work on his conditioning.
Apparently he's been swimming to rehab

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
Glass in while Duke sits is unacceptable.

I hope you guys are starting to realize why some of us were so upset when we signed him now.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Don't understand why you guys think that anything MSL did between deadline and playoffs has anything to do with today.

Killem Dafoe

Hold my baby, man.
Jun 19, 2010
Land of Corn
MSL hasn't looked bad. Also considering he's been playing mostly C in Steps absence. Everyone on the team right now is off a step, once things get clicking we'll be alright.

AHB*

I don't see how Duke can be scratched.

At any rate, those lines look fine. We need to find some chemistry, and even more so, we need to get mentally tough here.

This should be a real test.

Why can't you see how he can be scratched? He hasn't been very effective the past few games and we are going up against a big, Western team. Makes complete sense to me.

I hope you guys are starting to realize why some of us were so upset when we signed him now.

Glass has absolutely nothing to do with Duke. I hate Glass, but Duke isn't a 4th line player. Would make less sense to start Duke and put him on the 4th. Glass over Fast is where my problem lies, or even JT.

The biggest disappointment for me has easily been MSL for me he looks 40 out there.

He was playing a position he hasn't really played in his NHL career. It's completely understandable. Has nothing to do with him being 40....

Killem Dafoe

Hold my baby, man.
Jun 19, 2010
Land of Corn
Why can't you see how he can be scratched? He hasn't been very effective the past few games and we are going up against a big, Western team. Makes complete sense to me.

Neat. But he has looked solid in every game. In games where he wasn't noticeable, no one was really standing out. This team is desperate for some offense and confidence and he can provide both. I can see him being young and needing to take a break, but to say he's being scratched because he hasn't played well in the past few games is weird to me, since the whole team has looked like ****.

AHB*

Neat. But he has looked solid in every game. In games where he wasn't noticeable, no one was really standing out. This team is desperate for some offense and confidence and he can provide both. I can see him being young and needing to take a break, but to say he's being scratched because he hasn't played well in the past few games is weird to me, since the whole team has looked like ****.

No need to be condescending. And i respectfully disagree that he has looked "solid" every game. He loses a ton of battles on the boards and 2 of his 3 assists have come in garbage time. He's had a few good shots here and there, but really hasn't stood out otherwise and he's gotten a fantastic opportunity playing with our 2 best forwards.

He isn't outplaying anyone in our top 9 and with MSL (finally) moving back to his wing position, someone has to be the odd man out. Who are we going to bump down to make room for Duke in the top 9? Stempniak? He's been our best player outside of Nash. He should be getting more playing time, not less and certainly not at the expense of a rookie who has looked mediocre at best.

I'm a big fan of Duke. I think he's going to have a great future with this team. But from what I've seen thus far, he's going to need some more seasoning. His attitude and skills will eventually translate into a very good NHL player, but right now, he's just not ready. I think a lot of people are REALLY trying to see the good things Duke is bringing, but overall he hasn't been very good.

And for what it's worth, the fact that no one else looks very impressive, doesn't really mean much in terms of Duke. We KNOW what Hags, MSL, Kreider, etc can do. They don't need to prove that they can play at the NHL level no matter how crappy they look right now. Duke NEEDS to be proving he is worthy enough to stay here and imo he hasn't done that yet.

I'm not ready to bump down Hags or Stempniak or anyone else at the expense of Duke yet.

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013

Not really, because most of us didn't expect Duke to make the team at that point. If Duke isn't here, it's fine. But being Duke is here, we can have 4 solid, deep lines that can all score. As the other guy mentioned, a setup like this, once Stepan's healthy, would be good:

Kreider-Hayes-Nash
Stempniak-Stepan-MSL
Duclair-Brassard-Zuccarello
Hagelin-Moore-Malone

There's no need for Glass in this kind of setup at all. All four lines have solid scoring depth, with the top 9 being especially good.

If AV is sitting Duke to set a fire under his butt, then I can understand. But if he's doing it out of pure "Duke is the odd man out" kind of thing, then that's just ridiculous. There's no reason to sit Duke over Glass if AV isn't upset with Duke's play.

Killem Dafoe

Hold my baby, man.
Jun 19, 2010
Land of Corn
No need to be condescending. And i respectfully disagree that he has looked "solid" every game. He loses a ton of battles on the boards and 2 of his 3 assists have come in garbage time. He's had a few good shots here and there, but really hasn't stood out otherwise and he's gotten a fantastic opportunity playing with our 2 best forwards.

He isn't outplaying anyone in our top 9 and with MSL (finally) moving back to his wing position, someone has to be the odd man out. Who are we going to bump down to make room for Duke in the top 9? Stempniak? He's been our best player outside of Nash. He should be getting more playing time, not less and certainly not at the expense of a rookie who has looked mediocre at best.

I'm a big fan of Duke. I think he's going to have a great future with this team. But from what I've seen thus far, he's going to need some more seasoning. His attitude and skills will eventually translate into a very good NHL player, but right now, he's just not ready. I think a lot of people are REALLY trying to see the good things Duke is bringing, but overall he hasn't been very good.

And for what it's worth, the fact that no one else looks very impressive, doesn't really mean much in terms of Duke. We KNOW what Hags, MSL, Kreider, etc can do. They don't need to prove that they can play at the NHL level no matter how crappy they look right now. Duke NEEDS to be proving he is worthy enough to stay here and imo he hasn't done that yet.

I'm not ready to bump down Hags or Stempniak or anyone else at the expense of Duke yet.

I didn't mean to be condescending. I dig your opinion, but my rebuttal just came out snarky, so I apologize.

Duke has been better than most of the team so far. Sitting him because he's young isn't a shock, but scratching him because he's not playing well I think is silly.

With the bolded part, I agree. Sitting him so the more seasoned players can play makes sense, but this is a time where I think Duke can really shine. Kid is overstuffed with confidence. Either way though, I don't think it makes a difference. San Jose is a good team, we need to beat them no matter who is playing.

JCrusher*

Apr 16, 2012

very good and fair Points. Fans have to understand that duclair is only 19 and although he has been good there isnt a spot for him in the top 9 especially when stepan comes back. I unterstand people are excited for the kid as am i but i agree they also refuse to show any criticism

Killem Dafoe

Hold my baby, man.
Jun 19, 2010
Land of Corn
very good and fair Points. Fans have to understand that duclair is only 19 and although he has been good there isnt a spot for him in the top 9 especially when stepan comes back. I unterstand people are excited for the kid as am i but i agree they also refuse to show any criticism

I was waiting for you to get in on this. ;)

And fans don't have to understand anything. lol It's a discussion board.

JCrusher*

Apr 16, 2012
[NHL][/NHL]
I was waiting for you to get in on this. ;)
im getting a little sick of the sarcasm. Let me tell you something i was a fan of duclair before we even drafted him. I said he was the biggest steal of the past few years. Im sorry i try not to be a homer and be objective

Killem Dafoe

Hold my baby, man.
Jun 19, 2010
Land of Corn
[NHL][/NHL] im getting a little sick of the sarcasm. Let me tell you something i was a fan of duclair before we even drafted him. I said he was the biggest steal of the past few years. Im sorry i try not to be a homer and be objective

Oh no, I get it. You've made it clear every time someone mentions his name, or says that he's good. You think they are homers who are on the Duke hype train. I understand.

And it wasn't sarcasm. I 100% expected you to say something.

JCrusher*

Apr 16, 2012
Oh no, I get it. You've made it clear every time someone mentions his name, or says that he's good. You think they are homers who are on the Duke hype train. I understand.

And it wasn't sarcasm. I 100% expected you to say something.
by the way my mother is really ill and im taking care of her so no need to be nasty

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I don't think Duclair has been all that impressive with the exception of one or two moments per game. I'm not looking for him to be a guy who "doesn't look uncomfortable." He hasn't been bad, but 19 year olds need to be dynamic to be worthy of staying in the league.

Also, putting Hagelin on line 4 is a complete waste.

JCrusher*

Apr 16, 2012
What? I'm not being nasty my man. Those are literally your words.

Sorry to hear about your mom. (that's honestly not sarcasm)
well if you actually mean it i thank you. However i still dont think its fair the way you talk to me in regards to duclair. I feel i have been both complimentary and fair

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad