knorthern knight

Mar 18, 2011
GTA
No.
Hamilton is it;s own market.
San Jose to SF/Oak
=Tysons Corner to DC

It's more of an edge city.
San Jose shares SF media and is considered part of the market.
There are 9 TV stations in Toronto, and 2 in Hamilton. Both Hamilton stations, even their weak transitional digital versions, can be picked up in Toronto with a good indoor antenna if you have a decent clear view to the southwest. It'll get better once the analogue shutdown happens, and the digital stations go to their final allotments with more power. Canada's analogue shutdown is scheduled for August 31 this year; that's less than 5 months away.

Hamilton to TO
=Baltimore to WAS
Google shows the drive from Copps Coliseum in Hamilton (built years ago for a team that never came) to Air Canada Centre (home of the Leafs) is 67.2 km, approx 40 miles. It's a bit less "as the crow flies".

HabsByTheBay

Dec 3, 2010
London
You are not terribly familiar with San Francisco, I see.

If it does not happen in San Francisco, it doesn't really exist. Like I've said before, that's not a compelling reason to give San Francisco a team, but the Sharks do not have many fans up in SF. People don't really care, to be honest. They had a following during the early years of the franchise - when they, for all intents and purposes, played in San Francisco - but that's faded away dramatically. As many SJers have noted, a local TV station did a straw poll in SF on who Joe Thornton was and most people replied, "Who?"

Part of that might be fixed by better marketing (the Warriors have a better following because they relentlessly emphasized their City roots) but a lot of people in San Francisco just don't drive down south for anything*. San Jose might as well be Sacramento or Fresno to me. It's relatively near me, I know people from there, but I've only been there about a dozen times in my whole life.

It's about 50 miles and see above.

* except to go to work, haha.[/
QUOTE]

Does it get farther at commute time? I commuted there for 30 years and it was the same distance every day.

The joke there is that many people who live in SF commute out of the city to their tech jobs down south.

worstfaceoffmanever

These Snacks Are Odd
Jun 2, 2007
Fargo, ND
Is Nashville even selling out 30+ games a season right now with the Preds??

No, they aren't, but you have to remember that prior to 08-09 (the first full season under current ownership), the club had virtually no corporate base and hardly ever promoted on TV or radio outside of game broadcasts. Freeman and now Cigarran have turned that around: the franchise is everywhere now. Everything is sponsored, and the building sold out 17 dates this year (IIRC), which is the best they've done in quite a while.

And we're talking about a club that had to do without basic staples of American sports teams through the first decade of its existence. An expansion franchise in another city that markets strongly and builds corporate inroads from the outset wouldn't have the severe growing pains many newer clubs are suffering.

Fans need to be able to relate to the franchise in some facet. The reason the Vikings are so damn popular is because its been the foundation of sports in the state of Minnesota and it bares a symbol of the state's origin. The reason the Wolverines are so popular in Michigan is they bare the symbol of what the University is all about. Its hard to move a franchise (i.e. the Jets to Phoenix) and have that identity because they really aren't from there. Its even harder as an expansion team because you are starting from scratch. Either way, yes marketing plays a huge role...but what do you propose they do? You can only do so many appearances with players or open skates on the ice to get the name out there.

But at one point, those clubs weren't established. They had to build a culture and establish roots in the community, and that takes time. It's tough to develop those kinds of profiles in a day and age where everything is expected to be instant or near-instant, but the impatience of a handful of people should not be reason enough to abandon the thought of expansion to certain markets. If it were, teams would be moving left and right or even folding all together, and the sport would be completely irrelevant in the eyes and minds of the typical American sports fans.

When teams market, they have to reach a broad audience. Every team makes public appearances, and those are great, but they typically only target one demographic at a time. To reach a mass audience, you have to use mass media. Promoting on local TV, radio, and billboards across the market are critical to generating fan interest. If you don't do those things on a large enough scale, you won't sell out too many games. That's true for any sport, not just hockey, and examples of it are everywhere.

Atlanta is becoming a large transplant city at this point, but think of it this way...if it can't work there what makes people believe it would actually work in OKC or even San Fran?? Because there are more white people living there?? (honest question and not a racial question)

No. Again, the criteria for a successful expansion franchise are:

-Competent ownership. ASG is far from that.
-Strong marketing. Atlanta hasn't had that for much of its history, and from my understanding, radio coverage in that market is not particularly good, which hurts a great deal.
-Good corporate base. Can't really comment on that, but if ASG's "success" in other areas is an indicator, I doubt there's much in the way of a corporate base.
-Reasonably competitive product. Atlanta has one playoff appearance to its credit and was run into the ground by Don Waddell's awful drafting.

From casual conversations in Corvallis and Lake Oswego with locals in those areas they thought hockey was barbaric and something that "midwesterners" played because they weren't good at football.

Those aren't liberals. Those are idiots, and they exist everywhere.

And what money would be spent on a competitive hockey team? Its a capped league meaning they can only spend the same amount as Detroit, Pittsburgh, or even New York. This isn't baseball where its free reign on whoever you want.

Eleven teams spent to within $100k of the cap last year, and all but two (Calgary and New Jersey) made the playoffs. Even in a capped league, there is no requirement that every team spend to that cap, and as such, teams that spend more are generally able to field more talented teams than those that don't, and are generally more competitive than those that don't (New Jersey was the only team that finished worse than 9th in either conference). Paul Allen would almost certainly be one of those owners that routinely spends to the cap.

I always like to attribute a cities ability to support a NHL team by if they can support a NFL team.

You shouldn't, for the very reason you go on to mention. The NFL is the exception rather than the rule in modern sports: they could put a team in Juneau and sell 60,000 tickets a game.

There really isn't any definitive measuring stick for determining whether a hockey team will be successful in a given market. A lot of it really depends on the quality of the owner(s) and their ability to entrench the team in the community.

The reason I can see Milwaukee with a team over Portland is there is actual interest in the league and sport in that area.

Was there widespread interest in the sport in Nashville? Tampa Bay? San Jose? The whole point of expansion is not to capitalize on existing interest: it is to create new interest in the sport. While the results of the last wave of expansion have been mixed, it has propagated hockey into markets that wouldn't have dreamed of developing hockey players 40 years ago, and the league should continue its expansion into uncharted territory; if those markets don't work out after, say, fifteen years or so, then you relocate those teams to areas where the interest existed previously.

mucker*

San Francisco already has a team, the San Jose Sharks.
They play in the US defined Bay Area census market and are treated for all intensive purposes like the regional team in that specified area.

Market already served.

mfw13

Oct 20, 2006
Some thoughts from a native San Franciscan who was an original Sharks season ticket holder when the played at the Cow Palace...

To start with, this discussion is moot unless a new arena is built in downtown SF, and that ain't happening anytime soon. Secondly, one of the main reason the Sharks do not have a huge following in SF is that the SF newspapers do not cover the team. The Chronicle has a beat writer assigned to cover the Warriors, but not the Sharks. Thirdly, keep in mind that although the Bay Area as a whole has a population of 6-7 million, not that many people actually live in the city of San Francisco itself (only about 700,000). There are far more people living withing a 30-minute drive of downtown San Jose than there are living within 30 minutes of downtown San Francisco. If the NHL were to seriously consider putting a second team in the Bay Area, it would be much more logical to place a team in Oakland, where it could share an arena with the Warriors and draw from the vast family-friendly suburbs of the East Bay.

mucker*

Some thoughts from a native San Franciscan who was an original Sharks season ticket holder when the played at the Cow Palace...

To start with, this discussion is moot unless a new arena is built in downtown SF, and that ain't happening anytime soon. Secondly, one of the main reason the Sharks do not have a huge following in SF is that the SF newspapers do not cover the team. The Chronicle has a beat writer assigned to cover the Warriors, but not the Sharks. Thirdly, keep in mind that although the Bay Area as a whole has a population of 6-7 million, not that many people actually live in the city of San Francisco itself (only about 700,000). There are far more people living withing a 30-minute drive of downtown San Jose than there are living within 30 minutes of downtown San Francisco. If the NHL were to seriously consider putting a second team in the Bay Area, it would be much more logical to place a team in Oakland, where it could share an arena with the Warriors and draw from the vast family-friendly suburbs of the East Bay.
Are you serious?
I thought the Sharks, given that they sellout, were a regional team with a big following all over the bay region.
How come they do not get coverage in the SF paper?

For all intensively purposes, I thought being SJ was pretty much like the Ottawa Senators being in Kanata.
Or like the Detroit Pistons playing Auburn Hills, pretty much a more edge city/suburban location for the region.

Are you saying the Sharks are more or less treated like the Baltimore Ravens would be in Washington DC?

I'm shocked.
I mean if the Sharks DO NOT have a following in SF, then why do they draw so well and seem to get such great support?

Where is the Sharks base from?

I honestly do not know why anyone would want a 2nd team in the Bay. Do you really want to split that 0.8 average local rating into two?
I think that rating is unfair, first CA teams in all sports (aside from the Lakers) don't get great ratings because
1) The weather is nice
2) Surfs up
3) WST

Further, the Sharks I bet if you isolate Santa Clara and Silicion Valley get a very high rating.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
I mean if the Sharks DO NOT have a following in SF, then why do they draw so well and seem to get such great support?

You make it sound like San Jose is a dinky little town of about 50,000 people. Almost 1 million people live there.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
You make it sound like San Jose is a dinky little town of about 50,000 people. Almost 1 million people live there.

Yup - San Jose passed that little burgh up the Peninsula twenty years ago and is over 2.5x the size of Oakland. The South Bay (Santa Clara County) is 2x the population of San Francisco.

San Jose is actually the 10th largest city in the US (based on population) - it passed Detroit in 2004 to reach #10.

And mfw13 does overstate the "SF doesn't support the Sharks" a bit.

I know many Sharks STHs from SF - many of them are folks who commute down to the South Bay for jobs.

As to where the bulk of the Sharks fanbase comes from, my guesstimate would be:

1. Santa Clara County
2. San Mateo County
3. Alameda County
4. San Francisco County

Together, those 4 counties account for ~5M of the Bay Area's ~7M population.

mfw13

Oct 20, 2006
And mfw13 does overstate the "SF doesn't support the Sharks" a bit.

KDB....if you are going to quote me, at least do so correctly. I never said that SF doesn't support the Sharks. What I said is that the Sharks do not have a huge following in the city, which is true. In San Francisco proper, the Giants and 49ers are unequivocably at the top of the pyramid, with the Warriors 3rd and the Sharks 4th. It's not just coincidence that the Sharks are the only team without a SF beat writer and that when there is a conflict between the Sharks and Warriors on CSNBA, it's the Sharks who get bumped.

HabsByTheBay

Dec 3, 2010
London

Oakland could potentially lose all three of their sports teams in the next 10 years, I don't see how you could argue that's a good place for a team. There's no there there and the Oracle Arena, while a decent arena, is in a crappy part of town in a city that is full of crappy parts of town.

If the plans the Warriors and Giants have discussed about a new arena near the ballpark ever came to fruition, that would be a no-brainer versus Oakland. You have an area where way more people are milling around than even downtown Oakland, you have BART access to all those family-friendly suburbs and you have a way more compelling place to take your family than a late-night parking lot off Hegenberger Road.

Also I disagree the lack of media coverage is driving the tepid interest in SF... the rot set in way before that. I remember high interest when they started playing and then when they made their Cinderella playoff run in '94. The general fading of interest in hockey all over California started not long after and Sharks interest in SF faded even as the team got better, which I would probably put down to them not playing in SF anymore. The Chronicle could still afford a beat writer then (and the Examiner was actually a real newspaper) and they did have them. Not having one now is just an obvious place to cut corners for a cash-strapped newspaper. The Sharks totally stopped marketing in San Francisco too, which doesn't help. I remember their roller hockey programs being all over the South Bay with nothing north of Palo Alto. Their mantra was "We're the South Bay's team, screw the rest of you".

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
I think that rating is unfair, first CA teams in all sports (aside from the Lakers) don't get great ratings because
1) The weather is nice
2) Surfs up
3) WST

I don't know how the weather and all that is going to affect all other teams but not the Lakers.

California is simply a pretty terrible environment for sports given the rather transient population. Only about half the population of Cali was born in Cali and in major metropolitan areas that's an even smaller percentage. If you go back and look at grandparents even you'd probably find that the vast majority of urban Californians have no deep roots in the state.

Sports really are just another entertainment option here (an impression I definitely got myself at sporting events in CA).

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
KDB....if you are going to quote me, at least do so correctly. I never said that SF doesn't support the Sharks. What I said is that the Sharks do not have a huge following in the city, which is true. In San Francisco proper, the Giants and 49ers are unequivocably at the top of the pyramid, with the Warriors 3rd and the Sharks 4th. It's not just coincidence that the Sharks are the only team without a SF beat writer and that when there is a conflict between the Sharks and Warriors on CSNBA, it's the Sharks who get bumped.

Color me confused/are you sure you have your facts correct?

The Sharks have not been on CSNBA for two seasons. They are shown on CSNCA. (And the NBA Kings get preempted in the Bay Area proper on CSNCA when there's a conflict between them and Sharks.) The Oakland As were preempted in the first two rounds when the Sharks had a local 'cast.

And for the past couple of rounds Chron has had 1-2 original stories a day. Sulser I believe is a member of the PHWA and wrote a few original stories during the season..

HabsByTheBay

Dec 3, 2010
London
Jake Leonard seems to be the Chron's designated hockey writer now, but they definitely do not have a beat guy.

It's a far cry from 95 when you had the Chron and the Examiner with beats for the Sharks AND the Spiders.

HabsByTheBay

Dec 3, 2010
London
I don't know how the weather and all that is going to affect all other teams but not the Lakers.

California is simply a pretty terrible environment for sports given the rather transient population. Only about half the population of Cali was born in Cali and in major metropolitan areas that's an even smaller percentage. If you go back and look at grandparents even you'd probably find that the vast majority of urban Californians have no deep roots in the state.

Sports really are just another entertainment option here (an impression I definitely got myself at sporting events in CA).
The idea California is a terrible environment for sports doesn't mesh with the decades of strong attendance by Lakers, Dodgers, USC, UCLA, Warriors, Kings, 49ers, Giants and Sharks fans.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
The idea California is a terrible environment for sports doesn't mesh with the decades of strong attendance by Lakers, Dodgers, USC, UCLA, Warriors, Kings, 49ers, Giants and Sharks fans.

It's the most populous state, Greater L.A. has 17-18 million, the Bay Area has 7-8 million, San Diego has 3 million. And it's a major tourist destination. It's not surprising you'd have some franchises there who can draw attendance, but you can hardly argue with a passion deficit given the leaving early and frontrunner culture of the place.

mfw13

Oct 20, 2006
Color me confused/are you sure you have your facts correct?

The Sharks have not been on CSNBA for two seasons. They are shown on CSNCA. (And the NBA Kings get preempted in the Bay Area proper on CSNCA when there's a conflict between them and Sharks.) The Oakland As were preempted in the first two rounds when the Sharks had a local 'cast.

And for the past couple of rounds Chron has had 1-2 original stories a day. Sulser I believe is a member of the PHWA and wrote a few original stories during the season..

With regards to which channels the Sharks are not or what they are currently called, no...I very well may have my facts wrong. I don't currently live in the Bay Area, and only watch the Sharks on TV when I am visiting family. Those channels have gone through so many renaming and reorgs, that I very well may have my facts wrong in that respect.

However, I am correct in regards to the Sharks not having a Chronicle beat writer, as I still do read the Chron online every morning. Coverage has been increased slightly during the playoffs, as would be expected, but is virtually non-existent during the regular season.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
It's the most populous state, Greater L.A. has 17-18 million, the Bay Area has 7-8 million, San Diego has 3 million. And it's a major tourist destination. It's not surprising you'd have some franchises there who can draw attendance, but you can hardly argue with a passion deficit given the leaving early and frontrunner culture of the place.

You confuse LA with everywhere else in California.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
You caught me out, my outlook was mostly colored by experiences in L.A. but then I've seen Raiders and A's games played in half-empty stadiums with a rather depressing aura of decline engulfing the entire event.

Steelhead16

Jan 29, 2005
Boise, ID
Are you serious?
I thought the Sharks, given that they sellout, were a regional team with a big following all over the bay region.
How come they do not get coverage in the SF paper?

For all intensively purposes, I thought being SJ was pretty much like the Ottawa Senators being in Kanata.
Or like the Detroit Pistons playing Auburn Hills, pretty much a more edge city/suburban location for the region.

Are you saying the Sharks are more or less treated like the Baltimore Ravens would be in Washington DC?

I'm shocked.

1) The weather is nice
2) Surfs up
3) WST

Further, the Sharks I bet if you isolate Santa Clara and Silicion Valley get a very high rating.

San Francisco only accounts for just over 10% of the population in the Bay Area.

HabsByTheBay

Dec 3, 2010
London
Yeah, I can.

Every fanbase arrives late and leaves early, and every fanbase has front runner fans. Boston fans absolutely ignored the Bruins until three weeks ago. All those Ranger fans holding up "I can now die in peace!!!!!" signs in 1994 are nowhere to be found now.

HabsByTheBay

Dec 3, 2010
London
You caught me out, my outlook was mostly colored by experiences in L.A. but then I've seen Raiders and A's games played in half-empty stadiums with a rather depressing aura of decline engulfing the entire event.
That's because the vast majority of people in the Bay Area are Giants and especially 49ers fans. The Giants who drew 2.8 million with a terrible team in 2008 and the 49ers who have sold out every game for 30 years.

You are confusing lack of passion with lack of fans. A's and Raiders fans don't lack passion, they lack fans.

krudmonk

Jan 12, 2006
Sannozay
Um, wouldn't they be called the San Francisco Sharks then?
The reality is that it's somewhere between those two analogies, but closer to the latter. Think of the Orioles before Washington had a baseball team.

SpartanTom

May 11, 2011
Ann Arbor, MI
San Jose = larger population, larger geographic footprint; and becoming bigger financially with more company HQs.

San Francisco = reducing in all of the above

San Francisco is definitely not losing population or business, it's growing. According to the 2010 census, its population is 805,235, while San Jose is 945,942. Not that much of a difference. Plus I think a larger geographic footprint is a negative. That just means it's less dense, so people need to travel farther. Add to that the fact that San Francisco is the cultural/entertainment hub of the bay area with plenty of transit serving it, and I think the sharks could definitely end up there in the long run and be very successful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad