San Francisco for the NHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick Nash homework

Jun 5, 2010
Massachusetts
Though I think the Canadian cities deserve their teams first, I would look out for Seattle/Portland and Wisconsin in the future to have their teams. But thinking about any city that could have the NHL, I was thinking about the city of San Francisco and how well would they handle the NHL. The positives are there but there negatives to having the NHL there.

Pro: The city is a affluent/progressive city, which the NHL tends to do well in(Montreal, Boston, New York, and Minnesota).

Con: There is no arena built and the city isn't going to do anything about it. Also they would be competing with the Sharks in the Bay Area and the Sharks have developed a fantastic fanbase for a city that doesn't have any hockey history. This right here kills their chance at getting any NHL team there, unless the Sharks want to move away from San Jose, which is a 00000001% chance of that happening at the moment.

Kebekoi

Oct 3, 2006
Matane, QC
I think that the Cali market is crowded right now.

They need a team in the US Northwest (Seattle or Portland) and a second team in Texas (Houston or Austin).

PhillyWings

May 10, 2010
PA
Too close to San Jose. Seattle does not have a suitable arena. I do not see that changing anytime soon.

Rick Nash homework

Jun 5, 2010
Massachusetts
I think that the Cali market is crowded right now.

They need a team in the US Northwest (Seattle or Portland) and a second team in Texas (Houston or Austin).

I'm not sure about Houston having a team but Austin is good choice if the NHL wants a second team in Texas. The city has no competition in any of the pro sports, so a NHL team would be good start to see how well of a sports market it is. Second off it has a educated/wealthy/progressive group of people, which usually can help a NHL team or two. There was a poll not too along go saying the NHL had the most tech savvy, well educated fan base of any pro sport.

Rick Nash homework

Jun 5, 2010
Massachusetts
Can you think of another reason why the NHL does well in those cities (hint: it has nothing to do with being affluent or progressive)?

The cities have teams with tons of history. Well, Minnesota not so much but the state sure love it's hockey, even if it's a team that is often consider boring to the non-Wild fans.

Last edited:

RTN

Be Kind, Rewind
Aug 28, 2008
Though I think the Canadian cities deserve their teams first, I would look out for Seattle/Portland and Wisconsin in the future to have their teams. But thinking about any city that could have the NHL, I was thinking about the city of San Francisco and how well would they handle the NHL. The positives are there but there negatives to having the NHL there.

Pro: The city is a affluent/progressive city, which the NHL tends to do well in(Montreal, Boston, New York, and Minnesota).

Con: There is no arena built and the city isn't going to do anything about it. Also they would be competing with the Sharks in the Bay Area and the Sharks have developed a fantastic fanbase for a city that doesn't have any hockey history. This right here kills their chance at getting any NHL team there, unless the Sharks want to move away from San Jose, which is a 00000001% chance of that happening at the moment.

Those are pretty important. 4 teams in California make no sense.

Steve Passless*

This would only happen if the Golden State Warriors built the San Francisco arena they seem to covet and got the Sharks to tag along as a co-anchor.

Personally, I wish the Sharks had stayed closer to the San Francisco/Daly City part of the Bay Area and built their arena near the old Cow Palace. "San Francisco Sharks" sounds a lot better than "San Jose Sharks" to me. San Francisco is widely considered one of the greatest cities in the world. San Jose is a place that someone asked for directions to.

leoleo3535

Feb 25, 2010
hockey rinks

They had the Seals for 9 years on their doorstep....40 miles away.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
Also they would be competing with the Sharks in the Bay Area and the Sharks have developed a fantastic fanbase for a city that doesn't have any hockey history.

The Bay Area has a tremendous professional hockey history - just because it wasn't the NHL (for the most part), that doesn't make it not relevant or not important.

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006
I'm not sure about Houston having a team but Austin is good choice if the NHL wants a second team in Texas. The city has no competition in any of the pro sports, so a NHL team would be good start to see how well of a sports market it is. Second off it has a educated/wealthy/progressive group of people, which usually can help a NHL team or two. There was a poll not too along go saying the NHL had the most tech savvy, well educated fan base of any pro sport.

Austin is way too focused on college sports like Madison Wisconsin. Milwaukee is in Chicago zone so they would need approval and I am not sure they could support an NHL team. The Bucks are having issues with money and competitiveness. The NHL team would also be second in getting dates to the Bucks.

Houston might be able to but it will take a while to build a fan base and they would be second to the Rockets in dates at the arena.

Most people in the SF area that are hockey fans that I have met are Shark fans. Also, as with Milwaukee, need Sharks approval and i doubt that would happen.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
This would only happen if the Golden State Warriors built the San Francisco arena they seem to covet and got the Sharks to tag along as a co-anchor.

Personally, I wish the Sharks had stayed closer to the San Francisco/Daly City part of the Bay Area and built their arena near the old Cow Palace. "San Francisco Sharks" sounds a lot better than "San Jose Sharks" to me. San Francisco is widely considered one of the greatest cities in the world. San Jose is a place that someone asked for directions to.

San Jose is significantly larger than San Francisco - almost 2x if you compare it against Santa Clara County.

There are also more sports fans in the South Bay. For both the Giants and Niners there are more season ticket holders who live in the South Bay than in San Francisco.

Valhuen

Secretary of Defense
Apr 10, 2011
Tucson via Spokane
Dude, snow that's falling from the sky and doesn't go in your nose, wool coats and hats, skating on outdoor rinks, that sort of thing. Winter.

The factor that predicts support of hockey is cold weather and not left-leaning politics.

And there you have it, a simple fact that far too many have trouble grasping.

CloakroomCrusader

Dec 3, 2005
Columbus
Dude, snow that's falling from the sky and doesn't go in your nose, wool coats and hats, skating on outdoor rinks, that sort of thing. Winter.

The factor that predicts support of hockey is cold weather and not left-leaning politics.

Yeah because snow falls all the time in LA, Tampa Bay, St. Louis, and Raleigh.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Yeah because snow falls all the time in LA, Tampa Bay, St. Louis, and Raleigh.

None of those places support hockey the way Canada or New England or the Upper Midwest do - or Sweden and Finland for that matter. Really, you can put a NHL team anywhere that has an arena and if there's enough people around and you put enough ads on local radio you may even sell out a few games but that doesn't mean the sport is at home in that place.

The notion that winter in its proper cold to medium temperate form is a predictor for hockey popularity is certainly a lot more reasonable than thinking liberals are somehow predisposed to being hockey fans (Don Cherry would probably be quite angry at that suggestion).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->