Samuel Girard - Best player from the 3 way trade?

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
Yeah just as long as he doesn't face Forsberg one on one very often...

Mackinnon literally had Subban swimming on the ice on his back for the Avs last minute goal in game 5. Pretty much every dman has a bad play against them but it doesn’t define them at all. Girard is quite good defensively.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
I like Girard, and have since his first camp. But the guy saying he’s better than Ekholm is over the top, and I did not understand how much over the top until I read the he’s more physical than Ekholm post.

I think if you go back you’ll see I said last year Girard was your best defenseman

Reactions: Pia8988

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Mackinnon literally had Subban swimming on the ice on his back for the Avs last minute goal in game 5. Pretty much every dman has a bad play against them but it doesn’t define them at all. Girard is quite good defensively.
You act like I don't know this. We were the ones trying to tell Av's fans he was good. After reading some of this non-sense though I had to stir the pot just a little.

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
You act like I don't know this. We were the ones trying to tell Av's fans he was good. After reading some of this non-sense though I had to stir the pot just a little.
Stirring the pot serves no purpose but to drag yourself down as well, especially if you know the message your sending is intentionally ignorant. You’re welcome to think Ekholm is a better hockey player, I think the general hockey opinion would agree with you. There’s many ways to support that opinion in a factual way like using stats, usage, or using more intangible arguments like the fact that Ekholm fits the Predators better or that he’s a great leader. Going about it that way would convince others that your opinion is the right one, posting a video of a bad play does nothing to change ones opinion or have yours taken more seriously.

Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
whatever makes you feel better.

The fact of the matter is, to them he was a spare part. They already have 4 Dmen more skilled than he is, so he was an expendable asset to trade to fill a more immediate need.

The same reason they were able to trade Seth Jones for a center, although they only had 2 D better than Seth jones at the time

That usage is why the asset was expendable, not what that asset was worth on the market...

Last edited:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
The Sens are hit and miss in the 1st round. Especially late 1st, they tend to go for the Curtis Lazar, Andreas Englund types (character guys that are unspectacular but safe). They shine brightly in the later rounds though.

Bowers is exactly what you described. But your being wilfully blind if you haven't seen him being touted as better than Tkachuk and having big top 6 potential by Avs fans on the main boards.

It was definitely been happening prior to the start of the season.

Pointing out that Bowers production matched Tkachuk's at the same age at the NCAA level isn't exactly the same as saying he's a better NHL prospect...although as previously mentioned, not all of our posters are the most reasonable of folks...

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
I'm always blown away watching him. Such an elegant and talented player. It's unfair to compare a defenseman to a forward, especially an established 1st-liner.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I like Girard, and have since his first camp. But the guy saying he’s better than Ekholm is over the top, and I did not understand how much over the top until I read the he’s more physical than Ekholm post.

I think if you go back you’ll see I said last year Girard was your best defenseman

He's over the top but you're under-estimating the step that it looks like Samwise has taken this year. As Girard wasn't our best blueliner last year -- Zadorov, Johnson & Barrie were all better -- but he has been this go around...so far.

It's early still, but if this is his new normal then Girard v Ellis will be a lot less silly a discussion than it might sound to you now.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Girard is a 20 year old top 4 D with room for improvement. That's pretty damn good and valuable. The fact that Sakic got such a massive return for Duchene is insane. Everyone knew Duchene was going to be traded and he was coming of a brutal season, he was not that valuable.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Most Nashville fans saw how good Girard was and realized he was a huge draft steal. The problem is we already had the best top 4 in the league plus several serviceable defenders fighting for ice time. Girard was 9th on the depth chart and really doesn’t play a bottom pairing style. We needed a Turris level player moreso than him.
Also he was 2nd best defensive prospect behind Fabbro so it wasn’t a horrible deal for us.

Reactions: ConorMcGregor

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Girard is a 20 year old top 4 D with room for improvement. That's pretty damn good and valuable. The fact that Sakic got such a massive return for Duchene is insane. Everyone knew Duchene was going to be traded and he was coming of a brutal season, he was not that valuable.

That's true but Duchene has 42 points in his last 40 games played.

It's pretty hard to say that anyone in that trade is better than him right now.

Reactions: Samsquanch

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
He's over the top but you're under-estimating the step that it looks like Samwise has taken this year. As Girard wasn't our best blueliner last year -- Zadorov, Johnson & Barrie were all better -- but he has been this go around...so far.

It's early still, but if this is his new normal then Girard v Ellis will be a lot less silly a discussion than it might sound to you now.
Not in the playoffs

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016
He is good, but still needs time and learning.... But man, the Preds know how to draft D-Men.

What a great Trade for us. Not only because of Girard, but also Kamenev, Bowers, 1st from Ottawa....

Reactions: Mr Zappalanche

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
That usage is why the asset was expendable, not what that asset was worth on the market...
What the asset was worth on the Market was 2nd round drafted prospect. What he has done so far is put up 3 assists in 8 games this year, 20 points in 68 games last year and not being counted on to suit up for every playoff game.

I think you want to pat yourself on the back for getting a hell of a prospect. I can respect that. But you are typing like he is already a superstar and he is not.

If you are trying to say you fleeced them in the trade by implying he was considered more than a 2nd round prospect with upside, no no you did not. You are fortunate that the prospect is blossoming more under your system than he did with the Admirals. But he still has not proven anything at NHL level in anything more than a 2 week sample.

If he finishes the year with 50 points and +20 then you can start to say you creamed them in that trade in hindsight. As of right now, Nashville they got what they wanted, you got what you wanted, and it worked out for both. Seth Jones is eons better and they traded him for Johansen and that trade worked out for both parties too.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Love Girard's game. So much composure. Great skater, makes a good first pass, top notch escapability, defends well 1-1, smart positionally. Reminds me a lot of Brian Rafalski.

I see him as the new model for young defenseman coming into the league.

He's definitely more valuable than Duchene at this point, but hard to compare a C to a D.

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
What the asset was worth on the Market was 2nd round drafted prospect. What he has done so far is put up 3 assists in 8 games this year, 20 points in 68 games last year and not being counted on to suit up for every playoff game.

I think you want to pat yourself on the back for getting a hell of a prospect. I can respect that. But you are typing like he is already a superstar and he is not.

If you are trying to say you fleeced them in the trade by implying he was considered more than a 2nd round prospect with upside, no no you did not. You are fortunate that the prospect is blossoming more under your system than he did with the Admirals. But he still has not proven anything at NHL level in anything more than a 2 week sample.

If he finishes the year with 50 points and +20 then you can start to say you creamed them in that trade in hindsight. As of right now, Nashville they got what they wanted, you got what you wanted, and it worked out for both. Seth Jones is eons better and they traded him for Johansen and that trade worked out for both parties too.
From the bolded I don’t think you’ve been following the situation very closely. I think the Girard case is similar to a guy like Slavin, if you weren’t a high draft pick it takes people a longer time to accept the player which is fair. Carolina fans were beating the Slavin drum long before he was accepted as a top notch young blue liner. By this time next year I think Girard will he rated comfortably in the Chabot/Hughes/Makar tier by most posters after they’ve gotten more chances to see him play their team. You really need to watch him to understand what makes him special and I get the sense you haven’t done a lot of that.

Reactions: cgf and Lemonlimey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad