Samuel Girard - Best player from the 3 way trade?

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017

He’s very good at beating the dump and chase, plays like this are super common for Girard where he dekes players with nothing but skating. If you dump it into his corner you might as well just pass it to him cause they both have the same result.

Reactions: MacBradley

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Like I said he is solid. Yall act like that's a bad thing or because I don't act like he is the second coming of Bobby Orr that I'm talking bad about him. He's a good solid Dman, in a few years he may be regarded as great, time or insane stats will prove that out.
If there were a stat for spin moves it already would be!:soap:

Reactions: cgf and MacBradley

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
That's what he was here and what he would have been for years.

Honestly, how many years do you give him to replace one of our top 4?

He had less value to us than a 2nd line center, just like Jones had less value than a 1st line center.

And if you want to really talk about bumping threads go back and read the Duchene threads that your fans blasted us for saying Girard should be part of a trade for Duchene. You guys pretty much called us idiots for suggesting it and laughed about Girard being special and called him an average prospect.

Bowers gets talked about by Avs fans like hes a sure fire top 6 prospect (many even suggesting that hes better than Tkachuk lmao!!).

Yet while in Ottawa he was (and still would be) our 5th or 6th best prospect at best. A late 1st rounder with top 9 potential.

Last edited:

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
Like I said he is solid. Yall act like that's a bad thing or because I don't act like he is the second coming of Bobby Orr that I'm talking bad about him. He's a good solid Dman, in a few years he may be regarded as great, time or insane stats will prove that out.
Ah I see I think we’re in agreement it’s just a difference in our vocabulary. To me solid would be a Dermott level guy where I’d probably use another adjective for a guy like Quinn Hughes or Chabot or Girard.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Bowers gets talked about by Avs fans like a sure top 6 prospect (many even suggesting that hes better than Tkachuk lmao!!).
That's absolutely not the case. The majority of Avs fans think he'll be a good 3rd line center and has some 2nd line potential.

And why are you besmirching the Sens drafting all the sudden?

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
That's what he was here and what he would have been for years.

Honestly, how many years do you give him to replace one of our top 4?

He had less value to us than a 2nd line center, just like Jones had less value than a 1st line center.

And if you want to really talk about bumping threads go back and read the Duchene threads that your fans blasted us for saying Girard should be part of a trade for Duchene. You guys pretty much called us idiots for suggesting it and laughed about Girard being special and called him an average prospect.

Within a year(If not already) he will be better then 2 of your Top 4 Defenders.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
That's absolutely not the case. The majority of Avs fans think he'll be a good 3rd line center and has some 2nd line potential.

And why are you besmirching the Sens drafting all the sudden?

The Sens are hit and miss in the 1st round. Especially late 1st, they tend to go for the Curtis Lazar, Andreas Englund types (character guys that are unspectacular but safe). They shine brightly in the later rounds though.

Bowers is exactly what you described. But your being wilfully blind if you haven't seen him being touted as better than Tkachuk and having big top 6 potential by Avs fans on the main boards.

It was definitely been happening prior to the start of the season.

Last edited:

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
The Sens are hit and miss in the 1st round. Especially late 1st, they tend to go for the Curtis Lazar, Andreas Englund types (character guys that are unspectacular but safe).

Bowers is exactly what you described. But your being wilfully blind if you haven't seen him being touted as better than Tkachuk and having big top 6 potential by Avs fans on the main boards.

It has definitely been happening prior to the start of the season.
I don’t think Avs fans have been saying Bowers is better than Tkachuk, but I’ve definitely seen the comparison that Bowers outscored him on the same team last year. I don’t think those posts were because Bowers is better, it was just a neat fact that showed that Bowers might have more offensive potential than originally thought. I actually would usually see it go the other way, where people would question Tkachuk’s offensive upside since he produced like Bowers last year, Brady has put a lot of those concerns to rest however with some stellar play this year.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
I like Girard a lot, but why are people calling him a 1D? He's 4th among Avs dmen in TOI/GP, and the Avs have a fairly mediocre group of dmen (note - not bad, mediocre). Last year he was 5th among Avs dmen in TOI/GP. In contrast, Duchene is actually a 1C, today - he's clearly the top player in the trade at the moment.

Now, in terms of value, Duchene is 27 years old and becomes a UFA at the end of this season. Girard is 20, still has this year and the next on his super cheap rookie deal, and then he becomes an RFA, where he can be signed to another good contract. So in terms of trade value I do think Girard is the better asset - give me likely 6+ more years of a budding young dman (who's already a legit 2nd pair dman, and has top pairing potential) over 1 more year of Duchene any day. Add in a likely high 1st round pick, Bowers and Kamenev and the trade is obviously amazing for Colorado. But that's different than saying Girard > Duchene today, which IMO is clearly not true.

Reactions: FieldOfDreams

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I like Girard a lot, but why are people calling him a 1D? He's 4th among Avs dmen in TOI/GP, and the Avs have a fairly mediocre group of dmen (note - not bad, mediocre). Last year he was 5th among Avs dmen in TOI/GP. In contrast, Duchene is actually a 1C, today - he's clearly the top player in the trade at the moment.

He's #1 in even strength time on ice for the Avs. He doesn't PK(Because of his size, not his actual defensive game), and as of right now he only runs the 2nd PP unit(I expect this to change very soon given the 1st PP unit struggles while the 2nd unit has excelled under Girards command this year).

Like I said, he has been the Avs best Defender by a pretty significant margin so far this year.

It'll take time for people who dont watch us every night, but soon enough people will realize what Avs fans are seeing and saying right now.

Reactions: Foppberg

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Girard definitely has a higher ceiling and can make some insane plays, but Ekholm is better at the moment. I love Girard and he's very composed for his age, but he's still making rookie mistakes. One night he'll look like a #1 defenseman, the next game he'll be making a bunch of rookie mistakes.

Would I trade Girard for Ekholm? I'd be lying if I said i'd take Girard without a second thought considering Ekholm has one of the best contracts in the league, but given the age-gap and potential i'd probably lean towards Girard.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
I would trade Duchene for him straight up every time, let alone all the other pieces we got. Unless you regularly watch him you won't appreciate him. Very excited to see this guy continue to grow, a 20 year old 5'10 Dman playing #1 ES minutes? He's special.

And you could argue 'well Colorado doesn't have a real #1 anyways' and hey fair enough, but the fact that he's playing the way he is and actually looks good says a ton.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
Nah. Girard is a #1 dman for us, whereas only 1 of those preds can be a #1 dman for them. That means that Girard > 3 of those Preds blueliners.
whatever makes you feel better.

The fact of the matter is, to them he was a spare part. They already have 4 Dmen more skilled than he is, so he was an expendable asset to trade to fill a more immediate need.

The same reason they were able to trade Seth Jones for a center, although they only had 2 D better than Seth jones at the time

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I wouldn't even say he's not a hitter.

With his added muscle this year he is throwing his body around a lot more this year. Averaging close to a hit per game this year(More hits then Mr. 6'4 Shut down defender Ekholm might I add) and using his body to actually separate guys from the puck quite effectively.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad