News: Samson reinhart looking to move on

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
This is sad. It's the Oilers all over again.
Some Oil fans will tell you that McDavid was part of the 3rd consecutive rebuild.

1 - Edmonton loses in the SC Finals to Carolina and tons of players that got them there left via free agency. Over the following few seasons Edmonton was forced into a rebuild. After having acquired Gagner, Nilson and Cogliano, Kevin Lowe and Craig Mactavish went out of their way to convince the media that Edmonton was ready to compete.
2 - Literally a few seasons later it was evident that Edmonton still sucked balls. Time for rebuild #2. Hall, Hopkins, Klefbom, Eberle and Yakupov drafted. Team never did anything. Never had goaltending. Never had any solid 2 way forwards you could put on the ice for 15 minutes a game. Never had a top 2 d-man. #fail #timeforanotherrebuild
3 - Nurse, McDavid, Drai --->> And here we are now.

What's happening in Buffalo is more of the same except... there's reasons to have opinions that they'd get better or worse value than what Edmonton got for Hall. If Eichel gets surgery and plays a few games before getting traded, they'll get a huge return. If he's traded before that, the value will be horrible. With other players just wanting to walk... man this is nasty. Best they get more for Ristolainen than Edmonton got out of what they got for Eberle.

If Ottawa can pull off getting the first overall pick, I offer it to Buffalo at the draft, tell Eichel to heal up and look forward to making the playoffs as soon as Eichel gets back.

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
Salary cap issues aside, what gets it done from the Canucks? My offer would be Podkolzin + top 10 1st round pick this draft. I probably don’t make the trade if the Canucks pick in the top 5.

Of course the Sabres would prefer 1st + Hoglander.

Given my preference for a severe tank next season, I'd take Loui to chew up salary cap.

2021 1st
Hoglander
Loui
Virtanen
Juolevi

Virtanen and Juolevi as players Vancouver probably doesn't miss or value much, but would make a Sabres tank roster next season. Upgrade Podkolzin to Hoglander, and we take Loui's salary?

Edit: Would add the Bruins 2nd rounder we have this year to balance it out.

Last edited:

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Of course the Sabres would prefer 1st + Hoglander.

Given my preference for a severe tank next season, I'd take Loui to chew up salary cap.

2021 1st
Hoglander
Loui
Virtanen
Juolevi

Virtanen and Juolevi as players Vancouver probably doesn't miss or value much, but would make a Sabres tank roster next season. Upgrade Podkolzin to Hoglander, and we take Loui's salary?

Edit: Would add the Bruins 2nd rounder we have this year to balance it out.
This is terrible for Vancouver.

Like burns when you pee terrible.

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
This is terrible for Vancouver.

Like burns when you pee terrible.

How high is the 2021 1st currently?

Reinhart is a 35 goal 70 point a season guy for you. If its just for one season of Reinhart it is absolutely an awful trade. My assumption with any Reinhart trade is a long term deal is already worked out.

Hoglander plus 10th/11th overall in the upcoming draft seems fair to me. Dont care much about Virtanen or Juolevi. What is it worth to you to dump Loui or is his salary for one more season no longer an issue?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Reinhart is a 35 goal 70 point a season guy for you. If its just for one season of Reinhart it is absolutely an awful trade. My assumption with any Reinhart trade is a long term deal is already worked out.

Hoglander plus 10th/11the overall in the upcoming draft seems fair to me. Dont care much about Virtanen or Juolevi. What is it worth to you to dump Loui or is his salary for one more season no longer an issue?
Canucks are simply not a player away from being a dangerous team.

Sam is a year younger than Bo, and I wonder if Bo is going to fit into the window with how badly Benning has screwed up the cap situation. Bo is 26 but needs a new deal when he is 28. How long a contract will he demand and how long will he be good on that contract?

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010

Hoglander plus 10th/11th overall in the upcoming draft seems fair to me. Dont care much about Virtanen or Juolevi. What is it worth to you to dump Loui or is his salary for one more season no longer an issue?
The 1st could be Top 5.

Reinhart is more a luxury with the current Top 6 and Podkolzin coming next year.

Plus the Canucks can’t afford to resign him with the other crap co tracts still on the roster, the flat cap and having to pay EP and Hughes.

Reactions: elchud

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Whoever gets Reinhart is going to be a happy franchise. Once he was switched back to C where he belonged all this time- he began playing like a top pick.

If you want to know how bad the Sabres management and coaching has been over the past 5 years look no further than every regime playing Samson at wing over center. Shit, even a majority of Sabres fans knew this was a dumb move given Reinhart's IQ for the game and play making ability, but the people making millions of dollars were dumbfounded by this idea over and over again. Trash franchise makes trash decisions. More at 11!

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Whoever gets Reinhart is going to be a happy franchise. Once he was switched back to C where he belonged all this time- he began playing like a top pick.

If you want to know how bad the Sabres management and coaching has been over the past 5 years look no further than every regime playing Samson at wing over center. Shit, even a majority of Sabres fans knew this was a dumb move given Reinhart's IQ for the game and play making ability, but the people making millions of dollars were dumbfounded by this idea over and over again. Trash franchise makes trash decisions. More at 11!
The NHL trend to play true centers as wing is dumbfounding. It is like teams put young centers on the wing to "make the transition easier on them" and then the next day they look at the same player and think he is a winger and cannot hack it at center in the NHL.

Reactions: Dubi Doo

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
You're out of your mind.

You took a terrible idea and made it even worse
Lol. Maybe. Reinhart is a top line caliber player though and is in the prime of his career. If he's open to signing a long-term deal there is it really "terrible"? Realistically what do we think/hope Boldy becomes? A 60ish point player that can play in all situations? That's what you're getting in Reinhart, no real chance of "busting" and as a bonus he's shown he can play well at center (albeit in a small sample size).

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Lol. Maybe. Reinhart is a top line caliber player though and is in the prime of his career. If he's open to signing a long-term deal there is it really "terrible"? Realistically what do we think/hope Boldy becomes? A 60ish point player that can play in all situations? That's what you're getting in Reinhart, no real chance of "busting" and as a bonus he's shown he can play well at center (albeit in a small sample size).
Wait, did you mean Boldy straight up for Reinhart? I read it as Boldy would be the add to the 2 first rounders that the other guy was offering. Boldy straight up is a fair ask for Reinhart. You're not going to get it, but it's a fair idea.

Reactions: is the answer jesus

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Does he play C? If so, Oilers should be all over this. Don't re-sign RNH, have Reinhart in that place and that allows McDrai to play together full time.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Does he play C? If so, Oilers should be all over this. Don't re-sign RNH, have Reinhart in that place and that allows McDrai to play together full time.
I don't think he's played much C in Buffalo. From what I have heard over the radio these past couple of years is that Buffalo is looking for a 2C, because Mittlestadt is slower to develop, which may be one of the main contributors to them taking Cozens in 2019. C wouldn't seem to be a need if Buffalo was using Eichel and Reinhart as C. I can understand when ROR was in Buffalo that Reinhart wouldn't see much C time as they would play an offensive player like him on the wing, but ROR has been gone for 3 seasons now, so if Reinhart was a full time NHL C, they should have shifted him to C after ROR was traded.

RNH and Reinhart's points totals seem pretty similar over the past few years.

Yog S'loth

Sep 7, 2005
Southern California
I feel for Sabres fans. They deserve better. My Dad is from Buffalo area, so I have a big soft spot for those teams... Bills as well... incredibly rabid fans, but no success, ever.

The franchise has always felt like it should just be euthanized. They had that one crazy season with Scotty Bowman a million years ago, and that brief window when Hasek carried the franchise on his back, but other than that, they've always just been a small-market, no money, no prospects, no game plan, no future franchise. Even my Kings, as pathetic as they always are, have never missed the playoffs ten years in a row.

I don't know how you ever fix a franchise that will never have money or infrastructure.

[EDIT] Also, F**** Brett Hull. FOOT WAS IN THE CREASE.

Reactions: ClassicBusiness

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
...finishing comfortably out of the playoffs every year but not bad enough to get a premium draft pick as usual.

My Best-Carey
Reinhart would help more than hurt. You gave the exact reason why the Flames should be looking for a top 6 C/RW

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Hear me out.

We trade Eriksson, Roussel, Beagle, Virtanen and Holtby for Eichel, Ristolainen and Reinhart, all at max retention. Dahlin, McCabe, Middelstadt, Cozens and Ukko-Pekka are part of the deal as well. Any other players or prospects of note would be included as well.

We rebrand as the Vancouffalo Sabnucks, and we play alternating years in Vancouver and in Buffalo.

We win all the cups from here on, the playoffs will merely be a format to see who we crush.

Any player not pulling their weight, or simply not worth their cap hit, get traded to the Buffouver Canbers, who are farmed for lottery win draft picks.
f*** i love this post. Lol.

Reactions: Cogburn

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I would be all over this, but I expect we would need to trade our 1st (possibly 2022), and probably either a top prospect like Brobert or Holloway, and a young roster player like Bear or Yamamoto. I'd do it, but whatever price we have to pay for REinhart will hurt.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA

He played C for most of the 2nd half of this year, was ppg and looked damned good doing it. His faceoff winning is a bit "meh", but he's got everything you want for a center otherwise.

I would be all over this, but I expect we would need to trade our 1st (possibly 2022), and probably either a top prospect like Brobert or Holloway, and a young roster player like Bear or Yamamoto. I'd do it, but whatever price we have to pay for REinhart will hurt.

I don't think a guy like Reinhart gets 3 quality pieces. Maybe 2 and a decent enough throw-in.

A 1st and Broberg/Holloway with a small sweetener probably gets it done.

Reactions: TFHockey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad