Recalled/Assigned: Sami Aittokallio

Status
Not open for further replies.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
That's pretty much how I feel about it, too.

We're going to need a backup soon, and I'd hate to trade away that (possible) backup as a meager throw-in.

Let them develop, and then trade one (the lesser between them) away when his value is higher.

Exactly. This is why I'd actually prefer giving Pickard the first crack at the job next year and letting Aitto just keeping growing in the A. I see sami as having the most potential of any of the kids in our pipeline, and so would rather see if Pickard can't come in and establish some value before we make a move for Sami to join the big league team for seriouslies.

MvpKinnon

Jul 23, 2011
Helsinki, Finland
I'm feeling good about this. There's a good chance Sami will get a start by looking at the schedule.

I would be disappointed if they didn't give him one game, just to see where he's at. We're in a good spot in the standings and Varly needs rest too.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
Wild fan in peace. How has Aittokallio been so far this season? Do you guys see a future for him in the NHL?

Thanks in advance.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
He certainly has a future. But he is stuck on a horrible team right now, so his stats are pretty well shot.

Good to hear you think he has a future! His stats certainly aren't that good this season. How has he looked otherwise, not looking at his stats?

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
Good to hear you think he has a future! His stats certainly aren't that good this season. How has he looked otherwise, not looking at his stats?

I haven't seen him play at all, but the team loves him. He was the last goalie cut during pre-season, and is 3rd on the depth chart right now. There is a good chance he will be the primary backup next year.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
I haven't seen him play at all, but the team loves him. He was the last goalie cut during pre-season, and is 3rd on the depth chart right now. There is a good chance he will be the primary backup next year.

Not much of a chance he becomes back-up next year. Next year the plan should be for him to get called up and get some games. I don't trust a 22yo to be a full time back-up goalie and no team in the NHL would either.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
Not much of a chance he becomes back-up next year. Next year the plan should be for him to get called up and get some games. I don't trust a 22yo to be a full time back-up goalie and no team in the NHL would either.

Thank you for the responses.

Hope he does well for you guys! (Not too well against the Wild of course ;)).

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I bet he plays against your Iowa Wild today, you can probably see for yourself.

He's talented but raw. Lacks focus sometimes but can very well stand on his head at times too. He'd probably be fine eventually developed as a backup.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

From what I understand, the Monsters are a pretty awful defensive team.

If the Wylde are looking for a goalie they should be aiming for James Reimer. Although speaking as an Avs fan, I hope they don't.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
From what I understand, the Monsters are a pretty awful defensive team.

If the Wylde are looking for a goalie they should be aiming for James Reimer. Although speaking as an Avs fan, I hope they don't.

I'm just curious as a Finn how he's doing. Although I wouldn't mind him wearing a Wild jersey.

Anyway, thanks for the responses.

AvsfanJack

Jun 30, 2013
Windsor

Completely disagree. A full time backup goalie with us get's like 20 games. Giguere won't be around next season. I don't think it's bad at all to allow him to be a backup and learn from Allaire. The coaching staff in LE are incompetent. If he's gonna grow, he needs real coaches. If Raanta can be a starter at 24, I think it's fair to say Aitto can watch and learn at 22.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Completely disagree. A full time backup goalie with us get's like 20 games. Giguere won't be around next season. I don't think it's bad at all to allow him to be a backup and learn from Allaire. The coaching staff in LE are incompetent. If he's gonna grow, he needs real coaches. If Raanta can be a starter at 24, I think it's fair to say Aitto can watch and learn at 22.

Show me a team at the start of the season that went into the season with a 22yo back up goalie who had yet to play a full NHL game. Allaire's protege is down in LE coaching the goalies. Raanta isn't a true starter. He was a fill in due to the Crawford injury. Maybe next season he can be a starter someplace or back up but he's further ahead in his development then either Aittokallio or Pickard.

AvsfanJack

Jun 30, 2013
Windsor
Show me a team at the start of the season that went into the season with a 22yo back up goalie who had yet to play a full NHL game. Allaire's protege is down in LE coaching the goalies. Raanta isn't a true starter. He was a fill in due to the Crawford injury. Maybe next season he can be a starter someplace or back up but he's further ahead in his development then either Aittokallio or Pickard.

Sorry man I'm at work, I can't look that stuff up here. I'm not even supposed to be on HF :laugh: But that would be cool if someone could look into that. I'd like to know as well who are the younger backups or starters in the league.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
NHL Goalie Tandems to Start the Season:

Anahiem: Hiller (31yo)/Fasth (31yo)
Boston: Rask (26yo)/Johnson (27yo)
Buffalo: Miller (33yo)/Enroth (25yo)
Calgary: MacDonald (33yo)/ Berra (27yo)/ Ramo (27yo)
Carolina: Ward (29yo)/Khudobin (27yo)
Chicago: Crawford (29yo)/Khabibulin (41yo)
Colorado: Varlamov (25yo)/Giguere (36yo)
Columbus: Bobrovsky (25yo)/McElhinney (30yo)
Dallas: Lehtonen (30yo)/Ellis (33yo)
Detroit: Howard (29yo)/Gustavsson (29yo)
Edmonton: Dubnyk (27yo)/LaBarbera (34yo)
Florida: Markstrom (23yo)/Clemmensen (36yo)/Thomas (39yo)
LA: Quick (27yo)/Scrivens (27yo)
Minnesota: Backstrom (35yo)/Harding (27yo)
Montreal: Price (26yo)/Budaj (31yo)
Nashville: Rinne (31yo)/Hutton (28yo)
New Jersey: Schneider (27yo)/Brodeur (41yo)
New York (I): Nabokov (38yo)/Poulin (23yo)
New York (R): Lundqvist (31yo)/Biron (36yo)
Ottawa: Anderson (32yo)/Lehner (22yo)
Philadelphia: Mason (25yo)/Emery (31yo)
Phoenix: Smith (31yo)/Griess (27yo)
Pittsburgh: Fleury (29yo)/Vokoun (37yo)/Zatkoff (26yo)
San Jose: Niemi (30yo)/Stalock (26yo)
St. Louis: Halak (28yo)/Elliott (28yo)
Tampa Bay: Bishop (27yo)/Lindback (25yo)
Toronto: Bernier (25yo)/Reimer (25yo)
Vancouver: Loungo (34yo)/Lack (26yo)
Washington: Holtby (24yo)/Neuvirth (25yo)
Winnipeg: Pavelec (26yo)/Montoya (28yo)

So as you can see no team went into the season with a 22yo back up goalie that had little to no NHL experience. The only 22yo back up goalie was Lehner who had a lot more NHL experience then both Aittokallio and Pickard. Plus Lehner had a better and more impact in the AHL then either of them. Unless one of Pickard or Aittokallio go crazy and win a Calder Cup then they're not ready.

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL
NHL Goalie Tandems to Start the Season:

Anahiem: Hiller (31yo)/Fasth (31yo)
Boston: Rask (26yo)/Johnson (27yo)
Buffalo: Miller (33yo)/Enroth (25yo)
Calgary: MacDonald (33yo)/ Berra (27yo)/ Ramo (27yo)
Carolina: Ward (29yo)/Khudobin (27yo)
Chicago: Crawford (29yo)/Khabibulin (41yo)
Colorado: Varlamov (25yo)/Giguere (36yo)
Columbus: Bobrovsky (25yo)/McElhinney (30yo)
Dallas: Lehtonen (30yo)/Ellis (33yo)
Detroit: Howard (29yo)/Gustavsson (29yo)
Edmonton: Dubnyk (27yo)/LaBarbera (34yo)
Florida: Markstrom (23yo)/Clemmensen (36yo)/Thomas (39yo)
LA: Quick (27yo)/Scrivens (27yo)
Minnesota: Backstrom (35yo)/Harding (27yo)
Montreal: Price (26yo)/Budaj (31yo)
Nashville: Rinne (31yo)/Hutton (28yo)
New Jersey: Schneider (27yo)/Brodeur (41yo)
New York (I): Nabokov (38yo)/Poulin (23yo)
New York (R): Lundqvist (31yo)/Biron (36yo)
Ottawa: Anderson (32yo)/Lehner (22yo)
Philadelphia: Mason (25yo)/Emery (31yo)
Phoenix: Smith (31yo)/Griess (27yo)
Pittsburgh: Fleury (29yo)/Vokoun (37yo)/Zatkoff (26yo)
San Jose: Niemi (30yo)/Stalock (26yo)
St. Louis: Halak (28yo)/Elliott (28yo)
Tampa Bay: Bishop (27yo)/Lindback (25yo)
Toronto: Bernier (25yo)/Reimer (25yo)
Vancouver: Loungo (34yo)/Lack (26yo)
Washington: Holtby (24yo)/Neuvirth (25yo)
Winnipeg: Pavelec (26yo)/Montoya (28yo)

So as you can see no team went into the season with a 22yo back up goalie that had little to no NHL experience. The only 22yo back up goalie was Lehner who had a lot more NHL experience then both Aittokallio and Pickard. Plus Lehner had a better and more impact in the AHL then either of them. Unless one of Pickard or Aittokallio go crazy and win a Calder Cup then they're not ready.

You do realize that at one point most of those 25-28 year olds were either part of a 22-23 year old goalie tandem or were the back up right?

Washington for instance at one point had Varly,Neuvirth and Holtby up fighting for the #1 spot or giving each reps years ago.
Bernier was the back up to Quick when he was what, 22-23?
Reimer himself was Giggy's back up and they had Gustavsson.
Lindback was the back up of Rinne before he was traded.
Halak was the back up to Price at a young age.

Aittokallio's age will have nothing to do with whether he plays with the Avs as the primary back up next year or in the future. It will be where he is in his developmental stage
Varly is young and can play a lot of game so we are under no real pressure to push any of the young guys in the pipeline.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I want Giguere resigned for one more year. He's a great locker room guy and brings the veteran presence. Hell, Mack was living with his family for the majority of this season. Even if he is slower, he still is a competitor and if we upgrade our defense, we shouldn't have to put as much pressure on our goalies like we do this season.

niwotsblessing

May 1, 2010
City of Holy Faith
Roy said after the game that there is a small chance Sami would get the start against Tampa. Might as well see what he can do in the NHL. At the very least Sami got an all expenses paid trip to Florida in the midst of a Cleveland winter. :handclap:

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
Roy said after the game that there is a small chance Sami would get the start against Tampa. Might as well see what he can do in the NHL. At the very least Sami got an all expenses paid trip to Florida in the midst of a Cleveland winter. :handclap:

And like ten times as much salary per day then what he gets in the AHL. :)

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I've wondered how two-way contracts work. Does he get paid on a per game basis? So he would get around $8300 (680K/82) for each game he's in the NHL. Or do they do it based on days spent at the NHL level?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad