Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Even the best organizations make some inexplicably dumb moves when it comes to goaltenders. Chicago, Phoenix, and Nashville are recent examples. IMO no single, solitary netminder should have a cap hit above $5 million, nor should they have a term longer than 4-5 years.

And no, you don't trade Aittokallio now. He has no pro experience whatsoever. His value is pretty much nil at this point.

As for Giguere, we'll see. I thought he was done when he was in Toronto recovering from a very serious groin injury. Turns out he wasn't. There might still be a little left in the tank.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
If Sami has a decent game, I expect him to be dealt at the deadline in a package deal for a defenseman. Or possibly an NHL forward if they make a separate D trade.

There's a few teams like Buffalo and Winnipeg that could be looking to make moves, and are looking for young goaltending help. The Avs seem pretty happy with Varly, and have some decent prospects who might be close in Aitto and Pickard, along with Martin for potential down the road. They can easily give up one of them, and Aitto probably has the most value.

None of them have any real value yet. Our goalies will start becoming assets we can actually use around next years deadline at the earliest, and that's assuming Sami or Pickard get some starts this year and take the back up job next.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Even the best organizations make some inexplicably dumb moves when it comes to goaltenders. Chicago, Phoenix, and Nashville are recent examples. IMO no single, solitary netminder should have a cap hit above $5 million, nor should they have a term longer than 4-5 years.

And no, you don't trade Aittokallio now. He has no pro experience whatsoever. His value is pretty much nil at this point.

As for Giguere, we'll see. I thought he was done when he was in Toronto recovering from a very serious groin injury. Turns out he wasn't. There might still be a little left in the tank.

I'd gladly give Varly 5-5.5 over 4-6 years.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
The only reason I see one traded this year is if the Avs need contract space to sign new prospects this summer but I think they will keep all of them. Aitto will not be the one traded if one is. Roy is too high on him.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
The only reason I see one traded this year is if the Avs need contract space to sign new prospects this summer but I think they will keep all of them. Aitto will not be the one traded if one is. Roy is too high on him.

I would think Millan or Patterson would be the first to go, seeing as they are three years older than Pickard/Aittokallio.

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
The market for goalie prospects is terrible at the moment. Just ask the Ducks. And the Avs will need a backup sooner or later. No way Sami or Pickard will be traded at the deadline.

AvsfanJack

Jun 30, 2013
Windsor
What if Sami is the next Rask? And we're stupid and trade him without giving him a chance like the Leafs did? I would be furious. I know Rask was more highly touted but still . You don't trade your goalie prospects without seeing what they can do.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
What if Sami is the next Rask? And we're stupid and trade him without giving him a chance like the Leafs did? I would be furious. I know Rask was more highly touted but still . You don't trade your goalie prospects without seeing what they can do.

Sami could be the next Rask and he could easily be the next Phillipe Sauve.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
None of them have any real value yet. Our goalies will start becoming assets we can actually use around next years deadline at the earliest, and that's assuming Sami or Pickard get some starts this year and take the back up job next.

By themselves they don't, but 95% of prospects don't have any value because it's not clear what they'll become. However, they're traded all the time in package deals when the main interest is an established player, and they ask for a prospect to hopefully pan out and tip the scales of the deal in their favor. I guarantee you a team without an established starter locked up long term is gonna ask about a guy like Sami in a package deal like that. He may not have value but he may make a team more interested in an Avalanche package deal than another team's because Sami has come along pretty well so far. There's definitely enough there for a team to be interested.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I'd gladly give Varly 5-5.5 over 4-6 years.

That does seem to be the comfortable number for a lot of players on the team. I say they just give all of them (O'Reilly, Staz, and Varly) the same $5.5M six year deal and call it a day.

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
Of course there is risk in trading any of the 4 goalies....however the greater risk/waste is to hold one or two of them back playing for the Cutthroats for too long. If one or two of them can be used in a package to get a piece for the now, it should be done as to not waste their value away. The odds of any of the 4 actually being a middle to upper tier NHL goalie at any point is not great if you look at the odds of a goalie prospect actually developing.

This all of course depends on what you think of Varlamov and if the Avs are willing to hitch their wagon to him long term.

AvsfanJack

Jun 30, 2013
Windsor
Of course there is risk in trading any of the 4 goalies....however the greater risk/waste is to hold one or two of them back playing for the Cutthroats for too long. If one or two of them can be used in a package to get a piece for the now, it should be done as to not waste their value away. The odds of any of the 4 actually being a middle to upper tier NHL goalie at any point is not great if you look at the odds of a goalie prospect actually developing.

This all of course depends on what you think of Varlamov and if the Avs are willing to hitch their wagon to him long term.

Your kind of fighting for both sides of the argument a bit. You say a trade would be wise, but also say the odds of any of them developing is not great. Based on? Goalies have to come from somewhere. If we do trade, and we dont hitch with Varly then what? Sign a couple scrubs and become the Oilers? You gotta have faith in your prospects or your team will go nowhere real fast. The odds of one of them being a serviceable backup if not starter are pretty good in my eyes.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I agree although they would return less than Pickard being in the ECHL.

Is the difference between a 3rd/4th round pick and a 5th nearly as significant as the difference in likelihood of Pickard/Aitto becoming NHL starters versus that of Pickard/Millan? I don't think it is so I'd rather lose the less valuable prospect.

That does seem to be the comfortable number for a lot of players on the team. I say they just give all of them (O'Reilly, Staz, and Varly) the same $5.5M six year deal and call it a day.

It's the Landy/ Dutchy deals. If all our core pieces that need contracts soon take deals like that we'd be in great financial shape with guys being pretty fairly rewarded.

Last edited by a moderator:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
In a package these kids would be throw ins, not pieces that move the meter much, and if we're throwing in a goalie prospect I'm not handing away Sami, Pickard or Martin.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
In a package these kids would be throw ins, not pieces that move the meter much, and if we're throwing in a goalie prospect I'm not handing away Sami, Pickard or Martin.

That's pretty much how I feel about it, too.

We're going to need a backup soon, and I'd hate to trade away that (possible) backup as a meager throw-in.

Let them develop, and then trade one (the lesser between them) away when his value is higher.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad